HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why not Gorges as our #4 d-man?

Old
11-30-2008, 12:20 PM
GeneralMarky79

vCash: 500
Why not Gorges as our #4 d-man?

I have been thinking alot lately and reading all the negativity on this board and it is kind of shameful how much we criticize our team. I know we have high expectations and all but give the guys a break we are just in a slump. I have also been thinking why not have "Captain Kelowna" Josh Gorges as our #4 D-man? I mean the kid is playing great with Markov and is gaining a ton of confidence. We definately got a steal on this trade But anyway I realize that Gainey is probably going to assess the team soon more likely when Komisarek comes back but wouldnt it be great to see Komi and Hammer as a shut down pair in the playoffs? Man would that ever be sweet! But more than likely Gainey will probably trade for a veteran D somewhere down the road. Id just hate to see him trade any D prospects with the way Gorges has been playing! Lets hear some discussion

GeneralMarky79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 12:24 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
No offence, but there have been a million posts on THIS EXACT SUBJECT. Gorges *is* our # 4 d-man when everyone is healthy. People just want *another* d-man to round out the group so that neither O'Byrne nor Brisebois is a regular come crunch time.

Markov - Komisarek
Hamrlik - Gorges
Bouillon - NEW # 4 CALIBRE D-MAN

Looks like a great group to me.

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 12:33 PM
habman6

Hamrlik with Gorges would be quite studly

habman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 12:35 PM
GeneralMarky79

Quote:
Originally Posted by #11 Saku Koivu View Post
No offence, but there have been a million posts on THIS EXACT SUBJECT. Gorges *is* our # 4 d-man when everyone is healthy. People just want *another* d-man to round out the group so that neither O'Byrne nor Brisebois is a regular come crunch time.

Markov - Komisarek
Hamrlik - Gorges

Yah for sure I realize what your saying. Im more less trying to say Komi and Hammer would be unreal together and maybe it wouldnt hurt to keep Gorges with Markov if he keeps playing with confidence. But yes it would also be good to add another D.

GeneralMarky79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 12:36 PM
Corey

I'd say that as of now Gorges is perhaps the second most reliable Dman in the Habs' defensive zone. He doesn't make many mistakes.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 01:08 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Gorges is too busy being our #2 defenseman at the moment.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 01:11 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
because Kaberle will be our 2nd and Komi our 3rd and Hammer our 4th prancing around with the cup come spring

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 01:27 PM
Turboflex*

Quote:

Markov - Komisarek
Hamrlik - Gorges

AGREED. Habs are in serious trouble if they're going into playoffs with Breezer and O'Byrne as #6 Dman. They need to be #7 and #8.

They badly need a seasoned canadian #4-5 calibre Dman who plays with grit and knows what it takes to win deep in playoffs, even Detroit did that last season picking up Stuart at deadline. Book it that Gainey will address this closer to deadline (due to cap constrictions at the moment).

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 01:29 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
because Kaberle will be our 2nd and Komi our 3rd and Hammer our 4th prancing around with the cup come spring
I have no doubt in my mind Kaberle will get traded this season. He's not meshing with Wilson's 'block shots or die' kind of coaching.

Old
11-30-2008, 02:09 PM
Adam91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
I have no doubt in my mind Kaberle will get traded this season. He's not meshing with Wilson's 'block shots or die' kind of coaching.
Hahaha,

Does he have an NTC?

Adam91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 02:24 PM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam91 View Post
Hahaha,

Does he have an NTC?
Yes. There was a rumoured deal at last year's deadline of something based around Kaberle for Jeff Carter and a first, but Tomas nixed it with his clause.

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 02:58 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Yes. There was a rumoured deal at last year's deadline of something based around Kaberle for Jeff Carter and a first, but Tomas nixed it with his clause.
Easier to nix a trade by an old geezer like Fletcher compared to a tyrant like Burke.

Old
11-30-2008, 03:09 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Gorges has pretty much been our 4th D man all year long (In terms of minutes played before Komi was injured) Now he's playing a lot more.

When Komisarek comes back, he will continue to play top 4 D minutes. But unless we add another solid top 4 type defenseman. Gorges will probably be placed back with Cube. While either Breezer or O'Byrne will be back with Hamrlik. It's the only way that makes sense to give us 3 balanced defense pairs.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 03:21 PM
le_sean

Gorges is a good player but the Habs really need a puckmover at the backend, one that can help the PP as well.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 03:35 PM
morgan_mtl

I believe we have our #4 but its not Gorges for me .....Komisarek is.

Markov - Gorges
Hamrlik - Komi
Boullion - Brisebois .... O'B or someone new not Dandy for me

morgan_mtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 03:46 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgan_mtl View Post
I believe we have our #4 but its not Gorges for me .....Komisarek is.

Markov - Gorges
Hamrlik - Komi
Boullion - Brisebois .... O'B or someone new not Dandy for me
LOL lets not overrate him now.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 04:02 PM
morgan_mtl

I was not really going on overating Gorges but going on better fitting imo. Gorges is playing well with Markov and seems to be able to handle the minutes. I would be very comfortable having Hamrlik and komi play shutdown duo against other teams 1st lines. And for the last duo of Boullion and fill the blank to get 12 to 14 minutes max a game.

morgan_mtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 04:06 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboflex View Post
AGREED. Habs are in serious trouble if they're going into playoffs with Breezer and O'Byrne as #6 Dman. They need to be #7 and #8.

They badly need a seasoned canadian #4-5 calibre Dman who plays with grit and knows what it takes to win deep in playoffs, even Detroit did that last season picking up Stuart at deadline. Book it that Gainey will address this closer to deadline (due to cap constrictions at the moment).
You just described Komisarek, except for the experience deep in playoffs, and that he was born 400 miles south of the Canadian border.

People are fooled by the "pairing" idea. The fact is, our best defenceman is Markov, and our second best defenceman is Hamrlik, and both are LD, and thus they don't play together. This is fine because it means that we have one of the two on the ice about 46-49 minutes per game.

Our third best defenceman may well be Gorges. He is better at retrieving shoot-ins than Komisarek or any of the others not yet mentioned that we have. He also rarely makes gaffes. What is nice about Komi is his toughness, not only hitting, but blocking shots. (By the way, Gorges and Hamrlik block a lot of shots too, relative to the league average). On a team that doesn't have many hard hitters, Komisarek's importance is definitely magnified but he is not, IMO, a #2 D-man.

Bouillon is #5, and I'd rather ideally see him as #7. On the other hand, not many teams have a better #6 than Cube, so maybe I'm placing my hopes too high. But another #4/5 guy is just what we need, IMO. Breezer is certainly not that guy, I am pretty sure that Dandenault is NOT that guy and O'Byrne could BECOME that guy, so I don't mind if we try another 25 games to see where he is headed, and then make a deadline deal if necessary (which I think it will be - for this year).

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 04:43 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

you guys see breezer against the sabres last night? This is what has driven me crazy about him throughout his career. He played a sound game, his best game of the year.... yet you just know he's going to have a clunker in the near future.

The inconsistency drives me nuts.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 04:51 PM
Turboflex*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
You just described Komisarek, except for the experience deep in playoffs, and that he was born 400 miles south of the Canadian border.
We need another guy like him for the playoffs. If the habs are going deep they need more d depth.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 04:54 PM
Magic33

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Gorges is a good player but the Habs really need a puckmover at the backend, one that can help the PP as well.
Agreed. I really want to see someone who will move the puck from the backhand. Our D-core isn't exactly offensively talented. Gorges, Komi, O'Byrne, Hammer, Bouillon will get a point here and there, but they arent like Markov. We need an offensive minded D-Man who is decent in his own end.

Magic33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 05:15 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Before Komisarek's injury, ice time average had,

1. Markov
2. Hammer
3. Komi
4. Gorges
5. Bouillon
6. Brezzy
7. O'B

So when Komi is back, I would think that's what we will see again, with Brezzy and O'B rotating in and out. Unless they send O'B down and go with Dandy/Brezzy as the 6th and 7th D's.

To me that's what it should be. Markov is clearly the best D so he should get the most ice, Hammer gets the 2nd most ice just ahead of Komi, then Gorges, so our top 4 ice time leaders on defense is what is should be. Bouillon gets the next highest amount of ice, Brezzy/O'B get the least ice. At this point I'd consider sending down O'B, since he clearly needs to refocus and get back on track, plus if they don't send him down soon he'll have to clear waivers since he has 52 games in the nhl.

montreal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 06:56 PM
CaptKirk

anyone think nashville would flip o'byrne for kevin klein

CaptKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 03:18 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Tons of heart but the Habs would not be ambitious if they thought of Gorges as their fourth guy.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 08:47 PM
shortcat1

Gorges has been upgraded, by sportsnet.ca, as a 4th defenseman.

For a long time, he was considered 6th or 7th.

It looks like his work ethic, qualities and aptitude have made him recognized by these non-partisan evaluators as a higher quality defenseman.

What a huge steal by Gainey! Gorges & Pacioretti for Craig Rivet.

I'm also glad for Gorges... he was so heavily maligned when he was claimed by the Canadiens - just a throw-in to be thrown out.

Here's the link: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/players/Josh_Gorges/

shortcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote