Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

5 games of consistency

Old
11-28-2008, 01:47 PM
Body Checker

vCash: 500
5 games of consistency

Well Flames are actually being consistent. Maybe they have finally learned to play a system.

Unlike the past few years, the Flames in three games dominated a weaker opponent (Colorado twice, LA once).

They then had an inspired effort against a superior club (Detroit).

Then last night showed up in a crucial 4 point game to get in the NW title hunt.

I have really enjoyed watching them play lately. Even Conroy who I've been hard on is playing really well (maybe because he's on the 3rd line where he should be).

I can take losses like against Detroit as long as there is good effort and execution.

Body Checker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 03:04 PM
DownInFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Body Checker View Post
Well Flames are actually being consistent. Maybe they have finally learned to play a system.

Unlike the past few years, the Flames in three games dominated a weaker opponent (Colorado twice, LA once).

They then had an inspired effort against a superior club (Detroit).

Then last night showed up in a crucial 4 point game to get in the NW title hunt.

I have really enjoyed watching them play lately. Even Conroy who I've been hard on is playing really well (maybe because he's on the 3rd line where he should be).

I can take losses like against Detroit as long as there is good effort and execution.
Please go knock on wood for the sake of my sanity.

DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 04:25 PM
cross16

I also think they have finally bought into their system. It helps that their system has been tweaked so its easier to execute, but I think they have boughten in.

For me I saw that during the 1st period. They looked lost, were all over the place and not executing at all. However, in most games that would continue but they were able to regroup at intermission and come out and execute very well for the next two periods and pick up the win.

You do want to keep some perspective, cause they can always switch again. However, its looks better than it has for quite some time.

cross16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 04:44 PM
Wags

Quote:
Originally Posted by cross16 View Post
I also think they have finally bought into their system. It helps that their system has been tweaked so its easier to execute, but I think they have bought in.
It was either GlenX or Cammy last night said on Snet that after the SJ game they changed their system (although how drastically I don't know). It definitely looks better defensively, and I agree they have bought into it. Lets just hope it continues.

Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 01:38 AM
Grub
First Line Troll

Was Vancouver that bad in your prespective? I'm just wondering, because as a Canuck fan I thought the Nucks were lazy and deserve the lost.

Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 02:02 PM
Noori

vCash: 1638
Nice, you just jinxed it.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 02:24 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Highlander View Post
Nice, you just jinxed it.
the flames had a bit of a tough stretch... but IMO the turning point in the season thus far was Bourque defending Langkow in the Washington game and the subsequent 9 minute PK

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 02:28 PM
Noori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
the flames had a bit of a tough stretch... but IMO the turning point in the season thus far was Bourque defending Langkow in the Washington game and the subsequent 9 minute PK
And then there was another turning point in Anaheim, and another one after the San Jose game.

Old
11-29-2008, 02:34 PM
DBU
We Think We Know You

vCash: 132
The San Jose game was the real turning point. The Anaheim game was a solid effort, but it was after the Sharks game that we really started to turn it around.

DBU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 02:34 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Highlander View Post
And then there was another turning point in Anaheim, and another one after the San Jose game.
obviously there will be several during the season... but the Flames did not look like a team at all up until that point in time... even during their struggles prior to the past 5 games they looked better than they did in the first few games of the year... that hit, the defending of Langkow and the long successful PK... were the first time they looked like they were a team

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 04:13 PM
Noori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
obviously there will be several during the season... but the Flames did not look like a team at all up until that point in time... even during their struggles prior to the past 5 games they looked better than they did in the first few games of the year... that hit, the defending of Langkow and the long successful PK... were the first time they looked like they were a team
That, I can agree with. But after the 6 game run, the looked like they forgot how to play defense. I'm glad they finally figured it out.

Old
11-30-2008, 05:33 PM
cross16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wags View Post
It was either GlenX or Cammy last night said on Snet that after the SJ game they changed their system (although how drastically I don't know). It definitely looks better defensively, and I agree they have bought into it. Lets just hope it continues.
They changed their neutral zone play. In befroe that game they were aggressive right at the opposition blueline trying to force turnovers. But that tend to leave the middle open because wingers are guarding the boards.
Now, they are set up in the trap and wait till the oppotision enters the neutral zone to take away space. Leaves less options and does a more effective job of taking away the middle.

cross16 is offline   Reply With Quote