HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Matt Carle

Old
11-27-2008, 02:38 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Anyone else think I should change my name to Hot Carle?

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 02:52 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
Hey, don't forget Sbisa's defensive play that set it all up.
Yea im in love with Sbisa

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 02:55 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
...the saran wrap fecal treat.....lol

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 03:16 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
...the saran wrap fecal treat.....lol
I think it'd be pretty funny.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 03:46 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Go for it.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 04:31 PM
ELab2

He's a potential #2, aside from the pretty bad turnovers that we see too often his game is just excellent. If he keeps that down he'll be excellent

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 04:39 PM
wrx27

Happy turkey day!

Lets not forget he is still young guys and gals. With the way Sbisa (19 now?) and Carle have been playing (24) as well as IMO one of he best dmen in the NHL in Kimo and Coburn (23) who has really done well for us our D suddenly looks great compared to years ago. With the prospects we have coming up i think we are good to go on the D side and the foward side. If only we had a great goalie prospect....

Also i read somewhere or maybe heard in an interview but Carle is really getting along well with the young core (Ricahards, Hartnell, Carter, Lupul, Upshall) you cant teach that, Guys get along and hang together they play together.

wrx27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 08:32 PM
Raffl House

Quote:
Mine's better. Just like my fantasy football team.

Raffl House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 08:55 PM
healthyscratch

vCash: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by stafuccijr View Post
Carle has looked really good out there in my opinion. I think he really has helped our defensive core. Its going to be an interesting decision when Jones/Parent come back to figure out who doesn'nt make the cut.
That's easy, Kukks and Alberts will sit. But I'm wondering more about Parent. He wasn't guaranteed a spot so do they even try to work him in the lineup right away, or send him right to the Phantoms and call him up when needed?

healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 09:32 PM
ELab2

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
That's easy, Kukks and Alberts will sit. But I'm wondering more about Parent. He wasn't guaranteed a spot so do they even try to work him in the lineup right away, or send him right to the Phantoms and call him up when needed?
because of the financial situation I see him going down to the phantoms, I also really don't see a spot for him. I think there is no way they're sending back Sbisa, if that was the plan they would not have kept him in the first place.

Timonen-Coburn
Sbisa-Carle
Jones-Vannanen
Parent-Alberts
Kukkonen

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 09:32 PM
Gert B Frobe

Quote:
Seems like a waste having Parent in the minors when you have potentially both Albert and Kukkonen as healthy scratches. Pretty sure you could get something for him in a trade, or trade Jones, etc.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 09:38 PM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by smacklby View Post
there are several reason why i like Alberts over Jones:
1: size, and physical presence in the d-zone
2: he is equally able to transition the puck from defense to offense, although Jones is probably the better skater and a little bit more agile.
3: he is, overall, a better defensive defenseman than Jones.
4: Timonen, Carle, Coburn and Sbisa are all very good puck moving, skating-style defenseman with offensive savy; Vanannen and Alberts are steady defenders with good size, and given the current core of defenseman, equally effective at moving the puck from offense to defense; they are also able to chip in some offensively, although their offensive skills aren't as developed as those other guys; but that does not mean they arent able to improve in those offensive areas of their game....
I agree with 1 and 3, but I think Jones is smarter the puck behind his net and passing the puck up to the forwards. Alberts is a perfect 3rd pair dman for us, but Jones is a borderline 2nd/3rd pair guy on any team and will improve our penalty kill. It's tough to decide who to sit, but I think either guy could be plugged in on any night. And considering how much we're paying Jones, Alberts would become the 7th dman just because of how businesses work.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 09:39 PM
Bennevol10

Quote:
Do not forget Matt Carle is only 24 years old. You never want to compare him to establish NHL defense player but he might become next Kimmo Timonen. I think we will have one of the best defensive corps in next few years if we don't trade our young defense players away. Name another NHL team that has these many young defense players with bright future who are currently playing in the NHL.

Our Future Top Four Defense Players and look at their ages:

Luca Sbisa - Only 18 Years Old!!!

Ryan Parent - 21 years old

Braydon Coburn - 23 years old

Matt Carle - 24 years old

Bennevol10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 11:18 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennevol10 View Post
Do not forget Matt Carle is only 24 years old. You never want to compare him to establish NHL defense player but he might become next Kimmo Timonen. I think we will have one of the best defensive corps in next few years if we don't trade our young defense players away. Name another NHL team that has these many young defense players with bright future who are currently playing in the NHL.

Our Future Top Four Defense Players and look at their ages:

Luca Sbisa - Only 18 Years Old!!!

Ryan Parent - 21 years old

Braydon Coburn - 23 years old

Matt Carle - 24 years old

That is an impressive POTENTIAL top 4 group, but lets keep a few things in mind. Coburn has looked good when paired with Timonen but when asked to head up the 2nd pairing early this year he failed. He's good but not yet ready to lead even the 2nd pairing, let alone lead the top pairing. Maybe he'll get there, maybe not. Carle has been HUGE for us but he's not yet worth his 3.5 mil contract. Carle has been good on defense but not good enough for him to NOT be scoring like he's been for the past season and a half. Parent still only has "potential". He's yet to prove himself even a top 4 let alone a top pairing dman. He certainly has "potential", but we've seen others with "potential" who didn't pan out so well. While Sbisa has looked very very good for for his youth, he's nowhere near ready to be crowned a top 4 dman and just like Parent, all he's really shown right now is "potential" and again, THAT may not pan out. However, it is still a good looking group and better than most.

I would however trade them with Nashville. I'd easily take Shea Weber (22), Ryan Suter (23), Kevin Klein (23, not the actor btw) and Cody Franson (21). Hell, even if Franson and Klein don't work out Weber and Suter trump Carle, Coburn, Parent and Sbisa at this point. Weber and Suter have already proven themselves as top pairing dman, something none of our 4 have done. Honestly, how great would it be to have Weber and Suter here right now?

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 11:44 PM
McNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by might2mash View Post
I agree with 1 and 3, but I think Jones is smarter the puck behind his net and passing the puck up to the forwards. Alberts is a perfect 3rd pair dman for us, but Jones is a borderline 2nd/3rd pair guy on any team and will improve our penalty kill. It's tough to decide who to sit, but I think either guy could be plugged in on any night. And considering how much we're paying Jones, Alberts would become the 7th dman just because of how businesses work.
I actually think a big reason for the PK being so successful is the improved play of Alberts out there. Personally I'm ok with our defense the way it is, move Jones and either send Sbisa to Lethbridge or put Parent in the AHL.

McNasty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 06:59 PM
Bennevol10

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
That is an impressive POTENTIAL top 4 group, but lets keep a few things in mind. Coburn has looked good when paired with Timonen but when asked to head up the 2nd pairing early this year he failed. He's good but not yet ready to lead even the 2nd pairing, let alone lead the top pairing. Maybe he'll get there, maybe not. Carle has been HUGE for us but he's not yet worth his 3.5 mil contract. Carle has been good on defense but not good enough for him to NOT be scoring like he's been for the past season and a half. Parent still only has "potential". He's yet to prove himself even a top 4 let alone a top pairing dman. He certainly has "potential", but we've seen others with "potential" who didn't pan out so well. While Sbisa has looked very very good for for his youth, he's nowhere near ready to be crowned a top 4 dman and just like Parent, all he's really shown right now is "potential" and again, THAT may not pan out. However, it is still a good looking group and better than most.

I would however trade them with Nashville. I'd easily take Shea Weber (22), Ryan Suter (23), Kevin Klein (23, not the actor btw) and Cody Franson (21). Hell, even if Franson and Klein don't work out Weber and Suter trump Carle, Coburn, Parent and Sbisa at this point. Weber and Suter have already proven themselves as top pairing dman, something none of our 4 have done. Honestly, how great would it be to have Weber and Suter here right now?
Key Word Future... I said in few years we will have one of the best defensive corps if we keep them together. Don't want to be rude but read it carefully before you respond.

Bennevol10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 09:56 PM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

vCash: 320
I'm a big fan of Carle and have been since watching him in the 2005 frozen four. I was happy ab out the trade and it seems to be paying of very well. He seems to be the defensive upgrade we needed this off season. If Jones and/or Parent can come back and play well so that we no longer have to play Alberts I think our defense will be in very good shape.

whatthef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 10:50 PM
smacklby

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatthef View Post
I'm a big fan of Carle and have been since watching him in the 2005 frozen four. I was happy ab out the trade and it seems to be paying of very well. He seems to be the defensive upgrade we needed this off season. If Jones and/or Parent can come back and play well so that we no longer have to play Alberts I think our defense will be in very good shape.
well, we agree on Carle!
he muffed on the game winner tonight, though, losing position on Samsanov and letting him skate through our crease and score....

smacklby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 01:54 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
well, we agree on Carle!
he muffed on the game winner tonight, though, losing position on Samsanov and letting him skate through our crease and score....
That's happened to every player at one point or another in their career though. People on here make too much of a big deal about it. I'm very happy with Carle's play so far since coming to Philadelphia. As I stated, he seems to have finally found a comfort zone here. He never had that shield in San Jose or Tampa Bay. He was expected to be 'the man' from the word go and when he couldn't be that guy, everyone turned on him. I think he's going to prove a lot of people wrong and is going to be one of our better defenders for years to come.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 09:34 AM
thedjpd

Quote:
well, we agree on Carle!
Not even that much... sometimes you have to give the offensive player for being elusive too.

Have you ever played hockey? It's not easy to be in the perfect position 100% of the time. You're not the only one who has a say of where you should be - it's also determined by where your opponents are and where the puck is.

Everybody blows coverage. It happens all the time. If it didn't, no goal would ever be scored.

If a goal is scored, there was always something that could have been done differently to prevent it. It's easy to look at it in hindsight.

thedjpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 12:57 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennevol10 View Post
Key Word Future... I said in few years we will have one of the best defensive corps if we keep them together. Don't want to be rude but read it carefully before you respond.
I did "read". I was simply stating that our guys "look" like they MIGHT make a very nice top 4 but that Nashville already has 2 very young guys who are legit top 2 dmen and 2 more with about as much potential as Sbisa and Parent. MAYBE Sbisa turns into the next Timonen and ends up being the equal of someone like Weber but right now Weber IS a legit #1 dman.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 04:42 PM
smacklby

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedjpd View Post
Not even that much... sometimes you have to give the offensive player for being elusive too.

Have you ever played hockey? It's not easy to be in the perfect position 100% of the time. You're not the only one who has a say of where you should be - it's also determined by where your opponents are and where the puck is.

Everybody blows coverage. It happens all the time. If it didn't, no goal would ever be scored.

If a goal is scored, there was always something that could have been done differently to prevent it. It's easy to look at it in hindsight.
i'm not even going to answer your question, since there is no sense to it, at all....

otherwise, i was just pointing out the obvious observation, and not making an issue out of it, just to set things straight.... nor am i disappointed in Carle, at all.... regardless, if he reads and reacts quicker on Samsanov, he would have been capable of preventing him from getting to our crease; that's all i was saying....

smacklby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 04:14 PM
DenverBoone

Quote:
i'm not even going to answer your question, since there is no sense to it, at all....

otherwise, i was just pointing out the obvious observation, and not making an issue out of it, just to set things straight.... nor am i disappointed in Carle, at all.... regardless, if he reads and reacts quicker on Samsanov, he would have been capable of preventing him from getting to our crease; that's all i was saying....
I am a flyers fan because of Carle....I saw him play at DU for three years. I want to see him succeed at the NHL level SO BAD, because he is a good kid. But, I am starting to have doubts. His old weaknesses are rearing their heads again, namely, speed. He just doesn't have it. He just can't keep up with the big boys. He makes good passes and can score a goal here and there, but I just KNOW where this is going, and that's nowhere. I have to admit, I'm ready to capitulate on this guy and it kills me.

I don't want to spoil what he has done for Philly so far with this rant, but I'm going ****ing insane here. Why doesn't he skate faster and score more goals? For christs sake, how can you be so good your rookie year then stink up the joint. I'm going off the deep end here, but I just see it getting worse. Someone PLEASE talk me off the ledge!

I hate to read the negativity of him on this board, because in some cases it's merited. He needs to stay at home cause he doesn't have the speed to be a two way player which is supposed to be his deal. He just can't do it. Stay at home and make the outlet pass you are capable of Carle, and make the important clear in front of the net. STOP PINCHING! Stop trying to do it all, play within yourself! **** me!

DenverBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 05:03 PM
chris39bong

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBoone View Post
I am a flyers fan because of Carle....I saw him play at DU for three years. I want to see him succeed at the NHL level SO BAD, because he is a good kid. But, I am starting to have doubts. His old weaknesses are rearing their heads again, namely, speed. He just doesn't have it. He just can't keep up with the big boys. He makes good passes and can score a goal here and there, but I just KNOW where this is going, and that's nowhere. I have to admit, I'm ready to capitulate on this guy and it kills me.
Agree with you. Carle has a TON of talent but he also has a few serious weaknesses that will prevent him from being anything better than a 2nd pair defender, at best. I'm glad to hear he's started off pretty well in Philly. I'd expect better numbers from him as the season progresses (there's no reason why he shouldn't be a 40pt scorer on a good team), but wouldn't expect any improvement in the defensive zone.

chris39bong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 05:07 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by hattrickshockey2 View Post
Agree with you. Carle has a TON of talent but he also has a few serious weaknesses that will prevent him from being anything better than a 2nd pair defender, at best. I'm glad to hear he's started off pretty well in Philly. I'd expect better numbers from him as the season progresses (there's no reason why he shouldn't be a 40pt scorer on a good team), but wouldn't expect any improvement in the defensive zone.
I still don't see where this is coming from.

I mean, we are literally talking about 1 bad play against Samsonov (according to Meltzer Gagne failed the clear on the TO goal by not clearing Carle's pass), and all of a sudden, Carle's defensive zone play is "awful."

Coburn is the much bigger worry right now.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote