HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Latendresse on the trade market?

Old
11-30-2008, 02:08 PM
Mue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
is it guaranteed that he'd have to clear waivers?

I thought he was still on his entry level deal.
Games played determines waivers I believe.

Mue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 02:17 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79 André Marcoux View Post
The only possible spot for Chipchura next season IMO is the 4th line C. There's already Lapierre (C) and Laraque (RW) on the 4th line. Where do you see Chipchura? LW?

Koivu (he'll retire as a Hab)
Tanguay (I can't see how he would not be re-signed)
Higgins
AKostitsyn
Plekanec
SKostitsyn
Pacioretty

That's already 7 players without Kovalev and Latendresse. We can assume that Carbo will continue to roll three offensive lines. Where's the place for Chipchura?

And I didn't say that Lats doesn't have a place in this team. He's just not a good fit.
So according to you MaxPac has a spot on our roster before Lats and Chipper?..That's before he even played 1 NHL game.

Now if you think Koivu will retire a Hab, that's good for you. Realistically, that decision will be made by Koivu and Koivu alone. I also think he will retire here, but that depends on how much he'll be asking.
The same for Tanguay, I'm not interested if he wants 7M.

Higgins and Plekanec are RFAs, how much will they be asking for?..will it be too much??..

Lappy can be moved to the wing, or Chipper. But Chip has more offensive upside than Laps, so he could fill out the #3 center spot.

If S.Kost continues to play like this, he won't have a spot on our club before Lats.

Not everything is as clear as it is in the fairytale world you call your brain.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 02:50 PM
Krautso

Lats has no value and would not bring a D man who could crack our top 6 right now. He has potential but the question is how soon (and whether) he reaches it. There are natives who thrive playing in their home province and there are guys who either get sucked into the celebrity or succumb to the pressure. Unfortunately I see lats as being the latter.

Krautso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 06:02 PM
Hab Shark
Better call Saul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krautso View Post
Lats has no value and would not bring a D man who could crack our top 6 right now. He has potential but the question is how soon (and whether) he reaches it. There are natives who thrive playing in their home province and there are guys who either get sucked into the celebrity or succumb to the pressure. Unfortunately I see lats as being the latter.
He'll go for another monster second round pick at the deadline!

Hab Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 06:17 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony66 View Post
How he even lasted this long on the Habs is beyond me. Just goes to show you that you can very little talent, but you can still assure yourself of a job if you have the right last name.
French players are so important to this team, every year Timmins draft mostly guys from the QJMHL and we have kept guys like Mike Ribeiro and Jose Theodore around!

Team_Spirit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 06:37 PM
DieHardHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboflex View Post
I'd trade Sergei before Guillaume. The latter is a lot better protecting the puck in opposition zone and better at scoring in close.
your kidding me right!? wont get much for lats... the guys is pretty much terrible

DieHardHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 09:02 PM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Latendresse would have had more points than Malone had he played with Crosby and Malkin.
If I were you I'd bring that crystal ball to the shop. It's broken.

If Lats played with Crosby & Malkin, I'd hazard a guess and say they would have less points than when they played with Malone. Lats doesn't have the talent that Malone has.

Go to Nhl.com and take a look at the stats for the Habs. Koivu and Tanguay lead in points. Of the top 9 forwards Lats, that power forward in the making, trails the pack despite the fact that he has played most of the year with our top point getting forwards. S. Kostitsyn who alotta posters are ready to throw under the bus is ahead of him despite the fact that he hasn't played with Tanguay or Koivu and has bounced around on the last two lines.

Stats aren't the whole story. Lats loses most of his battles in the corners, his skating is still shamefully terrible, so much so he's constantly losing his balance, or is trailing the play on most back checks and he f'ing doesn't go to the net. On Sat, they used him on one power play and pulled him out and for the next power plays put Koivu in front of the net. Does that tell you something about this big, strong, power forward in the making? They think Koivu, who is 5'8" on stilts, is better in front of the net.

Where is this playing making vision everyone speaks of and where are his soft hands? He still has to demonstrate them in the two odd years that he is here. And where is his intensity? He plays like a zombie on Valium. Gillet should charge him admission to the games. He's a spectator on most shifts.

The French press wants a local hero, well chrissakes look at Tanguay who is an elite player that has played at an elite level here in Montreal. Why harp on a medicore player like Lats?

Last edited by onice: 11-30-2008 at 10:56 PM.
onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 09:33 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79 André Marcoux View Post
That said, if there was a solid offer for Lats (let's say for a guy with the same upside), I would really think about it if the player coming back is a better fit on our team.
What's to think about in this case?

A guy with the same upside, who's a better fit for our team...There's nothing to think about, you make that move immediately!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea View Post
Kilger and Ward had no hands, Latendresse has hands.. Marcel was a better exemple.. Lets hope he turns to be more like a John Leclair than another Marcel..
Kilger had talent...He was a goal scoring machine in juniors and just never panned out in the NHL.

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 09:54 PM
Empireshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by emb24 View Post
they're not going to deal him. remember jon leclair? gui is 21 years old. he's nowhere reached his ceiling yet as a young power forward. not even close.

the habs still want to play 3 offensive lines. next year with guys like kovalev and potentially tanguay gone. there will be room for him. heck he's already playing on the 3rd line - and carbo likes to generally play all those lines evenly. he's not going to be moved. if the guy just developed a little more of a mean streak and went to the net more. he'd be indispensable to the team
I hate this "remember John Leclair?" garbage. There have been plenty of forwards that Montreal have drafted since Leclair that were supposed to devolop into power forwards and didn't. Remember Terry Ryan, Turner Stevenson and Jason Ward (the AHL scoring champion one year)? For every power forward that Montreal traded away that became a solid goal scorer there are at least 10 that they kept who turned out to be 4th line grinders. Odds are that Latendresse is more likely to turn out to be the latter rather than the former. Leclair

Empireshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 06:07 AM
hickles46

Hmm, no, but Higgins is

hickles46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 07:07 AM
Pascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by hickles46 View Post
Hmm, no, but Higgins is
Higgins is almost as disappointing as Lats.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 08:19 AM
BadKiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
Package Latendresse to get that #4-5 dman...

Latendresse + ____?____
FOR
#4-5 dman
------------------------------- ----------------------------

I'm not afraid of Lats coming back to hunt us because of his:
skating (acceleration)
lack of mean streak
skating
can hit but does he really want to?
skating
Ya, Latendresse being 29th in hits in the league and first on his team, he must not really want to.

BadKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 09:36 AM
habsrock76

The biggest downfall of Latendresse (other than his skating which can be taught and improved ie: Jason Spezza) is his utter lack of puck sense. Puck sense is something that cant be taught, you either have it or you dont. And more times than not he is the reason for a turnover in the offensive zone. He just seems out of place and confused all the time.

If Latendresse had a mean streak he would be extremely effective on the 3rd or 4th line because when he wants to hit he destroys players. But unfortunately Sergie K. has a bigger mean streak at half the size.

habsrock76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 09:39 AM
Joe Cole

If he brings back something of more value, so be it.

The return has to be better than a very young player, under contract, already has success in the NHL, has a scoring touch, great size, is a local boy.

If you can get better than that, so be it.

That is the same for EVERY player. We all have to get over falling in love with players on the roster. Fall in love with the name on the front of the jersey, not the one on the back of the jersey.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 12:56 PM
12jf54

Latendresse vs Kovalchuk

12jf54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 07:16 PM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

Quote:
John Leclair

John Leclair... John Leclair what????

You can't even be remotely joking right?

I mean you could see Leclair been an awesome player, but Lats can't even carry that man's jock strap.

John Leclair was a star and in my opinion the worst trade in habs histrory. Worse than the Roy trade. We have NEVER replaced John Leclair in this orginization.

Latendress is a very good AHL player.... nothing more. No vision, no strength on his skates, no real toughness, hands that are way over-rated.

It will take a lot more than Lats to land a a 4th dman, but I am all for it!!!

nyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 07:18 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
Package Latendresse to get that #4-5 dman...

Latendresse + ____?____
FOR
#4-5 dman
------------------------------- ----------------------------

I'm not afraid of Lats coming back to hunt us because of his:
skating (acceleration)
lack of mean streak
skating
can hit but does he really want to?
skating
I've heard from Florida boards, from THEIR mouths not mine, that they could easily see Lats+1st rounder for J-Bo.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 07:20 PM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
Higgins is almost as disappointing as Lats.

Higgins brings a lot more to the table than Lats... not even close.

Old
12-01-2008, 07:25 PM
ChickenHabsFan

Quote:
John Leclair
You said it all

ChickenHabsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 07:31 PM
terreur

vCash: 50
First, for the leclair comparison, can somebody tell me one area of the game (aside from speaking french) that Latendresse is better than leclair was at the time?

And second, my problem with latendresse is his lack of desire, combined with his lack of willing to do what the coach wants him to do. The first time that it struck me it was at the WJC. He was giving the golden opportunity. He was on the first line, in front of the net for the First PP unit and the coach was seeing him as THE player to put the puck in the net.

We all know that all the WJC canadian teams, play a similar style. That combines speed, with grit and toughness. Every player that made the team in the past years and had success knew the team had to pass before the player. Lantendresse, arrived there with the idea of leading the tourney in scoring by playing the same soft style he played in the Q. The way he played, was: I am sure to stay on the first line, cause I am one of the best 4-5 players in the Q and I score a lot of goals for Drumondville. We all know what happened after that, A player giving 2 shifts in nthe first game realized the only thing the coach wanted to see, was a player crashing the net and plyaying a tough game. That was the end of Latendresse's tournament.

My parallel, He came to the Habs with the same attitude. The worst that could happen, was for him to have success at the camp. It boosted his ego and he wants to play the same way he was playing in the Q when he was the best player on the ice almost every time. When you get to the NHL, you have to change your style, cause you'll almost never be the best player on the ice.

It may look like a rant, but it is not. I'm just pissed that everytime I open the radio or the newspaper I see someone saying he wasn't giving a decent shot... He had plenty of chances of playing on top lines, he just never showed the desire or work ethics to earn himself a full time job on a decent line.

terreur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 08:26 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
If I were you I'd bring that crystal ball to the shop. It's broken.

If Lats played with Crosby & Malkin, I'd hazard a guess and say they would have less points than when they played with Malone. Lats doesn't have the talent that Malone has.

Go to Nhl.com and take a look at the stats for the Habs. Koivu and Tanguay lead in points. Of the top 9 forwards Lats, that power forward in the making, trails the pack despite the fact that he has played most of the year with our top point getting forwards. S. Kostitsyn who alotta posters are ready to throw under the bus is ahead of him despite the fact that he hasn't played with Tanguay or Koivu and has bounced around on the last two lines.

Stats aren't the whole story. Lats loses most of his battles in the corners, his skating is still shamefully terrible, so much so he's constantly losing his balance, or is trailing the play on most back checks and he f'ing doesn't go to the net. On Sat, they used him on one power play and pulled him out and for the next power plays put Koivu in front of the net. Does that tell you something about this big, strong, power forward in the making? They think Koivu, who is 5'8" on stilts, is better in front of the net.

Where is this playing making vision everyone speaks of and where are his soft hands? He still has to demonstrate them in the two odd years that he is here. And where is his intensity? He plays like a zombie on Valium. Gillet should charge him admission to the games. He's a spectator on most shifts.

The French press wants a local hero, well chrissakes look at Tanguay who is an elite player that has played at an elite level here in Montreal. Why harp on a medicore player like Lats?
Lats has a lot more upside than Malone who couldn't even score 30 with Malkin. Latendresse scored 16 last year playing mostly with centers like Lapierre and Smolinski, what's the difference in this picture?

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 08:29 PM
Fire Brunet*

Power forwards don't wear visors. Just saying.

Fire Brunet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 08:34 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by limelight View Post
According to some folks on CKAC, Latendresse is currently being shopped for protentially a 4th d-man.
http://www.corussports.com/radio/archive.php
-> look for the Latendresse sur de marche link.
Controversy sells ratings and newspapers... that's all this is and it worked, you've taken the bait. I say this story is pure BS.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 08:36 PM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsEatLeafs View Post
You said it all

Lats is closer to Juha Lind than John Leclair!

Old
12-01-2008, 08:42 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
It seems like many think that Jay-Bo equals Stanley Cup (not me).
Plus, we have to give up soooo much for him (many teams will offer a lot for him, maybe even more than for Hossa...I'll pass).

There are many dmen (#4 -#5 dmen) in the NHL who can help us (& we can keep our 1st+2nd Round Draft Picks). I would prefer someone more gritty, tougher than Jay-Bo (& at a lesser price).

Lats + __?__ (& maybe something else __?__)
FOR
#4 or #5 dman

------------------------------------------
Lats is up there in hits (stats) and right now that's his only "bread & butter" in the stats column, and...is it really helping us? (no).
Dustin Brown (L.A.) really wants to hit, but Lats is hitting 'cause he feels like he needs to (there is a huge difference there).
Lats will never have that natural mean streak that will make him that PF we need (not LATS fault, but...not ours either). He's going to be good for our salary cap for awhile (maybe for a long while), and...that's all.

I'm kind of tired (fed up) of thinking "he's young and he has good hands".
Our forwards all have to fold back and go the other way every time Lats is on (always the weak link on any line).
If Lats was such a weak link why did Koivu and Tanguay produce so well with him. Tanguay has not done much since Lats has been off that line. Lats can be inconsistant, but so are most 21 year olds, Price is also and he is a supreme talent. O'byrne is 23 and still has a lot of ups and downs. S.Kost has been more down than up so far this year, I'd trade him long before Lats.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote