HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Burke talked to Gainey last year about Grabovski.

Old
11-30-2008, 06:28 PM
Chazz
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
any chance Grabs could have been moved to the wing.....just a thought

Chazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 07:02 PM
ti-vite

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlderTimer View Post
Name me a player that doesn't want an increase?....I can name about 3....

Shanahan because he still just wants to play

Sundin....as Burke stated he has 2dollars short of God's money

Kovalev....he's playing like he doesn't want or need the money in his UFA year.
Actually there are a fair share of players that get less money on the contract after the ELC if the production is not up to par. Ex: Higgins took a pay cut after his ELC.

I would exepect (my personnal speculation and nothing more) Grabovsky not to accept this and want a multi-million dollar deal as he sees his value higher than it really is.

This is a message board, other peoples opinions are allowed...

ti-vite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 10:02 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti-vite View Post
Actually there are a fair share of players that get less money on the contract after the ELC if the production is not up to par. Ex: Higgins took a pay cut after his ELC.

I would exepect (my personnal speculation and nothing more) Grabovsky not to accept this and want a multi-million dollar deal as he sees his value higher than it really is.

This is a message board, other peoples opinions are allowed...
Marian Hossa.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 10:02 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz View Post
any chance Grabs could have been moved to the wing.....just a thought
Yes, but then he'd be wallpaper on the side boards of the Bell Centre.

Old
11-30-2008, 10:15 PM
Rayne*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
According to Burke at his press conference. Video is at tsn.ca

That caught me off guard. Grabs just doesn't really strike me as a Burke type of player. Just my opinion of course.

What do you think we could have gotten back for Grabs?
He isn't. He's European.

Rayne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 10:38 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
He isn't. He's European.
Daniel Sedin? Markus Naslund?

People are just caught up in the math. He happen to assemble a very Canadian team in Anaheim and suddenly the guy's a xenophobic reincarnation of Don Cherry.

Old
12-01-2008, 09:14 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

If some of you remember,that game in Anaheim last year beside Price,Grabovski was our best forward by far that night.Burke saw something that he liked.What's funny is how the hell did Fletcher end up with him while Burke was still working for the Ducks?League should investigate

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 09:19 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
Daniel Sedin? Markus Naslund?

People are just caught up in the math. He happen to assemble a very Canadian team in Anaheim and suddenly the guy's a xenophobic reincarnation of Don Cherry.
See the link that I provided where Alain Chainey, Ducks head scout is saying that Russians won't be on top of their list. And Burke said the same thing at one point. So we'll see how Burke will handle things without having Chainey around. Some thing is sure, Grabovski, while German, is also considered somewhat Russian. Thing is Burke loves players who hustle and show that they're interested in competing. Grabovski is just that. Now if Burke happen to know that Grabovski might be interested in going back home, it won't be long before he's traded. Until then, Grabovski IS the kind of player that Burke loves despite his nationality.

I'm still not convince you'll see Burke drafting Russians in the next upcoming drafts nor do I see him going to trade for some in the near future.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 09:28 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant1r View Post
It wasnt a bad move. Grabovski did nothing for the Canadiens during his time there. It was better that he was sent to Toronto, now he has the possibility to get good ice time and develop his game.
27 games to assess the game of a rookie? Well fine then, trade O'Byrne to the Leafs as well....As far as what is better for him, honestly, why should we care what's better a guy we've traded? It's not like we're an agency for the guy or are working together with the other teams so they'll have better teams and so that we'll keep hearing how bad the trade was and keep being reminded of it since we see him often.

I would not have traded him to a rival. It's all about Pateryn panning out now so we would also have something to show 'cause I don't think it's Lang that will make that trade a winner for us.....until we suck so bad and are able to dish him at the trade deadline for something valuable, which won't happen.

Old
12-01-2008, 09:46 AM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
See the link that I provided where Alain Chainey, Ducks head scout is saying that Russians won't be on top of their list. And Burke said the same thing at one point. So we'll see how Burke will handle things without having Chainey around. Some thing is sure, Grabovski, while German, is also considered somewhat Russian. Thing is Burke loves players who hustle and show that they're interested in competing. Grabovski is just that. Now if Burke happen to know that Grabovski might be interested in going back home, it won't be long before he's traded. Until then, Grabovski IS the kind of player that Burke loves despite his nationality.

I'm still not convince you'll see Burke drafting Russians in the next upcoming drafts nor do I see him going to trade for some in the near future.
There are legitimate reasons for not having Russians on the top of your list, but that has more to do with actually having to bring them over from Russia than actual playing styles.

Grabovski was already in North America and playing in the NHL.

fufonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 10:12 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by fufonzo View Post
There are legitimate reasons for not having Russians on the top of your list, but that has more to do with actually having to bring them over from Russia than actual playing styles.

Grabovski was already in North America and playing in the NHL.
And I guess that with the Valentenko and Radulov saga, the GM's will be ALSO worried about them leaving.....

Besides, where did I state that Burke, Chainey and Co hates Russians 'cause of the way they play? I just said that they don't like them.....now the reasons it's their problem, if it's just a question of coming over, hating the way they play, or a little bit of both, the matter of fact is that when Burke left Anaheim, he had no Russian with the NHL team, no Russians with the farm team and no Russians selected after the Chistov experiment in 2001. Not entirely Burke's, but at the very least entirely Chainey's....And again, whatever the reason is, he just don't like them enough to pick them even though he might be able to attract them here. Since tons of people keep saying how the draft is a crapshoot (which I don't totally agree but that's another subject...), won't you "crapshoot" on a Russian who might not come here especially in the later rounds?

But if I would stick to the hockey side of it, and while it's totally an opinion, I would guess that Burke hates perimeter players and can recognize himself more with Finns and Swedes than with Russians. Sure there are exceptions but still...

Old
12-01-2008, 10:19 AM
Lucius

Quote:

Russians are European, but not all Europeans are Russian. And as someone said, it is more to do with transfer agreements than temperament, xenophobia or style of play. Something tells me they'd trade for Ovechkin given half a chance.

...plus, feel free to Google who the Anaheim backup goalie was on the Cup team. Bryzgalov, I might add, is the same guy he waived so he could get the starting chance he deserved, not a favor you do for a group you refuse to employ.

They have said, players will be selected based on their role in the team, not their passport. I think that's completely fair. If he has a coin toss between a Russian and a Canadian in the draft, sure he goes Canada, but so does every other GM in the league.

Quote:
But if I would stick to the hockey side of it, and while it's totally an opinion, I would guess that Burke hates perimeter players and can recognize himself more with Finns and Swedes than with Russians. Sure there are exceptions but still...
Just for the record, if you're going to use the logic that Grabovski as a Belarussian is identified as Russian, historically at least, Finland is only a fraction "less Russian."

Old
12-01-2008, 10:22 AM
OlderTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhabfan View Post
Dear Mr Older Timer,

You have posted 10 times on this page only. All your posts are basically saying the same thing - Grabovski rules and the Habs were stupid to trade him, regardless of any common sense arguments hab fans brought.

Please keep in mind that, while the Habs board intends to be more tolerant to intruders from other boards (compared to other boards tolerance towards us), you are pushing it.
Since you already said what you wanted to say, please return to your boards or at least wait a bit between your posts.

Thanks for your understanding.
common sense.....you counted my posts but you didn't read them...read them again....great board for habs fans....attack anyone who does not agree with you or ask them to leave......very intelligent!

OlderTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 10:42 AM
LesCanadiens

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlderTimer View Post
For 2 GM's wanting to aquire the same player i'd say Gainey missed the boat in under value-ing Grabovski.......if Grabs keeps up his pace i'm sure we can get a 1st round pick easy if Burke decides to trade him......hab's fans say " we had no room for him"....the kids is better than 95% of the habs..........give me a break...excuses now cause you dont have him......glad to have cancers like him anytime.
Gainey missed no boat. Grabvoski showed bad character and was not good enough to make our team anyway. Better than 95%? How do you figure? Sure, hindsight is always 20-20 eh? Very convenient as it is obvious to any hockey fan that has a clue that 95% of our team are underachieving at the moment.

As far as Grabs' own merits go, we're 20'ish games into the season...if I were you, I'd at least give it to the 60 game mark before I start coming around bragging and puffing out my chest about Mikhail Grabvoski.

LesCanadiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 02:14 PM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Dealing Grabs to Toronto was a bad move but many here will tell you Gainey doesn't make bad moves.

It wasn't a bad move at all!!! Grabs never done one thing the whole time he was in Montreal. He played like garbage. He got traded to a team that needed him and he is now getting icetime on the top line for the Leafs....good for him....but that doesn't mean he was going to ever produce the same for the Habs as he is RIGHT NOW for the Leafs. His production will slow down soon, just wait and see.
Plus from all the articles around, it sounds like he was a bit of a distraction in the dressing room.

All the more reason to get rid of the little punk!!

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 02:40 PM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Koivu, Plekanec, and Lang are all better than Grabovski, at the moment.
Sure, Grabs is playing well with a lot of ice time without any expectations and that's great for both him and the Leafs.

The Habs didn't have room for him on the team and had better options. He would not be playing as well as he has been if he was playing with the Habs.

He had his shot with us, didn't deliver and showed a poor attitude. We gave him a chance where he could get some icetime and got Lang and Pateryn in return.

Good move for both teams in this trade. There isn't always a winner and a loser.

fufonzo is offline   Reply With Quote