HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The next six games + Proposal

Old
12-01-2008, 09:43 AM
otto bond

vCash: 500
The next six games + Proposal

Let me start by saying that we are not in a bad position. 5th in the East
Also, most of our leaders right now are not playing to what is expected by most.
The next six game at home will give us a better idea of what our team is made of.
The Begin, Dandy and to some extant Breezer have all been at some point the zeros and moved on to be heros. All(myself included) considered them to be garbage, dead wood, wast of cap space. Well, are they?
The next six games at home will tell us what BG will do. I foresee some heat under Pleakanec, Latendresse, Kostitsyn brothers and Higgins. The one I fear most more is Pleakanec. With Lang on board, could he be traded. It's not getting better for him.
We could use some grit at center and neither Lang and Pleakanec brings this. In realty, one has to go. The next six games are what I would say make you mind up with Bob. If he decides to trade Pleakanec this is what I propose.

Pleakanec for Legwand in Nashville

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 09:53 AM
Mats NAslund

vCash: 50
Not sure I would move Plekanec for Legwand if I'm Nashville.
If I'm Gainey I still try and land Sundin. Otherwise the guy I would want would be Rick Freaking Nash!

Latendresse Chipchura Higgins and a 1st for Nash....LOL -----
Man would he tear it up if he played in Montreal! Big Strong and mean.
Tanguay Koivu NASH -
D'Agostini Lang Kovalev
A. Kostitsyn Plekanec S. Kostitsyn
Lapierre Begin Dandenault Laraque

Mats NAslund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 10:02 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

David Legwand for Plekanec? No way in hell would I want Montreal to do that. He's one of the most overrated, injury prone centers in the NHL. Throw in Legwands 4.5m per year contract which expires in 2014, makes this even more laughable.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 10:10 AM
frederixx

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto bond View Post
Pleakanec for Legwand in Nashville
simply aweful... why would we do that for? Plekanec is younger, has much more upside and made 69pts last season. Legwand had a career year 2-3 years ago with 60pts. He's always injured and even worst, he would be our top paid forward with his 5.5M contact.

frederixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 10:27 AM
Lucius

Sometimes I seriously question if I'd get actual objections to Bouillon for umm.. Malkin, if I suggested it.

Legwand > Plekanec for any but the most homer observer.

Not that this trade would ever happen (cap issues, Nashville saying no).

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 10:33 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
Sometimes I seriously question if I'd get actual objections to Bouillon for umm.. Malkin, if I suggested it.

Can you please explain why Montreal would even consider making this move? Just one good reason, that's all I ask.

Old
12-01-2008, 10:38 AM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
Can you please explain why Montreal would even consider making this move? Just one good reason, that's all I ask.
Let me preface this with they wouldn't, because Legwand's contract is at 4.5 a year for SIX FREAKING YEARS, so it is contractually insane.

However, in a one on one situation, Legwand is a leader. He fills a need for Montreal, which is a physical top 6 player. He's also a complete package.

He does get hurt, but given most people seem to agree that a huge part of Montreal's problems rest between the ears, Legwand is exactly the type of guy that would help there.

Offensively, I'd say they're on par. Taking nothing away from Plekanec, I'd give the defensive edge to Legwand. I'd give physicality to Legwand. Thus, in a perfect world where there is no cap or money, I'd take Legwand.

Old
12-01-2008, 11:03 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Let me preface this with they wouldn't, because Legwand's contract is at 4.5 a year for SIX FREAKING YEARS, so it is contractually insane.

However, in a one on one situation, Legwand is a leader. He fills a need for Montreal, which is a physical top 6 player. He's also a complete package.

He does get hurt, but given most people seem to agree that a huge part of Montreal's problems rest between the ears, Legwand is exactly the type of guy that would help there.

Offensively, I'd say they're on par. Taking nothing away from Plekanec, I'd give the defensive edge to Legwand. I'd give physicality to Legwand. Thus, in a perfect world where there is no cap or money, I'd take Legwand.
Here's a closer look at Legwand.

1. Misses on average 15 to 20 games per year. Has only 1 season where he played the full 82 games, and 1 season with 81 out of 9 seasons.
2. He's 6'2 190lbs, and even though he plays a more aggressive style than Plekanec's. That's the reason he's always injured.
3. He is horrible defensively, offensively he puts up 3rd line point totals. Except for his 63pt season, which is nothing to write home about.

I asked for one thing and you did give me a response I'll agree with. He does bring stronger leadership qualities than Plekanec does IMO.

But taking into consideration Plekanec's age, contract status, offensive potential. To me it's a no brainer, we stick with Plekanec and pass on Legwand.

Old
12-01-2008, 11:52 AM
Lucius

Quote:
Here's a closer look at Legwand.

1. Misses on average 15 to 20 games per year. Has only 1 season where he played the full 82 games, and 1 season with 81 out of 9 seasons.
2. He's 6'2 190lbs, and even though he plays a more aggressive style than Plekanec's. That's the reason he's always injured.
3. He is horrible defensively, offensively he puts up 3rd line point totals. Except for his 63pt season, which is nothing to write home about.

I asked for one thing and you did give me a response I'll agree with. He does bring stronger leadership qualities than Plekanec does IMO.

But taking into consideration Plekanec's age, contract status, offensive potential. To me it's a no brainer, we stick with Plekanec and pass on Legwand.
I don't see where you got this one?

...regardless though, we both agree it ain't gonna happen, so it's moot

Old
12-01-2008, 11:55 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I don't see where you got this one?

...regardless though, we both agree it ain't gonna happen, so it's moot
lol...fair enough L, we'll agree to disagree.

But for the hell of it, take a look at his +/- stats compared to the rest of his team over the last few years.

Old
12-01-2008, 11:59 AM
Lucius

Quote:

But for the hell of it, take a look at his +/- stats compared to the rest of his team over the last few years.
He tends to play against top lines, if I am not mistaken, so I'd take the fact that Trotz trusts him with that assignment over his +/- any day.

Old
12-01-2008, 12:10 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
He tends to play against top lines, if I am not mistaken, so I'd take the fact that Trotz trusts him with that assignment over his +/- any day.
Actually it's guys like Scott Nicol, Jerred Smithson that are assigned the checking duties. As well as the majority of the short handed situations.

Trust me, I don't have my "Rose coloured Hab glasses" on when I say that Legwand is just an average player.

Old
12-01-2008, 12:23 PM
frederixx

Quote:

where did you get this from?

go read their forums for fun :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
7 years 27 million is still not that bad of a price for Legwand. The problem is we have no money to waste on underachieving forwards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
Bottom line, the guy doesn't have the drive, passion, and desire to improve to be an impact player in the NHL.

I almost relate to the Dustin Perner situation. Now that he's cashed in on a big, long contract, I am fearing the worst. I honeslty won't be suprised to see seasons of production of 10 goals or less. That could be as early as this year.

He's good in the defensive end and can bring the puck up ice, but once this guy enters the offensive zone, he's VERY AVERAGE (if not below average). Average shot, average vision, rarely wins the battles, and lacks competitive drive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
We have other problems, but our highest paid player on pace for 12 goals and seemingly lacking any competitive drive in the 1st year of a 7 year contract is a problem.

This guys going to be spending lots of time at the post office over the next 7 years, mailing in all kinds of stuff.

I just hope he gets the opporunity to use a different post office than Nashville's.

that all comes from their own fans. so you still think that they wouldn't trade him for Plekanec and his 1.8M contract?

frederixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 12:36 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by frederixx View Post
that all comes from their own fans. so you still think that they wouldn't trade him for Plekanec and his 1.8M contract?
Fans don't equal GMs.

Just as I disagree with most the guys in this thread, I also disagree with the guys in that thread.

Regardless, this trade would never, ever happen. The cap wouldn't allow it.

Old
12-01-2008, 12:51 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Fans don't equal GMs.

Just as I disagree with most the guys in this thread, I also disagree with the guys in that thread.

Regardless, this trade would never, ever happen. The cap wouldn't allow it.
It's fine for you to disagree and have a different opinion. I truly do respect that and think that's part of what makes it fun coming here.

Old
12-01-2008, 01:05 PM
le_sean

Quote:

Do you think Radek Bonk's -31 last year means he is the worst defensive player of all time? No actually he was pretty damn good at it when he was here.

I would not trade Plekanec for Legwand simply because of the contract and his injury proneness. But I would try to somehow pry Arnott away, he's exactly what the team needs.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 01:19 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Do you think Radek Bonk's -31 last year means he is the worst defensive player of all time? No actually he was pretty damn good at it when he was here.

I would not trade Plekanec for Legwand simply because of the contract and his injury proneness. But I would try to somehow pry Arnott away, he's exactly what the team needs.
That's just one stat le sean, if I wanted to embarrass the Legwand lovers. I could bust out a ton to prove my point. But like Lucius mentioned, it's a moot point because it would never happen.

Arnott on the other hand, I wouldn't think twice giving up Plekanec for him.

Old
12-01-2008, 01:37 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
David Legwand for Plekanec? No way in hell would I want Montreal to do that. He's one of the most overrated, injury prone centers in the NHL. Throw in Legwands 4.5m per year contract which expires in 2014, makes this even more laughable.
Was thinking the same thing. Legwand has not lived up to any of the hype since he was drafted. Good player but brings nothing that Pleks does not already bring.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 01:42 PM
le_sean

Quote:
That's just one stat le sean, if I wanted to embarrass the Legwand lovers. I could bust out a ton to prove my point. But like Lucius mentioned, it's a moot point because it would never happen.

Arnott on the other hand, I wouldn't think twice giving up Plekanec for him.
I wasn't disagreeing with you, just stating that +/- is not a clear indication of defensive play . But I guess you have other stats to prove your point too

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 01:45 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
I wasn't disagreeing with you, just stating that +/- is not a clear indication of defensive play . But I guess you have other stats to prove your point too
lol..Of course, you can't be a good smart ass if you can't back it up.

Old
12-01-2008, 03:11 PM
theboss*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats NAslund View Post
Not sure I would move Plekanec for Legwand if I'm Nashville.
If I'm Gainey I still try and land Sundin. Otherwise the guy I would want would be Rick Freaking Nash!

Latendresse Chipchura Higgins and a 1st for Nash....LOL -----
Man would he tear it up if he played in Montreal! Big Strong and mean.
Tanguay Koivu NASH -
D'Agostini Lang Kovalev
A. Kostitsyn Plekanec S. Kostitsyn
Lapierre Begin Dandenault Laraque
I thought I was the only one that wanted to see Rick Nash a Hab. Imagine if he was on the team playing with koivu, he would get atleast 50 goals.

theboss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 05:26 PM
Miller Time

Legwand is a very good player.

I'd say it's a toss up between him and Pleks, Plekanec having "probably" a slight edge offensively, Legwand having an edge defensively.

Legwand is not producing well right now, playing with 4th liners on his wings, Pleks is not producing right now, usually playing with 2 of our best pure offensive players.

contract wise, it's not great for us now, but on the other hand, the only way pleks doesn't get a contract worth around 4million per is if he continues to underperform for a long time... if he gets back to his level from last year, hard to see how he wouldn't get an offer for that much or more on the open market.

I like Pleks as a player a lot though, and from a potential pov, there's still enough showing to make any lateral type move, especially for an older player on a more expensive (currently) contract, seem pretty useless...

on the other hand, if the Preds fell far enough out of contention that they where open to a trade centered around Arnott for Pleks (with more coming from our end, of course)... i'd be all ears to that one!

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote