HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

how to dangle

Old
11-28-2008, 06:59 PM
VanW27

vCash: 500
Certainly part of it is a natural ability, a big part is confidence and a big part is simply practice. Go out on the rink/pond and play with the puck, most great dekes are improvised IMO, you see something and react and hope with practice your hands are faster then the d-mans. Also a big key to dekeing is balance and body control you may notice a lot of great puck handlers skate with a wide base, makes it easier to shift from side to side.

As far as tips go, most importantly keep your head up. Change speeds when you can, if you see the d-man pivot go right at him, once you get a d-man turning he's in big trouble.

An easy move to work on is going from your stick out wide on your forehand side then tapping it with your backhand off the inside of your left skate, not really a great move to beat a guy with 1-on-1 but its a good move to create a little separation when your coming down along the boards. But like i said just play with the puck and have fun, most dekes are improvised.

Last edited by VanW27: 11-28-2008 at 07:09 PM.
VanW27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 07:02 PM
Tiger Trauma

Lateral movement, puck handling skills, explosive speed, and hockey sense.

The defender will try to stay inline between you and the path to the goalie. (unless your in the corners, or an odd man rush)

The second that "path" shifts(defender is not in the middle of your path) the defender has to adjust.Exploit this.

A lot of times dangling is just explosive speed/lateral movement catching someone out of position. and one move makes it look pretty.

Most important
1. Learn not just to stickhandle, but stickhandling the puck while moving, in front and to both sides of the body.

2. Dont start your moves at the defenders feet or stick. Thats where your finishing move goes.

3. start your moves moving laterally just out of the defenders reach, then when the defenseman is adjusting use your explosive speed to create space and wreck the defenders "middle balance"

Tiger Trauma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 01:05 AM
Danglin98

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Golden Road View Post
Yeah, thats actually partly true.

Most players with good hands played a lot of road hockey when they were kids.

haha im a good dangler and i still play tons of road hockey.

and back to the general question. get a street hockeyball (moves better than the pucks) and throw on some roller skates and just skate up and down the road stickhandling and keeping your head up and try and to crossovers.

what i do is i get speed towards the defender stickhandle it and take it one handed on the backhand and skate around him. and something else to try is when he has his stick on the ice, instead of putting it throuhg his feet, try going through the space between him and the blade of the stick

Danglin98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 10:26 AM
HansonBro

i didnt read everyones posts so im not sure if this has been said.

Most dekes are a "set" move. ie two stickhandles (outside then inside) which are used to set up the move...then the move like between the legs off your foot back to the outside.

the idea is to build your own set of "dangles" and use each one appropriately. watch your favorite dangles and pay attention to how they are done and go from there. Dekes usually are not a fluke that just happens during a game...again they are a set play. it just depends on when you use them.

also another good point is to allow the defenceman to close the "gap" between you. Dont go skating into him full blast, make him slow down to meet you. if he doesnt slow down then your just going to back him into the net allowing for a screened shot.

so again....pick a move...analyze it...practice it. make sense?

HansonBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 02:34 PM
Fobwall

Thanks for all the tips guys! One day I'd love to learn how to dangle like my favourite player of all time... Rick Nash! Do you guys think he's the best dangler in the league?

Fobwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 02:48 PM
Hugh Madbrough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fobwall View Post
Thanks for all the tips guys! One day I'd love to learn how to dangle like my favourite player of all time... Rick Nash! Do you guys think he's the best dangler in the league?
Not really close, Kovalev or Datsyuk would get my vote.

Hugh Madbrough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 02:50 PM
noobman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Life View Post
Not really close, Kovalev or Datsyuk would get my vote.
+1.

Rick Nash's moves are more about bulldozing through defencemen.

Martin Havlat is somewhat underrated as a "dangler".

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 08:39 PM
Ra
satan is my homie

http://gateway.invodo.com/productpod...ne%20Warehouse

Thanks me later. Look at the Lecavalier training videos

Personally, I like to fake one side and go the other, passing the puck between his stick and his feet. Most of the time I'm 1 vs 2 so I fake going to the outside then go inside so I can beat two at the same time. Speed is important to me.

If I'm 1 on 1, I like to keep the puck on the back, once I'm about at the same level then the D a little to-drag. By the time he reach for the puck, I'm past him.

Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 02:21 PM
busta9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansonBro View Post
i didnt read everyones posts so im not sure if this has been said.

Most dekes are a "set" move. ie two stickhandles (outside then inside) which are used to set up the move...then the move like between the legs off your foot back to the outside.

the idea is to build your own set of "dangles" and use each one appropriately. watch your favorite dangles and pay attention to how they are done and go from there. Dekes usually are not a fluke that just happens during a game...again they are a set play. it just depends on when you use them.

also another good point is to allow the defenceman to close the "gap" between you. Dont go skating into him full blast, make him slow down to meet you. if he doesnt slow down then your just going to back him into the net allowing for a screened shot.

so again....pick a move...analyze it...practice it. make sense?

A lot of great tips and videos thanks. I like this tip it really seems to be helping me I was always rusing towards the defence then slowing down to try and deke him out. I am learning to be more patient and try and make him come to me and make the first move and I am seeing some results so far. I really believe learning to dangle around other players can be learned. Some players will always be more natuarally talented at it but I think anyone can learn to be pretty effective and slick. Thanks for this tips.

busta9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 06:01 PM
slade

those datsyuk videos are insane-

the stick he uses is a ridiculous length...didnt realize.

slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 08:40 AM
HansonBro

Quote:
Originally Posted by busta9 View Post
A lot of great tips and videos thanks. I like this tip it really seems to be helping me I was always rusing towards the defence then slowing down to try and deke him out. I am learning to be more patient and try and make him come to me and make the first move and I am seeing some results so far. I really believe learning to dangle around other players can be learned. Some players will always be more natuarally talented at it but I think anyone can learn to be pretty effective and slick. Thanks for this tips.
thats great news! I love to help and hear its producing results. Im in the middle of writing a full article packed with all sorts of helpfull tips and "simple" approaches to advanced hockey concepts.

It will be in stores....well never, but you never know

Last edited by HansonBro: 12-03-2008 at 08:50 AM.
HansonBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 12:30 AM
Valasra10

Just get a couple of friends and play some good ol road hockey. That will really help your stick handling. A road hockey ball is much harder to control than a puck on ice.

Also buy one of those Swedish puck handling balls and practice with that in your free time.

Valasra10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 01:44 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Reviving a 4 year old thread? Oh my.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 01:55 AM
Aucoin11*

Put the puck between their body and stick.

Aucoin11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 02:00 AM
ponder

Hands are important, but even more important is vision and timing. You have to keep your head up, get the defender moving the wrong way/off balance, and take advantage of him with the right move at the right time. You're rarely going to be toe dragging or putting the puck through the opponent's legs, the most effective moves are often a simple side to side deke performed at speed at the right time.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 09:39 AM
Greasy Sliders

A move that I like to use is if your a LH coming down the right wing with speed, go backhand to forehand under the defensemans stick. If he bites, you should almost have beat him clean. If he doesn't fall for it, you can either go forehand to backhand under the stick again, you can try going through his legs, or pull it back and toe drag him.

Greasy Sliders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2013, 05:02 PM
nystromshairstylist
Scoring at will

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanW27 View Post
As far as tips go, most importantly keep your head up.
This.

You have to keep your head up at the defensemen/checking forwards to see where they are and what direction they are leaning.

If you have to keep looking down at the puck to see where it is because you have not yet learned the feel of the puck, and can instinctually "feel" or sense how it will move around on the ice - you will not be successful.

As said above, one of the most important aspects is discerning which way the defenders are leaning/moving and then using their momentum and footwork against them. I took judo for a while, and have found it quite applicable as it is entirely based upon using your opponent's momentum against them to throw them off balance. I even try to integrate some of its moves with a head or body fake.

I'd say first get very comfortable handling the puck around you in close quarters without having to look down at it except for a nanosecond. Off ice I use a chair, a golf ball, and force myself to stare only at the TV as I move the ball around the chair legs as quickly as possible. Assuming your TV is about waist high or higher, this will do the trick.

nystromshairstylist is offline   Reply With Quote