HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Tor/van, Col/dal, Cal/cls

Old
11-30-2008, 08:48 PM
Spanky-X-

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpest19 View Post
The best part is, is him saying Lappy will put Avery in his place. You think the locker room is bad now Garrioch put Lappy and Avery in the same room night after night. These 2 absolutely hate each other from their days together in LA. Lappy hates Avery more so than Morrow does. That would be a good idea to put those 2 together again.
For those who don't know, here's an article on it from the Denver Post:
http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/ci_4813698

As a Vancouver fan (and someone who isn't fond of Dallas) .. sure, go ahead and trade Lappy to Dallas. In fact, make him and Avery roomies

Spanky-X- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 09:18 PM
The Brewmeister
#Winning.

Send a message via MSN to The Brewmeister Send a message via Skype™ to The Brewmeister
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty2time View Post
LOL

Ohlund > Kubina
as a player contracts put aside
nice to see 1 person feels that way

The Brewmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 10:09 PM
1234rer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wettowel89 View Post
kubina is worth more than ohlund... no thanks
Nice to see 1 person feels that way

1234rer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 12:03 AM
0123456789*

I like Kubina as a player but he is not as valuable as Ohlund, though its close. Ohlund brings alot of other elements to the game like leadership, playoff play, and more toughness...e erything else is pretty much equal. On top of that the Canucks shouldn't have a problem resigning Ohlund at the end of the season if they want and he wont be getting more than what Kubina is getting now. Kubina also has a NTC which would carry over.
So really this trade makes no sense, Vancouver has absolutly no reason to do this and it doesnt help them now or in the future, and even Toronto doesnt have a reason to do this. Kubina is fine and if they want to dump his salary then they can wait till the trade deadline to get some prospects or picks that will halep Toronto going forward.

0123456789* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 02:43 AM
KeanuReeves

yea the first trade is absolutely pointless on both sides

KeanuReeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 05:52 AM
andora

Send a message via MSN to andora
Quote:
Originally Posted by alesmarv View Post
I like Kubina as a player but he is not as valuable as Ohlund, though its close. Ohlund brings alot of other elements to the game like leadership, playoff play, and more toughness...
see, i don't understand this, this sounds made up...

leadership, i understand ohlund's role and his aura in vancouver, but do know enough about kubina's role in toronto, and even his role in tampa as a leader? honest question...

and playoff play? what do you mean, stepping up offensively or stepping up physically or defensively ... ??? points i'll give you for sure...

and more toughness? how

andora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 07:00 AM
lefty2time*

Just a few years ago (2 maybe) Ohlund was ranked llike 13th or 10th or something on hf rank. He's that solid overall. He hasnt dropped off that much since then either. To say that Kubina is at his level makes you look like a homer.

lefty2time* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 07:44 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by andora View Post
see, i don't understand this, this sounds made up...

leadership, i understand ohlund's role and his aura in vancouver, but do know enough about kubina's role in toronto, and even his role in tampa as a leader? honest question...

and playoff play? what do you mean, stepping up offensively or stepping up physically or defensively ... ??? points i'll give you for sure...

and more toughness? how
I think the values are pretty much the same for both players, however I'd be willing to bet that Ohlund's value to the canucks is much higher than it would be for Kubina... maybe for the Leafs Kubina's value is much higher - and it would make sense if it is.

Kubina is signed for another year after this year... Ohlund is a UFA after this year. That is no doubt going to have impact on the values of these two players especially for a rebuilding team like the Leafs.

For the canucks, Ohlund has been a life-long canuck. He's taken previous deals at below market value to stay in Vancouver... he's indicated that he wants to continue playing in Vancouver, and chances are pretty good that he again takes a very reasonable offer to stay in Vancouver. There's a very good chance, IMO, that Ohlund can be extended for close to what he's making now, and should be signed for less than Kubina's contract moving forward. Given the ties he has to Vancouver, and knowing his place on this team (basically a top 4 guy now in a strong defensive unit, where he's no longer the highest icetime dman - for the first time in his career here).

As far as on-ice play goes, IMO these two are both very similar dmen now... Kubina is a right handed shot, and that is probably the biggest difference between the two. Kubina is the better PP player, IMO... while Ohlund is the better PK player. Their numbers are also similar now... pretty much the same this season, except for the +/-... and their career numbers are pretty much the same, with Ohlund having a slight lead... and of course the +/- numbers, with Kubina being a career -92 - although Kubina has played on worse teams through his careers, so that likely accounts for a lot of it.

The biggest difference though, IMO, is playoff performances. Kubina did win a Cup, and was a key part of that Cup win... however, outside of that, his playoffs haven't been that great... Ohlund has put up the far superior playoff numbers (6 pts in 38 games, vs. 25 pts in 42 games) and has been one of the canucks best playoff performers over the years scoring key goals, and making huge plays every playoff year.

Given that he's been such a big part of the franchise, has been a life-long canuck, has had a big impact on the locker room and the overall chemistry of this team, and has been playing very well all season as well... and finally given his impact in the playoffs... add it all up, and I see little reason for the canucks to move Ohlund for a similar dman like Kubina.

On the flip side, Ohlund is a UFA after this year, and Kubina is signed for another season... why would the Leafs be interested in such a swap?? Granted the Burke connection is there, and they could probably have him tied up to an extension, but the same thing is true in Vancouver - given his ties to the organization and city, it shouldn't be too hard to retain him, and IMO there's a good chance they can do it for less than Kubina is making now.

all that said, IMO, it makes little sense for either team to consider such a move.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 02:47 PM
andora

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty2time View Post
Just a few years ago (2 maybe) Ohlund was ranked llike 13th or 10th or something on hf rank. He's that solid overall. He hasnt dropped off that much since then either. To say that Kubina is at his level makes you look like a homer.
if you are referring to me, then re-read my post please. i asked questions, i didn't make statements of the blasphemy that would be claiming equlity between pavel kubina and mattias ohlund...

Old
12-01-2008, 02:50 PM
andora

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
and IMO there's a good chance they can do it for less than Kubina is making now.
your entire post - no arguements there on any point, and i quoted the most important point as to why vancouver keeps ohlund... i agree with this and it makes ohlund that much more valuable in terms of business..

the only way i could see a want for kubina is if the canucks really needed a solid right handed shot back there... however they have bieksa as of now, so even that need isn't truly pressing (salo as well, but having atleast two RH is pretty ideal imo)

Old
12-01-2008, 02:53 PM
The Brewmeister
#Winning.

Send a message via MSN to The Brewmeister Send a message via Skype™ to The Brewmeister
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1234rer View Post
Nice to see 1 person feels that way
actually, if you read through the thread, more people agree with me

The Brewmeister is offline   Reply With Quote