HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sergei's days are numbered?

Old
12-01-2008, 04:07 PM
Stradale

vCash: 500
I dont think sending him to Hamilton would be a great idea, just yet.

Im not in the organisation so i dont know but one thing i know is that Guy Carbonneau rarely talk to his player, like in his office or whatever. I think Carbo should have a good talk with Sergei, let him know what he should and shouldnt do.

A good talk first, then if he dont responds, scratch him and then send him to Hamilton. Sergei's problem is too emotional on the ice and gets easily provoked. Carbo should tell him to keep control is anger. I dont have any problem when Sergei plays aggresive, but he needs to be careful not to take bad penalities.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 04:09 PM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika Kostitsyn View Post
Just ship this lazy Bum out of this town. This team doesn't need young intense, feisty, cocky, arrogant and talented future star players like Sergei.

We need more guys like Chris Higgins who's despite continuously playing on the first line with the best center of the team and receiving first powerplay ice time, managed to put up impressive numbers (5 goals - 4 assists = 9 points in 17 games, with a 3 goals game).

Despite floating around in 70% of the games, missing open nets, can't score or pass to save his life, he is still the future leader of this team that will win you numerous cups.
Um, if Sergei numbers looked a little better....
23games 3goals 6assists 9points, too many dumb penalties

...you might have an argument, but right now you just make yourself look stupid.

12-01-2008, 04:15 PM
GBurr60

this kid is going to be a SUPERSTAR mark my words. look at how bad ryan obyrnes played the last few games, i say do that to sk74 not send him down to hamilton. give him a seat next to obyrne in the press box. and hes not a bad apple in the locker room just because hes mad about a demotion, if he was happy with it then there would be a problem, theres nothing wrong with a player being mad about being demoted to the fourth line, if it makes him mad and he turns his game around and plays to his potential then thats great, if he continues to play bad however, then causes a distraction about it, then theres a problem....but its too early to tell yet.

GBurr60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 04:25 PM
Mats NAslund

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive425 View Post
Send him down then. Sometimes, kids need a swift kick in the pants. If that's what it takes then by all means kick away!
Why wasn't that ever the case for Latendresse. All he has done is suck and yet never got sent down.

Mats NAslund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 04:28 PM
Mats NAslund

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFly View Post
I posted this in the wrong thread but i'll write it again

I understand the disappointment, but I don't get the backlash. We were patient with Lats last year, despite being up and down, the media(French) never said anything, infact they used to question why he would get benched(only got benched 3 times last year, 0 games in his rookie year). No this is not a Lats bash, it's a comparison so don't flip out.

Sergei has played 75 games in the nhl in 2 years, plays with a revolving door of wingers every game, is responsible defensivly and besides his three penalties he didn't play that brutal.

I think he's just getting way too much blame when there are other guys (Plekanec, Kovalev, Higgins) who should be questioned just as much as Sergei, perhaps more considering that they are verterns.

Again I understand the disappointment, but I think sending him down is blowing things out proportion. He's young, hasn't played a full Nhl season. I think a benching is ok, a send down is wrong considering the patience we've shown Latendresse.
I agree 110%...Maybe if his name was Serge Kostitsine he would given the benefit of the doubt?

Mats NAslund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 04:32 PM
Erik Estrada
Nik Scherbak

Let's look at a few stats for SKost that aren't as prominent: (compilated by LaPresse 26 Nov 08)

-GAA/60 mins icetime: 1.60 (2nd among forwards)
-PP Points by Habs with SKost/60 mins icetime: 8,97 (vs Tanguay 6.85, Koivu 6.59, Markov 5.91, Kovalev 5,25). Demoting SKost to Hamilton will be a boon for our already powerfull PP...

Last edited by Erik Estrada: 12-01-2008 at 04:42 PM.
Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 04:35 PM
le_sean

It's a sophomore slump, it happens to practically ever player not named Crosby or Ovechkin. Look at Gagner in Edmonton, he's an even more offensive player than Sergei and has less points than him. The Oilers are not going to send him down knowing how good he can be. Yes Sergei's penalties were stupid and he should not do that, but I'm sure he learned by being benched.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 04:56 PM
Turboflex*

Not sold on Sergei, he's smaller than his bro, less talented, weaker shot, and a headcase both on the ice and off The best thing he has going for him is that he's fearless and willing to lay people out with huge hits.

This past month he's been completely invisible, and has what like 3 points in the last 12 games? He's gonna have to work really hard and play balls out physical to earn a spot cuz he has the least natural talent and hockey ability of any of the habs' top 9. If he can't do that I'd really consider trading him as part of a package or something for the solid Dman the habs need for depth in the backend as I don't think Sergei can keep a spot on the habs he's a fairly marginal on a talented squad. His future is 3rd or 4th liner but to even get that he needs a Kostopoulos/Lapierre like work ethic which I doubt he's got.

I hope he proves me wrong, it's better for the team but I am pretty skeptical he's got it.

Last edited by montreal: 12-01-2008 at 07:39 PM. Reason: need a link
Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 05:01 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haddock View Post
He then had to go through waivers, wich Sergei doesn't have to do.

Your point is dead.

But I agree that young Kost needs to see the game from the stands before even thinking of the Bulldogs.
His point is NOT dead.

Get your facts checked.

First season, 19 years old, less than 160 pro games, couldn't be sent down because you need to be 20 years old to play in the AHL.

Second season 20 years old, less than 160 pro games, didn't NEED to clear waivers, could be sent down to Hamilton without any problems.

Third season, this season, 21 years old, more than 160 pro games, needs to clear waivers to be sent down.

He IS right. You didn't even check, you only assumed. Just the fact that you assumed this and then bolded the "dead", shows your agenda.

So yeah, it is right. The French media do have a bias towards Latendresse versus other players. And as someone else said, they even complained when Lats was benched. Imagine what it would've been like if he was sent to Hamilton.

But now its Sergei, not Super-Gui, so he should go down to Hamilton.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 05:14 PM
dutchy29

Alot of Penalty minutes for this dude, and not a lot of production, I still like him,
but if he gets in Carbo's bad books, that will be too bad.

dutchy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 05:20 PM
Erika

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboflex View Post
Not sold on Sergei, he's smaller than his bro, less talented, weaker shot, and a headcase both on the ice and off (heavy drinker). The best thing he has going for him is that he's fearless and willing to lay people out with huge hits.

This past month he's been completely invisible, and has what like 3 points in the last 12 games? He's gonna have to work really hard and play balls out physical to earn a spot cuz he has the least natural talent and hockey ability of any of the habs' top 9. If he can't do that I'd really consider trading him as part of a package or something for the solid Dman the habs need for depth in the backend as I don't think Sergei can keep a spot on the habs he's a fairly marginal on a talented squad. His future is 3rd or 4th liner but to even get that he needs a Kostopoulos/Lapierre like work ethic which I doubt he's got.

I hope he proves me wrong, it's better for the team but I am pretty skeptical he's got it.

Say what ?!

Sergei Kostitsyn talent >>> Latendresse talent > Higgins talent

Andrei Kostitsyn talent >= Plekanec talent = Sergei Kostitsyn talent

Not good enough for a top 9 spot ?! LOL

Post of the month !!

Erika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 05:20 PM
Maximus Taylor

He does seem to have some sense of entitlement when he plays, which makes him less hungry. What he did, after all, was pretty great (being brought up so quick and then staying up). He's young and I can see why he'd feel that way.

Carbo sending him to the pressbox could help, I don't know the guy obviously, but I would suggest that he needs to understand that he's not a staple of this team, yet.

As for all the Lats arguments, I don't get it. What the hell does that prove? That Carbo might or might not have made a mistake last year by being patient with Lats? Who cares, we're not talking about Lats here, who has his own set of problems.

Maximus Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 05:23 PM
Corey

Quote:
Just ship this lazy Bum out of this town. This team doesn't need young intense, feisty, cocky, arrogant and talented future star players like Sergei.

We need more guys like Chris Higgins who's despite continuously playing on the first line with the best center of the team and receiving first powerplay ice time, managed to put up impressive numbers (5 goals - 4 assists = 9 points in 17 games, with a 3 goals game).

Despite floating around in 70% of the games, missing open nets, can't score or pass to save his life, he is still the future leader of this team that will win you numerous cups.
No matter what you babble, Higgins is outperforming the lesser brother by a wide margin. The lesser brother had a good opener in the very first game but has stunk ever since. Even Bégin is tied with him in goals and, ironically, is playing with greater discipline. Sergei has become an ass rather than an asset.

Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 05:30 PM
Pascal

From reading some of the posts here it seems some people expected 60-75 pts from Sergei this year.. How about lowering your expectations a bit? I think the media has to do it as well.

It's his 2nd year in the league, and while his penalties and perhaps attitude are bad things, his production should be the least of our concerns IMO. He's not suppose to be a PPG guy, yet.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 05:30 PM
Arctic_Hab_Fan

Everyone is looking at this from the point of view of Performance.

The coach said 'this is a second year kid acting like his a 10 year vet'...I don't see how that doesn't concern people. That says to me, Sergei has a sense of entitlement...

Arctic_Hab_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 05:41 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Not sold on Sergei, he's smaller than his bro, less talented, weaker shot, and a headcase both on the ice and off (heavy drinker). The best thing he has going for him is that he's fearless and willing to lay people out with huge hits.
And here it starts. The best thing going for him is that his vision's as good as any player on the team, if it isn't the best. He's just going through his sophomore slump.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 05:51 PM
LilWinger11

Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
Lats visited the press box more than once in his first & second year.
In his first year, I'm pretty sure Gui was a healthy scratch for exactly one game late in the season. IIRC, he was on fire while Higgins was injured and he took the LW spot on the top line, and his play fell off a bit in the spring as Carbo was playing musical lines trying to get people going.

Quote:
I know people who've seen him drunk off his ass, by himself in bars/clubs, not healthy. Not saying outright that he's got dan cleary/dan ryder syndrome, but it definitely leads me to suspect he's not quite right.
That may be at least somewhat cultural, though... heavy drinking, especially among young men, is more common in Russia than it is in North America. My guess is that within the next couple of years he'll have that wake-up call about taking care of himself and he'll pay more attention to things like sleep and nutrition and watching the alcohol consumption.

LilWinger11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 06:02 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Say what ?!

Sergei Kostitsyn talent >>> Latendresse talent > Higgins talent

Andrei Kostitsyn talent >= Plekanec talent = Sergei Kostitsyn talent

Not good enough for a top 9 spot ?! LOL

Post of the month !!

That statement won't sound ridicule when Lats or Sergei will have scored 73 goals in the span of three seasons (his three first I might add). Call me up if they ever do that. Until then, your typical posts trying to bash Higgins are just seen as what they are. Hey, here's a place you could definetly go and you will find people who are just like you : http://www.rds.ca/forums

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptKirk View Post
Sergei's turds have more talent than higgins
And my own turds make more intelligent comments than you do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
No matter what you babble, Higgins is outperforming the lesser brother by a wide margin. The lesser brother had a good opener in the very first game but has stunk ever since. Even Bégin is tied with him in goals and, ironically, is playing with greater discipline. Sergei has become an ass rather than an asset.
Exactly, and I hope he gets his chite together. I like everyone of our players and wish they'd all do well. I just can't understand the immaturity of those who have to find another player to blast because their favorite player isn't doing well.

Quote:
I know people who've seen him drunk off his ass, by himself in bars/clubs, not healthy. Not saying outright that he's got dan cleary/dan ryder syndrome, but it definitely leads me to suspect he's not quite right.
I just hope he doesn't get too much into it. Might be like Theo Fleury, he got some of his mean streak from that, I presume. So Dan had the same problem as Mike? Where did you read/heard this, it was supposed to be rumors an'all?

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 06:22 PM
Turboflex*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilWinger11 View Post
That may be at least somewhat cultural, though... heavy drinking, especially among young men, is more common in Russia than it is in North America. My guess is that within the next couple of years he'll have that wake-up call about taking care of himself and he'll pay more attention to things like sleep and nutrition and watching the alcohol consumption.
That's fine but the Montreal Canadiens are a team in the world's elite hockey league. Sergei isn't our charity pet or misguided kid brother, he's being paid to play hard and win. If Sergei can't hack it cuz he's immature/a headcase that's tough, there's plenty of hungrier, more talented young and exceptional hockey players ready to prove they're elite and earn a spot in the NHL. I'm glad the habs got a coach like Carbo who's seen it all and knows players' bullsh1t.

Quote:
I just hope he doesn't get too much into it. Might be like Theo Fleury, he got some of his mean streak from that, I presume. So Dan had the same problem as Mike? Where did you read/heard this, it was supposed to be rumors an'all?
For Ryder just rumours, Theo is a better example if the Dan Ryder story is untrue.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 06:35 PM
HotPie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kareem View Post
And here it starts. The best thing going for him is that his vision's as good as any player on the team, if it isn't the best. He's just going through his sophomore slump.
Koivu, Tanguay, and especially Markov have much better vision.

I agree though, he's just going through a sophomore slump. The only reason people are even bashing Sergei is because of Erika..which is sad.

With that said, he needs to be benched. If his play doesn't improve, it's off to Hamilton for a bit.

HotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 06:47 PM
Nitehowl

Just a quick thought.........would you trade AKost and SKost for Kovalchuk?

Nitehowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 06:59 PM
BigTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitehowl View Post
Just a quick thought.........would you trade AKost and SKost for Kovalchuk?
Without a doubt.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 07:04 PM
BigTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptKirk View Post
Your turds must be pretty intelligent then because anyone that knows anything about hockey knows sergei is more skilled than higgins
Your new to this board... so let me just outline one guiding principle:

Here Higgins is considered a great hockey player. He's considered a shutdown defensive forward, and a first line offensive talent. He never deserves to be bumped down in the lineup, and his ridiculous amount of missed scoring chances are just due to extreme bad luck and not lack of talent.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 07:06 PM
Tuggy

The classic HF overreaction to something that happens with plenty of young players and many teams every year.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 07:53 PM
xeric716x
Born To Expire

i wouldnt mind seeing him sit a few games or getting sent down for a month

xeric716x is offline   Reply With Quote