HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Booth Out, McArdle In

Old
12-01-2008, 04:26 PM
Rattrick

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Booth Out, McArdle In

Man, the hits just keep on coming. We're screwed without Booth.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/flapa...from-balt.html

I've never thought McArdle would be a good NHLer.

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 04:28 PM
Biggzy*

This is getting just flat out ridiculous. How many more injuries could we possibly have? This is practically half of an AHL team.

Biggzy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 04:32 PM
Blad Meaning Gud
Yu - Behr - Doe

I actually really like McArdle... He works hard and is just as fast as Booth if not faster, I really find them similar. McArdle doesn't have the hands yet, but Booth didn't when he was first brought up.

Blad Meaning Gud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 04:33 PM
Bure1096

Send a message via AIM to Bure1096
haha if we win, why complain??

Bure1096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 04:34 PM
hoax15

Send a message via AIM to hoax15
I think McArdle will do very well up here. He thrives in a place where hard work is recognized and that's exactly what he brings...hard work.

hoax15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 04:37 PM
Montsy14

Booth out now too? I don't how this could possibly get any worse.

Looks like Olesz might actually have to do something offensively...

Montsy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 04:40 PM
dmonk
doughberle

Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
Argh... that sucks. Booth is one of my favorite non Canes players.

Hope he recovers soon.

dmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 04:45 PM
Rattrick

I will admit that McArdle will be great on the forecheck and his hard work will be appreciated, but I just don't know that he'll ever become an offensive player in the NHL. Ever since we drafted him in the 1st round I thought it was going to come back to bite us, but man would I love to be wrong!

Old
12-01-2008, 05:24 PM
Pukboy5kroner

I've only been able to see him play at the ECHL level, but he was fast and loved to hit. When he was with the Everblades, the one thing I really liked about his game was his dedication to going to the front of the net. I know it's a stretch to think he could bring much in the NHL, but he could be servicable on the 4th line.

Stewart, Olesz, or Dvorak will probably be moved up to the top line for now.

Pukboy5kroner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 05:29 PM
Rattrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pukboy5kroner View Post
I've only been able to see him play at the ECHL level, but he was fast and loved to hit. When he was with the Everblades, the one thing I really liked about his game was his dedication to going to the front of the net. I know it's a stretch to think he could bring much in the NHL, but he could be servicable on the 4th line.

Stewart, Olesz, or Dvorak will probably be moved up to the top line for now.
See, that's a waste of a first rounder if all he turns into is a 4th liner.

Old
12-01-2008, 05:40 PM
Pukboy5kroner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattrick View Post
I was talking about today, as of now. He could just take a bit longer to develop.

There were a few picks taken around him or shortly after that using hindsight would have been better: Cogliano, Vlasic, Stasny, Niskanen. He had a bit of hype coming out of juniors, and he looked like a Keenan-type player, so the Panthers went with him. He hasn't proven to be one of the better picks the panthers have made over the years, that much is true.

Old
12-01-2008, 05:46 PM
Dread Clawz
Markstrom Rules

Quote:
It was definitely a waste of a first rounder, but:

A) You just know Keenan had significant input on that pick and he's just a moron

B) We got screwed in that draft and we had to trade up from 29th just to get up to 20th. The random way in which they let those picks be ordered was just stupid. Yeah, like we really would have been Stanley Cup finalists. We should be sitting pretty with at least a guy like Setoguchi right now, I'm not even asking for a top 5 pick. Imagine if we had Seto or Kopitar or Marc Staal instead of McArdle? I can't believe there wasn't a more scientific way of ordering those selections. Just BS.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 05:53 PM
NJ_CATS_FAN
We Suck Yet Again

Injuries with this team is just beyond ridiculous. Hopefully Booth doesnt miss too much time. Glad to finally get McArdle up here though.

NJ_CATS_FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 05:54 PM
Pukboy5kroner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBouw View Post
It was definitely a waste of a first rounder, but:

A) You just know Keenan had significant input on that pick and he's just a moron

B) We got screwed in that draft and we had to trade up from 29th just to get up to 20th. The random way in which they let those picks be ordered was just stupid. Yeah, like we really would have been Stanley Cup finalists. We should be sitting pretty with at least a guy like Setoguchi right now, I'm not even asking for a top 5 pick. Imagine if we had Seto or Kopitar or Marc Staal instead of McArdle? I can't believe there wasn't a more scientific way of ordering those selections. Just BS.
Yeah, I was po'ed when the NHL announced the draft order and the system they used to determine it. Basically, the two 1st overalls the team traded down in previous years eliminated one of the 3-5 worst teams at the time, the Panthers, from having any real shot at Crosby. Dudley screwed us once again.

Old
12-01-2008, 05:58 PM
Dread Clawz
Markstrom Rules

Quote:
Yeah, I was po'ed when the NHL announced the draft order and the system they used to determine it. Basically, the two 1st overalls the team traded down in previous years eliminated one of the 3-5 worst teams at the time, the Panthers, from having any real shot at Crosby. Dudley screwed us once again.
How did Dudley screw us?

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 06:12 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
I thought it was the fact that you guys had won the draft lotteries in 2002 and 2003 that basically screwed you in the 2005 lottery. Off the top of my head, each team started off with three potential ping pong balls, but if you won a draft lottery from like 2000-2004, then you had one ball removed. So if that's the case, it didn't have anything to do with Dudley.

But yeah, I do emphathize with you guys with the 2005 drawing. Certainly hard to find a way to figure out a draft order that would have made everybody happy, but it seemed unnecessary to punish you guys and Washington for having won a lottery in recent years.

That and in my dynasty fantasy league that year, I was assigned with whichever pick the Panthers came out with.

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 06:20 PM
Blad Meaning Gud
Yu - Behr - Doe

Quote:
I will admit that McArdle will be great on the forecheck and his hard work will be appreciated, but I just don't know that he'll ever become an offensive player in the NHL. Ever since we drafted him in the 1st round I thought it was going to come back to bite us, but man would I love to be wrong!
Did you think Booth would become an offensive player in the NHL?

Blad Meaning Gud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 06:20 PM
ShootIt

That hurts that Booth is out, however, I would not mind seeing McArdle get some NHL to see how well he does in the big league.

ShootIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 06:23 PM
zeroG

let's try to remain positive people

the most important thing right now is that the blue line stays healthy and keeps up their play (hopefully limiting the turnovers) as that's where everything starts. if we can continue to get to the blue line with speed, the soft chips or dumpins will continue to work and we should be successful as long as the guys up front are willing to do the hard work (btw, it should be noted that booth injured his shoulder on the forecheck - hopefully that fact doesn't dissuade others or it's at least offset by the results).

looking forward to seeing mcardle play. also looking forward to seeing matthias and stewie get some more time.

Last edited by zeroG: 12-01-2008 at 06:54 PM. Reason: s/but/by/
zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 06:40 PM
Laus723
Future Now

I agree with Zero. While it always hurts to have Booth out of the lineup, I'm looking forward to seeing McArdle out there. They've won without Stillman and Horton, there's no reason to believe they won't keep coming out working their butts off. Looking forward to tommorrow's game. Will be a tough game, obviously, but I think they'll build off of the Ranger shutout. They didn't lose steam in the 3rd with Booth out.

12-01-2008, 06:55 PM
johano90

Besides Frolik, I thought McArdle was the standout prospect at training camp earlier in the year. He just looked like a solid player. GR says he has 3 goals 7 assists in like 19 games, which doesn't sound all that great, but it is leading Rochester in points... Go figure... Anyways, he's a big body with a lot of speed and a good shot, don't know about his defensive game, but we'll see I guess. I'm just glad we gave him a shot when we passed on him and called up our sure fire prospect (Matthias) who has 4 points and is a -19. I think in order for the play hard and get rewarded mentality to work in the NHL, they have to implement it in Rochester.

Maybe they brought Matthias up to give him some sort of a spark, which is understandable, but other than that, I think the guys who have produced the most deserve to be called up. That being said, I like this call-up over a guy like Brine or Larman and am I excited to not see him on TV.

johano90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 07:05 PM
StrangeVision
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by johano90 View Post
Besides Frolik, I thought McArdle was the standout prospect at training camp earlier in the year. He just looked like a solid player. GR says he has 3 goals 7 assists in like 19 games, which doesn't sound all that great, but it is leading Rochester in points... Go figure... Anyways, he's a big body with a lot of speed and a good shot, don't know about his defensive game, but we'll see I guess. I'm just glad we gave him a shot when we passed on him and called up our sure fire prospect (Matthias) who has 4 points and is a -19. I think in order for the play hard and get rewarded mentality to work in the NHL, they have to implement it in Rochester.

Maybe they brought Matthias up to give him some sort of a spark, which is understandable, but other than that, I think the guys who have produced the most deserve to be called up. That being said, I like this call-up over a guy like Brine or Larman and am I excited to not see him on TV.
Repik is leading Rochester in points with 6G, 7A.

StrangeVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 07:05 PM
Biggzy*

Well, we'll see tomorrow how he plays.

Its sad though that we could've chosen Paul Stastny with that pick, but you never know who's gonna pan out and become a good player.

Biggzy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 08:00 PM
Pukboy5kroner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias4Prez View Post
Did you think Booth would become an offensive player in the NHL?
Exactly what I was thinking. After Booth's first year, or partial year with the team, I can't remember anyone saying, "wow what a steal. This guy's going to be a goal scorer."

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBouw View Post
How did Dudley screw us?
I was just kidding around about trading down with those first overall picks (Bouwmeester and Horton). They still counted against the Panthers when figuring out how many balls they got in that lottery, yet the team never actually used the picks, so I figured I'd get a joke in about old Steelwool Rug. Although he didn't have anything to do with the first one.

Last edited by Pukboy5kroner: 12-01-2008 at 08:05 PM.
Old
12-01-2008, 08:04 PM
Egblad
I May Be The Stig

Send a message via MSN to Egblad
I'm not writing off McArdle until he plays with the squad consistently, would be foolish to write him off before then.

Just checked my center ice and the game wont be shown by comcast or FSN FLA so wont be able to watch him play

Egblad is offline   Reply With Quote