HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sergei's days are numbered?

Old
12-01-2008, 07:59 PM
Kalcon

vCash: 500
Just reading through this thread and I'm absolutely amazed at how some of you guys can jump all over one of our most promising young players.
What do you expect from this guy? He's just 21 years old playing in not only the most demanding hockey cities in the NHL, but one of the most demanding cities in all of sports!
We're just 23 games into the season and some of you are already demanding that he be shipped out of town! For christ sake, let the kid learn his trade!
Sure he's taken some dumb penalties and his production isn't what we thought it'd be but at least he showing that he has spirit and is willing to play hard. Without naming names, that's the only thing that some other players on this team have going for them!
This guy has an abundance of talent. He see's the ice better than most and, IMHO, will likely be a top six forward in a few years.
He reminds me of another talented prospect we had last year...Mikhail Grabovsky.
Maybe their Belarussian culture leads them to act in a different manner that what we expect and are accustomed to, I don't know. That's where development time and patience comes in. That's the reason why so many of our former players go on to have great careers in other cities...we demand too much too early.
Anyway, I just think that this guy is a gem and is the prototypical, new-NHL type player...speed, skill, vision, and plays with a chip on his shoulder.
Let's have some patience and oh yeah....it wouldn't hurt to let him play with a goalscorer or two. If I could make one suggestion to Carbo it would be to leave him and Andrei together for a while and I have no doubt that they will light it up! They do not need an offensive centerman with them. Just a guy to look after his own end of the ice.

Kalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 08:02 PM
Turboflex*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimer View Post
Your new to this board... so let me just outline one guiding principle:

Here Higgins is considered a great hockey player. He's considered a shutdown defensive forward, and a first line offensive talent. He never deserves to be bumped down in the lineup, and his ridiculous amount of missed scoring chances are just due to extreme bad luck and not lack of talent.
Check the stats buddy, 27 goals last year. Dunno why you're trying to argue with facts.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 08:16 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats NAslund View Post
Why wasn't that ever the case for Latendresse. All he has done is suck and yet never got sent down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats NAslund View Post
I agree 110%...Maybe if his name was Serge Kostitsine he would given the benefit of the doubt?
Really ?

Latendresse has been benched few times in the past , Lapierre has been demoted to the AHL , and Bégin , Dandeneault , Laraque and Brisebois have all been benched yet this season .You language allusions are pathetic .

From what Carbo said , the difference betwen Sergei and the others is about the attitude ; the young player acts likes he's in the team for 10 years , and put the team in trouble because his stupid penalities.

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 08:17 PM
JrHockeyFan

I think an even handed approach is needed in this case. Days are numbered? LOL

Is he doing as well as he can do? Probably not

Is he alone in that respect? Definitely not

Did he take some dumb penalties? Obviously. With 10 minors (1 misconduct as well right after his bro was dinged) 3 of them in one game that is pushing it. But Lang has 13 minors and 26 min. Has this gone un-noticed? Should Lang sit for a bit too?

Anyway. Sit a game? Sure why not. Demote to Hamilton? Gimme a break.

Part of the problem I see here is that Carbo has these guys bouncing around from line to line from game to game and within a game. The kid has kept his mouth shut about it. He's not going to pull a Grabo.

Take a look at the team scoring. It's not hard to see why a lot of players (some vets) are not getting any points. Nothing is clicking with any frequency

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 08:23 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Sergei is young. Give him time. Yes, a turn or two in the pressbox would be beneficial and if that fails, then maybe send him down for a month or so. But we must stop expecting the moon from such young kids like him and Latendresse.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 08:27 PM
cprice31

You people have short memories.

S.Kost was the turning point of our season last year when he was called up and instantly became one of best all-round players.

He was VERY good in the playoffs last years.

Stop the insanity, the kid has a lot of promise and a lot of potential..just chill a bit

cprice31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 08:33 PM
ti-vite

Reminder:

Last season: 52 regular season games.
This seson: 23 games.

ti-vite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 08:40 PM
LesCanadiens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika Kostitsyn View Post
Just ship this lazy Bum out of this town. This team doesn't need young intense, feisty, cocky, arrogant and talented future star players like Sergei.

We need more guys like Chris Higgins who's despite continuously playing on the first line with the best center of the team and receiving first powerplay ice time, managed to put up impressive numbers (5 goals - 4 assists = 9 points in 17 games, with a 3 goals game).

Despite floating around in 70% of the games, missing open nets, can't score or pass to save his life, he is still the future leader of this team that will win you numerous cups.
Higgins needs to step it up, no doubt...but give your head a shake. Higgins scored 23 goals in his rookie year....22 goals in 62 games in his sophomore year...and 27 goals last year.

Also, Higgins averages roughly 24 penalty minutes per year. So he doesn't take STUPID penalties. Sergei has 30 penalty minutes alone this year...in only 23 gp. Most of them dumb, selfish and usually lazy or retaliation penalties. And in this his second year after only 52 GP his first. He's been me first team second this year and it has to end.

So please think before you post. If you actually thought about it objectively rather than reacting like you're his wife, maybe your posts wouldn't be so ridiculous.

LesCanadiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 09:04 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimer View Post
Your new to this board... so let me just outline one guiding principle:

Here Higgins is considered a great hockey player. He's considered a shutdown defensive forward, and a first line offensive talent. He never deserves to be bumped down in the lineup, and his ridiculous amount of missed scoring chances are just due to extreme bad luck and not lack of talent.
This can't be all you take from the Higgins discussions can it? Because to tell you the truth I can't boil down fan views of any player into such extreme opinion. Seems that a public, albeit moderated forum censures and debates extreme views like this.

But if this is the forum consensus on Higgins it's closer to reality than its polar opposite. He's a good player, more valuable than what you infer here.

Agnostic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 09:06 PM
dre2112

Habs fans are such drama queens. Just because he sits a game or two does not end a career

dre2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 09:07 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

I'm watching 110% right now and they're going bunkers on Sergei. Jesus he's not that bad.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 09:11 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
I'm watching 110% right now and they're going bunkers on Sergei. Jesus he's not that bad.
You have to take anything they say with a huge grain of salt. I'll be the first to say he was overrated in the off season and he needs a benching or trip to Hamilton...but I still think he'll be a good NHLer.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 09:14 PM
Erik Estrada
Nik Scherbak

Quote:
Everybody's shared the word, it's off with Sergei's head. Repeating that he's bad enough times makes it true.

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 09:16 PM
dre2112

Quote:
Just a question since I don't have 110%... do they ever say anything negative about Kovalev... because that guy has been worse than any forward even with his 15 points on the season.

This hate on Kostitsyn(s) seems to stem from their love of Latendresse and how they feel he should be playing their spot.

dre2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 09:18 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
Everybody's shared the word, it's off with Sergei's head. Repeating that he's bad enough times makes it true.
Montreal Hockey Media at work. It's like these guys have gone to the same meeting.

Old
12-01-2008, 09:23 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdHC View Post
Just a question since I don't have 110%... do they ever say anything negative about Kovalev... because that guy has been worse than any forward even with his 15 points on the season.

This hate on Kostitsyn(s) seems to stem from their love of Latendresse and how they feel he should be playing their spot.
Strangely no Kovalev hate(except Marc Bureau who always hate Kovy, even last year he was skeptical).

To me the turning point of this year is Kovalev not being on the level that he was. Last year the skilled guys all had to follow Kovy. And they can't do this this year.

btw, Marc Defoy just said that maybe it's time to start criticising Latendresse. And he play like a wuss.

Old
12-01-2008, 09:26 PM
Ra
satan is my homie

Quote:
Montreal Hockey Media at work. It's like these guys have gone to the same meeting.
they're doing their part of the final solution. If it can light a fire under his ass.... It's not like Gainey will listen to them anyway..

Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 09:27 PM
Bileur

He's a BUM! Thankfully the Sens will take a hit for their Canadiens friends and him off your hands.

Bileur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 09:28 PM
JrHockeyFan

The media is about grist for the mill. Without anything to talk about they have no job. If they don't make it sound important, nobody pays attention.

No freaking wonder we can't get anybody to sign as a free agent.

Frankly I think Carbo could have helped matters by just dealing with the issue without talking to the press about it. It's not like SK is a major issue at present

I'm thinking Carbo is feeling some heat. This whole thing is overblown. Before that last game versus Buffalo the kid had 7 minors in 22 games. I think everybody knows he shouldn't have taken 3 in one game. If it's about attitude he should have handled it quietly.

I don't see BG criticizing Carbo's results in the papers

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 09:35 PM
Erik Estrada
Nik Scherbak

Quote:
Strangely no Kovalev hate(except Marc Bureau who always hate Kovy, even last year he was skeptical).

To me the turning point of this year is Kovalev not being on the level that he was. Last year the skilled guys all had to follow Kovy. And they can't do this this year.

btw, Marc Defoy just said that maybe it's time to start criticising Latendresse. And he play like a wuss.
He had to walk on egg shells, talked under his breadth, yet still got attacked by Bureau and Jean-Charles and they ended that topic by laughing alltogether at how much worse SKost was to Latendresse.

Old
12-01-2008, 09:38 PM
BigTimer*

Quote:
He had to walk on egg shells, talked under his breadth, yet still got attacked by Bureau and Jean-Charles and they ended that topic by laughing alltogether at how much worse SKost was to Latendresse.
I used to get bothered by Bureau... but then realized that the guy's desperate to keep a job in order to feed his family.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 09:46 PM
Erik Estrada
Nik Scherbak

Are you refusing to see/acknowledge the media's bias because you think it will scapegoat or indict a whole society? Is it impossible to criticize one without criticizing the other?

Last edited by Blind Gardien: 12-02-2008 at 07:34 AM. Reason: qdp
Old
12-01-2008, 09:49 PM
emb24*

Quote:
Are you refusing to see/acknowledge their bias because you think it will scapegoat or indict a whole society? Is it impossible to criticize one without criticizing the other?
bottom line, the montreal media here is constantly courting idiotic controversy. BUT it is part of their job to create this sensationalism. part of the problem is the undiscerning fans who continue to lap it up and suck it in as gospel truth. i met pierre gauthier about 3 months ago at a montreal resto near the bell center he frequents. his and i suppose bob gainey's take on the french media? and i paraphrase as best i can:

'this city is hockey mad, the passion is great and yes the media can be out of control but it is what makes this place special to play and work in. players and management realize the media is creating a show, it's a show and we don;t perceive it as anything more'

his words.

Last edited by Blind Gardien: 12-02-2008 at 07:33 AM. Reason: Degeneralizing
emb24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 09:51 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

I don't know why when talking about a player, one must turn it onto another player. If we're talking about Kostitsyn having to step it up one notch, why do we have to bring in Latendresse and/or Higgins and/or Kovalev into the mix? Because someone else doesn't play well doesn't change the fact that young Kostitsyn needs to improve, in my opinion. It's a smoke screen that's pretty easy to read through...

In both young Kostitsyn and Latendresse's cases, they're young. Give them time as they're not the problem. The main problem sits with some veterans (young and older) not playing the way they did last year.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 09:55 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Well Jean-Charles has a freakin point. DeFoy wants Latendresse to be meaner and tougher and use his body...the GUY NEVER DID IT! He was a lot bigger than most guys in the Q and even then, wasn't using his body so much, now he has to do it on bigger guys.

Latendresse needs to play on an offensive line and scores. That's why they got him. They didn't draft him so he could play the role of a 3rd and 4th liner. But for that to happen, he needs to be in an offensive line, needs to stay close to the net, needs to pick up the rebounds and needs to play a role in the powerplay. That's what Latendresse is all about.

Then if you try him extensively and it doesn't work, then you can either trade him or explain to the guy that he can't be succesful as a sniper and be a 3rd liner who can score from time to time.

But Latendresse becoming meaner makes as much sense as Higgins having better hands...

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote