HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Full Contact Adult Leagues

Old
11-24-2008, 11:37 AM
Synergy27

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack View Post
I've played in the Hackensack league too, and in Division 6 we had a defenseman that was routinely penalized for standing guys up in the zone. Note, he didn't hit them, he just kept his gap and when they tried to deke around him he wouldn't let them follow the puck. You might snicker because it's D6, but there are actually some very good stickhandlers even at that level.

I've watched some of the D2 games and it's real quality hockey, but the most physical play that I've seen is guys battling for pucks which is allowed at every level.
Yeah, I think we actually talked on here a couple of times about possibly joining forces when I was looking for a team. I'm definitely not one to snicker at the "lower" levels because the more exposure I get to that league the more I realize that some guys just choose a night to play that is convenient to them, rather than a night that better suits their skill level. This works both ways too, though, as I've played with some guys that should definitely be on beginner teams in some of the higher divisions. I'm not sure why this isn't more strictly enforced, but I guess money is money to the league, but I also think this phenomenon plays into escalating physicality in non-checking leagues. It becomes obvious pretty quickly which guys don't belong, and those guys start to get targeted when the other team gets frustrated. It's human nature, i think.

Synergy27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 01:13 PM
AngryBoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murderin Murphy View Post
Still a pretty fun game
Exactly.
And unlike 20-somethings with no real jobs, kids, or responsibilities, I have to make sure I get up in the morning to put food on my families table.

I don't need to worry about some young idiot looking to pretend he's Scott Stevens in game 7 of the finals trying to lay me out.

There are usually a handful of contact leagues in every city. Find one and hammer guys to your hearts content.

AngryBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2008, 02:42 AM
OilerNut*

The no checking leagues here are usually pretty lenient. I get hit a couple times a game. Nothing that will injure you, just a good solid check along the boards (most of the time). A month ago this guy came at me from behind full speed and nailed me. Ended up injuring my arm. All he got was 2 mins for bodychecking, which he argued saying he got to the puck first which I couldn't really understand seems how I had the puck. In any case, how is hitting a guy like that legal if you get to the puck first or not. This is why bodychecking should never be in beer league hockey, you always have a couple meatheads on every team.

OilerNut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2008, 03:40 AM
RobertKron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
Is it just my general area (northern N.J) or is it near to impossible to find a full contact adult league. I played for a travel roller team in h.s that was full contact and am just switching to ice b/c of the lack of adult options for roller and i am not ready to give up hockey for a long time. But all these ********* leagues where checking is a penalty seriously makes me doubt hockeys future. What is hockey w/o contact?!
Why would beer leaguers not playing checking hockey be a cause to doubt the future of the sport? Last time I checked, future NHL talent doesn't come from beer league hockey.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2008, 04:00 AM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

For the same reasons there aren't many tackle football leagues for adults either. Most of its flag football.. then they have semi-pro and amateur tackle football which usually has guys that have played college football that are conditioned and strong enough to not get killed.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2008, 04:10 AM
OilerNut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW View Post
Why would beer leaguers not playing checking hockey be a cause to doubt the future of the sport? Last time I checked, future NHL talent doesn't come from beer league hockey.
Way to kill my dream!

OilerNut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 10:18 AM
dbbourn

Over the summer I believe Mennen Arena has an adult league with checking. Not sure where in Northern NJ the original poster is from though. Mennen is near Morristown.

dbbourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 10:45 PM
Muttley*
Zach=2 games left

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
Is it just my general area (northern N.J) or is it near to impossible to find a full contact adult league. I played for a travel roller team in h.s that was full contact and am just switching to ice b/c of the lack of adult options for roller and i am not ready to give up hockey for a long time. But all these ********* leagues where checking is a penalty seriously makes me doubt hockeys future. What is hockey w/o contact?!
The Ice Vault in Wayne has checking leagues during the summer.

Muttley* is offline   Reply With Quote