HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Trick To Kostitsyns

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-02-2008, 01:59 AM
  #1
HockeyF3ind
Registered User
 
HockeyF3ind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,827
vCash: 500
The Trick To Kostitsyns

IMO the trick to having the Kosty bros work is to have just one of them to push the envelope and put up more points, that in itself will inspire the other through sibling rivalry to do better and up his game. I mean its not a shocker but yea one gets going they both do is the jist. They have the same number of points...i rest my case.

HockeyF3ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 02:01 AM
  #2
dre2112
Registered User
 
dre2112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: US and A
Country: United States
Posts: 2,935
vCash: 500
The trick is to put them in a position where they have the freedom to play their own game and not be stuck in the passenger seat while Kovalev drives the car.

dre2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 02:02 AM
  #3
HockeyF3ind
Registered User
 
HockeyF3ind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,827
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CdHC View Post
The trick is to put them in a position where they have the freedom to play their own game and not be stuck in the passenger seat while Kovalev drives the car.
But why wouldn't Kovy drive the car??? Afterall he is the best driver in the world!

HockeyF3ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 02:05 AM
  #4
bhuya71
Registered User
 
bhuya71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Bangladesh
Posts: 2,432
vCash: 500
the entire team is a slump...akosts play will elevate the others...couple more wins...more goals will eventually go in etc and trust me the w column will start improving so will the goal and assists column we did kinda take off after the christmas break last year

bhuya71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 02:10 AM
  #5
dre2112
Registered User
 
dre2112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: US and A
Country: United States
Posts: 2,935
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyF3ind View Post
But why wouldn't Kovy drive the car??? Afterall he is the best driver in the world!
Kovalev can get you from Laval to downtown in about 7 minutes weaving in and out of traffic but will crash and explode just as he gets off the exit at Atwater

dre2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 02:21 AM
  #6
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,282
vCash: 50
A kost hasn't been all that bad, we've seen some good flashes lately.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 02:26 AM
  #7
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!
 
Le Tricolore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montreal
Posts: 27,604
vCash: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyF3ind View Post
But why wouldn't Kovy drive the car??? Afterall he is the best driver in the world!

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 08:35 AM
  #8
WeThreeKings
Registered User
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,344
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
I think Andrei has at least a point (or a point per game) every game he's been away from Kovalev.

Case and point?

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 08:45 AM
  #9
BigTimer*
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,970
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
A kost hasn't been all that bad, we've seen some good flashes lately.
Not quite Getzlaf and co. flashes though...

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 09:57 AM
  #10
zurg999
Registered User
 
zurg999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Brampton ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,532
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimer View Post
Not quite Getzlaf and co. flashes though...
Do you ever have a real point?

zurg999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 09:59 AM
  #11
BigTimer*
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,970
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zurg999 View Post
Do you ever have a real point?
That we seem to have a pair of enigmas here. Because last season was the same story.

Not quite Getzlaf style lunch pail guys unfortunately.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 10:03 AM
  #12
zurg999
Registered User
 
zurg999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Brampton ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,532
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimer View Post
That we seem to have a pair of enigmas here. Because last season was the same story.

Not quite Getzlaf style lunch pail guys unfortunately.
So? Doesn't mean that in the long term, A Kost won't pay off as well, factoring in the lottery that the draft is.

Same draft year as Kost/Getzlaf, 23 teams passed on Mike Richards. I guess they were all stupid.

zurg999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 10:16 AM
  #13
BigTimer*
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,970
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zurg999 View Post
So? Doesn't mean that in the long term, A Kost won't pay off as well, factoring in the lottery that the draft is.

Same draft year as Kost/Getzlaf, 23 teams passed on Mike Richards. I guess they were all stupid.
At this point, Kost is falling into the Nilsson category production wise... Not a bad pick per say, just a puzzling one considering our historical lack of grit at center.

That was an astonishingly poor draft considering the talent available.

1. Akost
2. Urquart
2. Lapierre
3. O'Byrne

Halak was pretty much the best value in that draft... 9th rounder.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 10:21 AM
  #14
zurg999
Registered User
 
zurg999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Brampton ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,532
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimer View Post
At this point, Kost is falling into the Nilsson category production wise... Not a bad pick per say, just a puzzling one considering our historical lack of grit at center.

That was an astonishingly poor draft considering the talent available.

1. Akost
2. Urquart
2. Lapierre
3. O'Byrne

Halak was pretty much the best value in that draft... 9th rounder.
On the other hand, 4 NHL starters from one draft could be considered successful drafting.

zurg999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 10:27 AM
  #15
BigTimer*
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,970
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zurg999 View Post
On the other hand, 4 NHL starters from one draft could be considered successful drafting.
Or you could take the homer goggles off.

Urquart is a joke. Lapierre is a career 4th liner. O'Byrne is on thin ice as far as his NHL career goes.

Halak has shown a good deal of promise... but it just hurts to see Kostitsyn out there after watching guys like Richards, Getzlaf, Brown, and Parise take command of key roles both on the ice and in the dressing room at such young ages.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 10:45 AM
  #16
Lucius
Registered User
 
Lucius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,705
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimer View Post
At this point, Kost is falling into the Nilsson category production wise... Not a bad pick per say, just a puzzling one considering our historical lack of grit at center.

That was an astonishingly poor draft considering the talent available.

1. Akost
2. Urquart
2. Lapierre
3. O'Byrne

Halak was pretty much the best value in that draft... 9th rounder.
2003 called, they want their posts back.

Seriously, we all know Getzlaf and Carter and Richards were better choices than Kostitsyn. At some point, you need to let go, accept that no one will consent to a do over and judge Kostitsyn on his own merits and not draft position.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 10:49 AM
  #17
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimer View Post
At this point, Kost is falling into the Nilsson category production wise... Not a bad pick per say, just a puzzling one considering our historical lack of grit at center.

That was an astonishingly poor draft considering the talent available.

1. Akost
2. Urquart
2. Lapierre
3. O'Byrne

Halak was pretty much the best value in that draft... 9th rounder.
Lack of grit at center? Ever hear of a guy named Saku?

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 11:01 AM
  #18
BigTimer*
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,970
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Lack of grit at center? Ever hear of a guy named Saku?
Oh boy... your trap, keep it shut.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 11:08 AM
  #19
Lucius
Registered User
 
Lucius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,705
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Lack of grit at center? Ever hear of a guy named Saku?
Ugh - Even though I disagree with everything Ari has posted here, this one I gotta take issue with.

I love Koivu, and while he has a huge amount of heart, grit isn't exactly his game. He's tenacious, chippy at times. But he's a finesse player at heart.

The Habs have had a historical lack of grit at centre, that much is dead on correct.

Mind you, we have a historical lack of grit at left and right wing too

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 11:20 AM
  #20
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimer View Post
Or you could take the homer goggles off.

Urquart is a joke. Lapierre is a career 4th liner. O'Byrne is on thin ice as far as his NHL career goes.

Halak has shown a good deal of promise... but it just hurts to see Kostitsyn out there after watching guys like Richards, Getzlaf, Brown, and Parise take command of key roles both on the ice and in the dressing room at such young ages.
A.Kost had a key role last year for the last 60 games, 1st line, 1st PP etc.

He may or may not end up as good as those guys, but it would be dumb to call him a bad pick.

You can name any team in the nHL and I can find you a draft where they missed a star player or more.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 11:23 AM
  #21
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimer View Post
Oh boy... your trap, keep it shut.
So Saku is not gritty? I guess the whole hockey world must be idiots then.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 11:25 AM
  #22
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
Ugh - Even though I disagree with everything Ari has posted here, this one I gotta take issue with.

I love Koivu, and while he has a huge amount of heart, grit isn't exactly his game. He's tenacious, chippy at times. But he's a finesse player at heart.

The Habs have had a historical lack of grit at centre, that much is dead on correct.

Mind you, we have a historical lack of grit at left and right wing too
What's the difference between heart and grit? In my book and most people who watch hockey it means the same thing.

Saku is nothing if not gritty, nobody else in the NHL wins as many battles against bigger/stronger players. If that's not grit, I don't know what is!

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 11:30 AM
  #23
BigTimer*
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,970
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
A.Kost had a key role last year for the last 60 games, 1st line, 1st PP etc.

He may or may not end up as good as those guys, but it would be dumb to call him a bad pick.

You can name any team in the nHL and I can find you a draft where they missed a star player or more.
You have to look at the organizational needs at the time. Ribeiro hadn't even made the slightest impact in the league and still weighed 172 pounds. Koivu was about a year removed from his return from cancer. We needed a center.

Koivu is fiesty and all... but he's in his mid-30's and an upcoming UFA. Lang is an upcoming UFA.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 11:44 AM
  #24
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimer View Post
You have to look at the organizational needs at the time. Ribeiro hadn't even made the slightest impact in the league and still weighed 172 pounds. Koivu was about a year removed from his return from cancer. We needed a center.

Koivu is fiesty and all... but he's in his mid-30's and an upcoming UFA. Lang is an upcoming UFA.
You don't draft by need in the 1st round, that's a sure way of making a bad pick. Koivu was 28 2003. Plekanec was also on the way and they drafted Higgins in Rd1 2002 plus they drafted 4 centermen in the top 4 rounds after A.Kost


Last edited by Monctonscout: 12-02-2008 at 11:52 AM.
Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 01:28 PM
  #25
Lucius
Registered User
 
Lucius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,705
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
What's the difference between heart and grit? In my book and most people who watch hockey it means the same thing.

Saku is nothing if not gritty, nobody else in the NHL wins as many battles against bigger/stronger players. If that's not grit, I don't know what is!
To me, gritty is someone who can impose themselves physically on their opponent, fight, take hits, give hits, keep going.

Koivu wins battles with his skill, not his strength. He's tenacious, but besides a couple highlights here and there, he's not a physically intimidating force. Nor should he be.

Begin, Kostopolous... they're gritty. What the Habs have lacked is a centre who shares those qualities and combined them with actual talent and size down the middle.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:11 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.