HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT • 11/28 • New York Rangers @ Florida Panthers • 7:30 PM • MSG

Old
11-29-2008, 03:14 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus View Post
A point never disputed. I was discussing:

1. WHY the team is in first place, not THAT the team is in first place. (And thus the value of standings in judging the quality of a team.)

2. The implications of HOW they are earning wins. (And thus the value of standings in judging the quality of a team.)

1. Then you concede Boston. Fair.

2. Your reasoning only works if you assume that those teams with games in hand will continue to perform exactly as they have so far. This has yet to be determined. One need only look at the Flyers over the last 7 games to see this.

What we know today is that part of the reason the Rangers have their current stock of points and thus their current standing is that they have played games other teams have not. When those other teams play an even number of games, we will know how the Rangers stand in relation to them vis a vis standings.

The way they stand in relation to them as a hockey team is another thing.

LOL. Your argument is working for me, not the reverse. The Rangers do indeed have fewer OT losses. The reason is, of course, that they are winning shootouts. Thus losses are being turned into wins, even though those "wins" are not a product of playing hockey. They are the product of a skills competition.

The upshot of the Rangers' superiority in this skills competition? They are winning more games which is shaping their position in the standings. Thus their standing is in some measure a statement not of their ability to play hockey, but to win breakaway contests.

This has been my point from the start.

I think you'll be hard pressed to find anyone who denies they're winning. What you'll find is that people are questioning the implications of HOW they're winning.

This is the side of the conversation you've scrupulously ignored, offering only a glib "you win, you win," as if nothing could be taken from watching HOW a team wins.
I edited my post before while you were responding. I didn't the tone i think it may have been portraying. But it was meant in a simple discussion tone.

Anyway:

Yes, they have gotten a handful of shootout wins. But wins in the regular season are wins.

You get the wins to gain home ice in the playoffs.

Our only TRUE issue is the lack of 'finish'. They lack enough players with a killer mentality in regards to scoring goals.

That is why our power play has struggled to be productive.

And possibly the team needs a little more sandpaper.

At (or before) the trade deadline that can be fixed. So i am not worried about the playoffs yet. I think this team will look a little different and more complete before the playoffs start.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 03:30 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
I edited my post before while you were responding. I didn't the tone i think it may have been portraying. But it was meant in a simple discussion tone.
Good enough.

Quote:
Yes, they have gotten a handful of shootout wins. But wins in the regular season are wins.
Agreed. I'd say the only place we disagree is on the value placed on the regular season. For me, the Blueshirts are a playoff team. As a result, I'll assess this season on their playoff performance, and I care little about their regular season except as it might indicate how they'll perform when the games matter.

Now is it better to win shootouts than lose shootouts? Sure. But of more significance to me is that shootouts make up a disturbingly large percentage of their winning percentage.

Quote:
Our only TRUE issue is the lack of 'finish'. They lack enough players with a killer mentality in regards to scoring goals.

That is why our power play has struggled to be productive.

And possibly the team needs a little more sandpaper.
Again, we agree.

Quote:
At (or before) the trade deadline that can be fixed. So i am not worried about the playoffs yet. I think this team will look a little different and more complete before the playoffs start.
We'll see. What fixes can be made will depend on the market, obviously. The team needed to acquire an offensive defenseman for last year's playoffs. They got Paul Mara and *shudder* Backman.

There can be no doubt Sather will try to address the team's shortcomings, but whether or not the players will be out there, and whether or not the Rangers have the assets needed to get them ... well ... we'll see.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 01:45 PM
Dougmustgo*

Funny how Fritsche scores one goal, comes within inches of the second goal and still plays only 6 minutes in the game. Are we trying to see how much production we can get in a very little amount of ice time or just simply not giving this kid a legit chance on this team. I believe the latter of the two is the obvious.

Dougmustgo* is offline   Reply With Quote