HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I'd hate to break this to you guys...

Old
11-30-2008, 07:50 PM
Ian
Mike York fan club

vCash: 500
The difference between 8th and 15th is 7 points and it's not even December, but hey preach on about beating "playoff teams."

Ask me in 5 months when 2 points is the difference between a division title and the 6th seed if I care we beat a "non-playoff" team in October.

People just like to complain for the sake of complaining. There is not a person on this board that thinks the Rangers have no room for improvement, yet the trolls come out in full force after losses (and wins for the most of the year), and spew the same garbage over and over.

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 08:21 PM
Tender Rip
Learning from Scuds?

I would just love to go 'told you so, told you so' and point back to my pre-season prediction that Rangers aren't going to make the playoffs amid all this doom and gloom.
But then I remembered that it would be really bad form to do so, and came to think that actually Rangers to my recollection haven't been doing bad at all against these 'top' teams.

And what could be more proper than to check it out:

Fri Oct 10, 2008 Blackhawks Rangers 2 - 4 W
Sat Oct 11, 2008 Rangers Flyers 4 - 3 W
Mon Oct 13, 2008 Devils Rangers 1 - 4 W
Sat Oct 18, 2008 Rangers Red Wings 4 - 5 O
Sat Oct 25, 2008 Penguins Rangers 2 - 3 W
Sat Nov 8, 2008 Rangers Capitals 1 - 3 L
Wed Nov 12, 2008 Rangers Devils 5 - 2 W
Sat Nov 15, 2008 Bruins Rangers 2 - 3 W
Wed Nov 19, 2008 Canucks Rangers 6 - 3 L

So, I believe that is 9 games against teams currently in, with a 6-2-1 record the result. On the strenght of that some reactions here seem a tad dramatic....

On a personal note, I do find that Rangers is far, far, far too much about what kind of freakish things Lundqvist does in goal. As said before the season, I think your team is saddled with contracts that insures that you will be an also ran (might make the playoff, yes, but little more if anything) as long as some of the baaaad ones are not dealt with, and most the times I've seen you, you've looked like that team.

But then again, suddenly you get third period team greatness like against us and Boston, where you might not have deserved much before, but suddenly play tough as nails pressure hockey that makes you very much a team deserving of your standings.... suppose one could also argue that the only way is up for Gomer, Drury and Duby for instance.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 08:25 PM
lbrowne

Right down to men's beer league hockey alot of teams have an outright problem with keeping their tempo against a subpar team.

That said, I've seen alot of games where the Rangers played down to their opponent's level and then finally woke up and eventually won the game in whatever fashion. Sometimes they didn't wake up soon enough.

Then I also seen them play up to the speed of much tougher teams and really skate with them. I'm excited to see what happens against this next part of the schedule, because the Rangers usually play much more entertaining hockey against higher level opponents (save for the vancouver games ugh...)

I say bring it and lets see the mettle of our vets and kids really tested.

lbrowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 08:57 PM
jniklast

yes it was a brutal game today, yes the team relies too much on lundqivst, yes we played mostly non-playoff teams, and yes the other teams have some games in hand on us.
but as long as our longest losing streak is at 2 and our point percentage at 0.667 (on pace for about 110 points) i deny to accept that the sky is falling

jniklast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 09:56 PM
Macke*

It would be awesome to see the Rangers sign Sundin just to shut up the trolls.

The Rangers are fine right now, though I just can't see them getting past the second round at most with this team... who knows the playoffs are a crapshoot...even more so in the East.

Macke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 10:03 PM
Ian
Mike York fan club

Quote:
Originally Posted by There's only one 66 View Post
I would just love to go 'told you so, told you so' and point back to my pre-season prediction that Rangers aren't going to make the playoffs amid all this doom and gloom.
But then I remembered that it would be really bad form to do so, and came to think that actually Rangers to my recollection haven't been doing bad at all against these 'top' teams.

And what could be more proper than to check it out:

Fri Oct 10, 2008 Blackhawks Rangers 2 - 4 W
Sat Oct 11, 2008 Rangers Flyers 4 - 3 W
Mon Oct 13, 2008 Devils Rangers 1 - 4 W
Sat Oct 18, 2008 Rangers Red Wings 4 - 5 O
Sat Oct 25, 2008 Penguins Rangers 2 - 3 W
Sat Nov 8, 2008 Rangers Capitals 1 - 3 L
Wed Nov 12, 2008 Rangers Devils 5 - 2 W
Sat Nov 15, 2008 Bruins Rangers 2 - 3 W
Wed Nov 19, 2008 Canucks Rangers 6 - 3 L

So, I believe that is 9 games against teams currently in, with a 6-2-1 record the result. On the strenght of that some reactions here seem a tad dramatic....

On a personal note, I do find that Rangers is far, far, far too much about what kind of freakish things Lundqvist does in goal. As said before the season, I think your team is saddled with contracts that insures that you will be an also ran (might make the playoff, yes, but little more if anything) as long as some of the baaaad ones are not dealt with, and most the times I've seen you, you've looked like that team.

But then again, suddenly you get third period team greatness like against us and Boston, where you might not have deserved much before, but suddenly play tough as nails pressure hockey that makes you very much a team deserving of your standings.... suppose one could also argue that the only way is up for Gomer, Drury and Duby for instance.
Even if every team below the Rangers played equal amounts of games and won every single one (which is technically impossible since some of them would match up), the worst possible place they could currently be in would be a tie for 6th, 2 points out of 1st place in their division and 2nd in the conference.

Great "told you so" moment here to bring up your awesome pre-season predictions just a little over 2 months into the season.

You figure with this long of a troll post it would at least be somewhat intelligent.

Old
11-30-2008, 10:18 PM
Tender Rip
Learning from Scuds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
You figure with this long of a troll post it would at least be somewhat intelligent.
Reading comprehension much? It is trolling to say that in fact your record against the better teams is good (thus questioning the negative premise of this thread)? That you seem to up the level when needed like against Pens and Boston? Mentioning your 6-2-1 record? That's trolling?

As for the told you so... what kind of "Rangers will miss the playoffs" told you so from me would look very smart with you leading the Atlantic? I'm debunking my pre-season guess, you halfwit!

That I think Sather has done a horrible job and that Rangers will have difficulties contending going forward is something else. And its an opinion I seemingly share with most Rangers fans here.

Old
11-30-2008, 10:37 PM
Ian
Mike York fan club

Quote:
That I think Sather has done a horrible job and that Rangers will have difficulties contending going forward is something else. And its an opinion I seemingly share with most Rangers fans here.
Quote:
I think your team is saddled with contracts that insures that you will be an also ran (might make the playoff, yes, but little more if anything) as long as some of the baaaad ones are not dealt with, and most the times I've seen you, you've looked like that team.
Yeah, it's pretty much "trolling" to roll in a thread and throw backhanded compliments like above, even after you sugarcoat with info someone else already listed 4+ hours earlier. Pretty much pure coincidence you are browsing a divisional rival's boards after a loss I'd bet.

Just because other people may agree with you doesn't make your opinion any more intelligent.

Old
11-30-2008, 10:51 PM
HellOnIce

Quote:
Yeah, it's pretty much "trolling" to roll in a thread and throw backhanded compliments like above, even after you sugarcoat with info someone else already listed 4+ hours earlier. Pretty much pure coincidence you are browsing a divisional rival's boards after a loss I'd bet.

Just because other people may agree with you doesn't make your opinion any more intelligent.
I think the Rangers could easily finagle their way out of contracts...

That's why there is the AHL and Waivers.

It's what the Devils do!

HellOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 12:11 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Who knows, maybe the competition against the good teams will get them going...

They beat the Devils, Bruins, Blackhawks, Pens already - all decent teams.

Im not about to throw the towel in on this team just yet. But I am concerned about their offense and PP, not to mention the misleading record.

But don't discount this -

There is concern about the upcoming schedule, but the games are more spread out now going forward so that might help. Only 12 games in December - lets not forget the Rangers have played the most games in the league. The past three seasons theyve had to have a great stretch run - but also a more favorable schedule for rest and practices. This seasons no different except that this year they managed to get off to a great start.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 01:13 AM
Sidgeni Malkby

I don't post much here...yet....I used to post often on RangersNet before they upgraded and turned the board to crap...

Anyhow....I'd rather we lose now then down the homestretch. We all knew that after all the changes over the summer, we had a lot of "ifs". I expected them to be 4-6 in the 1st 10 due to those "ifs"...and honestly am pleasantly surprised by their success.

I don't think this team has cup winning talent, and yes, I am a bit bitter about screwing it all up 2 summers ago.....getting Gomez/Drury and dropping Nylander was a gamble.....however....there is still lots of time between now and the trade deadline to figure it out.

If not, I would say there is an amazing future here with Zherdev, Dubinsky, Staal, and Lundy.

I would have mentioned Dawes, but no clue what's up with him this year.

Sidgeni Malkby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 03:42 AM
Tender Rip
Learning from Scuds?

Quote:
If I had in fact seen the previous run-down of the positive results, I would have had no reason to go to your NHL.com affiliated site to check it out myself... nor to post them here.
And yes, it is a coincidence that I post in this thread after a loss, but I imagine it isn't a coincidence it was started after one.

Quote:
That is infinitely true. Just like the reverse isn't necessarily the case.
Lighten up. I am sure there are opponent fans who take wilder swings at Rangers here than the above. I am damn sure there are many Rangers fans here who do.

Old
12-01-2008, 02:24 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfinkel1 View Post
Just because you are not making that argument does not mean other people are not. I for one have seen it numerous times and I only check HF once or twice a day.
You're mixing up your arguments.

Assessing the team's on-ice performance is not the same as assessing the level of competition they've faced. This team has proven that success and performance can be mutually exclusive. That's the problem with trying to use one as support for the other.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 02:45 PM
Jersey Girl

Not to mention 16 home games thus far, versus 11 road games. We all know why, but that does leave a potential hole for Henrik to carry us out of on his back.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 03:27 AM
LeftCoastRangersFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
Total Games Played:27
Games played against teams currently in the playoffs:8
Games played against teams currently not in the playoffs:19
Remaining games against teams currently in the playoffs:35
Remaining games against teams currently not in the playoffs:20

We've been beating up on the scrubby teams, the easy part of our schedule is over.
This simply proves the obvious: the Rangers are exactly where we expect them to be. No one expected them to be Cup contenders. No one thought they'd go 82 - 0. Look at the roster & look at the record, all is exactly as it should be.

LeftCoastRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 09:13 AM
Garv23

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoastRangersFan View Post
No one thought they'd go 82 - 0.
No one outside this board, that is.

Garv23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 10:10 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
we are placed better than most of us dared to hope.
We are relying too much on our goalie and the shoot out. No doubt about it.
We are having trouble scoring goals - this is an issue we need to address and I reckon we are addressing it.

With only one player on the par for 60 pts is not good enough.

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 10:11 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
.....and the coach is doing a fine job!

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 02:26 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoastRangersFan View Post
This simply proves the obvious: the Rangers are exactly where we expect them to be. No one expected them to be Cup contenders.
Another way to put it is that it supports some pre-season predictions against other pre-season predictions. There were those - and still are I'm pretty sure - who believe this team is a Cup contender.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 02:36 PM
blue2noise

Quote:
If I had in fact seen the previous run-down of the positive results, I would have had no reason to go to your NHL.com affiliated site to check it out myself... nor to post them here.
And yes, it is a coincidence that I post in this thread after a loss, but I imagine it isn't a coincidence it was started after one.

That is infinitely true. Just like the reverse isn't necessarily the case.
Lighten up. I am sure there are opponent fans who take wilder swings at Rangers here than the above. I am damn sure there are many Rangers fans here who do.
Back to the steel mill with ya. Run along now

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 02:50 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2noise View Post
Back to the steel mill with ya. Run along now
Steel mills barely exist in this town anymore. Unless of course you count the empty ones.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 03:08 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
No one is making that argument.

The team can't be concerned with who they're playing, only how they're being beaten. Starting with the Isles, bad teams have proven you can beat the Rangers with pressure on the puck carrier. Address the issue of poor decision making and even poorer pass execution or it won't matter what the record of the opponent is.
Agreed. The team probably isn't happy with what's going on, but this is a situation where they need to look at themselves, not outside influences.

Generally, when they win and when they lose is dictated by how they play. When they play well for the majority of a game, they pull out the win (or, like against Detroit, make it close against a great team). When they leave their legs in Westchester, they lose.

This team's strengths and problems don't have too much to do with their schedule, if you ask me.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote