HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#24 -- Lightning at Flyers -- December 2, 2008 -- 7:00 PM (ET)

Old
12-02-2008, 12:11 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

vCash: 500
Lol we all love downie, even though we want to see him fighting lol

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 12:14 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
Asham would destroy Downie imo, as long as he does not run Gags I am happy.
One upside to such an event would be the precipitous drop in his Puppy Love Quotient around here...

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 12:18 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
By the way, looking at the game notes, the Flyers' home PP is 2nd in the league, but 8th overall. Hopefully the Philly crowd stays behind them and they step up on their chances!

GO FLYERS!

Old
12-02-2008, 12:25 PM
orange and black48
BUTTHEAD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
One upside to such an event would be the precipitous drop in his Puppy Love Quotient around here...
...aint that the truth. Might be time to move on, and I was quite the fan.

LETS GO FLYERS!

orange and black48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 12:34 PM
Kambo

Send a message via AIM to Kambo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
Ah, you're just mad that no one shows this type of love for your boy Jones.

Kambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 12:36 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsbergIsOdin View Post
I was literally just listening to this. DIO kicks ass! So do your choices. always awesome.
DIO Rules!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange and black48 View Post
...aint that the truth. Might be time to move on, and I was quite the fan.

LETS GO FLYERS!
So people arent allowed to continue to cheer for a player that left the team??? I for one still follow the careers of Zubrus, Williams and Brindamour very closely and will route for them other than when playing the Flyers. I will also do the same with Downie. Doesnt mean people havent moved on.....

Maybe people who have something against him should move on and stop caring whether any of us still like the guy or not (This isnt directed at you but rather who you are quoting and others who have always hated/bashed Downie)

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 12:37 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kambo View Post
Ah, you're just mad that no one shows this type of love for your boy Jones.
Definitely....

Old
12-02-2008, 12:51 PM
orange and black48
BUTTHEAD!

Quote:
So people arent allowed to continue to cheer for a player that left the team??? I for one still follow the careers of Zubrus, Williams and Brindamour very closely and will route for them other than when playing the Flyers. I will also do the same with Downie. Doesnt mean people havent moved on.....
I think in the case of those guys it is a bit different. They played a few more games in Philly (except maybe Williams) where we were able to see them blossom. I still root for Brindy, I watched his entire warmup at the game the other day. But...I think Downine is still the golden boy around here when legitimatly he has done nothing in the NHL but hit a few people...HARD! He had some memorable moments to Flyers fans but outside of that, well, not a whole lot. Will I still follow Downie? Yeah here and there. But he is the opponent now, and I cannot hope he does well or even fights one of our players.

orange and black48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 01:18 PM
Kambo

Quote:
I think in the case of those guys it is a bit different. They played a few more games in Philly (except maybe Williams) where we were able to see them blossom. I still root for Brindy, I watched his entire warmup at the game the other day. But...I think Downine is still the golden boy around here when legitimatly he has done nothing in the NHL but hit a few people...HARD! He had some memorable moments to Flyers fans but outside of that, well, not a whole lot. Will I still follow Downie? Yeah here and there. But he is the opponent now, and I cannot hope he does well or even fights one of our players.
That's a pretty ****** thing to say. How can you root for Brindy and others who are opponents, but sit there and say you don't want Downie to do well? Is it just because he hasn't played as many games, or because the league decided to make an example of him?
I still say and will always say Downie was made to be a Flyer. Aside from his stupid mistakes, I like the way he plays the game. He is passionate, and has no problem defending anyone on his team. Doesn't matter that he hasn't played a set amount of games for the Flyers, and using that as an excuse is pretty stupid. And by even bringing up a set amount of games that someone plays, does that imply you're not a fan of other players based solely on the fact that they've never even worn the orange and black?
I'm over the trade, and have been over it, as probably most of the other Downie fans are, but that does not mean we still can't root for him, especially when this organization shat on him.

Old
12-02-2008, 01:30 PM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

With all of this Downie talk going on...I might as well clarify that I never even liked him all that much. My biggest reason for appreciating him was that his wackiness lead to great inspirations for photoshops. Silly, I know...but truthful nonetheless. And I also miss him for that reason more than any other. The photoshop threads haven't been the same without him.

claude boivin lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 01:33 PM
Kambo

Quote:
Originally Posted by claude boivin lives View Post
With all of this Downie talk going on...I might as well clarify that I never even liked him all that much. My biggest reason for appreciating him was that his wackiness lead to great inspirations for photoshops. Silly, I know...but truthful nonetheless. And I also miss him for that reason more than any other. The photoshop threads haven't been the same without him.
I'm not gonna lie, I too miss the photoshops.

Old
12-02-2008, 01:50 PM
Totally Radivojevic

Downie pretty much never gets beaten cleanly in fights. In fact, all his fights are very similar... the other guy may throw more punches, but almost none land cleanly. Way more often than not he'll land the best punch of the fight, and take only glancing blows at best. That's one thing I've noticed while watching all of Downie's fights over the years, not too often can you say he flat out lost.

Totally Radivojevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 02:12 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Zubrus did not blossom here at all. He played two full seasons and didnt get past 33 points. He really didnt fully blossom until he got to Washington. I think Williams played a little more here but not much.

Just because he didnt play here much doesnt mean you cant enjoy the way a guy plays....which is the case with Downie. People take all the fun comments about Downie too seriously. Yes, a lot of people on here like him but I look at a lot of it as just fun, not that we think he is some kind of golden boy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kambo View Post
That's a pretty ****** thing to say. How can you root for Brindy and others who are opponents, but sit there and say you don't want Downie to do well? Is it just because he hasn't played as many games, or because the league decided to make an example of him?
I still say and will always say Downie was made to be a Flyer. Aside from his stupid mistakes, I like the way he plays the game. He is passionate, and has no problem defending anyone on his team. Doesn't matter that he hasn't played a set amount of games for the Flyers, and using that as an excuse is pretty stupid. And by even bringing up a set amount of games that someone plays, does that imply you're not a fan of other players based solely on the fact that they've never even worn the orange and black?
I'm over the trade, and have been over it, as probably most of the other Downie fans are, but that does not mean we still can't root for him, especially when this organization shat on him.
Well said and I agree.

Old
12-02-2008, 02:14 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
But...I think Downine is still the golden boy around here when legitimatly he has done nothing in the NHL
That sounds about right. From the moment he was drafted he was a cause celebre around here, Hockey's Bad Boy (like Mike Barnes), lots of people invested emotionally in him, then he took the ice and it was nothing but lazy drifting, dumb penalties, stupid mistakes, and outright thuggery. Not enough to like and certainly nowhere even in the vicinity of Brind'Amour.

Old
12-02-2008, 02:38 PM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

http://atdhe.net/live-tv-1033.html

webcast.

Vikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 02:43 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Don't lose.

I wouldn't mind seeing Downie prove some people wrong, though.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 02:58 PM
ForsbergIsOdin

Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
Im apathetic towards Downie, but some of you guys have a total hard on.

ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 03:22 PM
Terence Peterman

dio has rocked, for a loong looong time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
Don't lose.

I wouldn't mind seeing Downie prove some people wrong, though.
definitely.

eminger's got 8 points in 11 games since being traded.

anyway...goooo flyers.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 03:38 PM
Miss Mess

Briere is back!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by claude boivin lives View Post
And again, Blake...
I laugh everytime I see this one. The look on Blake's face! Hhaha

Last edited by Miss Mess: 12-02-2008 at 03:46 PM.
Miss Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 03:43 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
carle has a monster game tonight and scores 3 points. cmon team, show some signs of life out there.

jones is an alright player, but my only bone to pick is that stevens uses him way too much. he ends up getting exposed, which makes him look worse than he is.

LEIFey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 03:44 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 9000
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsbergIsOdin View Post
Im apathetic towards Downie, but some of you guys have a total hard on.
Agreed. Let it go, he's gone and he is going to be a checking line player at best. He's got the hands, but I really don't think he'll ever put it together.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 03:56 PM
Terence Peterman

and, i know it's still early in the year, but tampa's dead last again. can you imagine them getting number one for the second year in a row? do they go with tavares, or a more balanced building approach with hedman?

either way, it's funny.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 03:58 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
and, i know it's still early in the year, but tampa's dead last again. can you imagine them getting number one for the second year in a row? do they go with tavares, or a more balanced building approach with hedman?

either way, it's funny.
They trade it for the rights to sign Jay Bouwmeester, but ultimately goes awry.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 04:01 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 9000
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post

either way, it's funny.
I think they have to go with Hedman. They are set at center w/Stamkos & Lecavalier, and their defense leaves a lot to be desired.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 04:16 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
I'm only going to be at home for the first period so I hope it's a good one. Downie, Stamkos and Recchi, eh? I'd love to see Downie score a couple and flip off Stevens.

And curse you Rogers, this one is on TSN2 which I don't get!
Arggghhhhh are you kidding me?

Guess I'm watching this one online -- I'll need a link fellas.

CharlieGirl is online now   Reply With Quote