HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Trick To Kostitsyns

Old
12-02-2008, 01:30 PM
Lucius

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimer View Post
You have to look at the organizational needs at the time. Ribeiro hadn't even made the slightest impact in the league and still weighed 172 pounds. Koivu was about a year removed from his return from cancer. We needed a center.

Koivu is fiesty and all... but he's in his mid-30's and an upcoming UFA. Lang is an upcoming UFA.
Well, I will disagree on organizational needs. The Habs have said often that they draft BPA, not by need.

See example: Carey Price.

Theodore was a superstar and they got lambasted.

We may have needed a centre, but at the time, they saw Kostitsyn as a top 5-10 guy who slipped due to health concerns that their medical people had said would not be an issue. So they grabbed him.

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 01:32 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdHC View Post
The trick is to put them in a position where they have the freedom to play their own game and not be stuck in the passenger seat while Kovalev drives the car.
Put the brothers with Lang and it will take care of itself.

Lats with Kovy and Pleks for some grinding and in front of the net presence is better as well as both Kovy and AK like to work the outside.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 02:03 PM
Licou

I wouldn't worry about A. Kost, he is finding his grove, even when playing with 4th liners. He can create his own opportunities.

For the younger one, he just needs to focus and reevaluate his role on the team. This is not something that is out of character for a young player in his sophomore year. Tonight's scratch might do him good. I wouldn't worry about our favorite Belorussians at this point.

Licou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 02:13 PM
BigTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
Well, I will disagree on organizational needs. The Habs have said often that they draft BPA, not by need.

See example: Carey Price.

Theodore was a superstar and they got lambasted.

We may have needed a centre, but at the time, they saw Kostitsyn as a top 5-10 guy who slipped due to health concerns that their medical people had said would not be an issue. So they grabbed him.
BPA... Urquart and Lapierre in the second round? Both centers taken off the map? And then Locke a couple of rounds later.

Andre Savard botched that draft and it's the truth. We had a chance to get some big boys who crash, bang, and score but we reached on a guy who only showed glimpses and has unfortunately continued that trend.

For what it's worth, I wanted either Brown or Getzlaf.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 02:14 PM
Lucius

Quote:
BPA... Urquart and Lapierre in the second round? Both centers taken off the map? And then Locke a couple of rounds later.

Andre Savard botched that draft and it's the truth. We had a chance to get some big boys who crash, bang, and score but we reached on a guy who only showed glimpses and has unfortunately continued that trend.

I'm sorry if I didn't clarify that at the draft table, when IDing the BPA, they were not blessed with the ability to read the future.

Your argument was that we needed a centre, thus they erred in Kostitsyn. Clearly, with hindsight, the BPA at those various picks was someone else. Unfortunately, real life doesn't work that way and I am sure with each pick, they took who they believed was the best player available.

Old
12-02-2008, 02:16 PM
Licou

Quote:

Well, stop with the ranting, we all get your point and I personally approve it. (Even though I am a big fan of A Kost).

It's time for you to work on creating a time machine so that Gainey actually drafts Getzlaf. Oh and Gagné too, and Brodeur, and Lidstrom and ....

Licou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 02:25 PM
BigTimer*

Quote:
I'm sorry if I didn't clarify that at the draft table, when IDing the BPA, they were not blessed with the ability to read the future.

Your argument was that we needed a centre, thus they erred in Kostitsyn. Clearly, with hindsight, the BPA at those various picks was someone else. Unfortunately, real life doesn't work that way and I am sure with each pick, they took who they believed was the best player available.
Whoever thought Urquart and Lapierre were the BPA should be fired on the spot. Complete waste of two high picks in one of the best draft years in recent history. I'm not asking them to tell the future, everyone gawked at those two picks when they went down and the reasoning behind the picks left much to be desired.

Old
12-02-2008, 02:27 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Whoever thought Urquart and Lapierre were the BPA should be fired on the spot. Complete waste of two high picks in one of the best draft years in recent history. I'm not asking them to tell the future, everyone gawked at those two picks when they went down and the reasoning behind the picks left much to be desired.
Feel free to link me to a forum post or article from around the time of the draft that does that.

I don't remember anyone thinking those picks were especially insane at the time. Clearly, they thought something was good there or they wouldn't have picked them. And yes, in retrospect Urquart was a horrid pick, but that's easy to say five years later.

Old
12-02-2008, 02:32 PM
Boulette Cannon

Mike Richards - 24th overall

Start building the time machine boys!

Boulette Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 02:35 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
Put the brothers with Lang and it will take care of itself.

Lats with Kovy and Pleks for some grinding and in front of the net presence is better as well as both Kovy and AK like to work the outside.
S.Kostystyn is playing like crap, the last thing we need is for him to drag his brother down. Lang is not doing much 5 on 5 either.

Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 02:40 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

Urquhart was a skilled guy with size, unfortuntely he did not develop. Lapierre came as advertised, big guy who sates well and plays an energy role.

Old
12-02-2008, 02:40 PM
BigTimer*

Quote:
Feel free to link me to a forum post or article from around the time of the draft that does that.

I don't remember anyone thinking those picks were especially insane at the time. Clearly, they thought something was good there or they wouldn't have picked them. And yes, in retrospect Urquart was a horrid pick, but that's easy to say five years later.
3 of our picks that year played in our own backyard with the Montreal Rocket. They even played in the damn Bell Center. Those 3 guys were Urquart, Lapierre, and Bonneau. How do you cluster**** two of those picks (I'll let Bonneau slide) when you have the chance to watch them play that many games.

Urquart was an average point getter in a high scoring league. He was known to be soffffft, and the decision to pick him was based on his playoff stretch. Lapierre scored 40 something points in his draft year in the Q... he wasn't enormous, wasn't a great fighter, and certainly didn't have a scoring touch of any kind. He had speed... but not much else. I'm trying to find the CSB rankings for these two guys but I'm not having much luck.

Old
12-02-2008, 02:41 PM
Boulette Cannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
S.Kostystyn is playing like crap, the last thing we need is for him to drag his brother down. Lang is not doing much 5 on 5 either.
We just need Sergei to find his chemistry with Lang back. We all know he has it with Andrei, but imagine if everything would click.

Old
12-02-2008, 02:41 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGGINS! View Post
Mike Richards - 24th overall

Start building the time machine boys!

Richards is a pretty good player, I fail to see what the obsession is with him.

Old
12-02-2008, 02:43 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
We just need Sergei to find his chemistry with Lang back. We all know he has it with Andrei, but imagine if everything would click.
A.Kost is our best pure finisher, why play him with our 3rd best center?

Old
12-02-2008, 02:51 PM
BigTimer*

Quote:
Complete player. Same with Brown. We don't have 1 guy like either of them.

Old
12-02-2008, 02:56 PM
Boulette Cannon

Quote:
Well, he's a complete package and has tremendous leadership qualities.

Old
12-02-2008, 02:58 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:
Wasn't it Andre Savard who was in charge of that draft? I know Timmins was there but IIRC Savard was the one who called the shots.

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 03:06 PM
BigTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrei Kosteegin View Post
Wasn't it Andre Savard who was in charge of that draft? I know Timmins was there but IIRC Savard was the one who called the shots.
Yeah, as I said earlier Savard botched this one. Gainey was also there but he let Savard and co. handle the draft.

Old
12-02-2008, 03:10 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Yeah, as I said earlier Savard botched this one. Gainey was also there but he let Savard and co. handle the draft.
All GM's basically leave the draft up to their scouting department...except the 1st round. GM's are tooo busy with their team to see 200 junior games a year.

Old
12-02-2008, 03:12 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Well, he's a complete package and has tremendous leadership qualities.

So are Koivu Hamrlik Higgins and Komisarek.

Old
12-02-2008, 03:37 PM
Boulette Cannon

Quote:
Ok.

Old
12-02-2008, 03:51 PM
BigTimer*

Quote:
I get the feeling you only watch Habs games. Sad.

Old
12-02-2008, 04:36 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
I get the feeling you only watch Habs games. Sad.
Hey, I resemble that remark! But honestly, it gets harder to stay on top of the league for some of us. I don't know if that's the true sad or not, though.

I would guess that a reasonable percentage of NHL fans only/mostly watch their own teams' games?

Blind Gardien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 04:39 PM
BigTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Hey, I resemble that remark! But honestly, it gets harder to stay on top of the league for some of us. I don't know if that's the true sad or not, though.

I would guess that a reasonable percentage of NHL fans only/mostly watch their own teams' games?
I could care less which teams people watch, but running your mouth and bunching guys like Higgins, Komisarek, and Hamrlik with names like Richards, Brown, and Getzlaf just makes our whole fanbase look retarded.