HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

CKAC Sports du Lit vs The Morning Show Team 990

Old
12-02-2008, 02:07 PM
FrankMTL

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by j c petit View Post
Yeah but mine sag in front too.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=bag-sag

1. bag-sag
When your scrotum hangs farther from your body than normal. mostly happens when you have a fever or overheated.

"I hate running with bag-sag, I always end up with sore nuts and a brused leg."

FrankMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 02:15 PM
ROEN
HabsHQ

I had the chance to intern with the morning show, truly good guys ! you have no clue how much laughing goes on off air

these guys are there every morning at 5 AM preparing the show hardcore, and it's a pretty tough shift !

ROEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 02:20 PM
ROEN
HabsHQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Sweets View Post
Team 990 all the way... although Price can be very annoying sometimes.. as well as Starr.. Casavant is solid, he saves the show.

Bob McKenzie is on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays around 8am

Sports Du Lit.. not too bad.. it's good to hear Pat Burn's point of view when he comes on... but I feel they sometimes just don't get it when it comes to the Habs.. and I feel they try to stir **** up for no reason
I disagree, my personal opinion is that people associate Price and Starr a bit too much to the Expos and other shows, but Elliott is an encyclopedia of sports, asolutely dominating the other guys, Shaun is the glue that keeps it together, you have to see this guy go at it, he's by far the busiest guy on the show

ROEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 02:30 PM
Joe Cole

Team 990 needs more content and less jabbering between the 3 hosts. They have 15 minutes of content max per hour. The repeated "sports updates" are just unnecessary. Besides McKenzie, they have zero in the mornings. No special interviews, just boring segments like "Mise au Jeu" and stock tips.

As for Sport du Lit, the Burns 1/2 hour is gold. Bergy and Demers need to be put out to pasture. As for Gregoire, he has a different way to see things. I rarely agree, but... at least he tries. His hockey vs football thing is getting old.

In non-hockey season, Sport du Lit trumps Team 990 with much better features and interviews.

CKAC listener polls are as pointless as RDS or Lou Dobbs. You KNOW what the results will be because of the way the question was asked.

Overall winner... Sport du Lit, even for an anglo.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 02:54 PM
FrankMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
Team 990 needs more content and less jabbering between the 3 hosts. They have 15 minutes of content max per hour. The repeated "sports updates" are just unnecessary. Besides McKenzie, they have zero in the mornings. No special interviews, just boring segments like "Mise au Jeu" and stock tips.

As for Sport du Lit, the Burns 1/2 hour is gold. Bergy and Demers need to be put out to pasture. As for Gregoire, he has a different way to see things. I rarely agree, but... at least he tries. His hockey vs football thing is getting old.

In non-hockey season, Sport du Lit trumps Team 990 with much better features and interviews.

CKAC listener polls are as pointless as RDS or Lou Dobbs. You KNOW what the results will be because of the way the question was asked.

Are you sure you're not talking about Melnyk?? I swear to god, sometimes he just puts on old music because he has nothing better to say. Then there's a commercial..then he's advertising for "Environement Electronique", then Andie has an update..Talks to Rod and Andie for a minute about anything that happened over the course of the day (sports related or not), back to commercial...repeat every 20 minutes.

His only saving grace is his Stephen Brunt and Pierre McGuire portions....I would love to see the amount of time actually dedicated to sports discussion on his show..Who cares about Vargas Restaurant and Environement Electronique or Dilallo's Buck Burger

Old
12-02-2008, 02:57 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMTL View Post
Who cares about Vargas Restaurant and Environement Electronique or Dilallo's Buck Burger
Wow....if you don't care about Dilallo's...you don't know anything about gastronomy.....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 03:03 PM
FrankMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Wow....if you don't care about Dilallo's...you don't know anything about gastronomy.....
My arteries are fairly clean.....is there an association between the two??

Old
12-02-2008, 03:37 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post

They do have som eother correspondents, shows how ell I know them, a guy from NY, Washington and a media insider, along with Gagnon, but no real incisive interviews. I don't often think to put it on in my office, maybe to hear McKenzie but silence is growing on me.

It's pretty well taste though. Melnick interviewed Angelo Dundee and George Chuval last week, best radio I've heard in a while. He's in a class by himself doing interviews, but if someone wants a pure hockey show with line combinations arued about, it's the wrong show, more of a sports/music/lifestyles/citybeat sort of thing and frankly, that's more what I want to hear. I couldn't imagine the drudgery of 40 minutes of whether AK should play lw or rw.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 03:39 PM
mikeg

OK, well this thread settles it for me, since i am only in the car from 7:45 to 8:25. CKAC untill 8AM, and then flip to the team.

mikeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 03:54 PM
FrankMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
They do have som eother correspondents, shows how ell I know them, a guy from NY, Washington and a media insider, along with Gagnon, but no real incisive interviews. I don't often think to put it on in my office, maybe to hear McKenzie but silence is growing on me.

It's pretty well taste though. Melnick interviewed Angelo Dundee and George Chuval last week, best radio I've heard in a while. He's in a class by himself doing interviews, but if someone wants a pure hockey show with line combinations arued about, it's the wrong show, more of a sports/music/lifestyles/citybeat sort of thing and frankly, that's more what I want to hear. I couldn't imagine the drudgery of 40 minutes of whether AK should play lw or rw.
Well thats what bugs me...when he actually interviews people and is not plugging a restaurant or store, he's the best in Montreal imo...but there is not enough of that on his show. Too much of his show is fluff and filler I find...Almost like they're trying to fill up enough airtime with commercials to pay his salary.

Old
12-02-2008, 06:32 PM
Nakamura
私はクソの葉を憎む

Quote:
Well thats what bugs me...when he actually interviews people and is not plugging a restaurant or store, he's the best in Montreal imo...but there is not enough of that on his show. Too much of his show is fluff and filler I find...Almost like they're trying to fill up enough airtime with commercials to pay his salary.
They need to plug restaurants and stores or else they might just disappear. It takes what.. 30 secs of your time? Not too bad. CKAC has way more publicity.

Nakamura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 06:55 PM
Bohemian93

well being english i go with 990

Bohemian93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 07:40 AM
FrankMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Sweets View Post
They need to plug restaurants and stores or else they might just disappear. It takes what.. 30 secs of your time? Not too bad. CKAC has way more publicity.
Well anyways, seems like Melnyk doesn't spend that much time talking...less then the morning show, thats for sure.

Old
12-03-2008, 08:09 AM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Are you sure you're not talking about Melnyk?? I swear to god, sometimes he just puts on old music because he has nothing better to say. Then there's a commercial..then he's advertising for "Environement Electronique", then Andie has an update..Talks to Rod and Andie for a minute about anything that happened over the course of the day (sports related or not), back to commercial...repeat every 20 minutes.

His only saving grace is his Stephen Brunt and Pierre McGuire portions....I would love to see the amount of time actually dedicated to sports discussion on his show..Who cares about Vargas Restaurant and Environement Electronique or Dilallo's Buck Burger
I was not speaking about Melnyk, but I do agree. The fat content on Team 990 is unhealthy.

Yes, when Melnyk is good, he is damn good. When he is uninspired, the structure of the show leads to a succession of wasted segments waiting for Brunt and McGuire.

The other regular invitees are less than interesting.

Old
12-03-2008, 08:21 AM
Captain Saku

Pat Burns at 7:30 AM on CKAC is PURE GOLD! I swear I arrive late at work everyday just to listen to the complete segment of Pat Burns!

He always has so much to say! Michel Langevin and Gabriel Gregoire are a good duo too!

Captain Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 08:25 AM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post

To be clear, I was not talking about Melnyk, I was speaking about the morning show. I have listened to Melnyk since his days of the late night show, with the Miles Davis (or was it Coltrane...) intro. When he was a Tevan-ite. I will continue to listen to him. That said, his show has too much fluff too.

If you want to talk music/lifestyle/citybeat, well, do so. But have it sustained for more than one half hearted segment.

The morning show is a parade of segments which do not vary from day to day, and the same updates, over and over. When was the last time they had a GM of ANY sport on the show? A scout? An announcer from another city? A former pro player telling stories? They are in a rut.

CKAC has a local slant on every topic that makes it too homogenous, but their format is free-er flowing and varies from day to day. Plus, maybe they focus too much on Quebec born invitees who work in other areas, but at least they have invitees.

For me, CKAC either puts in more effort into there morning show, or they just get better results for their efforts. 990 seems like they are scrambling from one promotional event to the other to collect ad revenue in order to keep the lights on.