HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Panthers injury issues

Old
12-02-2008, 07:16 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Panthers injury issues

What the he!! is going on with this team? Over the past few years, we have been top three in man games lost per season. This season we have:

Booth
Horton
Stillman
Allen
Zednik
Murphy
Boynton
Weiss
Vokoun
McCabe
Kreps

Miss at least a game with some type of injury. That, I believe, is 50% of our roster sidelined with injuries. Every year, we seem to make a late run in March. Some might think that the reason for that is because the pressure is on the team. Well I think it happens then because thats when it seems we get all our guys back and healthy. We NEVER get to see what our team can be from the get go, and I cant understand what the problem is. Is it a curse, because the team was built on an old Indian burial ground? Is it our training/medical staff? Not all blame can be put on them because some of the injuries are freak injuries that occur on the ice, but this is ridiculous.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 08:36 AM
RoadDoggFL

Send a message via AIM to RoadDoggFL Send a message via Yahoo to RoadDoggFL
The hockey gods were Jets fans.

RoadDoggFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 10:09 AM
PanthersRule96

Maybe we need to stop signing/drafting such injury prone players. It's not that that's usually a key element in a signing or pick, but you know Weiss, Olesz, Murphy, Zednik, and McCabe are going to miss games with injuries. Then you have the freak injuries that happen to most all teams (excluding the Zed incident). When several of your more important players are injury-prone, stuff like this happens.

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 10:23 AM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersRule96 View Post
Maybe we need to stop signing/drafting such injury prone players. It's not that that's usually a key element in a signing or pick, but you know Weiss, Olesz, Murphy, Zednik, and McCabe are going to miss games with injuries. Then you have the freak injuries that happen to most all teams (excluding the Zed incident). When several of your more important players are injury-prone, stuff like this happens.
??? how the hell are you supposed to know if a 16 yo kid is going to be injury prone as a pro?

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 10:25 AM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
??? how the hell are you supposed to know if a 16 yo kid is going to be injury prone as a pro?
Duh! JM needs to look into that crystal ball every GM is supposed to have and foresee it. And if he has no such crystal ball, it's further evidence that he's a bad GM

Sorry, it needs to be said

12-02-2008, 10:27 AM
Acadmus

Quote:
Yeah - the Panthers should have known that guys like Mezei had a penchant for blocking the puck with parts of their body that would shatter from the impact.

Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 10:50 AM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
I agree! McCabe on average misses 5 games a year, that's hardly injury prone. Olesz had a concussion before drafted and that's it, I guess JM should have known that his concussion would have led to broken bones in the future ??

Rattrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 11:17 AM
StrangeVision
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 117
Quote:
The Panthers just forgot to use their time machine to look into the future and see if the players were going to be injury prone. The team dropped the ball.

StrangeVision is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 11:23 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeVision View Post
The Panthers just forgot to use their time machine to look into the future and see if the players were going to be injury prone. The team dropped the ball.

I KNEW those really existed, but it probably isnt in the budget. I mean c'mon, look at our jumbotron.

Old
12-02-2008, 01:33 PM
JonathanHuberdoh
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
We honestly just have the ********* luck. I go back to the Indian Burial Ground under the BAC. We need some sort of seance at center ice.

And the training staff needs to go. They might not be making it worse, but they sure are NOT making it better.

JonathanHuberdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 02:24 PM
PanthersRule96

Obviously you can't tell who is injury prone. People were afraid to pick Olesz because he got so destroyed by Phaneuf. Weiss was smaller. When you pick a smaller, more frail player, you're more likely to see them get injured.

My point was more that we KNOW that most of these guys will get hurt over the course of the season so we should be better prepared for it. How many years has it happened? You need to expect it and be ready for it. Fortunately our defense was "stacked" in the preseason, so now we're not as screwed as we would have been. Our offense though should have seen this coming. A small guy like Weiss won't hold up over the course of a year going up against the massive, top line centers that the other teams posess.

Old
12-02-2008, 03:38 PM
zeroG

Quote:
Obviously you can't tell who is injury prone. People were afraid to pick Olesz because he got so destroyed by Phaneuf. Weiss was smaller. When you pick a smaller, more frail player, you're more likely to see them get injured.

My point was more that we KNOW that most of these guys will get hurt over the course of the season so we should be better prepared for it. How many years has it happened? You need to expect it and be ready for it. Fortunately our defense was "stacked" in the preseason, so now we're not as screwed as we would have been. Our offense though should have seen this coming. A small guy like Weiss won't hold up over the course of a year going up against the massive, top line centers that the other teams posess.
...poor rationalizations on top of a poor initial post. the panthers simply do not have depth up front. that is no secret.

Old
12-02-2008, 04:05 PM
Pukboy5kroner

Quote:
...poor rationalizations on top of a poor initial post. the panthers simply do not have depth up front. that is no secret.
Poor critique of a set of poor rationalizations of a poor initial post. See what I did there? I added nothing.

Saying the Panthers do not have depth up front is just agreeing with his assertion that the team was not prepared for injuries at forward.

Pukboy5kroner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 04:29 PM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pukboy5kroner View Post
Poor critique of a set of poor rationalizations of a poor initial post. See what I did there? I added nothing.

Saying the Panthers do not have depth up front is just agreeing with his assertion that the team was not prepared for injuries at forward.
JM, deboer and all of the fans already knew we were thin. this is the flip side of the coin spent on D this offseason. you can argue about the merits of the approach but it is what it is; it has nothing to do with drafting injury-prone 16 year olds or the fact that our players are too small and fragile to compete against the rest of the league. that's nonsense. the poster seemed to realize as much when half the board laughed in response and so retreated from the original point to say that we should have been prepared, like we were on defense. ok, so retool depth across the entire roster in one off-season? yeah, right.

anyhow, we've wasted way more time than was merited on this now

Old
12-02-2008, 07:30 PM
PanthersRule96

Quote:
JM, deboer and all of the fans already knew we were thin. this is the flip side of the coin spent on D this offseason. you can argue about the merits of the approach but it is what it is; it has nothing to do with drafting injury-prone 16 year olds or the fact that our players are too small and fragile to compete against the rest of the league. that's nonsense. the poster seemed to realize as much when half the board laughed in response and so retreated from the original point to say that we should have been prepared, like we were on defense. ok, so retool depth across the entire roster in one off-season? yeah, right.

God forbid I get laughed at on a message board....
When did I ever talk about drafting "injury prone 16 year olds." Obviously you can't get drafted until you're 18 years old. My point was that when we have so many problems with injuries, it's probably not the best idea to trade for or draft small, frail players with injury histories. It's not that we've really been able to know (aside from Olesz) about too many players though, but we did acquire some injury prone guys in the past. Also, any smaller guys built like Weiss are going to get hurt and not be able to sustain good health over the course of a whole season. It's really not physiologically possible.
I didn't retread too much from the original post because my point is we know we have these issues so why don't we find a way to deal with them? Obviously the draft is a crapshoot and it's very hard to know, but via trades and free agency, we should be well aware that certain players tend to be injured more than others. Yes, many are freak accidents, but you have to be prepared. Just because we signed or traded for some defensman does NOT give JM a free pass to ignore the forwards' situation.

Old
12-03-2008, 06:21 AM
Mogo
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 813
Maybe we should change the medical staff or something?

Mogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 09:39 AM
KW

Quote:

Maybe you're not trying to say this but it sure reads like you think teams don't consider at all whether a player they're drafting might be injury prone or unable to stay free of injuries due to size/fragility.

Of course, that kind of statement is, as you so eloquently stated, "nonsense".

KW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 10:04 AM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWGoon View Post
Maybe you're not trying to say this but it sure reads like you think teams don't consider at all whether a player they're drafting might be injury prone or unable to stay free of injuries due to size/fragility.

no, that's not at all what i'm saying. read the original poster's message again, please.

Old
12-03-2008, 10:06 AM
Pukboy5kroner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWGoon View Post

I just love how easily people think they rebuke an idea or theory by throwing one word at it: That's bunk, nonsense, poor, etc. If someone really thinks an idea is so poor, or such nonsense, you'd think it would be easy for them to back it up with a sentence or two, at the least, to prove why the original statement was nonsense. Instead, such posters spend more time explaining why they don't feel the need to discuss the issue than actually backing up the eloquence.

I'd hope a team analyzes how healthy a player might be, and more to the point, how he will handle the physical stress of playing in the NHL, before drafting him. A lot of injuries are freak occurances, but certain players tend to miss a handful of games each year with nagging injuries.

As for the lack of depth at forward, JM seems to have gone into the season relying on AHL call-ups as needed, which seems to be working for now.

I think PR96 had a good point. Who here thought Murphy would hold up for a full season? Singing veterans like McCabe, Zednik, Stillman is great, the team needs them, but one has to expect an older athlete to miss some games due to injury.

Last edited by Pukboy5kroner: 12-03-2008 at 10:14 AM.
Pukboy5kroner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 12:36 PM
Pantherfan12

Now,everyone is right about this team being injury prone,but look at the injuries we have as of right now.
Booth-a MINOR shoulder injury,not serious at all,maybe miss another game or two.
Horton-A cut to his foot/ankle area, which was a freak insident,nothing major,just needs it to heal up a bit before playing.should return either Thurs. or Sat.
Stillman-Concussion from a player falling on him and slammed his face on the ice. Should return soon, but not season-ending.
Allen-Major knee surgery,but this was an on-going problem he's had which he thought was fixed during off season.
Zednik-Elbow injury, no real news on the extent of the injury.

So, out of the 5 I listed, Booth,Horton,and Stillman should be back in the lineup shortly. If not by tomorrow night,possibly Sat. night , if not next week. So it leaves Zednik out for whatever time period,and we know Allen is out indefinately, not the end of the world honestly in the Injury dept.

Oh yeah, there is Murphy,his mysterious shoulder issue, but you know what, other than the beginning of last season,when he was useful,he hasn't proved much on this team anyways and I think a bigger Cullimore is useful on the blueline then Murphy. McCabe and Ballard are great on the PP, so we really aren't missing much without Murphy.

Pantherfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 06:07 AM
Mogo
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 813
Add Olesz to the list

Who on earth are we gonna call up?

Mogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 07:32 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

All four should be back by next weekend, so Im curious to know who sits, goes down to Rochester.

Im thinking:

Booth - Weiss - Frolik
Stillman - Kreps - Horton
CPR Line
Zednik - McLean - Olesz/Tanarksy/Stewart

Old
12-06-2008, 09:13 AM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogo View Post
Add Olesz to the list

Who on earth are we gonna call up?
olesz? i haven't heard anything about him being out. was/is he not at the morning skate? nothing on GR's blog.

there are guys to bring up. meyer played ok last year in his few games. not sure if he's healthy right now. brine played very well here.

Old
12-06-2008, 09:47 AM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

vCash: 835
Quote:
olesz? i haven't heard anything about him being out. was/is he not at the morning skate? nothing on GR's blog.
Courtesy of MiamiHerald

Quote:
Left wing Rostislav Olesz did not practice Friday with the Panthers at Incredible Ice Arena in Coral Springs.

Olesz has a groin injury and his availability for Saturday's game against Boston will be a game-time decision.

''He's got a little bit of a groin [injury],'' coach Pete DeBoer, of Olesz. ``It was a precautionary [Friday] and we'll see how it is [Saturday] morning.''

DeBoer added the Panthers might bring someone up from the minors if Olesz can't go.
http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/ho...ry/801802.html

-ghoste

Ghoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 10:13 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Does anyone have any news on Horton's situation ?!?!?

Thanks

DEVILS ALL THE WAY* is offline   Reply With Quote