HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Anyone else getting the feeling that Higgins will be moved?

Old
12-02-2008, 10:37 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habdynasty View Post
I heard sergei enjoyed the popcorn tonight
He probably picked a fight with the popcorn dude for not giving him enough synthetic butter, and then took a 2 minute penalty for slashing him.

Sined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 10:49 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika Kostitsyn View Post
Christopher Higgins is nothing more than a 3rd liner, just face it people !! His stone hands are his trademark and this guy isn't going to win you anything !! Hard worker ?! Kind of player teams win championship with ?! 35 goals scorer ?!

Give me a break !! This guy ain't gonna win you anything !! We barely notice him on the ice and we do, it's because he missed an empty, faned on a shot, lose puck while trying to dangle or shoot the puck on the goalie's chest !! He's floating around 70% of time and still continuously play with the best players on the team and still be invisble !!

I said it 3 years ago and people laughed at me. Now who's laughing huh ?!

Bob, I beg you, ship this guy out of this town while he still have some value... if not any...

What's more annoying than your idiotic opinion is your "teach" smilie at the end of your idiotic opinion.

Now who's laughing, huh? Everyone, and they are laughing at you.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 10:54 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyhabs87 View Post
if higgins gets traded it has nothing to do with d'agostini. probably because we realized he is not as good as we thought and hopefully his value is still high.

its beyond me why this guy even plays...i dont even notice him at all. its funny that latendresse gets benched and he is prolly the last player i would defend but at least i notice lats when he plays. lats was waaay more effective than higgins with koivu.

also interesting to me how there are several guys on this team that need to play with koivu to have success. is there really one player that needs to play with kovy to be effective?
Bull crap! If Lats is so effective, why didn't he play? Did he need his beauty rest? Open your eyes. d'Agostini showed the fatter, slower man up. He can cycle, get to the goal, and also get back. With Lang so slow and Kovalev not covering up for him, the Habs can't afford not to have Higgins's skating. I'd be very unhappy if the Habs kept Lats over Higgins. Lats isn't worth it.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 11:00 PM
Teufelsdreck

EK's hearthrob plays like a minor leaguer. Could be a crush on the wrong Kostitsyn. The lesser brother's brain seems to be miswired. Who knows, he may turn into another Sean Avery.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 11:12 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyhabs87 View Post
its beyond me why this guy even plays...i dont even notice him at all.
That has more to do with you than it has to do with Higgins.

When CH is playing, the puck stays at the right end of the ice. He does all the little things right, is strong on the boards, quick on the forecheck, cuts off passing lanes, keeps the puck moving forward. He has good chemistry with all the Habs centers. Carbo counts on Higgins against some of the league's superstars, and on defensive zone faceoffs. He gets played in tough situations, and still comes up with positive results. The idea that a rookie sniper makes him redundant - I'll just say I'm glad Gainey would not agree with that kind of thinking.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 11:30 PM
HockeyF3ind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
He was more visible than Sergei tonight.

HockeyF3ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 11:40 PM
HABsurde

Moving Higgins? humm

habs record with Chris in the line-up = 9-6-3, not bad

habs record with Chris out of the line-up = 5-0-1, better

so, what shall we do.....

HABsurde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 11:51 PM
kernkraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABsurde View Post
Moving Higgins? humm

Correlation is not necessarily causation

kernkraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 11:52 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl the habs fan View Post
What's more annoying than your idiotic opinion is your "teach" smilie at the end of your idiotic opinion.

Now who's laughing, huh? Everyone, and they are laughing at you.
I'm not even laughing anymore. I actually pity her now. I wonder if she even manages to operate an ATM, let alone a BOB. That last one might explain her frustrations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Bull crap! If Lats is so effective, why didn't he play? Did he need his beauty rest? Open your eyes. d'Agostini showed the fatter, slower man up. He can cycle, get to the goal, and also get back. With Lang so slow and Kovalev not covering up for him, the Habs can't afford not to have Higgins's skating. I'd be very unhappy if the Habs kept Lats over Higgins. Lats isn't worth it.
Totally agree. If anything, a second Higgins, a right handed one, is good for the team. Let's keep both. And let's still be patient with Lats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post

When CH is playing, the puck stays at the right end of the ice. He does all the little things right, is strong on the boards, quick on the forecheck, cuts off passing lanes, keeps the puck moving forward. He has good chemistry with all the Habs centers. Carbo counts on Higgins against some of the league's superstars, and on defensive zone faceoffs. He gets played in tough situations, and still comes up with positive results. The idea that a rookie sniper makes him redundant - I'll just say I'm glad Gainey would not agree with that kind of thinking.
Me too. I thank God that Gainey and Carbo both have a properly functioning brain and see what he is as a player. He doens't wear a A on his jersey for nothing either.

Quote:
Moving Higgins? humm

Uhm, Habs record with Chris Higgins last year = 47-25-10

Any questions??

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 12:11 AM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Moving Higgins? humm

habs record when plekanec was on the ice at 2;33 in the first period : 0-6-3

habs record when pekanec wasnt on the ice at 2:33 in the 1rst period? : 14-0-0

habs record with lang's mullet : 14-6-3.

Habs record when both obyrne and brisebois are in the lineup? (that I'd like to know, really. )

higgins with kovy and lang could be good... lets give it a try at least ...

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 12:19 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 1100
Quote:
Moving Higgins? humm

no ****, the first 6 games the team actually played well. It has nothing to do with higgins.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 12:25 AM
Marc-E-

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstar436 View Post
higgins will get 4 million ( look ryder )
If he gets moved it will be in the summer because that will affect komi signing
I like the guy and I think he should be on the 2nd line LW, put him with pleks. He will only be moved once pacioretty makes the NHL and fully established.
Scuse me, but Ryder had two season of 30 goals under his belt...and Higgins didn't prove anything to worth more than 2 to 2.5 millions for a year. For me, I offer him a contract for only a year next year

Marc-E- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 12:25 AM
LyricalLyricist

I don't feel he will be moved. He's a young veteran on this team.

Players who may leave this off season:

Boullion
Dandenault
Kosto
Begin
Brisebois

Top UFAs

Lang
Kovalev
Koivu
Tanguay
Komisarek

RFAs

Latendresse
Chipchura
Higgins
Plekanec

So, with all this change, lets trade a player who wants to be part of montreal? Honestly with the following who will prob leave:

Boullion
Dandenault
Kosto
Begin
Brisebois
Kovalev
Lang

Why would you trade a low cap hit two-way forward with leadership qualities? We need him here.

Personally, I would rather trade someone we don't plan on resigning, this way we don't lose anything really.

Old
12-03-2008, 12:26 AM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernkraft View Post
Correlation is not necessarily causation
Next this guy will tell us about a correlation between sexual assault and revealing clothing.

Sined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 12:47 AM
emb24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I don't feel he will be moved. He's a young veteran on this team.

Players who may leave this off season:

Boullion
Dandenault
Kosto
Begin
Brisebois

Top UFAs

Lang
Kovalev
Koivu
Tanguay
Komisarek

RFAs

Latendresse
Chipchura
Higgins
Plekanec

So, with all this change, lets trade a player who wants to be part of montreal? Honestly with the following who will prob leave:

Boullion
Dandenault
Kosto
Begin
Brisebois
Kovalev
Lang

Why would you trade a low cap hit two-way forward with leadership qualities? We need him here.

Personally, I would rather trade someone we don't plan on resigning, this way we don't lose anything really.
wow hey this post makes too much sense for this thread

emb24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 12:58 AM
holyhabs87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post

im glad you are happy with a player getting 1st line ice time and pp time doing all the little things. i expect just a little more. ya he scored 27 last year but with all the chances he missed he should have had 50. his 27 were the type where u look at the stat sheet at the end of the year and think to yourself..wtf?? he scored 27. we used to joke about ryder and how he scored the 30 most useless goals a year and never knew how he did it. well we got another one. (just speaking about the stats here, not comparing the players)

i can still remember the wide open net on the pp vs philly in the playoffs off a pass from sergei where he didnt even hit the net.

my problem with him is all the things you praised him for would make a heck of a 3rd liner wouldnt it? in that role i would have no problem with him. perhaps it is the poor mangement of our players.

they should know a guy like lats is useless unless used with koivu. therefore play guy on the top line or even 2nd. if not get rid of him. he has no place on 3rd or 4th lines. he isnt fast enough, hes not a checker etc. a guy like sergei whose call up last year was considerd to be a major turning point last year, having such success with koivu gets demoted to the 3rd line in the off-season. its funny he got 3 pts on the pp playing with tanguay and koivu.

if we were to trade higgins it would IMO be for an impact player in a package deal which i would gladly take. his loss would NOT be felt on this team. he does not make significant contributions to this team on a game by game basis. he has a graet game or 2 then disappears. he has already ben replaced by tanguay with koivu and even d'ago has come up and played very well.

i would welcome a trade for higgins if we get a solid return. what was the trade we were about to make with atlanta on trade deadline last year? apparently gainey is open to trading higgins it seems.

holyhabs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 01:01 AM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

vCash: 1744
So what?! D'Agostini scored one goal! Higgins is a keeper, he's not going anywhere. I'd move a number of other guys before I'd consider moving Higgins.

The Gal Pals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 01:01 AM
holyhabs87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc-E- View Post
Scuse me, but Ryder had two season of 30 goals under his belt...and Higgins didn't prove anything to worth more than 2 to 2.5 millions for a year. For me, I offer him a contract for only a year next year
umm..ryder only played on one side of the ice.

higgins is a pretty good two way player who can offer a team a lot more than ryder.

holyhabs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 01:06 AM
Donkeyz

Higgins is staying in MTL.

Donkeyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 01:12 AM
Rayne*

Erika's nothing but a Sergei-loving puckbunny. Nothing she says ever has any sort of merit, so I'd just ignore her.

Higgins could be moved, but if he is, I'd want someone like Gilbert from Edmonton coming back the other way.

Tanguay-Koivu-A. Kostitsyn
Latendresse-Plekanec-Kovalev
S. Kostitsyn-Lang-D'Agostini
Kostopoulos-Lapierre-Laraque/Begin

Markov-Komisarek
Hamrlik-Gilbert
Bouillon-Gorges
O'Byrne

Rayne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 01:28 AM
bib
#believe

I'm just curious. Is there a reason why Erika hasn't been charged with trolling yet? It's clear that she is no fan of this team, only a certain player, and every post of hers is for the sole purpose of criticizing Higgins. Now I don't mind being critical of players, but only when they are deserving of it and only on the occasion. She seems to post for the sole purpose of causing dispute.

bib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 01:31 AM
LyricalLyricist

Higgins is a player that can be added to any line, he does not have the talent of an elite player, but at a potential bargain price, why argue?

I'll list a few players who made 28-30 goals last year(higher than higgins but in his range), their point totals, +- and how much they currently count against the cap:

Daymond Langkow 30G,35A,65P,+16
4.5 Million
Joe Thornton 29G,67A,96P,+18
7.2 Million
Daniel Sedin 29G, 45A,74P,+6
3.575 Million(likely to increase)
Jean-Pierre Dumont 29G 43A 72P, +5
4 Million
Tomas Plekanec 29G, 40A, 69P,+15
1.6 Million
Marian Hossa, 29G, 37A, 66P,-14
7.45 Million
Milan Hejduk, 29G, 25A, 54P, +8
3.9 Million
Mike Knuble, 29G, 26A, 55P, -3
2.8 Million
Corey Perry 29G 25A 54P, +12
5.325 Million
Jeff Carter 29G 24A 53P, +6
5 Million
Shane Doan 28G 50A 78P, +4
4.55 Million
Mike Richards 28G 47A 75P, +14
5.75 Million
Jason Arnott 28G 44A 72P, +19
4.5 Million

Chris Higgins, 27G, 25A, 52P, 0
1.7 Million

Higgins isn't as good as a lot of those guys, but you can bet he won't get in the 4 mil range like some of these guys do. Yes, a few of those guys are young and improving, so I'll give you that but at same time, those guys had 1st line prominent roles. Only 2 guys(to my knowledge) who didn't have a 1st line role on that list last year was Jeff Carter and Higgins. The rest are expected to be key contributers to their team and made similar goal totals and quite a few similar point totals to our 2nd line(majority of the time) player who will prob get 1/2 or a 1/3 of what they do.

Last edited by LyricalLyricist: 12-03-2008 at 01:45 AM.
Old
12-03-2008, 05:45 AM
Montrealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalery View Post
I'm just curious. Is there a reason why Erika hasn't been charged with trolling yet? It's clear that she is no fan of this team, only a certain player, and every post of hers is for the sole purpose of criticizing Higgins. Now I don't mind being critical of players, but only when they are deserving of it and only on the occasion. She seems to post for the sole purpose of causing dispute.
I've reported her several times for reusing the same smilie in 100% of her posts, which to me falls under the definition of trolling (evoking negative emotions in other users of the board for no reason other than the act itself - unless someone thinks that all of her posts really teach something), but they ignore me.

Montrealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 06:37 AM
HotPie

Whoever says Higgins is invisible clearly aren't really watching the games, or the only thing they notice on the ice is when someone scores a goal.

Higgins has been hustling, he's been great defensively, and he's been creating and putting himself in scoring chances. Yeah he fans on shots more than we'd like, and I think we've all come to the realization that Higgins won't be anything more than a 30 goal scorer that has to work incredibly hard to get those 30 goals, but he provides a lot to this team.

Whenever there's an important defensive zone faceoff, who does Carbo put on the ice? Higgins. He's probably one of our best defensive forwards and the fact that Carbo trusts him in all those key defensive situations says a lot.

I was disappointed with Higgins a bit last season because not only were his offensive numbers not how we expected them to be, but more importantly his work effort wasn't there. I can't say the same this season.

HotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 07:14 AM
Samuelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea View Post
Stone hands?? He has quick hands, just too quick for his brain at time..
The irony of what you said is that Higgins was at Yale...

Samuelson is offline   Reply With Quote