HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Johnny Oduya

Old
12-02-2008, 08:24 PM
Crimson Devil*

vCash: 500
Johnny Oduya

Nobody seems to be putting a whole lot of thought into this. He's in the last year of his deal, and he's going to be getting a gigantic pay raise from his current modest $600,000 salary hit. I know Holik's only a one year rental, and we could probably use his 2.5M that frees up to extend Oduya (even though I think he'll get more than 3M), but right now I'm more interested in what we can get in return for him.

For doubters, Oduya had 26 points and was +27 (eighth best in the league) in 75 games last season. A +27 on a lowly team like the Devils that are the epitome of one goal wins. Not bad.

He currently has stacked 11 points (1 goal, 10 assists) and +7 in 22 games this season. He's not the best defenseman in the world, but his talent and potential are overwhelming.

Let's see what he could fetch.

Crimson Devil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 08:25 PM
Classic Devil
Moderator Emeritus

Awards:
Why would the Devils trade him? He's currently our #2 defenseman and actually playing up to the role.

Classic Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 08:26 PM
Crimson Devil*

Salvador is our #2 defenseman. Oduya is being utilized on the poor second-pairing. I don't see them giving him up, but if the right offer comes... it's not like he's an "untouchable".

For example, if Oduya was a part of a package (along with a forward) that netted us Jay Bouw or someone of that calibre, I would not hesitant.

Old
12-02-2008, 08:31 PM
Classic Devil
Moderator Emeritus

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Confusious View Post
Salvador is our #2 defenseman. Oduya is being utilized on the poor second-pairing. I don't see them giving him up, but if the right offer comes... it's not like he's an "untouchable".

For example, if Oduya was a part of a package (along with a forward) that netted us Jay Bouw or someone of that calibre, I would not hesitant.
Of course not, he's also an impending UFA...

Classic Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 08:37 PM
Crimson Devil*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Devil View Post
Of course not, he's also an impending UFA...
Which is apart of the reason why I'd like to see what we could get for him. Who knows if he really likes our system or not. He obviously has to give us credit for turning him into the guy that he is, but it's not like he owes us and has to re-sign with us. He's making poor money and I would be stunned if he took less money than he was worth just to stay with this team (I mean, not many guys are Marty Brodeur genuine at heart.)

Old
12-03-2008, 08:13 AM
flannelman
merde!

vCash: 195
I'd keep him- this guy, I recall, got a lot of flack from some of the Devs posters last year about this time (if I am remembering correctly) but he turned his play around and in the second half of the season was arguably your top 2 guy. If Lou locks him up in early january, I think that's the best bet... unless NJ really has an eye for a bg time d-man this summer, and they need all the cap space they can, I don't see why Oduya should be moved.

just my .02

flannelman is offline   Reply With Quote