HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Senators Prospect Updates 2008-2009

Closed Thread

Old
12-01-2008, 09:15 PM
Bobby Blowhard

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatley in here View Post
The AHL site says Karlsson is 228 already
http://stats.theahl.com/stats/player.php?id=2093
big lad! thought he was around 215

Old
12-02-2008, 02:59 PM
KRM

Karlsson was back with Frölunda today, he scored one goal but thanks to a slovak exchange referee it was somehow disallowed...

Karlsson goal @ 1:16 http://tv.hockeyligan.se/main.aspx?c...d=667608314881

Old
12-02-2008, 03:04 PM
KingKarlsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krm500 View Post
Karlsson was back with Frölunda today, he scored one goal but thanks to a slovak exchange referee it was somehow disallowed...

He's 65, correct? It's good to see him creating chances and scoring like that, was he playing better or getting more icetime after coming back from Allsvenskan?

Old
12-02-2008, 03:54 PM
Xspyrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krm500 View Post

OH? He's a good fit with the Ottawa Senators then...

Old
12-02-2008, 07:06 PM
puck swami

I have also watched Wiercioch all year so far here in Denver. He is still filling out physically, but skill -wise he's already the best Denver defenseman as a freshman (very rare) on our team of 18-24 year olds that is among the top 10 teams in NCAA Hockey.

Wiercioch has great offensive instincts, sees the ice well, has a devastating heavy and accurate shot, and knows how to read the play coming at him remarkably well vs the older and stronger players he's facing. Normally he plays in all situations including PP and PK when he's not hurting. He's a good skater, too, and with some more coaching, could probably be a great skater. Coachable kid, too. He will need more time to fill out and get stronger, and the NCAA route is a great route for that body type, since you only play games on weekends, and have more much time for workouts and practices during the week vs Major Junior where you are playing four games a week and don't have as much conditioning time. We'd love to have him for another year, but I would not be surprised if he jumps after this season.

Old
12-02-2008, 07:06 PM
KRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKarlsson View Post
He's 65, correct? It's good to see him creating chances and scoring like that, was he playing better or getting more icetime after coming back from Allsvenskan?
Yea, Karlsson is #65. After attacking the net he gets into a pushing war with three Luleå players for about half a minute. Don't know how he played really, I missed half the game due to work, came in just as Karlsson scored. But reports I've read says that Karlsson has been very good in Allsvenskan.

Btw, notice how Frölunda got two goals disallowed, both by the slovak referee, and both should have been goals.... During the game the Swedish ref and the slovak talked for minutes about who knows what while players stood ready for faceoffs. The SEL is not a league for foreign refs to learn how hockey is played...

Old
12-02-2008, 07:32 PM
KingKarlsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck swami View Post
I have also watched Wiercioch all year so far here in Denver. He is still filling out physically, but skill -wise he's already the best Denver defenseman as a freshman (very rare) on our team of 18-24 year olds that is among the top 10 teams in NCAA Hockey.

Wiercioch has great offensive instincts, sees the ice well, has a devastating heavy and accurate shot, and knows how to read the play coming at him remarkably well vs the older and stronger players he's facing. Normally he plays in all situations including PP and PK when he's not hurting. He's a good skater, too, and with some more coaching, could probably be a great skater. Coachable kid, too. He will need more time to fill out and get stronger, and the NCAA route is a great route for that body type, since you only play games on weekends, and have more much time for workouts and practices during the week vs Major Junior where you are playing four games a week and don't have as much conditioning time. We'd love to have him for another year, but I would not be surprised if he jumps after this season.
Personally, I think he's better served with another year in the NCAA before making the jump, but I'm not sure if that will be the case. Ottawa's got a need that Wiercioch seems to fill very well so you could see him in Ottawa sooner rather than later. Just a question though, are there many key Denver players that will be graduating or moving on to the next level after this year? Is Denver going to remain a top-10 team next year as well?

Old
12-02-2008, 08:42 PM
RTWAP*

Quote:
Personally, I think he's better served with another year in the NCAA before making the jump, but I'm not sure if that will be the case. Ottawa's got a need that Wiercioch seems to fill very well so you could see him in Ottawa sooner rather than later. Just a question though, are there many key Denver players that will be graduating or moving on to the next level after this year? Is Denver going to remain a top-10 team next year as well?
I got the sense from Tim Murray's comment about seeing where he fits after this season that the Sens might attempt to sign him and give him a year in the AHL for seasoning. That would be a definite sign that they are very high on him.

Old
12-02-2008, 09:49 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
obviously no-one knows what the sens plans are for him, but IMO wiercioch should stay in NCAA next year. Once the season is over, he can sign a pro contract and go to the ahl. I dont see the benefit of him playing in the AHL all year next year, especially if karlsson comes over too.

Old
12-02-2008, 10:35 PM
tyler_sens

Man, I really hope Caporusso makes the sens one day. Just watching this highlight:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mkkpcEp2_4

I can't help but picture him scoring an OT winner in the playoffs. Hes becoming quite the sniper in the NCAA this year.

Old
12-02-2008, 10:51 PM
Xspyrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck swami View Post

Thx you for the report, very nice to hear... I wonder how he will be graded by HF next time... I wonder what is his maximum upside...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler_sens View Post
Man, I really hope Caporusso makes the sens one day. Just watching this highlight:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mkkpcEp2_4

I can't help but picture him scoring an OT winner in the playoffs. Hes becoming quite the sniper in the NCAA this year.
I watched him play a game couple weeks ago, he was also good defensively and saved a goal.

Old
12-03-2008, 09:04 AM
zenator

How do you pronounce "Wiercioch" ?

I'm pretty sure it's not "wire caulk" (cousin of dick weed).

It looks like a non first round pick might become a star for us for the first time in forever. Was Alfie the last one ?

It's rare to even get a solid player after round 1 for the Sens. One of the many reasons Muckler was fired (after Chara and Havlat fiascos).

Old
12-03-2008, 10:06 AM
Hossa

Wiercioch gets the invite to Canada's selection camp. Caporusso gets left out.

As for 67s, Cuma gets the call, Couture left out.

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/index.php...95/la_id/1.htm

Old
12-03-2008, 10:19 AM
KingKarlsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossa View Post
Wiercioch gets the invite to Canada's selection camp. Caporusso gets left out.

As for 67s, Cuma gets the call, Couture left out.

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/index.php...95/la_id/1.htm
I'm happy that Wiercioch has garnered so much positive attention for his play and is being recognized for it. I think he's going to have to have a great camp to really make the team, even as a seventh defenceman. I imagine Pietrangelo, Hickey, Teubert, Subban and Myers should make it, and Ellis is tearing up the OHL as a 17 year old so there's a good chance he makes the team as well.

On Caporusso, despite the great year he's having, I'm not all that surprised on him not being named. I saw a red/white game from the summer camp at U of O where he was placed on the top line of his team with Tavares and Turris (IIRC, if not it was definitely another elite prospect) and unfortunately, he wasn't that impressive. I really hope he succeeds but I'm not all that surprised, just from what I saw from him at the camp.

Of course, that was just my opinion from seeing him at the camp and I just think that maybe his performance at the camp has overshadowed what is a strong start to the year for him.

Old
12-03-2008, 10:23 AM
Hossa

Quote:
I'm happy that Wiercioch has garnered so much positive attention for his play and is being recognized for it. I think he's going to have to have a great camp to really make the team, even as a seventh defenceman. I imagine Pietrangelo, Hickey, Teubert, Subban and Myers should make it, and Ellis is tearing up the OHL as a 17 year old so there's a good chance he makes the team as well.

On Caporusso, despite the great year he's having, I'm not all that surprised on him not being named. I saw a red/white game from the summer camp at U of O where he was placed on the top line of his team with Tavares and Turris (IIRC, if not it was definitely another elite prospect) and unfortunately, he wasn't that impressive. I really hope he succeeds but I'm not all that surprised, just from what I saw from him at the camp.
On the blueline, Myers isn't a lock, although he is likely. I think Cuma is equally likely to make it. I think the five you mentioned, plus Cuma, are in good shape, it's the seventh position that is most up for grabs. Ellis is tearing it up but isn't a guarantee. Thankfully Wiercioch is eligible next year.

Old
12-03-2008, 10:27 AM
KingKarlsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossa View Post
On the blueline, Myers isn't a lock, although he is likely. I think Cuma is equally likely to make it. I think the five you mentioned, plus Cuma, are in good shape, it's the seventh position that is most up for grabs. Ellis is tearing it up but isn't a guarantee. Thankfully Wiercioch is eligible next year.
Yeah, I have no real idea about Hockey Canada's opinion on all these players, I'm just going from what I've heard/stats/draft positions that are somewhat useless anyways. I'm really hope Wiercioch can make it as that seventh defenceman because the experience is always good for those players, even if they don't play that well. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but some former 7th defencemen were key parts of the blueline the following year (Barker, Alzner and Subban's having a good year).

Old
12-03-2008, 11:00 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
i guess hockey canada made their decision on caps in the summer dev camp, when he was far for impressive. I was hoping he would be invited again, but didnt really expect him to make the team.

Wiercioch is interesting. Because of the hype building around him and his stellar play in denver, he deserved the invite. That being said, canada's defence is very deep. It will be very hard for wiercioch to crack it, but its not unthinkable that he makes it if he plays well in camp, others falter, or there is a key injury. I'm still not expecting him to make it this year, but its nice to see him getting the chance. Also, remember that our biggest competition is the swedes and americans this year. Wiercioch now has experience playing against top american players.

Old
12-03-2008, 12:22 PM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Jim O'Brien named to USA WJC Team.

Old
12-03-2008, 12:25 PM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
That's awesome

Old
12-03-2008, 12:29 PM
KingKarlsson

Quote:
A great day for our prospects so far, does anyone know what role O'Brien will play?

Old
12-03-2008, 12:29 PM
BigEyedPhish

We are gonna have 3 players in the world juniors this year?

Did we have ANY last year?

2 on Sweden
1 on USA

GO TEAM SWEDEN/USA

Old
12-03-2008, 12:37 PM
Pancakes Pancakes

vCash: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammitch View Post
We are gonna have 3 players in the world juniors this year?

Did we have ANY last year?

2 on Sweden
1 on USA

GO TEAM SWEDEN/USA
Lets not forget possibly Wiercioch on Canada.

Old
12-03-2008, 01:21 PM
Xspyrit

Quote:
Nice!

Old
12-03-2008, 01:32 PM
M4TR1X
HFB Partner

I am glad there is a topic like this and all of you to update it.

Thank you.

Old
12-03-2008, 01:44 PM
Hossa

Quote:
That's awesome. I really think for a player like O'Brien there is almost no downside to playing at the WJC. It can be a bit of a disappointment for the top prospects if it goes poorly, but this really can only help his game and his confidence.

Closed Thread