HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would you do it? (All Avery talk here)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-03-2008, 09:25 AM
  #76
Camenzuli
Registered User
 
Camenzuli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: London, UK
Country: Norway
Posts: 244
vCash: 500
First of all, no way in hell would I want Avery back with his ridicilous contract and it's never going to happen.

Second of all, the NHL suspending Avery for these comments is probably the most ******** thing I've ever seen. Suspended for slagging off his ex and her new boyfriend? Come on!! If people can't take these comments about people they don't even know how the #### do they manage to live functioning lifes without getting pissed off and hurt in their everyday lifes??

Camenzuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 09:27 AM
  #77
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 24,160
vCash: 500
I'd like an irritating pest type player, but not Avery. He's still too selfish, doesnt play a team game.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 09:36 AM
  #78
dedalus
Registered User
 
dedalus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,215
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
I hated Avery before he became a Ranger, then I was pleasantly surprised when he played here, but I think his ego has taken over. His time in New York convinced him that he's bigger than his team and the league
Agreed. He is his own story now, and from his perspective, that story has nothing to do with Sean Avery as an NHLer. It has to with "Sean Avery: iconic bad-boy."

No thanks.


Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
You can't go back
And again: agreed. WHY must so many fans try to deal with the problems of the present by trying to return to the past?

Jagr and Avery are over. Let us move on.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 09:37 AM
  #79
Trxjw
Retired.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 17,611
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus View Post
And again: agreed. WHY must so many fans try to deal with the problems of the present by trying to return to the past?

Jagr and Avery are over. Let us move on.
Because we had no problems scoring goals, or generating offense on the PP when they were here.

..wait for it...

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 09:38 AM
  #80
MikeyLikesHockey
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 603
vCash: 500
I'd sign Shanny before even entertaining the idea of bringing Avery back here.

MikeyLikesHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 09:46 AM
  #81
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie
 
Sad London Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: london england
Posts: 2,455
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
Quote:
Originally Posted by swervedriver82 View Post
You gotta admit, though, "sloppy seconds" isn't exactly a sound choice of words.
carefully chosen words!

you couldn't script this any better in Hollywood! its larger than fiction:

"I'm placing a personal bounty on the head of Sean Avery . He's the winger and chiefpunk on that Dallas team".

hundred bucks of my own money for the first of my men that nails that creep

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 09:47 AM
  #82
Mr Bojanglez
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Mr Bojanglez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: From Jersey w/ Love
Country: United States
Posts: 10,939
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camenzuli View Post
First of all, no way in hell would I want Avery back with his ridicilous contract and it's never going to happen.

Second of all, the NHL suspending Avery for these comments is probably the most ******** thing I've ever seen. Suspended for slagging off his ex and her new boyfriend? Come on!! If people can't take these comments about people they don't even know how the #### do they manage to live functioning lifes without getting pissed off and hurt in their everyday lifes??
I agree to an extent. The thing is, I'm sure Dion didn't care too much. It's the fact that Avery continually takes the NHL and tries to bring it to a circus level. It was completely unnecessary, and irrelevant of hockey. This is hockey. Yes, we allow fights. But for the most part I like to think NHL athletes are different then the other major sports. Trash-talkin' NBA players? Is that what you want? Maybe it is. But a sport that is trying to grow, reachout to children... with an already "bad image" due to the ability to fight, these things don't help and are not necessary.

Normally I would say he shouldn't be suspended... and that a fine should be in order. But $$ doesn't mean that much to these guys... not at least the level you could fine him. 20k? No problem. It's not like you can take away enough of his $$ for him to care. The next step, suspension. It's not like he hasn't been through this before.

That said, I don't mind Roszival too much. I kind of like him as an offensive Dman. As a ranger fan, would I do this trade? I think I would, straight up. As a Dallas fan would I do this? Hell yes! Avery has nobody to keep him in check with Morrow out. They already have Ott. Their signing of Avery, for this long, made no sense to me.

My only concern as a Ranger fan would be the locker room chemistry. It seems like the team really enjoys eachother this year. Not saying they didn't last year, but i at least notice it this year. With the overall success your team has shown early on, why would you mess with it? If, in a month, the team loses 6/8 games and one of your forwards gets injured... maybe I'd consider it more.

Mr Bojanglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 10:12 AM
  #83
Camenzuli
Registered User
 
Camenzuli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: London, UK
Country: Norway
Posts: 244
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyH2O View Post
I agree to an extent. The thing is, I'm sure Dion didn't care too much. It's the fact that Avery continually takes the NHL and tries to bring it to a circus level. It was completely unnecessary, and irrelevant of hockey. This is hockey. Yes, we allow fights. But for the most part I like to think NHL athletes are different then the other major sports. Trash-talkin' NBA players? Is that what you want? Maybe it is. But a sport that is trying to grow, reachout to children... with an already "bad image" due to the ability to fight, these things don't help and are not necessary.

Normally I would say he shouldn't be suspended... and that a fine should be in order. But $$ doesn't mean that much to these guys... not at least the level you could fine him. 20k? No problem. It's not like you can take away enough of his $$ for him to care. The next step, suspension. It's not like he hasn't been through this before..
Do you really believe that the comments of ONE player really hurts the sport that much? People need to get a life and stop crying about every little thing.

The way I see it is no way in hell would I even care to watch Dallas play Calgary but after Avery's comments about Phaneuf I probably would've just to watch Avery get a well deserved beating. Obviously the league ruined that possibility. I agree that a little class is needed but this is ONE player, why does everyone in this league have to be a Saint? That's just freaking boring in my opinion.

I hate the political correctness these days.

Camenzuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 10:31 AM
  #84
Mr Bojanglez
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Mr Bojanglez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: From Jersey w/ Love
Country: United States
Posts: 10,939
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camenzuli View Post
Do you really believe that the comments of ONE player really hurts the sport that much? People need to get a life and stop crying about every little thing.

The way I see it is no way in hell would I even care to watch Dallas play Calgary but after Avery's comments about Phaneuf I probably would've just to watch Avery get a well deserved beating. Obviously the league ruined that possibility. I agree that a little class is needed but this is ONE player, why does everyone in this league have to be a Saint? That's just freaking boring in my opinion.

I hate the political correctness these days.
I agree where you're coming from about political correctness. But this isn't opie and anthony, or some comedy show. Hockey is a form of entertainment who's value lies in the sport itself.

I dunno, maybe they did go overboard. But maybe they are trying to set a precedence. If this is allowed, then what is allowed for the future? Plenty of guys share women in the NHL, or in other sports like baseball (see Alyssa Milano). You don't hear them barking out stuff like that.

I'm not offended by it, it just didn't seem necessary. Avery could have made headlines for that game in otherways. Or at least not refer to his girlfriend as sloppy seconds. Avery is not exactly an eloquent speaker.

Whatever, to each their own buddy. I see your point, and agree to an extent. You don't want to wussify things anymore then they are. What is said on the ice is one thing. Just don't find it necessary to bring it to the public. Next thing you know Avery will talk about eating Curtis Joseph's children.

Mr Bojanglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 10:47 AM
  #85
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 24,160
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyH2O View Post
I agree where you're coming from about political correctness. But this isn't opie and anthony, or some comedy show. Hockey is a form of entertainment who's value lies in the sport itself.

I dunno, maybe they did go overboard. But maybe they are trying to set a precedence. If this is allowed, then what is allowed for the future? Plenty of guys share women in the NHL, or in other sports like baseball (see Alyssa Milano). You don't hear them barking out stuff like that.

I'm not offended by it, it just didn't seem necessary. Avery could have made headlines for that game in otherways. Or at least not refer to his girlfriend as sloppy seconds. Avery is not exactly an eloquent speaker.

Whatever, to each their own buddy. I see your point, and agree to an extent. You don't want to wussify things anymore then they are. What is said on the ice is one thing. Just don't find it necessary to bring it to the public. Next thing you know Avery will talk about eating Curtis Joseph's children.


Thats why he was suspended, it'll set precident then the next thing you know its wrestling time. The NHL has always been against this, as it should be.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 10:58 AM
  #86
Camenzuli
Registered User
 
Camenzuli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: London, UK
Country: Norway
Posts: 244
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyH2O View Post
I agree where you're coming from about political correctness. But this isn't opie and anthony, or some comedy show. Hockey is a form of entertainment who's value lies in the sport itself.

I dunno, maybe they did go overboard. But maybe they are trying to set a precedence. If this is allowed, then what is allowed for the future? Plenty of guys share women in the NHL, or in other sports like baseball (see Alyssa Milano). You don't hear them barking out stuff like that.

I'm not offended by it, it just didn't seem necessary. Avery could have made headlines for that game in otherways. Or at least not refer to his girlfriend as sloppy seconds. Avery is not exactly an eloquent speaker.

Whatever, to each their own buddy. I see your point, and agree to an extent. You don't want to wussify things anymore then they are. What is said on the ice is one thing. Just don't find it necessary to bring it to the public. Next thing you know Avery will talk about eating Curtis Joseph's children.
I agree that trash talking is cringeworthy and there is no need for it in the NHL. You're probably right about the league trying to set a precedence but I'd just wished they'd wait until something that actually warranted a strong reaction happened. The guy was just trying to be funny and it shouldnt be made such a big deal out of it

Camenzuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 11:09 AM
  #87
ThisYearsModel
Registered User
 
ThisYearsModel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 7,557
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyH2O View Post
I agree to an extent. The thing is, I'm sure Dion didn't care too much. It's the fact that Avery continually takes the NHL and tries to bring it to a circus level. It was completely unnecessary, and irrelevant of hockey. This is hockey. Yes, we allow fights. But for the most part I like to think NHL athletes are different then the other major sports. Trash-talkin' NBA players? Is that what you want? Maybe it is. But a sport that is trying to grow, reachout to children... with an already "bad image" due to the ability to fight, these things don't help and are not necessary.

Normally I would say he shouldn't be suspended... and that a fine should be in order. But $$ doesn't mean that much to these guys... not at least the level you could fine him. 20k? No problem. It's not like you can take away enough of his $$ for him to care. The next step, suspension. It's not like he hasn't been through this before.

That said, I don't mind Roszival too much. I kind of like him as an offensive Dman. As a ranger fan, would I do this trade? I think I would, straight up. As a Dallas fan would I do this? Hell yes! Avery has nobody to keep him in check with Morrow out. They already have Ott. Their signing of Avery, for this long, made no sense to me.

My only concern as a Ranger fan would be the locker room chemistry. It seems like the team really enjoys eachother this year. Not saying they didn't last year, but i at least notice it this year. With the overall success your team has shown early on, why would you mess with it? If, in a month, the team loses 6/8 games and one of your forwards gets injured... maybe I'd consider it more.
Without Shanahan on board, the Rangers cannot bring back Avery. Drury doesn't like him, nor do Dubinsky and Valiquette. No way the Rangers upset their locker room by adding Avery.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 12:01 PM
  #88
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck
 
FLYLine24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 32,628
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macke View Post
So jeez, what's that? 12 million bucks for one year?
Pretty much...that will go down as one of there worst moves ever.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 12:10 PM
  #89
Celestial Black
Registered User
 
Celestial Black's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 6,824
vCash: 500
No thanks. I'll pass. However, we will take Lundqvist and Eriksson.

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 12:24 PM
  #90
LiquidClown
Registered User
 
LiquidClown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Huntsville, Al
Country: Germany
Posts: 6,640
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to LiquidClown Send a message via AIM to LiquidClown
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel View Post
Without Shanahan on board, the Rangers cannot bring back Avery. Drury doesn't like him, nor do Dubinsky and Valiquette. No way the Rangers upset their locker room by adding Avery.

That's part of the point I don't think people actually get here. What's more important, a pest who can draw penalties (for a pp unit that can't score) and irk people OR our Captain and a potential future captain?

LiquidClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 12:35 PM
  #91
dedalus
Registered User
 
dedalus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,215
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Because we had no problems scoring goals, or generating offense on the PP when they were here.

..wait for it...
Thank you.

I'll say this. They're not scoring but I like the IDEA of scoring by committee over the previous "everything-through-the-star" mentality they had in the Jagr years.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 12:35 PM
  #92
TheSchwab
Registered User
 
TheSchwab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,080
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to TheSchwab
Prucha for Avery.

What a steal that would be.

TheSchwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 12:45 PM
  #93
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,471
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camenzuli View Post
First of all, no way in hell would I want Avery back with his ridicilous contract and it's never going to happen.

Second of all, the NHL suspending Avery for these comments is probably the most ******** thing I've ever seen. Suspended for slagging off his ex and her new boyfriend? Come on!! If people can't take these comments about people they don't even know how the #### do they manage to live functioning lifes without getting pissed off and hurt in their everyday lifes??
Wow. You're completely missing the point.

You're right, what he said wasn't that big a deal. But the point is, IT SHOULDNT BE SAID AT ALL! Why does it have to be said after the morning skate leading up to the game? He's just making the sport look more like a soap opera than anything else and thats not what the sport needs. He does make this look like some drama show with his antics and honestly I'm glad he was suspended because maybe, at some point, he'll get the message and keep his mouth shut and let his play do the talking. But the problem is, Avery isn't a great hockey player. He has to keep opening his mouth otherwise he would barely be noticed out there on the ice. He's an idiot who cares more about his image hence him getting involved with vogue and doing photo shoots. He needs to grow up and be a man instead of a complaining b****.

Sure I dont think he needed to be suspended, but it seems its always something else with him so he had it coming.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 12:46 PM
  #94
dedalus
Registered User
 
dedalus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,215
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camenzuli View Post
The guy was just trying to be funny and it shouldnt be made such a big deal out of it
The guy also targeted a specific NHL fan. In the international press he called her - for all practical purposes - a wh0re. The fact that the fan in question was an ex-girlfriend should cut no ice with the league, because if it was NOT a girlfriend, if he'd decided to call "wh0re" some other fan at whom he was pissed, the league would suspend him. You don't insult the customer. Simple as that and nothing to do with "political correctness" (whatever that means).

He decided to make this about someone other than a rival player, and you'd better believe THAT'S the reason the league has come down hard.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 12:51 PM
  #95
Davisian
Registered User
 
Davisian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Broomfield, CO
Posts: 6,079
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus View Post
The guy also targeted a specific NHL fan. In the international press he called her - for all practical purposes - a wh0re. The fact that the fan in question was an ex-girlfriend should cut no ice with the league, because if it was NOT a girlfriend, if he'd decided to call "wh0re" some other fan at whom he was pissed, the league would suspend him. You don't insult the customer. Simple as that and nothing to do with "political correctness" (whatever that means).

He decided to make this about someone other than a rival player, and you'd better believe THAT'S the reason the league has come down hard.

That, as well as the league was heading off a more serious incident. They did not want Dion, or some other Flame going Bertuzzi on Avery. And I wouldn't really blame a Flame for doing that.

Davisian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 12:59 PM
  #96
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 16,549
vCash: 500
Salary cap implications aside, I wouldnt take Avery back even if the Stars were asking for nothing in return.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 01:01 PM
  #97
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 14,274
vCash: 500
Sean's always testing the limits. The reasons I would entertain bringing him back is because of the recent Ottawa game for one. Let's call it psy-ops. We use to have a player adept at it and now we don't but Ottawa does. Hate to say it but Mara and a bunch of his teammates acted like idiots in that one. Voros just doesn't do the same.

There are 2 major problems bringing him back 1) his contract and it's not so much the money as the years. I always thought he was best kept on a short leash. 4 years is too long but it's too long for Roszival as well and speaking of other long term contracts Drury's and Reddens are too long too. 2) the internal capability of keeping him from being a distraction on his own team--the Rangers do not have the same leadership--it is more a team by committee in every respect than it has been. It's doubtful how that would play out but----if we're talking about say dumping one player for another we'd save money trading a Roszival and money and years trading a Redden and it would give the team a little extra edge to their game.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 01:19 PM
  #98
Camenzuli
Registered User
 
Camenzuli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: London, UK
Country: Norway
Posts: 244
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
Wow. You're completely missing the point.

You're right, what he said wasn't that big a deal. But the point is, IT SHOULDNT BE SAID AT ALL! Why does it have to be said after the morning skate leading up to the game? He's just making the sport look more like a soap opera than anything else and thats not what the sport needs. He does make this look like some drama show with his antics and honestly I'm glad he was suspended because maybe, at some point, he'll get the message and keep his mouth shut and let his play do the talking. But the problem is, Avery isn't a great hockey player. He has to keep opening his mouth otherwise he would barely be noticed out there on the ice. He's an idiot who cares more about his image hence him getting involved with vogue and doing photo shoots. He needs to grow up and be a man instead of a complaining b****.

Sure I dont think he needed to be suspended, but it seems its always something else with him so he had it coming.
I just dont get it. I dont buy into the argument that he makes the sport look like a soap opera. This is ONE FREAKING GUY! Every popular sport in the world is going to have heroes and villains. Why cant hockey have Sean Avery? I agree that there is a limit and not everything should be tolerated but these comments werent that bad at all in my opinion.

I would have agreed if what he said was racist for example but this was a personal dig at his ex and some players in the league. I'm not saying it was a classy move or anything like that but it's not like the NHL's reputation is bad because of too much "trashtalk" in the media from average players either.

If you believe otherwise fine by me but that doesnt necessarily mean that "I'm missing the point completely" like you said.

Camenzuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 01:25 PM
  #99
Camenzuli
Registered User
 
Camenzuli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: London, UK
Country: Norway
Posts: 244
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus View Post
The guy also targeted a specific NHL fan. In the international press he called her - for all practical purposes - a wh0re. The fact that the fan in question was an ex-girlfriend should cut no ice with the league, because if it was NOT a girlfriend, if he'd decided to call "wh0re" some other fan at whom he was pissed, the league would suspend him. You don't insult the customer. Simple as that and nothing to do with "political correctness" (whatever that means).

He decided to make this about someone other than a rival player, and you'd better believe THAT'S the reason the league has come down hard.
I would have agreed if he had said "wh0re" but that wasnt what he said. If he had called a random fan a ***** it would have been a completely different thing.

Camenzuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 01:29 PM
  #100
Camenzuli
Registered User
 
Camenzuli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: London, UK
Country: Norway
Posts: 244
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisian View Post
That, as well as the league was heading off a more serious incident. They did not want Dion, or some other Flame going Bertuzzi on Avery. And I wouldn't really blame a Flame for doing that.
Wow. You wouldnt blame a guy for breaking someones neck because he referred to their girlfriend as a "sloppy second"? Guess you're off my "people to piss off" list.

Camenzuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:09 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.