HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

NHL suspends avery indefinitely for comments made, pending hearing

Old
12-03-2008, 03:06 PM
GoFlames

vCash: 500
Avery is just such a dumb ***. Must be too many hits to the head or something. I think the suspension is a bit harsh as the only way to dolts like Avery is his pocket book. I am sure the Stars would also love slashing his bloated salary!

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 03:07 PM
Hyde

The NHL can not allow itself to be used as a platform for misogynistic speech.

Throwing around the "sloppy seconds" is offensive to women and and I personally find it upsetting to hear people accept it as truth. Avery is known for saying stuff, with little regard for truth, insinuates this girl is a **** and people are saying, 'Well, it was rumoured she dated one or two hockey players, he must be right. The term is justified.

Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 03:15 PM
GoFlames

I wonder what GB will dish out... wonder if he will treat it like a hit from behind (one that receives punishment that is Anders!)... if he is suspended with all the hype it should be for an extended period. A week or few games would not send the signals. A suspended player is not paid for those dates right?

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 03:26 PM
AndersEriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
The NHL can not allow itself to be used as a platform for misogynistic speech.

Throwing around the "sloppy seconds" is offensive to women and and I personally find it upsetting to hear people accept it as truth. Avery is known for saying stuff, with little regard for truth, insinuates this girl is a **** and people are saying, 'Well, it was rumoured she dated one or two hockey players, he must be right. The term is justified.
Avery is her "sloppy seconds".

Would whatever film company Elisha is working for suspend her if she used the same term about him? No, she would probably be considered a strong role model for young women or something.

AndersEriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 03:32 PM
Snoil11

Send a message via ICQ to Snoil11 Send a message via Yahoo to Snoil11
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndersEriksson View Post

Would whatever film company Elisha is working for suspend her if she used the same term about him? No, she would probably be considered a strong role model for young women or something.
You compare apples to oranges, since the National Hockey League is not part of the film industry. And btw the NHL is also not the government, so all the freedom of speech arguments are of limited value as well.

Snoil11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 03:36 PM
Hyde

Quote:
So he is then justified for his disgusting terminology! Man, I am sick of hearing that kind of thing applied to women.

I know women that have had this kind of thing thrown at them and they never managed to get rid of that reputation, because some jackass thought he was being funny or clever.

Old
12-03-2008, 03:39 PM
puck_08

Quote:

That has nothing to do with anything.

and it isn't really about him using that term.. I bet if he wrote it on his blog he wouldn't be suspended..
it's about representing the NHL. when he says what he said in the pregame interview to all the hockey media, that represents the NHL. That interview time is for hockey, not calling out your ex-girlfriends and their new boyfriends.

puck_08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 03:51 PM
Hyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck_08 View Post
That has nothing to do with anything.

and it isn't really about him using that term.. I bet if he wrote it on his blog he wouldn't be suspended..
it's about representing the NHL. when he says what he said in the pregame interview to all the hockey media, that represents the NHL. That interview time is for hockey, not calling out your ex-girlfriends and their new boyfriends.
I see it this way as well, that it wasn't just what he said (though disgusting we all knew it was going to be said on the ice) but how and where he said it that got him suspended.

You have to take in his history and the potential incidents that could've occured in the game. The league was doing damage control before anything could get out of hand.

Old
12-03-2008, 04:15 PM
Ice Cream Man
$1 Oysters

Something tells me Elisha broke up with Avery, not the other way around.

If that's the case, then Avery using the term 'sloppy seconds' is laughable at best. Sounds like pure jealousy to me.

Ice Cream Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 05:45 PM
Luongo4VP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
So he is then justified for his disgusting terminology! Man, I am sick of hearing that kind of thing applied to women.

I know women that have had this kind of thing thrown at them and they never managed to get rid of that reputation, because some jackass thought he was being funny or clever.
You do know that Avery's remarks were not only slighting Phaneuf, but also Mike Komisarek, since she was his old flame as well.

"The NHL is becoming a common place for other GUYS falling in love with my sloppy seconds" - that was the exact quote.

Notice how I signified GUYS, which is clearly showing that his comments were targeted at his fellow hockey players?

Luongo4VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 05:59 PM
Ticonderoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luongo4VP View Post
You do know that Avery's remarks were not only slighting Phaneuf, but also Mike Komisarek, since she was his old flame as well.

"The NHL is becoming a common place for other GUYS falling in love with my sloppy seconds" - that was the exact quote.

Notice how I signified GUYS, which is clearly showing that his comments were targeted at his fellow hockey players?
We know, still his remarks were unfounded and inappropriate which is why he was suspended not that it was about Phaneuf or any player in particular.

Ticonderoga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 06:34 PM
flamesfan12

Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
Avery is an idiot, but we all already knew that. Quite embarrasing comment from him and I'm surprised some people have no problem with it. Absolutely no need to bring anyone's personal lives into a pregame interview. It was a direct shot at Phaneuf and Cuthbert and the NHL can't stand for that kind of crap.

flamesfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 06:36 PM
flamesfan12

Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
Quote:

Haha lets not kid ourselves. This was a direct shot at Phaneuf. Not to mention the supposed relationship between Cuthbert and Komisarek has been denied from both sides.

flamesfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2008, 01:28 AM
Ice Cream Man
$1 Oysters

Well, in Avery's case, he shouldn't have referred to Elisha Cuthbert as ''sloppy seconds'. There's nothing else more to discuss.

Ice Cream Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2008, 04:05 AM
Split98

Suspended until Feb 3 would be amazing.

Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2008, 01:30 PM
DownInFlames

Quote:

You do know Jarrett Stoll is engaged to Rachel Hunter who was also Avery's 'sloppy seconds' so that as well.

DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2008, 01:35 PM
sonetlumiere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split98 View Post
Suspended until Feb 3 would be amazing.
cosign. his teammates would probably all rep suits under there uni's in anticipation of the impending funeral.

sonetlumiere is offline   Reply With Quote