HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would you do it? (All Avery talk here)

Old
12-03-2008, 01:41 PM
MikeyLikesHockey

vCash: 500
I would have suspended him for 10 games.

Conduct unbecoming an NHL player.

When you sign up in the league, you sign up with the NHLPA, and the NHL itself, stating and recognizing certain standards of etiquette.

Just because Sean is trailer trash doesn't mean the league has to accept his WWF style of oration. He can say what he wants about other players, but when he personally attacks people that aren't even in the league, he has crossed the line.

Maybe he should go audition for The Hills. Seems he could get along with those social succubi.

MikeyLikesHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 01:46 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyGSpot View Post
I would have suspended him for 10 games.

Conduct unbecoming an NHL player.

When you sign up in the league, you sign up with the NHLPA, and the NHL itself, stating and recognizing certain standards of etiquette.

Just because Sean is trailer trash doesn't mean the league has to accept his WWF style of oration. He can say what he wants about other players, but when he personally attacks people that aren't even in the league, he has crossed the line.

Maybe he should go audition for The Hills. Seems he could get along with those social succubi.
This is something we can both agree on...finally

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 01:52 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

I don't know if Avery would work well on any team that doesn't have Brendan Shanahan on it. The Stars should sign Shanny to shut Avery up.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 02:23 PM
Banks3rdLineCenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
Wow. You're completely missing the point.

You're right, what he said wasn't that big a deal. But the point is, IT SHOULDNT BE SAID AT ALL! Why does it have to be said after the morning skate leading up to the game? He's just making the sport look more like a soap opera than anything else and thats not what the sport needs. He does make this look like some drama show with his antics and honestly I'm glad he was suspended because maybe, at some point, he'll get the message and keep his mouth shut and let his play do the talking. But the problem is, Avery isn't a great hockey player. He has to keep opening his mouth otherwise he would barely be noticed out there on the ice. He's an idiot who cares more about his image hence him getting involved with vogue and doing photo shoots. He needs to grow up and be a man instead of a complaining b****.

Sure I dont think he needed to be suspended, but it seems its always something else with him so he had it coming.
Call in any New York sports talk radio show and tell them that you feel Avery is turning the NHL into a "soap opera." Firstly, you'd probably have to explain what this strange thing called the NHL is because most people in New York (and the rest of the United States) aren't really aware of it.

Look, I love the game. We all love the game and the guys that play it. But have any of you watched ESPN recently? Some of you make it out as if the NHL is running some type of out of control circus. The NHL is by FAR the most tame and uncontroversial professional sports league in North America. The only time hockey gets play in the American media is when some goon jumps someone else and breaks his neck or if someone takes a brutal stick to the face. The fact of the matter is that the NHL hasn't realized that if they ever want to expand their market and their fan base they have to cater to more casual fans. You do that by creating story lines and fostering rivalries.

If your a non-hockey fan sitting at home and you see this punk Avery talking trash about a Calgary defenseman's girlfriend you might actually be inclined to tune into the game and check out how the situation plays out. Otherwise, let's all be honest here, no non-hockey fan is going to give a damn about the Dallas Stars playing the Calgary Flames.

If the NHL is a "soap-opera" than it really needs to hire some new writers because it desperately lacks dynamic characters, villains, tensions, hatreds, and rivalries.

Banks3rdLineCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 02:26 PM
Banks3rdLineCenter

And, just incidentally, if this "isn't what the sport needs" than what does it need?

Old
12-03-2008, 02:34 PM
Camenzuli

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyZ View Post
Call in any New York sports talk radio show and tell them that you feel Avery is turning the NHL into a "soap opera." Firstly, you'd probably have to explain what this strange thing called the NHL is because most people in New York (and the rest of the United States) aren't really aware of it.

Look, I love the game. We all love the game and the guys that play it. But have any of you watched ESPN recently? Some of you make it out as if the NHL is running some type of out of control circus. The NHL is by FAR the most tame and uncontroversial professional sports league in North America. The only time hockey gets play in the American media is when some goon jumps someone else and breaks his neck or if someone takes a brutal stick to the face. The fact of the matter is that the NHL hasn't realized that if they ever want to expand their market and their fan base they have to cater to more casual fans. You do that by creating story lines and fostering rivalries.

If your a non-hockey fan sitting at home and you see this punk Avery talking trash about a Calgary defenseman's girlfriend you might actually be inclined to tune into the game and check out how the situation plays out. Otherwise, let's all be honest here, no non-hockey fan is going to give a damn about the Dallas Stars playing the Calgary Flames.

If the NHL is a "soap-opera" than it really needs to hire some new writers because it desperately lacks dynamic characters, villains, tensions, hatreds, and rivalries.
Dude, I'd buy you a beer if I could! Spot on!! People need to chill out and get a grip!

Camenzuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 02:38 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camenzuli View Post
Dude, I'd buy you a beer if I could! Spot on!! People need to chill out and get a grip!
Hahahah!

Both of you are so so wrong, but at least you're not lonely

If you want to watch soap opera's with little/no class, checkout wrestling.

NHL decided a longtime ago that the league should have integrity and not give in to the circus antics that appear once and awhile. Again, no one in hockey is standing up for Avery, not even the NHLPA.

Old
12-03-2008, 02:43 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Hahahah!

NHL decided a longtime ago that the league should have integrity and not give in to the circus antics that appear once and awhile. Again, no one in hockey is standing up for Avery, not even the NHLPA.
while i agree it was innapropriate i dont think it warranted a suspension by the league....if the team wanted to sit him, fine.....but he should have been fined and let the team deal with it.....it just doesnt make sense when the kostopolous hit on van ryn got what....3 games and he broke his nose and seperated his shoulder straight from behind and avery gets possibly more than that for saying something in the media.....should be a fine...not a suspension from the league

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 02:49 PM
Banks3rdLineCenter

Quote:
Hahahah!

Wrestling? How about the NFL, MLB, NBA or NASCAR? All of which have better ratings than the NHL?

And just to show you how egregious and offensive Avery's comment was, it has YET to be mentioned on ESPN. Listened to Mike and Mike in the car on the way to work today, no mention of Avery. Listened to Michael Kay and Max Kellerman, no mention of Avery. Football fans and basketball fans WISH all the players in their leagues could state that their most egregious offense against society was some high-school status idiotic comment in the media.

Avery shoots off at the mouth. Burress shoots off his thigh. Who is the bigger menace to society?

Last edited by Banks3rdLineCenter: 12-03-2008 at 03:22 PM.
Old
12-03-2008, 02:53 PM
ghirshorn

we dont need to get back together with our sloppy seconds

ghirshorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 02:57 PM
Camenzuli

Quote:
Hahahah!

Aye, we're wrong. What's up with all this class chat? Not everyone is a Adam Graves, Brendan Shanahan etc.
Comments from one guy and it's a soap opera? They probably need some publicity. It's not like NHL is the most popular league in the world. Not saying we need clowns like Avery running loose doing whatever he wants but these comments did not warrant a suspension.

Old
12-03-2008, 02:58 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
while i agree it was innapropriate i dont think it warranted a suspension by the league....if the team wanted to sit him, fine.....but he should have been fined and let the team deal with it.....it just doesnt make sense when the kostopolous hit on van ryn got what....3 games and he broke his nose and seperated his shoulder straight from behind and avery gets possibly more than that for saying something in the media.....should be a fine...not a suspension from the league
Was that his first offense?

Was this Avery's first run in with the league?

I think the suspension is apt.

Old
12-03-2008, 03:02 PM
Bobby Granger

Send a message via AIM to Bobby Granger
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
He is right about some things. For example, "the NHL does a terrible job of marketing" by not promoting its "villains," and that "nobody cares about Jarome Iginla and guys like that, they're just not exciting enough."

Most people would probably say Jarome who? The NHL definitely sucks at marketing. They promote 1, maybe 2 guys and that's it.

Haha since when did the nhl promote players. Even the face of the franchise isn't promoted nearly as much as the star of other sports. Hell roger federer gets more promotiion and tennis is not even popular In the US. Is crosby promoted like tom brady a tiger woods, a-rod, lebron james, or even david beckham? I mean the nhl is horrible is THE WORST at promoting. If I didn't follow hockey,and love the sport. I prob wouldn't know what time playoff games are on. And when they put the games on VERSES. It took me like 2 weeks to find the god damn channel haha.

Sad but true. Sorry for the off topic rant

Bobby Granger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 03:06 PM
Banks3rdLineCenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Granger View Post
Haha since when did the nhl promote players. Even the face of the franchise isn't promoted nearly as much as the star of other sports. Hell roger federer gets more promotiion and tennis is not even popular In the US. Is crosby promoted like tom brady a tiger woods, a-rod, lebron james, or even david beckham? I mean the nhl is horrible is THE WORST at promoting. If I didn't follow hockey,and love the sport. I prob wouldn't know what time playoff games are on. And when they put the games on VERSES. It took me like 2 weeks to find the god damn channel haha.

Sad but true. Sorry for the off topic rant
Quoted for truth.

Old
12-03-2008, 03:09 PM
Bobby Granger

Send a message via AIM to Bobby Granger
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghirshorn View Post
we dont need to get back together with our sloppy seconds
Best quote in the thread. HaHahaha.

We also need a scoring winger not an agitator. Point black.

Now what if he was added in a package? Would u take him then?

Bobby Granger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 03:37 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

I don't condone what Avery said at all. But to be suspended for those comments are pretty pathetic. Should have been taken care of on the ice, not by Bettman flexing his anti-fight muscles again. Hell, if they would only ammend the rules a little antagonists like Sean Avery might just tone it down a little more, for fear that someone might bust them in the chops for running thier mouths.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 03:45 PM
dedalus

Quote:
I would have agreed if he had said "wh0re" but that wasnt what he said.
The implications of the statement are identical; that's why it's offensive.

And frankly it doesn't matter. If he'd said some female fan was "no doubt someone's 'sloppy seconds'" the result would have been the same, and rightfully so.

Quote:
If he had called a random fan a ***** it would have been a completely different thing.
Only in your mind. The league cannot permit nor permit itself a double standard: "Don't insult the fans ... unless they're ex-girlfriends. Then you can say whatever you want about them."

Such a position is utterly laughable.

dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 04:14 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Was that his first offense?

Was this Avery's first run in with the league?

I think the suspension is apt.
but the fact remains....van ryn is still out with an injury after a few weeks already and avery said something.....i dont understand how one gets a three game suspension and the other is indefinite

Old
12-03-2008, 04:18 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
.....should be a fine...not a suspension from the league
Whether you agree or not, I think it speaks to the degree to which the league wants to separate themselves from players like this. A history of questionable choices didn't help. And honestly, what is a fine going to mean to a multi-millionaire?

One of the things I personally like about hockey is the general absence of foolishless like this. I admire the respect shown by players to eachother, no matter how heated the event gets. It would be a real shame for the league to allow that aspect of the game to be compromised in the name of growing their appeal to attract marginal fans who are only really interested in the side shows.

Shut the **** up and play hockey already, Sean.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 04:20 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Whether you agree or not, I think it speaks to the degree to which the league wants to separate themselves from players like this. A history of questionable choices didn't help. And honestly, what is a fine going to mean to a multi-millionaire?

One of the things I personally like about hockey is the general absence of foolishless like this. I admire the respect shown by players to eachother, no matter how heated the event gets. It would be a real shame for the league to allow that aspect of the game to be compromised in the name of growing their appeal to attract marginal fans who are only really interested in the side shows.

Shut the **** up and play hockey already, Sean.
i totally agree with what you are saying and im not trying to defend avery because what he said was innapropriate.....however i still dont understand how some plays where players get seriously injured are deemed less serious then sean avery saying sloppy seconds on tv......

Old
12-03-2008, 04:30 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
i totally agree with what you are saying and im not trying to defend avery because what he said was innapropriate.....however i still dont understand how some plays where players get seriously injured are deemed less serious then sean avery saying sloppy seconds on tv......
Short answer, it's Avery. The quotes from the league make it sound like he was due for a suspension no matter what his next questionable act turned out to be.

I do also think there's a difference between on-ice and off-ice actions. When a player speaks to the media, for that moment, he's representing his team and the league.

Old
12-03-2008, 04:39 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Short answer, it's Avery. The quotes from the league make it sound like he was due for a suspension no matter what his next questionable act turned out to be.

I do also think there's a difference between on-ice and off-ice actions. When a player speaks to the media, for that moment, he's representing his team and the league.
Nobody thinks this is Avery trying to get traded out of Dallas? IMO I think he just used them to get his contract and I think the Rangers are one of maybe 3 teams that would actually trade for him. If Dallas likes Redden so much and they can fit him under the cap I would trade Redden's horrid contract for Avery's.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 05:00 PM
Camenzuli

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus View Post
The implications of the statement are identical; that's why it's offensive.

And frankly it doesn't matter. If he'd said some female fan was "no doubt someone's 'sloppy seconds'" the result would have been the same, and rightfully so.

Only in your mind. The league cannot permit nor permit itself a double standard: "Don't insult the fans ... unless they're ex-girlfriends. Then you can say whatever you want about them."

Such a position is utterly laughable.
I disagree. Everything about the situation makes it different. Cuthbert is Avery's ex and a famous person. It's not like people didnt know about the history and reason for these comments. I see it as an unclassy comment said tongue in cheek to stir some ***** and personally I dont have a problem with it as long as it's not something that would happen all the time. I guess some of us are a bit softer though. Fair enough.

Old
12-03-2008, 05:04 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Nobody thinks this is Avery trying to get traded out of Dallas?
That's a stretch.

Old
12-03-2008, 05:06 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
I disagree. Everything about the situation makes it different. Cuthbert is Avery's ex and a famous person. It's not like people didnt know about the history and reason for these comments. I see it as an unclassy comment said tongue in cheek to stir some ***** and personally I dont have a problem with it as long as it's not something that would happen all the time. I guess some of us are a bit softer though. Fair enough.
Yeah that must be it.