HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Latendresse on the trade market?

Old
12-03-2008, 01:16 PM
MathMan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Komisarek View Post
Power forwards don't wear visors. Just saying.
This guy called Jarome Iginla says hi. You may have heard of him.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 01:17 PM
gillyguzzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
My take goes for everyone, from fans on this board, to analyst on TV to personalities on the radio. Everyone is making a much, MUCH, bigger deal out of Latendresse being benched.

Why do players just because their being benched now have to be traded? Players get sit ALL THE DAMN TIME in EVERY NHL TEAM. It doesn't mean the coach doesn't like the player, it doesn't mean they're upset about their contract or whatever stupid non-performance related reason people try to come up with.

Ak46 at this point last year was struggling and was sat for a few consecutive games yet he's still part of this teams plans.

So yeah, sorry if I fail to see why Latendresse being benched generates so much discussion...there's so many other things to discuss.
Guys like Bégin, Brisebois, Dandy and BGL get sat at times because of diminishing skills.

Guys like O'Byrne and Lapierre get sat for diminished performance.

A guy like SKost get sat because of attitude and lack of effort.

There is no secret in these cases and the reasons are usually obvious. We all knew Sergei was going to get benched after his 3 stupid penalties and Carbo saying publically that he was acting like a ten year vet.

But, with Lats, I simply described how a former Habs player saw the situation and was surprised to hear that it may be more of a personality conflict between Carbo and Lats. Why do you click on the thread about Latendresse if you can't understand the interest in him and then mock those who discuss it?

gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 01:22 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Ak46 at this point last year was struggling and was sat for a few consecutive games yet he's still part of this teams plans.
AK46 last year at this point had had some time on the top line, some time on the lower lines, had been bounced around lines, had only a few points, had been a healthy scratch a few times, had been criticized for his work ethic, and questions had arisen about him being a bust.

Then he broke out in the latter part of the year.

Sound familiar?

Old
12-03-2008, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyguzzler View Post
Guys like Bégin, Brisebois, Dandy and BGL get sat at times because of diminishing skills.

Guys like O'Byrne and Lapierre get sat for diminished performance.

A guy like SKost get sat because of attitude and lack of effort.

There is no secret in these cases and the reasons are usually obvious. We all knew Sergei was going to get benched after his 3 stupid penalties and Carbo saying publically that he was acting like a ten year vet.

But, with Lats, I simply described how a former Habs player saw the situation and was surprised to hear that it may be more of a personality conflict between Carbo and Lats. Why do you click on the thread about Latendresse if you can't understand the interest in him and then mock those who discuss it?
I didn't mock anyone...but please man, look around the NHL for a second!

Guys with as much or even higher potentials than either of Skost or GL get benched as well...from Stamkos, Turris, Mueller, Moller, Boedker, Gagner, Nilsson, Brunnstrom, Dawes, Stajan, Kessel, B.Boyle, Setoguchi, Bernier, Wellwood, Hansen, Raymond, Gillies, Ryan, etc, etc.

What makes Sergei Kostitsyn and/or Guillaume Latendresse so much more special than anyother player? Fans from the teams of the players i mentionned don't go around saying those players are now trade bait because they sat out a few games here and there, THAT'S PART OF A YOUNG PLAYERS DEVELOPMENT, it happens! It doesn't mean they're no longer part of the teams plan long term.

That's what I find ridiculous here...like yesterday, they were talking whether or Latendresse should contact his agent???? Please, Gainey would laugh in their face...they got benched because the coach is not satisfied with their performance, it's up to them to find their way back onto the team and keep their position.

Sometimes, we're all guilty of thinking that no other team has issues with their #4-5-6 defensman or that no other team has struggling prospects or that no other team has consistency issues...look around the NHL, aside from the Sharks right now, every team has some issues

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 01:31 PM
jnthomas

Send a message via MSN to jnthomas
I was thinking (crazy pass time of mine) I'd love to see Latendresse play a regular shift (5-10 games) on the fourth line. Not as a wake up call, as Carbo usually uses this tactic, but more of a chance for Guy to learn to play more aggressive. Carbo would obviously need to make it clear to the kid that's its not a demonition per say, but more a chance for him to learn to use his body more.

If you look at many of the power forwards in the first few years they played more of a checking role as they learned how to better use their bodies for maximum effect. I'd love to see Latendresse get that chance.

Basically diminish the kid's responsabilities from hitting and scoring to simply hitting, until he has that right, then put him back on lines where he needs to do both.

jnthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
AK46 last year at this point had had some time on the top line, some time on the lower lines, had been bounced around lines, had only a few points, had been a healthy scratch a few times, had been criticized for his work ethic, and questions had arisen about him being a bust.

Then he broke out in the latter part of the year.

Sound familiar?
My point exactly...furthermore, when Kostitsyn was benched last year, he didn't give up his spot once he got it back. That's what Sergei and especially Latendresse have to do. Young players cannot get complacent, because even if they don't deserve it, they'll be the first to cop when heads need to roll.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 07:05 PM
saints96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboflex View Post
I'd trade Sergei before Guillaume. The latter is a lot better protecting the puck in opposition zone and better at scoring in close.
If you think that Lats is better at protecting the puck than Skos is, then i don`t think you`re watching the same canadian`s games. Every time Lats has the puck he gets it taken off of him, he has no puck control, no hockey sense, he is always on the wrong side, doesn`t follow the play, often in the way of his linemates and dumps the puck in a lob fashion. He cant even get the dump and chase right. Put an orange cone on the ice and put Lats there, its the same thing. Skos has way better hands, better play making skills and has a nice shot

saints96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 07:07 PM
sampollock

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketlives View Post
Trade Latendresse for a good #4 dman and call up D'Agostini and Pacioretty for good and this team is already stronger. Among other things, you'd see the Kostitsyns moving their butts with more regularity.
agreed

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 07:28 PM
MathMan

So we've got a player, born in 1987, so 21 years old, and drafted in 2005. He's got plenty of upside, good hands, a good shot. In his rookie year he displayed surprising vision and passing skill, and was a solid complementary offensive producer. This year, however, he's been disappointing offensively. Oh, he's had his moments, but he's also has his disappointing games, has taken penalties late in tight games, and has been bouncing from line to line, his work ethic has been questioned on his board, and the coach was unhappy enough to put him in the press box for last game. He just hasn't progressed this year relative to last year. He's still a 21-year old with plenty of upside, however.

Knowing that you would be unlikely to get a lot out of him given his relative inexperience, unproven performance, and the fact that he's been sent to the pressbox just last game...

Would you trade this player?

Old
12-03-2008, 07:52 PM
sampollock

Quote:
So we've got a player, born in 1987, so 21 years old, and drafted in 2005. He's got plenty of upside, good hands, a good shot. In his rookie year he displayed surprising vision and passing skill, and was a solid complementary offensive producer. This year, however, he's been disappointing offensively. Oh, he's had his moments, but he's also has his disappointing games, has taken penalties late in tight games, and has been bouncing from line to line, his work ethic has been questioned on his board, and the coach was unhappy enough to put him in the press box for last game. He just hasn't progressed this year relative to last year. He's still a 21-year old with plenty of upside, however.

Knowing that you would be unlikely to get a lot out of him given his relative inexperience, unproven performance, and the fact that he's been sent to the pressbox just last game...

depends what was coming back?

the same in a area we need like D?

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 07:55 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampollock View Post
depends what was coming back?
Realistically, a D prospect of slightly lesser ability, or a second-round pick. It's doubtful you could package him with a first for a defenseman like J-Bo -- that's likely to require a proven NHLer, a Higgins maybe.

If you're hoping for a #4 puck-moving D-man, well, you're going to need to overpay -- these guys are hugely valuable, are not big cap hits, are vital to teams, so teams tend to want to hang on to them.

But you would consider moving this player, and if so, what would you want for him?

Would you look to just ditch him to make room?

Last edited by MathMan: 12-03-2008 at 08:02 PM.
Old
12-03-2008, 07:57 PM
Westcoasthabsfan

I am laughing at all the people that are comparing Lats to Leclair..... these two are like polar opposites.....I say ditch him now because this team needs help scoring goals and Lats isnt the answer to that problem..... they have played all right defensively but are struggling putting the puck in the net....

Westcoasthabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 08:16 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
We're not going far in playoffs IF Lats is in the lineup sucking up 12-14 minutes/game with his slow skating and plays that go nowhere fast.
Well, this is where those annoying facts get in the way. Lats' 12-14 minutes, at his production rate so far this year, would still have been more productive than the same amount of icetime given to Sergei Kostitsyn...

... or Tomas Plekanec (but it's very close).

Old
12-03-2008, 09:07 PM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoasthabsfan View Post
I am laughing at all the people that are comparing Lats to Leclair..... these two are like polar opposites.....I say ditch him now because this team needs help scoring goals and Lats isnt the answer to that problem..... they have played all right defensively but are struggling putting the puck in the net....
Devin Setoguchi

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote