HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I like our prospect list a lot!

Closed Thread

Old
07-19-2004, 12:42 AM
Phanuthier*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark
What? I said nothing about a Flames Homer.
Sorry, that was directed to Magnus.

I'm obviously bias, but I don't think I'm as one-sided as many others. I've been ripped as an antagonist at the Flames board, and a homer here.

Really, I don't care what HF says. I'll read their posts, but there isn't much they could say that I didn't know. I'm a Flames fan that lives in Edmonton (during the hockey season) so I catch alot of the trio on both sides. HF has a tendency to have a "flavour of the year" syndrome, just look at how they jump on certain individuals (ie. Frolov) and they quickly die off when they don't reach the startdom projected to be. I perfer an all around objective view, one of which doesn't jump year to year.

The fact is that I like Matt Lombardi a hellova lot more then Jarrett Stoll, who I have already said I'm not a fan of, but will admit that he has passed all my expectations. Saprykin (IMO future 40 goal scorer) and Kobasew (IMO 25 goal scorer0 aren't that far off IMO to Hemsky (40-45 goal scorer) and Torres (30-35 goal scorer). However, I see Matt Lombardi with the upside of Brandon Morrison, which pushes the scale IMO to the Flames - and a bonified No 1 center. To me, Stoll is more of a 2nd-3rd line center. General consensus is that Lombardi is a 2nd line center (upside), but his stickhandling and offensive instincts are second to none. Might I add that I said this 2 years ago when he was still 20, and that year played on the farm - so that means I am not just on the Lombardi bandwagon, but I always thought he had some pretty damn good offense in him. Ditto Saprykin, who isn't getting these props from me just because of his play in the finals, I've thought he was a 40 goal scorer for years, and Kobasew 25-30 for years, dispite the fact that he didn't score in the playoffs.

Old
07-19-2004, 01:35 AM
hockeyaddict101

stoll and lombardi stats very similar.

Who did Lombardi play with in Calgary most of the year? I am not asking this to be a jerk but I think he played with better players than Stoll did and yet his offensive stats are not much better than Stolls and were not better in the AHL. I could be wrong here though.

In 79 games Lombardi had 16g and 13A. In the AHL in 76 games 25g and 21A.

Stoll in 68 games had 10g and 11A. In the AHL in 76 games 21 goals and 33A.

In junior they have similar stats and Lombardi played in the high scoring QMJHL.

I like Lombardi he has some excellent speed and obviously has offensive flair, Stoll is also good offensively, he got good numbers for a guy on the fourth line and is already an excellent two way forward. I will give Lombardi the edge offensively (we agree here) because I think Stoll is going to be so good defensively that this may hamper his offensive development but two-way forwards that have offensive touch are very valuable especially in the playoffs.

I think both players will be good and I am a fan of Stoll because his defensive play is remarkable and he is already excellent at faceoffs and has a surprising offensive component.

Two very different styles of play but hard for me to give an edge at this time to either team. It may be always be difficult because their styles are very different.

Old
07-19-2004, 01:40 AM
Bicycle Repairman
HFBoards Sponsor

Lombardi's career is in jeopardy after that Hatcher elbow in the Detroit series resulted in a concussion.

Oleg SuperChicken is nothing more than an overpaid third liner and Chuck Kobasew has a ways to go.

The Edmonton Oilers on paper are redolent with dynastic talent but unfortunately time is running out on the franchise's existence.

Both franchises are heading down the tube because the new CBA (when it's finally negotiated) will not produce the optimum result that both teams need to merely exist, let alone thrive.

Old
07-19-2004, 01:41 AM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44
Who did Lombardi play with in Calgary most of the year? I am not asking this to be a jerk but I think he played with better players than Stoll did and yet his offensive stats are not much better than Stolls and were not better in the AHL. I could be wrong here though.

In 79 games Lombardi had 16g and 13A. In the AHL in 76 games 25g and 21A.

Stoll in 68 games had 10g and 11A. In the AHL in 76 games 21 goals and 33A.

In junior they have similar stats and Lombardi played in the high scoring QMJHL.

I like Lombardi he has some excellent speed and obviously has offensive flair, Stoll is also good offensively, he got good numbers for a guy on the fourth line and is already an excellent two way forward. I will give Lombardi the edge offensively (we agree here) because I think Stoll is going to be so good defensively that this may hamper his offensive development but two-way forwards that have offensive touch are very valuable especially in the playoffs.

I think both players will be good and I am a fan of Stoll because his defensive play is remarkable and he is already excellent at faceoffs and has a surprising offensive component.

Two very different styles of play but hard for me to give an edge at this time to either team. It may be always be difficult because their styles are very different.
On that same note, I gotta say that Lombardi's defense is horrendously underrated. He really is great at both ends of the ice now, the year in the AHL was great for him in that respect.

Old
07-19-2004, 02:06 AM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicycle Repairman
Lombardi's career is in jeopardy after that Hatcher elbow in the Detroit series resulted in a concussion.

Oleg SuperChicken is nothing more than an overpaid third liner and Chuck Kobasew has a ways to go.

The Edmonton Oilers on paper are redolent with dynastic talent but unfortunately time is running out on the franchise's existence.

Both franchises are heading down the tube because the new CBA (when it's finally negotiated) will not produce the optimum result that both teams need to merely exist, let alone thrive.
You can add every team except for Toronto on that list. Vancouver is already talking about walking away from arbitration hearings because their budget is stretched to the max and can't take much more.

Old
07-19-2004, 02:53 AM
Jamie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatman Phanutier
Sorry, that was directed to Magnus.

I'm obviously bias, but I don't think I'm as one-sided as many others. I've been ripped as an antagonist at the Flames board, and a homer here.

Really, I don't care what HF says. I'll read their posts, but there isn't much they could say that I didn't know. I'm a Flames fan that lives in Edmonton (during the hockey season) so I catch alot of the trio on both sides. HF has a tendency to have a "flavour of the year" syndrome, just look at how they jump on certain individuals (ie. Frolov) and they quickly die off when they don't reach the startdom projected to be. I perfer an all around objective view, one of which doesn't jump year to year.

The fact is that I like Matt Lombardi a hellova lot more then Jarrett Stoll, who I have already said I'm not a fan of, but will admit that he has passed all my expectations. Saprykin (IMO future 40 goal scorer) and Kobasew (IMO 25 goal scorer0 aren't that far off IMO to Hemsky (40-45 goal scorer) and Torres (30-35 goal scorer). However, I see Matt Lombardi with the upside of Brandon Morrison, which pushes the scale IMO to the Flames - and a bonified No 1 center. To me, Stoll is more of a 2nd-3rd line center. General consensus is that Lombardi is a 2nd line center (upside), but his stickhandling and offensive instincts are second to none. Might I add that I said this 2 years ago when he was still 20, and that year played on the farm - so that means I am not just on the Lombardi bandwagon, but I always thought he had some pretty damn good offense in him. Ditto Saprykin, who isn't getting these props from me just because of his play in the finals, I've thought he was a 40 goal scorer for years, and Kobasew 25-30 for years, dispite the fact that he didn't score in the playoffs.
Lombardi is a guy I hated to see us lose myself. I was happy when the Oilers drafted him originally, and was hoping that they'd re-draft him actually, but personally I prefer Stoll. He's great defensivly, seems to be a player that makes his linemates better, and has good offensive skills too. You obviouslly don't like Stoll, and that's totally fine. You could be right and Lombardi may end up being clearly the better player but my predictions are more towards Lomardi being a decent 2nd liner putting up around 60 points or so, with Stoll in a similar role hitting about the same number of points, although contributing much more defensivly and being a leader as well. Either way, I hope both players develop well as it could help bring back the fire to the rivalry as both were drafted by the opposite team.

Saprykin and Hemsky IMO you're overrating, but once again, just my opinion, I don't claim to be some sort of physcic that know's exactly how both will turn out like some poster's on HF(don't worry, not referring to you ). I think Hemsky could easily be a ppg player, and have a very well rounded game, but probably hitting around 25-30 goals on average. And Saprykin, I see being a slight step behind him, but being a very useful forward for the Flames, and hitting around the same goals, but chipping in less assists.

As for Kobasew vs Torres... no contest IMO. I'm not a fan of Chuck and never have been, and have ALWAYS been a fan of Torres. I remember a few years ago, I made up a list of who I considered the top 50 prospects in the league for Pucks now annual top 50 prospect rankings, and I had Torres at #3, and that's when he was still an Isle. I love the way he plays, and he's the exact type of player that helps win championships. I doubt anybody here on HF has liked Torres as much as me however, so I could easily be wrong and watch him take a step back, but I highly highly doubt that and see him as being an unheralded great player for the Oilers but never getting the league wide recognition because I doubt he'll ever register huge offensive numbers. In other words, I'd take Torres over any of the players mentioned, and Kobasew last of all the mentioned players, so for me, this may not be the fairest comparison

Old
07-19-2004, 03:01 AM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicycle Repairman
Where did you hear this?

07-19-2004, 03:26 AM
Cerebral

I'm really excited to see Reddox and I think he has the chance to be a pretty good NHL player.. that is all.

Closed Thread