HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Briere out of shape?(Edit out 4-5 weeks, post #16)

Old
12-03-2008, 08:52 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Gaustad + Enroth + picks
They wouldn't fork out the cash for him, so I doubt they fork out the cash and players and picks for him two seasons later.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 08:59 PM
Cleary84

Would it really be wise to trade Danny?

All in all the guy has the potential to be what he was in Buffalo. If he gets the proper recoop time and rest he still has the potential to be deadly.

Cleary84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 09:28 PM
Raffl House

vCash: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by opus View Post
We'd be better off with Wellwood at a fraction of the price. I think he makes less than a million.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
Trading Briere for Wellwood would give up cap space to bring Jones up.

I understand Briere getting 6.5 a year, but for 8 years HOLY ****. I don't like him because his contract is a joke.

At this point we win more games without him, and his cap number will be hell for 6 more years while we have 2 top centers already.

Richards and Carter makes Briere expendable. However, since we have him, we might as well use him. I just hate his contract.
People scoffed when I said we should have brought in Wellwood last year when he was on waivers. His contract was around $850,000 and he would have been a better offensive option then Metropolit, that's for sure.

Raffl House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 09:31 PM
Raffl House

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dig Out Your Soul View Post
They wouldn't fork out the cash for him, so I doubt they fork out the cash and players and picks for him two seasons later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers84 View Post

All in all the guy has the potential to be what he was in Buffalo. If he gets the proper recoop time and rest he still has the potential to be deadly.
And why trade him NOW? We would have to give him away at this point. Doesn't he also have a no-movement clause?

Right now, his value is about as low as it can go. He has a massive amount of time and money left on his contract, with lingering injury issues coming off a subpar year. In 2-3 years, it would be easier to trade him. Otherwise, we are stuck with Danny. We just need to be supportive and the Flyers need to stop bringing back players too soon from injuries. I've had enough of Lindros, Forsberg, and now Danny being rushed.

Old
12-03-2008, 09:32 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:

Exactly.

People can complain all they want about Briere's performance last year, but how many different linemates were used with Danny? He didn't perform well last year because he had 13 different linemates throughout the year. Nobody would perform with those kinds of changes being made to your line.

As for this year, he's legitimately injured. You can be in the best of shape and suffer from groin injuries. What's worse was that sports hernia he had. He came back too soon from it and we're seeing it now. Briere should have taken the required 4 to 6 weeks off to let it heal and then start working his way back into the lineup.

Hopefully the Flyers medical staff do right this time and take their time with Danny.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 09:34 PM
blah

Briere does what he was signed to do. Stop inventing problems, people.

Wellwood probably would have been the second coming of Comrie in Philly, but for 850k, it may not have been a bad idea to take a flier (no pun) on him though.

Last edited by blah: 12-03-2008 at 09:40 PM.
blah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 09:37 PM
Raffl House

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post

Hopefully the Flyers medical staff do right this time and take their time with Danny.
History would suggest the opposite.

Old
12-03-2008, 09:42 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Well Afino/Connolly/Kotalik/Spacek are all UFAs. Say they keep Connolly and Kotalik. Connolly at say 2 mil and Kotalik at 2.5.

Vanek-Roy-Stafford
Hecht-Briere-Pominville
Paille-Connolly-Kotalik
Peters-Mair-Kaleta

Rivet-Sekera
Lydman-Tallinder
Paestch-Weber

Miller
Lalime

Brings them around 52.5 million

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 09:46 PM
Cleary84

I would love to see Danny retire here, I think he has that ability, when he's on his game to just add more and more with those sneaky backdoor goals. When he can get it done, we all know how good he is behind the net.

Cleary84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 09:47 PM
Orange Crush 89

I think the Flyers are a better team without, I honestly wish we COULD move him and pick up a d-man.

Orange Crush 89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 10:00 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
People can complain all they want about Briere's performance last year, but how many different linemates were used with Danny? He didn't perform well last year because he had 13 different linemates throughout the year. Nobody would perform with those kinds of changes being made to your line.
Everybody had the same changes made to their lines and other players had no problem playing with different linemates, particularly Mike Richards.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 10:08 PM
Mike Richards 18

vCash: 50
he is a professional hockey player there are no excuses. b/c of line shuffling

Mike Richards 18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 10:20 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:

Yes, he has the potential to be deadly, but we don't really need more offense. Trading Briere at the very least could save up some cap space for another dman or a goalie upgrade. We don't need 3 first line centers.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 11:06 PM
flyersfan97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Oh, man, I really enjoy our PP so much more when Danny is around. I didn't love the linemates last night, maybe they'll figure something out in the meantime. He needs to just rest and fully recover--no need to rush him back.

flyersfan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 11:27 PM
Ri hards

DAMN YOU BRIERE!!! He's killing my hockey pool....

Ri hards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2008, 12:26 AM
lefty2time*

Hey guys...

On the topic of Briere

What do you guys think of

Wellwood/Bernier(either one)
Salo
1st rnd pick-2009

for
Briere
Kukkonen
Lupul
oh..and lots of capspace!

I'd like to see Salo given a chance to play a bigger part on a team's D. I think he'd look great playing alongside Timonen
No way in hell? maybe? im curious!!

lefty2time* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2008, 12:29 AM
Ri hards

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty2time View Post
Hey guys...

On the topic of Briere

Salo
1st rnd pick-2009

for
Briere
Kukkonen
Lupul

I'd like to see Salo given a chance to play a bigger part on a team's D. I think he'd look great playing alongside Timonen
Salo is far too injury prone to be of any real interest. If Briere is going to the Nucks, Schneider + needs to be coming back.

I'd say no way in hell to your proposal as it currently stands.

Ri hards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2008, 12:33 AM
lefty2time*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Hole Sun View Post
Salo is far too injury prone to be of any real interest. If Briere is going to the Nucks, Schneider + needs to be coming back.

I'd say no way in hell to your proposal as it currently stands.

Ya, it makes sense Philly would want Schneider.....Ive seen him play a few times....so far he looks like the real deal!

But dont sell Salo short! He's good for 65 or more game a year!!

lefty2time* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2008, 01:52 AM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Meh, people were saying the exact thing last year and then look what happened when we got Prospal. Now Danny's getting blamed for our medical staff's continued incompetence (what a surprise).

Seems to me a few years ago that Gagne was getting blamed for having a bad season when in fact he too was getting rushed back way too quickly from a groin pull.

Danny still offers us that great, slick passing that no one else on the team really does right now. For example, that play on the PP yesterday in the 1st period when he danced around the back of the net and fed Coburn with Smith still looking the other way, the only reason Coburn didn't score was because someone blocked the shot.

And let's be honest here, a lot of good players in the NHL do need good linemates. We're extremely fortunate to have 2 guys like Carter and Richards who will excel no matter who they're playing with.

I know that Stevens doesn't want to break up Gagne-Richards-Knuble, which is understandable, but think about Gagne-Richards-Briere for the whole season. That would be an absolutely sick line and one you could pretty much constantly count on to get chances.

Not trying to bash Knuble in this instance, but it's true.

And also, we aren't a boards team. Our forecheck is average at best, probably below-average. We're a fast break and rush team.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2008, 07:52 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Medical staff have nothing to do with it. A guy returns to the lineup from a groin strain when he says he feels good enough to return. That's it.

There is no "medical staff rushed him back!" or "I hope the staff take their time this time!"

Good grief.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2008, 08:42 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Everybody had the same changes made to their lines and other players had no problem playing with different linemates, particularly Mike Richards.
nobody on the team had as many changes as Briere did, not even Richards. Richards first year with the team, he was playing with Handzus at first and then was moved to a line with Brashear and Savage. Richards second year, he played with Carter and Calder for one game and then the rest of the year, he played with Afanasenkov and Kapanen. Richards third year, there was more stability in that he mainly played with Lupul and Hartnell, but there were a few games he played with Hartnell and Downie. As for this year, Richards played with Gagne and Briere, but as of late, it's been Richards/Gagne/Knuble.

Richards did not play with 13 different linemates in one season like Briere did.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2008, 08:58 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
Richards did not play with 13 different linemates in one season like Briere did.
richards also has an innate knack to making his linemates better. briere sometimes has trouble finding chemistry. he has a lot of skill, so he isn't completely invisible without chemistry, but without it, he isn't scoring 90 points again.

is mccrossin still our medical guy? groin strains were raining from up high a couple seasons ago.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2008, 09:32 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
Trading Briere for Wellwood would give up cap space to bring Jones up.

I understand Briere getting 6.5 a year, but for 8 years HOLY ****. I don't like him because his contract is a joke.

At this point we win more games without him, and his cap number will be hell for 6 more years while we have 2 top centers already.

Richards and Carter makes Briere expendable. However, since we have him, we might as well use him. I just hate his contract.
Quote:
We'd be better off with Wellwood at a fraction of the price. I think he makes less than a million.
Quote:
Briere for Wellwood would never happen, and I'm not suggesting it should.

I wasn't a fan of bringing in Briere for that money over that length when he was signed a few years back...I'm even less impressed with it now.

Never liked the guy, like him less now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viller View Post
Briere looked out of shape since training camp to me, but I didn't say a word about it. I really like him as a player, but he needs to get his **** straight. This team needs him, believe or not. Veteran presence and I'm sure he had alot to do with Richards and Carter developping so well offensively.

Effects of him not being around might be minimal at this stage, but down the road they will show alot more. Come playoff time, I hope he's back at 100%. With Carter, Richards and Briere down the middle, we'd be a scary team to play against, even for Pittsburgh.
I am sick and tired of how quickly people jump on and off the bandwagon on these boards.....GO AWAY!!! He had a bad 10 game streak last year and everyone was saying the same thing. He finally had some players that complemented him and he went on a tear at the end of the season and in the playoffs and everyone loved him.

People, the NHL is an 82 game season, there are going to be lows that go with the highs.

How quickly people forget what he did in the playoffs last year

And for the record, I didnt want him here in the first place, I wanted Gomez. After last year I think we made the right decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Gambini View Post
last year it was trade gagne/carter
this year it was trade knuble, until he started scoring, now its trade briere
so, when briere comes back and starts putting up some points, who wants to bet that the trade briere comments die down??

he worked out with gags all summer with some olympic wrestler or something, so im sure he came into the season in shape....i can imagine it was hard after abdominal surgery to stay in tip top shape, but perhaps its just a string of bad luck??
He was scoring at a point per game before he got the abdominal injury, he didnt come in out of shape. After something like that you are going to get a little "pudgy" you cant work out your abs....

Like I said at the beginning, when these abdominal injuries occur, they typically last all season.....Everything is connected down there and he should have stayed out much longer the first time to recover. We are playing fine without him, keep him sidelined until like February, clears some cap space to bring in more help for a run this year and also gets him healthy and he hids mid season form come playoff time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Dank View Post
Briere has been a disappointment.

HUGE.
Yeah, the 32 goals last year and playing huge in the playoffs was such a disappointment

Quote:
Quote:
nobody on the team had as many changes as Briere did, not even Richards. Richards first year with the team, he was playing with Handzus at first and then was moved to a line with Brashear and Savage. Richards second year, he played with Carter and Calder for one game and then the rest of the year, he played with Afanasenkov and Kapanen. Richards third year, there was more stability in that he mainly played with Lupul and Hartnell, but there were a few games he played with Hartnell and Downie. As for this year, Richards played with Gagne and Briere, but as of late, it's been Richards/Gagne/Knuble.

I agree with BCF16 on this one. Richards and Breire are completely different players. Richards is more of a "thinking" player who can slow the game down and pretty much fit in with anyone. Briere is a pure offensive threat. Other than Gagne, the wingers we had on this team last year and this year, while skilled, are more of the hard working, cycle the puck type players that work with someone like Richards, but not Briere. None of our wingers have the pure skill that Pominville brings to the ice, outside of Gagne. Hence one of the reason I think Giroux should play with Briere when he gets a chance in the NHL, especially with Nodl showing some chemistry with Carter.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2008, 09:39 AM
Opus

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
I am sick and tired of how quickly people jump on and off the bandwagon on these boards.....GO AWAY!!! He had a bad 10 game streak last year and everyone was saying the same thing. He finally had some players that complemented him and he went on a tear at the end of the season and in the playoffs and everyone loved him.
Sorry, I don't like Briere.

Never did, never will.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2008, 09:39 AM
Chuck Downie
Berube is Chief

vCash: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty2time View Post
Hey guys...

On the topic of Briere

Salo
1st rnd pick-2009

for
Briere
Kukkonen
Lupul

Throw in Schneider and you've got a deal.

Chuck Downie is offline   Reply With Quote