HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

08-09: Junior, College, & Euro Prospects Update Thread

Old
10-19-2008, 01:49 PM
dafranchz

vCash: 500
08-09: Junior, College, & Euro Prospects Update Thread

Summers is back on defense after Michigan is hit with injuries at the position.

dafranchz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2008, 08:58 PM
Chootoi

if anyone is interested in watching nick ross in action, you can watch seattle @ kamloops right now. game is just starting.

you can watch it here:
http://www.hockeywebcasts.com/scgames/20081022d.php

Chootoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 05:01 PM
Kaizen

Colin Long's been named captain of the Kelowna Rockets.

http://www.kelownadailycourier.ca/to...895&type=Local

No doubt he has some serious offensive talent but he appears to be rounding out his game.

Kaizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2008, 05:56 PM
PhoPhan

Long is off to a pretty nice start with 19 points in 12 games, good for 4th in the WHL. Michael Stone is 13th among defensemen with 9 points in 11 games. Nick Ross has only 4 points in as many games.

Over in the QMJHL, Mathieu Brodeur has 2 points in 11 games but is a +3, while in the OHL, Jared Staal has 7 points in 9 games and Tim Billingsley has no points in three games.

As far as NCAA players go, Chris Summers is pointless through five games, Benn Ferriero is pointless through three, and Brett Hextall is pointless through four. In his first NCAA appearance, Scott Darling shut out Alaska with 24 saves.

PhoPhan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 03:47 PM
Chootoi

with no NHL games tonight you can see nick ross again tonight vs. brandon at 8:00 ET. link is here:

http://www.hockeywebcasts.com/scgames/20081026.php

Chootoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2008, 09:46 PM
Kaizen

Anybody else catch this game? I only saw about half of the third period but our boy Ross sure seems to be in the coaches' doghouse.

He saw a bit of ice but wasn't on the first or second PP unit.

I wonder if he won't be another deadline deal - the Blazers are rebuilding. Maybe this time he'll go to a contender.

Last edited by Kaizen: 11-01-2008 at 11:42 PM.
Old
10-31-2008, 02:47 AM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Colin Long up to 26 points in 15 games (13g/13a), tied for 2nd place in the WHL.

Anyone able to offer any more info on his potential?

mouser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2008, 06:59 AM
PhoPhan

Word is that, while Long is good in his own right, his numbers are inflated a bit from playing with Jamie Benn. It reminds me a lot of the Tyler Redenbach-Jeremy Williams combination in Swift Current a few years ago, wherein no one is quite sure who is helping whom, and ultimately neither guy is a huge impact player.

Old
11-06-2008, 08:25 PM
Kaizen

An interesting piece on Nick Ross. He appears to be turning the corner in terms of focusing on the defensive side of the game.

http://gdrinnan.blogspot.com/2008/11...t-defence.html

Old
11-07-2008, 04:22 AM
yakko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaizen View Post
An interesting piece on Nick Ross. He appears to be turning the corner in terms of focusing on the defensive side of the game.

http://gdrinnan.blogspot.com/2008/11...t-defence.html
That is a good read. Ross seems to be maturing and understanding how to play in your own zone is important. You do not have to look far to find players that had great offensive careers in major junior that did not so smoothly translate that into the NHL. On the other hand, there are a lot more players that play smart, sound defense and are able to translate that from one level to the next.

Keith Yandle dominated his way to defensiveman of the year in the CHL. He won games by himself in the QMJHL. I still think the kid has a ton of potential, but there is no doubting he has not translated that success directly into the NHL.

Derek Morris was roughly a point per game defenseman (127 points in 134 games) in major junior. He is not nearly that kind of player in the NHL. He has just been a solid defensive zone player putting up 20+ points a season that gets the puck moving the other way when his team gains possession. Now we are debating if the Coyotes can afford to resign him.

yakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2008, 02:01 PM
PhoPhan

Freshman Scott Darling is dramatically outplaying his goaltending counterpart through the first few weeks of the season. Darling is 3-1 with a GAA of 1 and a Save Percentage of .957 while Dave Wilson, a junior, is 1-2 with a 3.35 GAA and .890 SP.

Old
11-17-2008, 07:59 PM
jake1

Brett Hextall has scored in four consecutive games (4-1-5 in 10 games) and is skating on the top line at North Dakota.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlkh_O2jiEg

jake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 10:16 PM
Kaizen

Mathieu Brodeur playing in the Russia-Canada series - he might end up being a steal if he continues to develop. He appears to be a defense first guy but he chipped in with a helper tonight.

6'6 defencemen don't come along everyday - and don't bother with the DF comments -this kids gonna turn out.

http://www.lhjmq.qc.ca/lang_en/index...d_partie=20106

Old
11-17-2008, 10:22 PM
PhoPhan

I'm pretty leery about guys who can't even put up numbers in the Q, regardless of defensive ability, but I'm certainly rooting for the kid.

Old
11-18-2008, 10:07 AM
Kaizen

The position is called defenceman for a reason. Ideally a young d-man will concentrate on his defensive responsibilities and once he's exceptional at this aspect of the game he can start to look for offensive opportunities.

A bottom pairing defenceman shouldn't be concerned with putting up offensive numbers.

Old
11-18-2008, 11:30 AM
PhoPhan

That's fine, but most of the lower pairing defensemen in this league who came from the CHL put up at least marginally good numbers in juniors. The same goes for defensively-minded forwards.

Part of the reason is that, if you're a stud defensive defenseman on a good junior team, you're going to get a lot of ice time and just by default put up some points. Part of it is also because these guys just think the game on a higher level than their junior peers. There are tons of other reasons, too, but the point is, it's not a good sign for a guy to be putting up such dismal numbers.

I'm not ready to right this kid off yet, but he definitely has long odds.

Old
11-18-2008, 12:21 PM
Kaizen

A good example is Logan Stephenson. His first 3 years his numbers weren't impressive but his final junior year his numbers were vastly improved.

Logan is an ideal example for a number of reasons - at this point we don't know whether he'll be an NHL player or not. Very much like young Brodeur, if Logan continues to develop, he will play in the NHL.

I'd rather have a young defenceman whose strength is in his own end as opposed to a guy that put up numbers in junior but hasn't grasped the finer points of playing defense.

Offense is certainly not a bad thing, don't get me wrong. But there are only so many spots for the Keith Yandle's of this world and there is a need for the Ken Klee types to support the more offensively inclined blueliners.

Old
11-18-2008, 01:11 PM
PhoPhan

Honestly, Klee and Stephenson sort of support my point. Klee has never been an offensive weapon in the NHL, but he proved at Bowling Green that he could put up points, putting up 35 points in 37 games as a sophomore. Stephenson had a huge year his last in Tri-City, which is part of the reason I still have hope for Brodeur, but not even he has seemed like a guy who could make the NHL. He's another that could surprise, but as it stands, he's no higher than 10th on the Coyotes depth chart.

Old
11-18-2008, 01:51 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
If Brodeur can turn into Kurt Sauer...I would be happy with that. I'd like to see him get a bit meaner but if he can shutdown the opposition then that will do very well.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 02:20 PM
dafranchz

With both Belle and Stoner gone Logan's last year, the coached changed his role because they were missing offense. If they had enough all-round firepower that year, he would have remained in his shutdown defensive role.

dafranchz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2008, 02:25 PM
Kaizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
Honestly, Klee and Stephenson sort of support my point. Klee has never been an offensive weapon in the NHL, but he proved at Bowling Green that he could put up points, putting up 35 points in 37 games as a sophomore. Stephenson had a huge year his last in Tri-City, which is part of the reason I still have hope for Brodeur, but not even he has seemed like a guy who could make the NHL. He's another that could surprise, but as it stands, he's no higher than 10th on the Coyotes depth chart.
Semantics, laddy, semantics. This is my point, give Brodeur time and he will (or will not) develop some level of offensive ability. Defence first.

Brodeur is a project - that's why he was taken in the 3rd round. Clearly the jury is still out on Stephenson but he has alot of the tools that NHL d-men need its just a matter of whether he can put it all together.

Old
11-23-2008, 12:46 PM
Brock

Saw Jared Staal play last night in Niagara.

I thought Staal looked absolutely terrible last night. Although I would like to point out that I have seen him play a lot better. His -3 was deserved as he was at times the last guy back to the defensive zone, lumbering his big frame into the play. At 6'3 and 200lbs, he played like he was 5'6, 150. Worked little in the corners and spent most of the time circling the front of the net in hopes that one of his linemates could put a shot on net. You'd think that because of the small ice in Niagara, that his skating would not have been so obviously hindering, but it was. I felt like offensively, he was a step behind O'Dell and Lusnak all night. It was just not his best game and I'm not sure he's progressing well.

http://ohlprospects.blogspot.com/

Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 10:42 PM
Kaizen

Nick Ross had an outside shot at being named to Canada's WJC selection camp roster but didn't make the list.

Who will be representing other countries in the team's stable of prospects - Colin Long for the States.

Edit: Goncharov for Russia and Ruzicka for the Czech Republic would be eligible as '89's.

Anybody else?

Old
12-04-2008, 08:26 AM
Alberta Yote
Nice run

Colin Long didn't make the US team.

Looks like people wanting to see Coyotes' prospects can just keep eating leftover Christmas turkey instead of watching the WJC this year.

Alberta Yote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2008, 08:38 AM
ducky

I am surprised at Colin Long not making the team.

ducky is offline   Reply With Quote