HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Other Oiler tidbits.

Closed Thread

Old
07-17-2004, 09:03 AM
hockeyaddict101

vCash: 500
Other Oiler tidbits.

Rita signed his qualifying offer and is making 750,000 for those that like to keep a tab on these things.

Isbisters deal is 2.9 over two years. So 1.450 and 1.450. The reason he qualified him is that several teams were interested in trading for Isbister and Lowe didn't want to lose him for nothing.

Lowe says they would welcome the Roadrunners for one year in Edmonton but it would only be for one year, the Oilers want an WHL franchise for Edmonton.

According to Howson the Oilers are still working hard to get a lease for Ricoh and hope it can be done by early next week.

All from Matheson except for Rita's salary which is from Scott Zehr in yesterdays Sun.

For once the Journal had the better sports reporting today, mostly because Matheson had Lowe's ear for the comparables for Brewer.

EDIT

Lowe is going for long term deals for Smith and Dvorak. Matheson quotes Lowe "I would like to work out a three or four year contract with Gator"

Last edited by hockeyaddict101: 07-17-2004 at 09:12 AM.
Old
07-17-2004, 09:19 AM
mackdogs*

Great stuff spaz, thanks for the summary.

Sure looks like Smith is here to stay and that Brewer will sign a 1-year deal and be traded. I feel like that's the right move for the team.
Also glad to hear teams are interested in Brad, there's no way his salary would burden any team so they must all still be interested.

Old
07-17-2004, 09:23 AM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackdogs
Great stuff spaz, thanks for the summary.

Sure looks like Smith is here to stay and that Brewer will sign a 1-year deal and be traded. I feel like that's the right move for the team.
Also glad to hear teams are interested in Brad, there's no way his salary would burden any team so they must all still be interested.
Brewer will most likely be two years if it goes to arbitration as Lowe will pick that award. It is in the Brewer thread.

Old
07-17-2004, 09:26 AM
Seachd

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44
Isbisters deal is 2.9 over two years. So 1.450 and 1.450. The reason he qualified him is that several teams were interested in trading for Isbister and Lowe didn't want to lose him for nothing.
So seeing Isbister traded seems like a very real possibility, doesn't it? Especially with the whole Rita thing?

Old
07-17-2004, 09:28 AM
Meanashell11

I think keeping both Smith and Brewer are a good idea. I am sick of seeing us develope players then see them win stanley elsewhere.

Old
07-17-2004, 09:30 AM
hockeyaddict101

I woudn't be surprised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd
So seeing Isbister traded seems like a very real possibility, doesn't it? Especially with the whole Rita thing?
Though Lowe was quoted in that same article as thinking that Isbister can score 20.

I think Lowe holds on to Isbister, obviously teams are hoping to buy Isbister while his value is low. Lowe IMO should hold on to him unless he gets an offer than really is great and I don't see that happening.

Old
07-17-2004, 10:09 AM
Yanner39

Quote:
Rita signed his qualifying offer and is making 750,000 for those that like to keep a tab on these things.

Lowe says they would welcome the Roadrunners for one year in Edmonton but it would only be for one year, the Oilers want an WHL franchise for Edmonton.

According to Howson the Oilers are still working hard to get a lease for Ricoh and hope it can be done by early next week.

All from Matheson except for Rita's salary which is from Scott Zehr in yesterdays Sun.

For once the Journal had the better sports reporting today, mostly because Matheson had Lowe's ear for the comparables for Brewer.

EDIT

Lowe is going for long term deals for Smith and Dvorak. Matheson quotes Lowe "I would like to work out a three or four year contract with Gator"

Thanks Spaz. Yeah, this Isbister issue is very intriguing. I find it very hard to believe that some teams are actually after this guy. I think Lowe just has to say that crap. I mean, Isbister is an injury-prone, underachiever. I don't think there is a big market for players like this.

I think Smith and Dvorak will sign long-term deals. I had my reservations at first about Smith as captain, but I like the way he plays. Good mentor for players like Lynch and Greene when they will be called up.

Keep the updates coming. There is no way I'm paying for the online journal.

Old
07-17-2004, 10:18 AM
Bohologo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanashell11
I think keeping both Smith and Brewer are a good idea. I am sick of seeing us develope players then see them win stanley elsewhere.
I was thinking the same thing: wouldn't it be nice to see the Oilers maintain a cohesive core of players over a few years? Enough with the Rangers Farm Team stuff, let's see this team develop together into something besides a Rich Market Feeder Program.

Old
07-17-2004, 10:42 AM
mbam99

Send a message via MSN to mbam99
I was reading the USA today and under all the stuff it had about filing for arbitration and stuff, they had a quote from Jason Smith's agent. What he said was no they wouldn't be filing for arbitration (this was yesterday's paper) and said they are working on a long term deal with the Oilers. The kicker here is that the agent also said that they compare Jason Smith to Rob Blake. Not sure what the means as far a contract goes, but I guess we'll see in the next few days.
Jason Smith, I feel is better defensively than Blake, but not even close offensively.
Take it for what its worth.

Old
07-17-2004, 11:18 AM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. van Nostrin
Thanks Spaz. Yeah, this Isbister issue is very intriguing. I find it very hard to believe that some teams are actually after this guy. I think Lowe just has to say that crap. I mean, Isbister is an injury-prone, underachiever. I don't think there is a big market for players like this.

I think Smith and Dvorak will sign long-term deals. I had my reservations at first about Smith as captain, but I like the way he plays. Good mentor for players like Lynch and Greene when they will be called up.

Keep the updates coming. There is no way I'm paying for the online journal.
I don't find it that hard to believe. They are trying to get him for cheap, they are trying to buy low. What do they really have to risk? A few draft choices, a prospect.

That is why I believe there will not be a trade.

Old
07-17-2004, 04:51 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

IMO we should keep both Brewer and Smith. I don't think Lynch and Woywitka are ready to play signigficant minutes in the NHL yet (one more year in the AHL, that should do it), and it's not a certainty that Bergeron will be able to replicate his defensive form from the latter part of last season. Brewer plays huge minutes and I think it would be difficult to fill those minutes with the other defensemen we have on the roster. Staios and Ulanov are good depth defensemen, and Semenov might be ready to make the full-time jump, but Brewer is as reliable as it gets here. Not injury prone, fairly consistent, and still relatively young. I say keep him, unless the arbitration award is unbelievably high.

Old
07-18-2004, 09:23 AM
Yanner39

Quote:
I don't find it that hard to believe. They are trying to get him for cheap, they are trying to buy low. What do they really have to risk? A few draft choices, a prospect.

That is why I believe there will not be a trade.
I would agree with you if Isbister was a 2nd or 3rd year player. He's been the model of inconsistency since his career began. I doubt other teams are knocking down K.lo's door with serious offers.

Old
07-18-2004, 02:14 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
I would agree with you if Isbister was a 2nd or 3rd year player. He's been the model of inconsistency since his career began. I doubt other teams are knocking down K.lo's door with serious offers.
Read my post again. I didn't say great offers, I said a draft choice(s) or a prospect.

How many third round draft choices turn out (using this as an example), I would offer a third round draft pick or a mid-rank prospect for Isbister hoping that his injury woes were behind him.

If the whole idea of buying low, selling high.

Since he has had injuries it has been hard to judge what he could be be so Lowe doesn't want to take the chance and either trade him at a very low price or lose him for nothing.

It is a low risk gamble for Lowe. 1.5 million is below league average and easily fits into his budget (I understand the median salary argument but since it is not used used for CBA purposes or negotiations or for qualifying offers I consider it pointless) it is a low risk gamble.

Trading him for what he could get would be IMO not worth it.

edited for clarity.

Old
07-18-2004, 03:16 PM
Yanner39

Quote:
Read my post again. I didn't say great offers, I said a draft choice(s) or a prospect.

How many third round draft choices turn out (using this as an example), I would offer a third round draft pick or a mid-rank prospect for Isbister hoping that his injury woes were behind him.

If the whole idea of buying low, selling high.

Since he has had injuries it has been hard to judge what he could be be so Lowe doesn't want to take the chance and either trade him at a very low price or lose him for nothing.

It is a low risk gamble for Lowe. 1.5 million is below league average and easily fits into his budget (I understand the median salary argument but since it is not used used for CBA purposes or negotiations or for qualifying offers I consider it pointless) it is a low risk gamble.

Trading him for what he could get would be IMO not worth it.

edited for clarity.

Actually, I'm not really understanding what you are trying to say. How is what you're saying different than what I said? In my first post, I cleary said that I didn't think there was a market for isbister. Not right now anyways, not after last season.

In my second post, I said I doubt that Lowe was getting serious offers for Isbister, meaning offers what would make him trade Isbister you the reasons I stated. Maybe you should re-read my posts.

Old
07-18-2004, 04:53 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Actually, I'm not really understanding what you are trying to say. How is what you're saying different than what I said? In my first post, I cleary said that I didn't think there was a market for isbister. Not right now anyways, not after last season.

In my second post, I said I doubt that Lowe was getting serious offers for Isbister, meaning offers what would make him trade Isbister you the reasons I stated. Maybe you should re-read my posts.
You said he there was NO market for Isbiter, again you have repeated that point. We disagree on that a little. I think there is a market for Isbister but the offers would not be good enough for Lowe to accept trading him. Teams would be trying to get him for a low price, which mean there is a market but Lowe is not going to accept the low price that he would get for Isbister. So I believe he was getting offers, you said you thought he didn't get any.

That is why I said teams are trying to buy low. They are trying to buy Low on what they believe will be an increasing asset

The rest wasn't a comment to you but what I thinks Lowe's mind set is on this matter.

Lowe believes that Isbisters price at this moment is at an all time low and the offers he would be receiving are not worth the bother of trading him, he also believes that Isbister will be an increasing asset so did not want to either sell him at an all time Lowe or to lose that asset for nothing buy not qualifying him.

In essence he is holding on to a low value stock because he believes it will increase in value.

Last edited by hockeyaddict101: 07-18-2004 at 05:03 PM.
Old
07-19-2004, 06:52 AM
Yanner39

Quote:
You said he there was NO market for Isbiter, again you have repeated that point. We disagree on that a little. I think there is a market for Isbister but the offers would not be good enough for Lowe to accept trading him. Teams would be trying to get him for a low price, which mean there is a market but Lowe is not going to accept the low price that he would get for Isbister. So I believe he was getting offers, you said you thought he didn't get any.

That is why I said teams are trying to buy low. They are trying to buy Low on what they believe will be an increasing asset

The rest wasn't a comment to you but what I thinks Lowe's mind set is on this matter.

Lowe believes that Isbisters price at this moment is at an all time low and the offers he would be receiving are not worth the bother of trading him, he also believes that Isbister will be an increasing asset so did not want to either sell him at an all time Lowe or to lose that asset for nothing buy not qualifying him.

In essence he is holding on to a low value stock because he believes it will increase in value.
I disagree and agree with you. I still say that at this point in time, there is no market for Isbister. I believe that Lowe signed him not to lose him for nothing. Saying that a couple of teams are after him I believe is just a way to internally increase his value. In my initial post, this is what I found intriguing - what they were going to do with Isbister since they have a glut at the forward position and the fact they signed him for 2 years, not 1. I agree it's a gamble, but Lowe's committed almost $3M to this guy. I don't know if a second round pick will be worth that. Time will tell I guess.

I do agree that he's holding on to him when is value is low and unloading him when his value is high. That being said, I don't know if Isbister will ever get a adequate return in the near future, but you points are well taken. I guess you have more confidence in Isbister turning things around than me.

Closed Thread