HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Marc Denis back on the Habs soon?

Old
12-03-2008, 09:10 PM
mlandry

vCash: 500
Marc Denis back on the Habs soon?

So I read an article on RDS yesterday saying Denis was doing really well in Hamilton basicly winning games by himself. He said he was working with Melanson and that he was back in the game. He didn't say he wants to be on the Habs right now but it's obvious he wants to be.

Now I know it's only the AHL but if he's getting back in form do you think we will see him back in the NHL soon? I mean at this point we have 3 goalies that potentially deserve a spot on the team. I don't know what to think... on one hand Halak deserves to at least be back-up but Denis is a good goalie and if he really got his confidence back, he could help this team more than Halak for this season.

Are we going to be seeing a goalie traded away this season or in the off-season? I don't think Denis will want to spend more than 1 year in the AHL...

Personally I like both of our young goalies but Denis could be an asset if we make the playoffs. He could help build Price's playoff confidence (knowning he has someone experienced to lean on if he messes up). Last year I think Price was a bit scared to mess up in the playoffs because Halak was as inexperienced as he was.

But we can't just waive Halak at the end of the season if we want Denis in for the playoffs, we need to give him some NHL ice-time too. I would rather not trade him either because he is good and getting better over the years.

Do we keep our young goalies and hope they don't choke under the pressure in the playoffs or do we do the more "normal" thing and get a good young goalie with a veteran back-up.

I know in a few years having 2 experienced goalies in Price and Halak will be better than Price + Denis we are potentially good contenders for the next few years as it is. Should we still be looking in the future or concentrate on the present? Denis is still good for a few years at worst.

On the other side of the argument, who knows if Denis' confidence will hold up back in the NHL. He might just crumble in a month or 2 and sending down Halak could be a huge mistake.

So what do you think? In my opinion we are going to see a goalie dilemma soon enough if Denis keeps playing great so might as well get the opinions out there now.

mlandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 09:13 PM
le_sean

Halak>>Denis

With all of the freak injuries to goalies that have happened this year, I'd rather keep Halak who could lead this team in the same direction as Carey, whereas with Denis you have a wildcard that could flop.

le_sean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 09:14 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

The only way I see it is one of 3 scenarios...

1-one of our gaolies gets hurt
2-Halak or Denis is traded
3-Halak really struggles over a 3-4 week period

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 09:15 PM
Iwishihadacup

Denis cannot help Price in the playoff because

He never played in the NHL playoffs

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 09:18 PM
mlandry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
Denis cannot help Price in the playoff because

He never played in the NHL playoffs
Really? Well, that kills my argument. I just assumed a veteran goalie at least had some playoff experience

mlandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2008, 04:46 AM
Qui Gon Dave

Denis was better earlier in the season than he has been the past few weeks IMO. If he wants to make a strong case for getting back into the NHL, he needs to be playing like he did to start the season on a more regular basis.

As for Halak, I'd take him over Denis no matter what form he has shown so far this season.

I also doubt Price was scared to mess up in the playoffs last year because Halak is inexperienced. Price isn't going to worry about Halak because:
1 - he knows he is a good goalie
2 - he would have been focusing on his game.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2008, 05:19 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

I've only seen seven Bulldog games this year, but Denis hasn't looked as strong lately as he did early in the season.

I think over the next few weeks, Desjardins will really be given a shot to get in some extra games.

One Man Rock Band is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2008, 06:16 AM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
I think over the next few weeks, Desjardins will really be given a shot to get in some extra games.
Pending just how much extra work you are thinking of, I'd be cautious of that. CD got a shutout recently, but still looked shaky at times in that game, although I know Lever was considering getting him more ice time after that. He has plenty to work on and the Dogs schedule isn't that bad until the end of the month (4 games in 5 nights). January looks busier (something like 7 games in 11 nights at one point). For the next few weeks, I'd be more interested in seeing the team try and help Denis get back to top form and then use CD when there are lots of games in a short time, but that's just me.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2008, 06:36 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Doesn't he need to go through recall waivers?

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2008, 06:44 AM
Coldplay
Courage

Are you kidding me? From the games I've seen Denis this year, he's been as inconsistent as it gets, brutal often. He hasn't won a game on his own in a while, and frankly, he needs Roland Melanson...BAD, the guy has serious techincal issues that have to be addressed, namely lateral movement and positioning from a shot in close.

Desjardins > Denis right now IMO, and I'd take him before Marc.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2008, 06:47 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Are you kidding me? From the games I've seen Denis this year, he's been as inconsistent as it gets, brutal often. He hasn't won a game on his own in a while, and frankly, he needs Roland Melanson...BAD, the guy has serious techincal issues that have to be addressed, namely lateral movement and positioning from a shot in close.

Too bad we still didn't have Huet.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2008, 07:00 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Doesn't he need to go through recall waivers?
Nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post

I don't see it, Denis was very good early on, lately he's had some problems but Desjardins has been shaky almost his entire time in the AHL. If the Habs needed to call up a goalie, it would be Denis by a wide margin imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Halak>>Denis
For me, Halak>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Denis

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2008, 07:25 AM
LilWinger11

If Denis continues to improve, then maybe at the deadline we see Halak traded and Denis brought up. But I doubt it. Denis had technical problems, but I get the sense he has a lot of between-the-ears issues that have hindered his performance in the past. I think a full season of success in the AHL could prove to be helpful for him, but bringing him up too quickly and having him struggle would probably be the worst thing to do to the guy.

LilWinger11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2008, 07:47 AM
shealy04

As it stands right now I do not think we will see Denis this season with the Habs UNLESS Halak is packaged in a trade for another centre or dman.

shealy04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2008, 07:53 AM
xeric716x
Born To Expire

Halak>Denis

xeric716x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2008, 08:18 AM
kovalost27

Denis has huge potential. Besides the Junior Championships and a couple of seasons playing over .900, he has yet to show it.

I think if he proves himself, he will be given a second chance in the NHL by some team... Next year.

kovalost27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2008, 08:36 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Nope
Why not? Is he only on an AHL contract? So he'd have to sign an NHL contract to be called up?

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2008, 09:23 AM
Toro

The only way Denis gets called up is for an injury replacement. If Halak or Price gets injured, Denis gets the call to back up who ever is still healthy.
Like as others have said, Denis has not been consistant and he doesn't have the skill Halak does.

Halak>>>>>>>Denis

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2008, 09:25 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Why not? Is he only on an AHL contract? So he'd have to sign an NHL contract to be called up?
Doesn't make enough for recall waivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant1r View Post
Denis has huge potential. Besides the Junior Championships and a couple of seasons playing over .900, he has yet to show it.

I think if he proves himself, he will be given a second chance in the NHL by some team... Next year.
I think you mean Desjardins has huge potential, which I don't agree with personally, huge is a strong word. To me, Price has huge potential, Desjardins I don't know if he has nhl potential at this point cause the only times i've seen him in the ahl, I haven't been too impressed. granted he was really good in the echl so if he can prove himself in the ahl, then i'll change my view on him. This is based off the handful of ahl games i've seen him so far.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2008, 09:47 AM
Tusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant1r View Post
Denis has huge potential.
Yep, the curtains coming up on this kid!

Tusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2008, 10:18 AM
Sports1131

Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
Why the hell would we want Denis for the playoffs? Halak is a much better goalie...

Last edited by Sports1131: 12-04-2008 at 10:46 AM.
Sports1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2008, 10:29 AM
zurg999

Easy to say now, but I'd think Denis' might be wondering if he'd have been in a better situation if he'd signed an AHL contract vs. the 2-way contract he is currently on. I think his play has been strong enough to have warranted at least a look by a few NHL clubs by now. Now, for this season he'd have to be traded or exposed to waivers to be picked up.

I'd bet if he continues his current level of play he'll have an NHL contract again next season.

zurg999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2008, 10:32 AM
zurg999

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I think you mean Desjardins has huge potential, which I don't agree with personally, huge is a strong word. To me, Price has huge potential, Desjardins I don't know if he has nhl potential at this point cause the only times i've seen him in the ahl, I haven't been too impressed. granted he was really good in the echl so if he can prove himself in the ahl, then i'll change my view on him. This is based off the handful of ahl games i've seen him so far.
I'll second that. Lever had a good quote a few weeks ago saying Desjardins makes every save 'look spectacular'. Result being that he can look extraordinary one game but get caught several times in the next two.

Old
12-04-2008, 10:34 AM
Habs

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2008, 10:36 AM
zurg999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports1131 View Post
Why the hell would we want Danis for the playoffs? Halak is a much better goalie...
]

One vowel and one year out of date.