HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Avery Suspended

Old
12-03-2008, 09:22 PM
FerrisRox

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by peeto99 View Post
is it just me... or?

is the media to blame for this story too

they make the league look worse, then avery

you cant tell me comments haven't been recorded in the past that the media didn't publicize to this degree
It's just you.

Did you see the clip? Avery pauses, asks them if they have cameras, waits for them to power up and turn on the sun-guns then goes into it.

How can you blame the media?

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 09:27 PM
ShuttFan

This dink plays on a team, a league, a company. And this dink since April has said he's better than all of them. Including Brodeur, Bettman, Iginla, Phaneuf, the Stars.
I'm guessing the league has had enough, I'm guessing the NHLPA has had enough, I'm guessing the Stars have had enough.

I don't think the teams that Avery has not yet played for will pick him up either. The kid is done in the NHL. The apology means nothing --- too little, too late.

ShuttFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 09:28 PM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

Sloppy-seconds is more commonly defined as a "used good", second-hand, not so much the whole lubrication thing. Just thought Id put it out there, i'm not sure Avery meant it the urban dictionary way. But... maybe he did?

Beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 10:04 PM
ShuttFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrealistic View Post
Sloppy-seconds is more commonly defined as a "used good", second-hand, not so much the whole lubrication thing. Just thought Id put it out there, i'm not sure Avery meant it the urban dictionary way. But... maybe he did?
do you want to know what comes up first when you google images of "sloppy seconds"?

ShuttFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2008, 12:06 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrealistic View Post
Really? I've never actually heard that term used to describe a "used good". I've only heard it used in a negative way, similar to the way Avery used the term.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2008, 05:57 AM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haddock View Post
I love Darz's ECHL idea! The boy needs to be humbled.
The latest Duthie column

The last line takes the above idea and takes it a step further

Just please don't let him end up in the UK, hockey here has a hard time getting good press anyways and quite a few people think of fighting before skating or skill when hockey gets mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShuttFan View Post
AHL = Avery's Hockey League
In the sacred name of Gretzky, please, let's not give him his own league.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
Don Cherry was on MTV News today responding to the Avery situation. He said he didn't really want to comment on it, but he did say that it was a shame, that Avery had a lot of talent but that he just wastes it. He then basically clammed up saying he didn't want to get into it.
Well, credit to Cherry for being more restrained than I expected. Still, it wouldn't be unlike him to continue making a point long after he originally made it (be it good or bad).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShuttFan View Post
do you want to know what comes up first when you google images of "sloppy seconds"?
For the sake of decency, I'm gonna guess it's a photo of the band called Sloppy Seconds. Probably best for me not to check here at work though.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2008, 06:05 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
Don Cherry was on MTV News today responding to the Avery situation. He said he didn't really want to comment on it, but he did say that it was a shame, that Avery had a lot of talent but that he just wastes it. He then basically clammed up saying he didn't want to get into it.
I wish everyone would adopt the same attitude.

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2008, 10:56 AM
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumsyhab View Post
Avery is a *********, but wth does the NHL suspend him? I'm sure worst thing has been said on ice.

I would have love to see Iginla and Phaneuf KO him.
Ha, ha, ha! That's our very own Stanely Cup winning Brian Marshmellow Bellows in the middle of that!

Is that Kevin Steven and Brian Trottier on the Pens heckling him?

As for NHL's action, I wouldn't be a least bit surprised if Elisha Cuthbert's agent called Bettman demanding some sort of action or that they'll take some legal action against Avery and his employer, which in this case would be NHL for degrading the marketability of his client...and Cuthbert already isn't really someone who'd you call in demand these days.

David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2008, 10:58 AM
la25ecoupe

why did elisha date him? why did she broke w/ komi?

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2008, 11:00 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanylapep View Post
why did elisha date him? why did she broke w/ komi?
She wanted a a guy who's a real dick, not a guy with one.

Old
12-04-2008, 11:06 AM
Artyukhin*

Avery may need medical help, says Stars co-GM Hull

http://www.winnipegsun.com/Sports/Ho...27191-sun.html

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2008, 11:14 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
Avery may need medical help, says Stars co-GM Hull

http://www.winnipegsun.com/Sports/Ho...27191-sun.html
Hull should consider going with him. Maybe they get a group rate.

Old
12-04-2008, 11:18 AM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
imagine if they named a item on the menu of Avery

----------------------------------------------------------

Dallas Stars’ Modano, Hull and others partner up on restaurant
http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/stories/2008/12/01/story8.html?b=1228107600^1740418&brthrs=1

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2008, 03:04 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
Even Hull is shaking his head at Avery...now how bad is that??? I would like them to send him down to the ECHL and let him finish out the year down there...only then would he truly appreciate the NHL...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2008, 10:08 PM
Woland

'' I am acutely aware of how hurtful my actions were ''

Holly scripted apology Batman !!!

p.s. I would have loved to see him K.O.'d by Iginla...

Woland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 04:01 AM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woland View Post
p.s. I would have loved to see him K.O.'d by Iginla...
I'd like to see him K.O.'d by Cammalleri, see him yap his way out of that one

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 05:41 AM
Brisk-Illusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Its funny how all the bandwagon hockey analysts are condemning Avery, calling him an Idiot, Stupid.. trashing his character..insulting him..doing the exact same thing that got Avery suspended.

The hypocrisy in the NHL media is sad, and pathetic. They never spoke out this much when Simon got suspended. I just hate the double standard this league has.
I agree, people will usually choose the easy (emotional) reaction over rational thought, and are always looking for someone to blame their problems on.

May it be direct, like Dallas blaming their place in the standings on Avery, or indirect, like a fan, who blames his real-life problems on a mythical character.

He said something crude, but in perspective, its nothing important, AK got his head rammed in the boards earlier this season and his aggressor didn't even get a penalty. Avery made a 3 sec comment and all of a sudden breaking someone's feelings in worse than giving a former epileptic a concussion ?

Welcome to the NHL, the league where you might die within the rules if you don't keep your head up, but God help you if you want to say something we don't approve of.

Brisk-Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 06:53 AM
Nashy
The Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisk-Illusion View Post
I agree, people will usually choose the easy (emotional) reaction over rational thought, and are always looking for someone to blame their problems on.

May it be direct, like Dallas blaming their place in the standings on Avery, or indirect, like a fan, who blames his real-life problems on a mythical character.

He said something crude, but in perspective, its nothing important, AK got his head rammed in the boards earlier this season and his aggressor didn't even get a penalty. Avery made a 3 sec comment and all of a sudden breaking someone's feelings in worse than giving a former epileptic a concussion ?

Welcome to the NHL, the league where you might die within the rules if you don't keep your head up, but God help you if you want to say something we don't approve of.

He did more than say something crude....he crossed a line, and when your own team bails on you, you're in trouble. Even his biggest promoter Hull has hung him out to dry. He's a cancer in the room...everywhere he goes, so yeah Dallas can use him as a scapegoat.

Seriously, his actions are undefendable from any angle. You can't pooh-pooh it as a guy just making a comment, it's way more than that.

There was absolutely need for that comment to the media....on the ice fine, sure.

Avery deserves everything he gets...and then some.

Nashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 07:26 AM
Lone Rogue

Avery made disrespectful remarks, insulting towards women, directed toward co-workers, while on the job to the media.

You are telling me he shouldn't be suspended? If you ran a business and an employee was interviewed, you'd let him run his mouth about personal relationships to the camera, about co-workers or workers at a rival company? Please.

That said, the scapegoat thing never works. Remember when Ray Emery was supposed to be the center of Ottawa's problems? Or Larry Murphy was what was holding the Leafs down? How about Roy's ego in Montreal? You could mention the three Amigos, but eh.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 09:31 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
The real people to blame are the girls dumb enough to sleep with Sean Avery.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 09:54 AM
12jf54

Avery gets 6 games...(Per RDS/TSN)

Well deserved...

12jf54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 10:10 AM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashy View Post
He did more than say something crude....he crossed a line,
The entire league is built on champions crossing the line. The Hall Of Fame is decorated with players who crossed the line. Welcome to pro sports.

Quote:
and when your own team bails on you, you're in trouble. Even his biggest promoter Hull has hung him out to dry. He's a cancer in the room...everywhere he goes, so yeah Dallas can use him as a scapegoat.
I think this says more about the Dallas Stars, than Avery. I'm sickened by the people bailing on him. Nice organization that bails on a player when they do something stupid. It all looks scripted to me, I think they are relieved Sean did this so they could bail themselves out of a terrible FA signing.

Quote:
Seriously, his actions are undefendable from any angle. You can't pooh-pooh it as a guy just making a comment, it's way more than that.
I'm not saying it wasn't a poor choice of words, however, if it wasn't Elisha.. poster girl for the NHL who used to blog for them.. I doubt this gets much attention, not nearly as much.

Quote:
There was absolutely need for that comment to the media....on the ice fine, sure.
Well, I agree... but nice double standard we have here. If Avery had said it on the ice, and they punched it out.. would this have happened?

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 10:32 AM
Carbo N8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
The entire league is built on champions crossing the line. The Hall Of Fame is decorated with players who crossed the line. Welcome to pro sports.

I think this says more about the Dallas Stars, than Avery. I'm sickened by the people bailing on him. Nice organization that bails on a player when they do something stupid. It all looks scripted to me, I think they are relieved Sean did this so they could bail themselves out of a terrible FA signing.

I'm not saying it wasn't a poor choice of words, however, if it wasn't Elisha.. poster girl for the NHL who used to blog for them.. I doubt this gets much attention, not nearly as much.

Well, I agree... but nice double standard we have here. If Avery had said it on the ice, and they punched it out.. would this have happened?
Of course Hall of Famers have crossed lines at different times in their careers & some of them have been held accountable: The Rocket being just one example.

The Stars bailed on him because of this, but, also because the whole team is sick of his antics. If you think this whole thing is scripted by the Stars & that bothers you, how can you not be bothered by the way Avery staged this whole interview and delivered a very scripted non-hockey statement that most people could have lived without.

The fact is Avery chose not to do his talking on the ice and punch it out, so, he is responsible for the reaction by the league. If nothing else he should be suspended for at least 5 games just for being incredibly juvenile & stupid, imo.

Carbo N8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 11:41 AM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12jf54 View Post
Avery gets 6 games...(Per RDS/TSN)

Well deserved...
And after those six, I hope the Stars will put him on waivers.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 12:16 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbo N8 View Post
The fact is Avery chose not to do his talking on the ice and punch it out, so, he is responsible for the reaction by the league. If nothing else he should be suspended for at least 5 games just for being incredibly juvenile & stupid, imo.
The team, and league, could have put a gag order on Avery if they were so concerned about this, previous to the event. Truth is, this is good for hockey and secretly the NHL is loving the attention it is getting.

I still find it ironic, that its acceptable he can punch it out on the ice without any issue from the league whatsoever. Hurt someone's feelings and get 6 games. Can't you just see a little bit of the humor in this?

The best thing that could have happened was let them play that game, let them sort it out on the ice and watch the enormous ratings that would have followed. Fine Avery, give him a gag order and voila..its a win win.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote