HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12/04/08 NY Rangers @ Montreal 7PM EST RDS-HD, CBC-HD, MSG-HD

Closed Thread

Old
12-04-2008, 08:40 PM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MONACOBLUE View Post
Dags is this year's Sergei. He ain't going anywhere.
BTW, does anyone else think he looks almost exactly like Higgins?
Thought the same thing, just a little more bloated.

It isn't as apparent without the helmet though.

And I loved Gorges taking a run at Price at the end of the game.

Old
12-04-2008, 08:41 PM
totalrecall

vCash: 500
I predicted 4-2 habs.. boy who would have thought

amazing effort, 60 minutes

Old
mariolemieux66

Send a message via Skype™ to mariolemieux66
D'Agostini will probably stay in Montreal for that home games schedule.
The guy plays well, he an skate, he back check , finishes is cheks and man can he shoot the puck.

Old
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

3 Stars;

1. Maxim Lapierre
2. Matt D'Agostini
3. Steve Begin

Definitely would of had Kostitsyn or Kostopoulos in there instead of Begin.

Old
12-04-2008, 08:42 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
What a ****ing shot. D'Agostini, true sniper right there. Wow.

Old
12-04-2008, 08:42 PM
jeangauthier

vCash: 535
nice game...........

Old
12-04-2008, 08:43 PM
David_99

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONACOBLUE View Post
Dags is this year's Sergei. He ain't going anywhere.
BTW, does anyone else think he looks almost exactly like Higgins?
Until next year when D'Ago goes through a slump and gets put in the press box while watching Pacioretty impress. We'll be saying "MaxPak is the new D'ago!"

Old
12-04-2008, 08:44 PM
Next Best Thing*

No one said it, but isn't next game critical for D'Agostini's NHL career? If he plays well, we might have us an other full time roster player. Who does he bumb out, etc..?

Old
12-04-2008, 08:44 PM
NH Habs Fan

Solid game

Old
12-04-2008, 08:58 PM
tiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Probably both. He plays A LOT like Higgins, especially during his first year. I'm going to say Higgins has better leadership though and D'Ago may have better finish.

Higgins played a solid game tonight as well.. too bad he's suck with Kovalev.
Saying someone has better finish is like saying someone is taller than Boullion...

Old
12-04-2008, 09:04 PM
Hab-a-maniac

Habs may need to send down Sergei while we can or even Lats (or does he need to clear waivers?). That or we trade someone from the active roster but outside our grit, which we can't afford to lose, I don't see anyone (Higgins perhaps? But I would only trade him for a solid defender, no less).

Old
12-04-2008, 09:09 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
Until next year when D'Ago goes through a slump and gets put in the press box while watching Pacioretty impress. We'll be saying "MaxPak is the new D'ago!"
Yep...these boards are pretty darn funny. Last year it was Sergei who was the savior and could do no wrong. This year everyone seems to want him in the AHL.

Just like you said...next year everyone will be on D'Agostini's case, Pacioretty will be the savior...then the year after Pacioretty will go in a slump and Kristo will be the savior...and so on

Old
12-04-2008, 09:19 PM
LastRide

D'Ago will make good trade bait. Ok, you can stop throwing tomatoes now.

Old
12-04-2008, 10:58 PM
Luongo2008*

LAPIERRE, BEGIN SCORE FOR CANADIENS IN THRASHING OF RANGERS

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=2584...=topStory_main

MONTREAL - Rookie Matt D'Agostini is making the most of his chance to play in the NHL.

The 22-year-old from Sault Ste. Marie, Ont., had a goal and an assist in the Montreal Canadiens 6-2 romp over the listless New York Rangers on Thursday night, which gave him three points in as many games since he was called up from American Hockey League's Hamilton Bulldogs on Friday.

He has given coach Guy Carbonneau no reason to bring back struggling youngsters Guillaume Latendresse and Sergei Kostitsyn, who have been healthy scratches the last two games.

''I'd like to think so,'' said D'Agostini, about putting pressure on Canadiens management to keep him in the NHL. ''We're not short of guys here, so anything that will keep me in the lineup. . .

''This was a good one tonight.''

It earned him a young player's dream, being selected as first star in a game broadcast on Hockey Night In Canada, as it was the 99th anniversary of the Canadiens' founding.

''I've been waiting a couple of years, trying to squeak my way into the lineup,'' said D'Agostini, who was the Bulldogs' scoring leader before his call-up. ''It's fun to play in front of crowd like this.

''They're so passionate. Hamilton's a great place to play, but they're not passionate like they are here.''

It was also a big game for Montreal's fourth line, as Maxim Lapierre and Steve Begin each had a goal and an assist and enforcer Georges Laraque got his first two points as a Canadien.

Andrei Kostitsyn, Alex Tanguay and Robert Lang also scored for Montreal (15-6-4), which has won all three games to start its seven-game homestand and has only one regulation time loss in its last eight games.

Markus Naslund and Nigel Dawes scored for the Rangers (18-9-2), who looked to have left their legs behind after a 3-2 shootout win 24 hours earlier over the Pittsburgh Penguins. The Atlantic Division leaders have not won in regulation in five games, although three of those were shootout wins.

Goaltender Henrik Lundqvist called the performance disappointing.

''It's mind-boggling how we can be so good one period and completely fall apart the next,'' he said. ''That's why we have a long way to go to be a top team - we're just not consistent enough.''

Rangers defenceman Wade Redden left the game early in the second period and did not return. He said he tweaked a leg muscle, but the injury does not appear to be serious.

D'Agostini was called up because of injuries, but stayed even after Tanguay and Laraque returned because Kostitsyn had found himself in coach Guy Carbonneau's doghouse for undisciplined play while Latendresse was in a slump.

Carbonneau put the speedy right-winger on a line with captain Saku Koivu and sharp-shooting Andrei Kostitsyn and it has worked. Kostitsyn has a goal in each of the last three games.

''As a young player, you have the seize the chance when you get it and that's what he's doing,'' the coach said of D'Agostini. ''We were looking for a spark, some energy, and he's given us that.

''He doesn't look out of place. He has NHL speed and an NHL shot. Is that a problem for other people or for me? Of course, but it's never a problem when a player comes in and plays well and puts pressure on other people.''

For their 99th anniversary, the Canadiens wore jerseys from the year of their first Stanley Cup in 1915-16, which were a darker red than today's sweaters, as well as a different style of gloves and solid blue pants. Goalie Carey Price wore brown-coloured pads and gloves.

They seemed to like the new apparel as they shot out to a 3-0 first-period lead, outshooting New York 15-7 in the period and 39-20 overall.

Kostitsyn scored at 9:52 when he raced to the net and tipped D'Agostini's pass over Lundqvist. Lapierre shot down the right side and slipped the puck to Begin for a tap-in goal 55 seconds later on which Laraque earned his first point.

Lundqvist complained to no avail that Tom Kostopoulos was interfering with his stick as Tanguay banked his ninth of the season in off him at 17:37 after some intense checking in the Ranger zone.

Laraque got his second point as he got the puck to Begin for a shot behind the Rangers defence and Lapierre followed in to score 3:35 into the second frame.

Then the Rangers struck back, as Naslund redirected Paul Mara's wrist shot from the point in off the post for his 10th of the season on a power play at 13:02 and Dawes tapped in Nikolai Zherdev's pass on a counterattack at 18:43.

Montreal restored a three-goal edge only 49 seconds into the third period as Lang tipped in an Andrei Markov pass at the side of the net.

D'Agostini, who had a team-high six shots and nearly 16 minutes of ice time, finished it off with a goal from the slot with 50 seconds left to play.

It was also a strong game for defenceman Josh Gorges, who was plus-4, and a weak one for Naslund and Gomez, who were each minus-4.

Laraque could only smile as he was surrounded by reporters after the game.

''It's not the first time I got two points in a game,'' the veteran said. ''It's not a miracle.

''Our line wasn't scoring before, but lately it's starting to go in. We're getting to know each other.''

Canadiens captain Saku Koivu dropped the gloves with Gomez in the second period, but both were given double minors. Koivu remains without a fighting major in his career.

Notes - Rangers stars of the past Andy Bathgate, Harry Howell, Rod Gilbert, Ron Greschner and Brad Park took part in a pre-game ceremony with a handful of Canadiens old-timers to honour the long rivalry between the two Original Six clubs. . . The Canadiens, founded Dec. 4, 1909, inaugurated Centennial Plaza outside the Bell Centre on Thursday afternoon.. . Roman Hamrlik played his 1,100th NHL game and Lang his 900th for Montreal. . . Defenceman Ryan O'Byrne sat out a third game in a row for Montreal. . . Blair Betts and Dan Fritsche didn't dress for New York

Old
12-04-2008, 11:21 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
D'Agostini plays a bit like rookie Ryder. A lot actually.

Old
12-04-2008, 11:23 PM
MonacoBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kareem View Post
That was definitely my first impression of him. Good along the boards, solid defensive plays, wicked wrister, smart passing. I was very high on Ryder after that season...

Old
12-04-2008, 11:34 PM
Vinceee
Go Foreurs Go!

Send a message via MSN to Vinceee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kareem View Post
Dago has incredible speed and is a sick feeder... but i can see some similarities

Old
12-05-2008, 12:22 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

I laughed when Koivu got his second career double roughing minors. He just can't seem to get that fighting major.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinceee View Post
Dago has incredible speed and is a sick feeder... but i can see some similarities
If Higgins and Ryder have a baby, it'll be D'Agostini.

Old
12-05-2008, 12:26 AM
Chfan
HFBoards Sponsor

I find that D'Agostini has a similar game to Zednik's, maybe he's not as tough as Z. But that kinda scoring touch around the net, that speed, that quick shot although its not a hard one...

Old
12-05-2008, 03:51 AM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chfan View Post
I find that D'Agostini has a similar game to Zednik's, maybe he's not as tough as Z. But that kinda scoring touch around the net, that speed, that quick shot although its not a hard one...
Are you talking about D'Agostini or Zednik with that bit in bold? It sounds like you are saying that about D'Ago.

The kid can shoot 100mph shots.

He can score on wristers from above the circles (which he did last night, he did in Hamilton earlier this year and has done so in previous seasons).

Question: How much harder do you want him to shoot the freakin' puck?

Old
12-06-2008, 03:09 AM
FinnoHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
I laughed when Koivu got his second career double roughing minors. He just can't seem to get that fighting major.
Little known fact: Saku does in fact have a fighting major. Not in the NHL, but from a scuffle with an NHL player though.

In December 1994 Ted Donato was playing for TuTo, the hometown rivals of the club that Saku grew up playing for (TPS Turku). Saku and Ted Donato both got 5 minutes and a game misconduct for fighting. I was there.

Old
12-06-2008, 05:56 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnoHab View Post
Little known fact: Saku does in fact have a fighting major. Not in the NHL, but from a scuffle with an NHL player though.

In December 1994 Ted Donato was playing for TuTo, the hometown rivals of the club that Saku grew up playing for (TPS Turku). Saku and Ted Donato both got 5 minutes and a game misconduct for fighting. I was there.
donato used to play for the bruins too... yep, saku was a true hab before he even played an nhl game

Closed Thread