HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Kovalev Buying into the System?

Old
12-05-2008, 07:45 AM
danboulie

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to danboulie
Kovalev Buying into the System?

I was at the game last night, so I don't know if it was quite as visible to those who watched on TV, but I really think this game might have been a turn around for Kovalev. Either that or I just haven't noticed the little things he does.
Last night at one point, Hamrlik pinched in, but the puck got past him. Kovy was the first guy back to cover him. Then at another point (may have been a PP) he had the puck and was knocked down but still managed to knock the puck away keep the play in their zone alive. It just seems like last night he was doing all those little things that proves he really cares and wants to win. Think he's a changed man and is going to start being a force for the Habs again this year, or has he been doing these little things all along and I've just never noticed?

Also, anyone see Kosto out there last night? Easily the most dangling he's ever done in his career.

danboulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 07:57 AM
axman88

I've noticed him covering up on defense for a while now...it's nothing new

axman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 08:06 AM
Lone Rogue

The whole team is buying into a new system. WTK crediting it to Komisarek being behind the bench is silly but the team is playing like a team again.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 08:33 AM
Iwishihadacup

Kosto>>>>> Kovalev

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 08:49 AM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
Kosto>>>>> Kovalev
OK I enferstand why you pick Kosto but c'mon. Seriously, Kovy has played decent and is getting stronger and stronger out there. Kudos to Kosto and suport Kovy at the same time from me

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 09:03 AM
Judge Sauer*

He's been doing it for some time now, he really emerged last season when his PK time increased. He's still doing it but a bunch of people are more intent on bashing him for not scoring a basketful of goals.

Judge Sauer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 09:08 AM
Habitants

well maybe he has played better, but i have noted a definite change in the entire team. their puck movement throught the neutral zone is quick and swift. smart passes tips, its reall a change since3 the last 3 games! i also noticed the same trend in the offensive zone last ngiht. much smarter and quick passing, creating more opportunities. they look more dangerous. hopefully they keep it up

Habitants is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 09:33 AM
Pascal

Kovy did less 1 on 4 plays and more passing last night.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 09:39 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
The whole team is buying into a new system. WTK crediting it to Komisarek being behind the bench is silly but the team is playing like a team again.
lol...that's because he hates Carbo so much. That even when he does something that he should receive credit for. WTK will always find a way to get around that fact.

As for Kovalev, I haven't really had a problem with his effort so far this year. I think it's more of a confidence issue and when things aren't going well, he presses too hard to make that perfect play.

The last few games though, I've noticed that he's trying to play a more simple game. Which is the best way for him to get out of his slump.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 09:47 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
lol...that's because he hates Carbo so much. That even when he does something that he should receive credit for. WTK will always find a way to get around that fact.

As for Kovalev, I haven't really had a problem with his effort so far this year. I think it's more of a confidence issue and when things aren't going well, he presses too hard to make that perfect play.

The last few games though, I've noticed that he's trying to play a more simple game. Which is the best way for him to get out of his slump.
Actually, I said it was a stroke of genius by Carbonneau to put him behind the bench.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 09:53 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Actually, I said it was a stroke of genius by Carbonneau to put him behind the bench.
Nice try, I read your post and you totally deflected any praise away from Carbo for developing a successful system. True you gave him credit for putting Komisarek behind the bench, but it was a back hand compliment.

I don't mind if you or anyone else bashes Carbo. He's done a lot of things that I don't agree with either. It's when posters can't forget their hate for a few seconds and give credit where credit is due.

Komisarek behind the bench is not the reason we are playing better. No more than that freaking tie was last year.

Old
12-05-2008, 09:56 AM
WeThreeKings

Quote:
Nice try, I read you're post and you totally deflected any praise away from Carbo for developing a successful system. True you gave him credit for that, but it was a back hand compliment.

I don't mind if you or anyone else bashes Carbo. He's done a lot of things that I don't agree with either. It's when posters can't forget their hate for a few seconds and give credit where credit is due.

Komisarek behind the bench is not the reason we are playing better. No more than that freaking tie was last year.
It wasn't a back-hand compliment. He took a situation where Doug Jarvis lost his father and found a way to turn it into a positive for his team. He got a big member fo their family, Komisarek, behind the bench. Working as a coach, maybe not as intricately as Jarvis, Muller and Carbonneau do, but he's in their position. He see's what they have to do, the time they have to make decisions, the kinds of decisions they have to make. Then Komisarek goes into the locker room with his players, being a liaison and communicating the difficulties of the jobs of the coaching staff. The team then gets a sense of new respect for what the coaching staff does and what their job entails and they are more willing to play within the system. A system developed and thought out by Carbonneau. How is that saying anything but putting the blame on the team now for not playing within the system and respecting the coaching staff earlier for what style of game they are trying to implement?

Old
12-05-2008, 09:57 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

I'm truly hoping that he's buying into the system. He had his best season playing that system last year from start to finish. I know that he and Carbonneau aren't always on the same wave length but the sooner Kovy realizes that he's not going to get Carbo fired and starts buying into the system like everyone else, the better for him and ultimately for the team. Here's hoping for the Kovalev from last year from here on end.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 10:06 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
It wasn't a back-hand compliment. He took a situation where Doug Jarvis lost his father and found a way to turn it into a positive for his team. He got a big member fo their family, Komisarek, behind the bench. Working as a coach, maybe not as intricately as Jarvis, Muller and Carbonneau do, but he's in their position. He see's what they have to do, the time they have to make decisions, the kinds of decisions they have to make. Then Komisarek goes into the locker room with his players, being a liaison and communicating the difficulties of the jobs of the coaching staff. The team then gets a sense of new respect for what the coaching staff does and what their job entails and they are more willing to play within the system. A system developed and thought out by Carbonneau. How is that saying anything but putting the blame on the team now for not playing within the system and respecting the coaching staff earlier for what style of game they are trying to implement?
Nice post. I don't know if it's related, but I just looked out the window and saw three pigs flying by.
(just kidding, WTK)

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 10:08 AM
Russeltown

Quote:
Nice try, I read your post and you totally deflected any praise away from Carbo for developing a successful system. True you gave him credit for putting Komisarek behind the bench, but it was a back hand compliment.

But.... the tie was there last night. The guy who bought it was wearing it last night.

Russeltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 10:29 AM
WeThreeKings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gros Bill View Post
Nice post. I don't know if it's related, but I just looked out the window and saw three pigs flying by.
(just kidding, WTK)
Well, I was at McPhee's farm and his pigs were pissing me off. I punted three of 'em quite far. McPhee was fortunately only looking out for the safety of his goats.

Old
12-05-2008, 10:32 AM
neofury*

I've felt strongly about Kosto being underrated and needing to be brought up to a higher line since I saw him, but last years playoffs sealed the deal for me. He's like a more talented version of any of the 4th liners on our team. Personally, i do think he could become a 50pt guy in his career, he just needs a team that will give him the chance.

Future mini-Lucic is what I see in Kosto.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 10:38 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
So now after all of this time you're stepping forward and admitting that Carbo does possess the knowledge to develop a successful system?

After months and months of letting us all know at every opportunity that Carbo is an idiot and doesn't have the slightest clue how to run a successful team.

So like I said, yes you did give Carbo some credit for bringing Komisarek on the bench. Allowing the players a better view of the system that Carbo developed. But it's a system you never believed in, developed from a coach you dont like.

So how does Komisarek breaking it down for the players make it any different? The system is the same, and the players have admitted that things haven't changed since the beginning of the season.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 12-05-2008 at 10:43 AM.
Old
12-05-2008, 10:38 AM

I did notice this about Kovalev last night...since the beginning of the year, when the puck got to him on his right wing, it wouldn't come back until Kovalev had beated enough players for his liking. Last night, when he would get the puck in the neutral zone flat footed, he either dumped it in the corner or gave it to Higgins on the left.

That's how he has to play...when he tries to do it all by himself, he gets in trouble because his linemates just watch him skate around.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 10:40 AM
Kingbobert
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
I've felt strongly about Kosto being underrated and needing to be brought up to a higher line since I saw him, but last years playoffs sealed the deal for me. He's like a more talented version of any of the 4th liners on our team. Personally, i do think he could become a 50pt guy in his career, he just needs a team that will give him the chance.

Future mini-Lucic is what I see in Kosto.
umm i love tom-ko more than anyone out there.
however 50 points? sorry cant see it happening....i think he could peak in the 30s...but he's the player that can get 0 points and be useful

and a mini-lucic...not happening...licic is a better fighter, scorer, skater...tom-ko

that being said tom-ko has to stay...

Kingbobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 10:43 AM
Kingbobert
HFBoards Sponsor

to me kovy this year is a defensive force more than anything...

while he's not as stellar offensively, his ability to read a play has made him great defensively

Kingbobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 10:50 AM
WeThreeKings

Quote:
So now after all of this time you're stepping forward and admitting that Carbo does possess the knowledge to develop a successful system?

After months and months of letting us all know at every opportunity that Carbo is an idiot and doesn't have the slightest clue how to run a successful team.

So like I said, yes you did give Carbo some credit for bringing Komisarek on the bench. Allowing the players a better view of the system that Carbo developed. But it's a system you never believed in, developed from a coach you dont like.

So how does Komisarek breaking it down for the players make it any different? The system is the same, and the players have admitted that things haven't changed since the beginning of the season.
I've said so many things about Carbonneau because I don't like him as a coach. That hasn't changed, I don't think he's a very good coach. There are times he has to use a time out when he doesn't. I think he doesn't do a great job of calming the team down when one goal spirals into two, like we saw in Atlanta.

However, what I believe my point was, not that the system was bad (but no doubt, there may have been circumstances when I said that) but was that if Carbonneau has a system that works, he has to be able to make his players buy into it and implement it. The coaches job is to have a system and have his players within it. What my point was always meant to be that his job as a coach is to do that and if he can't do that, then he's not doing his job. Just like his job is to communicate to his players and motivate them, something I think he still needs a lot of work on to improve his prowess in that department.

The point I'm making about Komisarek being behind the bench is what I'm calling the turning point. Like you said, the system hasn't changed since the beginning of the season. All I'm saying is having a core member of the team seeing things from the coaching staff's perspective and bringing it to the players allowed them to respect their job and understand that they have to play and implement the system designed by the coaching staff to be a successful hockey team. Is it a coencidence that the team has started to play better hockey as of late since Komisarek has been behind the bench? Perhaps it is, or maybe my theory is correct and now the players have valuable insight from a leader on the team, that the coaching staff has a tough job and they have to respect and work harder for them.

Of course that doesn't diminish other possible factors, playing for Jarvis who's lost his father. Playing better because of two big benchings in Latendresse and Sergei. Also insecurities for their positions on the team since D'Agostini has come up, played well and provided a spark. But it's not just the determination in the play, it's the system being executed how I'm sure it was developed and designed as a coaching staff.

Don't confuse me with any senseless basher. I give credit when it's due. I won't hide my hatred for Carbonneau and I'll let it be known when I don't agree with any of his decisions. However, if he can continue to motivate, keep the team on its toes, keep them playing in a system and keeps them winning hockey games, then I can't complain.

Old
12-05-2008, 10:56 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
I've said so many things about Carbonneau because I don't like him as a coach. That hasn't changed, I don't think he's a very good coach. There are times he has to use a time out when he doesn't. I think he doesn't do a great job of calming the team down when one goal spirals into two, like we saw in Atlanta.

However, what I believe my point was, not that the system was bad (but no doubt, there may have been circumstances when I said that) but was that if Carbonneau has a system that works, he has to be able to make his players buy into it and implement it. The coaches job is to have a system and have his players within it. What my point was always meant to be that his job as a coach is to do that and if he can't do that, then he's not doing his job. Just like his job is to communicate to his players and motivate them, something I think he still needs a lot of work on to improve his prowess in that department.

The point I'm making about Komisarek being behind the bench is what I'm calling the turning point. Like you said, the system hasn't changed since the beginning of the season. All I'm saying is having a core member of the team seeing things from the coaching staff's perspective and bringing it to the players allowed them to respect their job and understand that they have to play and implement the system designed by the coaching staff to be a successful hockey team. Is it a coencidence that the team has started to play better hockey as of late since Komisarek has been behind the bench? Perhaps it is, or maybe my theory is correct and now the players have valuable insight from a leader on the team, that the coaching staff has a tough job and they have to respect and work harder for them.

Of course that doesn't diminish other possible factors, playing for Jarvis who's lost his father. Playing better because of two big benchings in Latendresse and Sergei. Also insecurities for their positions on the team since D'Agostini has come up, played well and provided a spark. But it's not just the determination in the play, it's the system being executed how I'm sure it was developed and designed as a coaching staff.

Don't confuse me with any senseless basher. I give credit when it's due. I won't hide my hatred for Carbonneau and I'll let it be known when I don't agree with any of his decisions. However, if he can continue to motivate, keep the team on its toes, keep them playing in a system and keeps them winning hockey games, then I can't complain.
Hatred is such a strong word. Makes you seem unreasonable and biased.

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 11:20 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Personally I would never put you in the "senseless basher" category. "Over the top, Drama Queen" category maybe.

But seriously, I see what you're saying. But the way you worded it in your original post. Made it seem like it was Komisarek who after being put behind the bench. Took control of the situation and was the reason behind the teams turn around.

I saw it as a shot at not only Carbo. But the rest of the coaching staff for not being able to communicate with the players. When I've heard/read several comments from the players stating that they just didn't follow through on what they were told.

Example: Higgins coming out and stating that with a lead, Carbo tells the players to continue a strong fore check. While it's the players themselves that decide to play a more defensive style.

If what you said is correct and Komisarek being behind the bench has allowed the players a closer look into what the coaching staff goes through. Then it's the players that should be blamed for not listening to the coach, and not the coach for not supplying the knowledge needed to win hockey games.