HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Panthers Waive Wade Belak

Old
12-04-2008, 11:28 PM
zeroG

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoste View Post
No doubt now that this move by Martin did indeed spark the team in one way or the other, no matter how you slice it (the waive of Belak or the actually trade).

Since the waive of Belak = 5-0-2 record in six games, 10 of 12 points.

Since the trade of Belak = 3-0-1 record in four games, 7 of 8 points.

-ghoste
yeah, definitely was a good move but i think the success we're seeing now is a confluence of many factors, including the injuries to "stars", necessitating the callups of matthias and mcardle (who've played well), the play of andy and the subsequent development of somewhat of an identity. nasty has contributed waaay more than belak every could but i don't think waiving or trading belak alone can explain what we're seeing now.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2008, 11:47 PM
CanadianPantherFan

Belak was/is highly overated player. Typical of a former Leaf player who's never done anything. Tired of talking about him.

CanadianPantherFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 07:28 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoste View Post
No doubt now that this move by Martin did indeed spark the team in one way or the other, no matter how you slice it (the waive of Belak or the actually trade).

Since the waive of Belak = 5-0-2 record in six games, 10 of 12 points.

Since the trade of Belak = 3-0-1 record in four games, 7 of 8 points.

-ghoste
I agree more with ZeroG, but I like having Nasty here. I don't like not having a true enforcer on the team, but I like the way Nasty's played. He can at least throw em and has been great on the energy line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
yeah, definitely was a good move but i think the success we're seeing now is a confluence of many factors, including the injuries to "stars", necessitating the callups of matthias and mcardle (who've played well), the play of andy and the subsequent development of somewhat of an identity. nasty has contributed waaay more than belak every could but i don't think waiving or trading belak alone can explain what we're seeing now.
Good quote, I'm not looking forward to Nate coming back, unless he sees the team's success as challenge enough for him to be motivated. I don't like speaking to a guy's motivation or anything, but he tends to leave a lot to be desired in my eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianPantherFan View Post
Belak was/is highly overated player. Typical of a former Leaf player who's never done anything. Tired of talking about him.
Then...don't talk about him. How's Belak "overrated?" He's a fighter who does a good job at it. The fact that noone really wanted to fight him, other than Boogaard who he beat, puts his "rating" at right about where it should be.

12-05-2008, 08:28 AM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Then...don't talk about him. How's Belak "overrated?" He's a fighter who does a good job at it. The fact that noone really wanted to fight him, other than Boogaard who he beat, puts his "rating" at right about where it should be.
This is the only thing I dislike about losing Belak - I like the Panthers having one of the toughest hombres in the league, which they haven't had since Laus got hurt.

That said, Belak's shortcoming is that he didn't play nasty enough to force the other team's tough guy to fight him. Maybe it's partly him, maybe partly DeBoer not using him right, but if the other team is taking liberties with your skill players and their tough guy (nor anyone else) will fight your enforcer, you have to put your enforcer on the ice to take runs at the other team's skill guys. The best enforcer is also a pest and just a little dirty so that he's viewed as a villain as well. Belak didn't do that - he only fought willing opponents, and did nothing to force their hands when they weren't willing. So in that way he failed. Cheap shots were still taken on the Panther's skill forwards, but in no way did Belak punish them for it.

12-05-2008, 08:49 AM
Laus723
Future Now

This is what Belak didn't do, which did frustrate me. He did with Boogaard when he popped Boynton and did make his presence known a few times, but I love that Godard went right over to Orr. While I'm warming up to, and enjoying to a point, Tarnasky, I wish we would have picked up Cam Janssen. He can at least fight the heavies, on top of everything else that Tarnasky does.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 09:25 AM
harv3317

belak did nothing for this team. he was a good guy and didn't force the issue on the ice. if your an enforcer you don't give guys a choice. you do what you have to to get the desired results. you don't just ask them and if they decline walk away. you force the issue which belak didn't!!!! he also didn't agitate and was miserable for everything else. i like tarnasky. he's nasty and aggresive and does an energy job. so far he's been effective, but i would rather have a janssen, or someone who can take a regular shift and fight as well!!!
tbs, i'm happy with nasty. we knew what we were getting and he's definitely filling his role!!!!
big upgrade over belak imo.

harv3317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 09:34 AM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by harv3317 View Post
belak did nothing for this team. he was a good guy and didn't force the issue on the ice. if your an enforcer you don't give guys a choice. you do what you have to to get the desired results. you don't just ask them and if they decline walk away. you force the issue which belak didn't!!!! he also didn't agitate and was miserable for everything else. i like tarnasky. he's nasty and aggresive and does an energy job. so far he's been effective, but i would rather have a janssen, or someone who can take a regular shift and fight as well!!!
tbs, i'm happy with nasty. we knew what we were getting and he's definitely filling his role!!!!
I'd still prefer seeing a real enforcer filling Tarnasty's role. He's a great agitator, but he can't swing with the heavies, which may hurt the team down the road. Dunno - maybe the threat of having a guy who'll take after your top players will keep other teams honest more than having someone to deal with a team's enforcer. We'll see.

Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 09:38 AM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Race against NINE View Post
I'd still prefer seeing a real enforcer filling Tarnasty's role. He's a great agitator, but he can't swing with the heavies, which may hurt the team down the road. Dunno - maybe the threat of having a guy who'll take after your top players will keep other teams honest more than having someone to deal with a team's enforcer. We'll see.
you mean the one time every 2 months it would even be an option?

remains to be seen if/how this will alter the intimidation tactics but if early reports are any indication, this seems to be a better lineup in every sense. we just took 3 of 4 points in a home and home with the rangers, who dress a couple of massive guys that can throw 'em and we controlled the physical play (and stewie held his own when he dropped the gloves).

Old
12-05-2008, 10:07 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by harv3317 View Post
You can't "force the issue" anymore, he'd get an instigator penalty and would hurt the team. Problem with Wade is that he didn't seem to push guys and waited for guys to come to him, which is what made me wary when we got him, but I was ecstatic to have him and wish he was still here.

Again, a guy like Cam Janssen (who we all hate when the Panthers play against him), is exactly what this team should have gotten. Besides, he wouldn't be owning the Panthers anymore at that point, either.

Old
12-05-2008, 10:09 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
you mean the one time every 2 months it would even be an option?

remains to be seen if/how this will alter the intimidation tactics but if early reports are any indication, this seems to be a better lineup in every sense. we just took 3 of 4 points in a home and home with the rangers, who dress a couple of massive guys that can throw 'em and we controlled the physical play (and stewie held his own when he dropped the gloves).
Stewart seems to be gaining confidence in the agressive area. He's really throwing himself around out there and doesn't seem to be afraid to mix it up a bit. Would like to see him turn into the team's McCarty-type guy. Someone who adds to the game offensively and adds to it in an enforcer-type role as well.

Old
12-05-2008, 10:21 AM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Stewart seems to be gaining confidence in the agressive area. He's really throwing himself around out there and doesn't seem to be afraid to mix it up a bit. Would like to see him turn into the team's McCarty-type guy. Someone who adds to the game offensively and adds to it in an enforcer-type role as well.
i agree, though i have to say i was a bit disappointed in his game last night. he looked tentative again; wasn't as decisive with the puck, lost it a few times, wasn't as aggressive with the body. this after pdb said he played his "best game" vs washington.

i agree though that he could be a big piece of the puzzle. i think trying to shoehorn him into the "enforcer" role is not a good idea (and frankly, a waste of his abilities) but he can be one of the big pieces of a "team toughness" approach. i think that's what JM had in mind last year. stewie just didn't have the confidence to handle the responsibility yet.

Old
12-05-2008, 10:30 AM
Bure1096

Send a message via AIM to Bure1096
Tarnasky is rubbing off of Mcardle and Stewart. I like it. The line created a lot if problems for the Sabres last night and his everything! That's a checking line!

Bure1096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 10:39 AM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bure1096 View Post
Tarnasky is rubbing off of Mcardle and Stewart. I like it. The line created a lot if problems for the Sabres last night and his everything! That's a checking line!
i really like what nasty has brought to the team but that is a bit unfair to stewie (and probably mcardle as well). stewie's been playing well all season.

Old
12-05-2008, 10:41 AM
Bure1096

Send a message via AIM to Bure1096
Stewart I noticed loses concentration at points in the game. He loses the puck on a shoot in or when he goes to shoot. He needs to settle down and just play. Olesz played an alright game last night. I think both of them need to just relax. This whole team seems like they are playing with some urgency, but it is calm and collected. Look at the past 3-4 games. The defense couldn't be better right now.

Bure1096 is offline   Reply With Quote