HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rangers post Jagr have an Identity Crisis

Old
12-05-2008, 11:53 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

vCash: 500
The Rangers post Jagr have an Identity Crisis

Really what is the Identity of this team? Is the inconsistency just a symptom of a team struggling to discover who they are?

Of course there were struggles with Jagr too at times but it was clearly Jagrs team.

Is this just a meh personality of a team with a great goaltender?

12-05-2008, 11:55 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
It's Henrik's team. Our identity is that we're a poor offensive club that plays good and at times great defense. A 7th-seed type of team.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 11:56 AM
tjs252

Listen, I would fly to Russia, pack Jagr's bags, drive him to the airport and put him on a jet to NY.

BUT

We had this identity problem last year. Were we a good defensive team? Were we an offensive team with Drury, Gomez, Jagr, Shanahan and Straka?

The "guy" last year and this year has been Henrik. It was his team last year, it's his team this year. If you're looking for the alpha dog, it's Henrik. If you're looking for a style of play, we had identity issues last year too. It basically stems from Renny implementing a style that doesn't work with the personnel Sather has signed.

tjs252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 12:06 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Similar to Buffalo... a soldiers team

Or the Devils a soldiers team with a great goaltender....

Except when the Devils were really all that I always felt that teams identity stemmed more from Stevens and Nieds

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 12:23 PM
Banks3rdLineCenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
It's Henrik's team. Our identity is that we're a poor offensive club that plays good and at times great defense. A 7th-seed type of team.
The only game this season in which Henrik didn't have to play like Superman for us to get a win was this week's game against Pittsburgh. That was the best TEAM defensive performance of the season for us.

If your goalie has to play like a God, night in and night out, just to eke out a couple of shootout wins, I do not consider that to be a team that plays "great defense." We are a weak offensive team, a decent defensive team at best and we have one of the top three goaltenders in the world.

Banks3rdLineCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 12:24 PM
coolbean04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post

Except when the Devils were really all that I always felt that teams identity stemmed more from Stevens and Nieds
I actually don't think we're a soldiers team at all.

coolbean04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 12:34 PM
TheSchwab

Send a message via MSN to TheSchwab
Go back to the lines when they were 7-0

TheSchwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 12:49 PM
Shake and Bake

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSchwab View Post
Go back to the lines when they were 7-0
That would be great if they actually were 7-0

(5-0...sorry had to be that guy)

Shake and Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 12:50 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyZ View Post
The only game this season in which Henrik didn't have to play like Superman for us to get a win was this week's game against Pittsburgh. That was the best TEAM defensive performance of the season for us.

If your goalie has to play like a God, night in and night out, just to eke out a couple of shootout wins, I do not consider that to be a team that plays "great defense." We are a weak offensive team, a decent defensive team at best and we have one of the top three goaltenders in the world.
Agreed.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 12:54 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
This is all because the rebuild has been a flop. We sucked for 7 years and we get Staal and Dubinsky as the prizes? I'm not counting Hank, he was property before Sather started the rebuild. Any team that goes through a rebuild and have 3 flop 1st round picks it's not a good thing.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 01:04 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

But didnt most people think everything would be just great with a "balanced attack"

Thats the phrase I kept hearing in the offseason..."balanced attack"

Unfortunately, we have a bunch of players suited for the second line or lower. Theres zero top end talent on this team...none...and that includes Zherdev.

Our superstar is our goaltender.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 01:07 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
This is all because the rebuild has been a flop. We sucked for 7 years and we get Staal and Dubinsky as the prizes? I'm not counting Hank, he was property before Sather started the rebuild. Any team that goes through a rebuild and have 3 flop 1st round picks it's not a good thing.
The rebuild has not been a "flop" and it is ridiculous for you to say that.

It has yielded a lot of good players...the problem is this team needs someone great up front.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 01:14 PM
Radek27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post

It has yielded a lot of good players...the problem is this team needs someone great up front.
Where are the a lot of good players that we drafted for sucking for 8 years? Seriously since the whole thing started with trading away everyone back then, who has Sather drafted thats so awesome? Staal? Dubinsky? These are the gems of 7 years of suckage? If it was so great why are we still overpaying players to come play here?

We said we could start to fairly judge the rebuild in 4-5 years, well we are getting to that point now. I think another gm would have done a much better job, thats just my opinion.

Old
12-05-2008, 01:24 PM
MikeyLikesHockey

Identity is defined by the Coach. Its up to him to them all rowing in the same direction. Sometimes that isn't even enough.

Get a decent power play going and we become a 1337 C0n73nd3r.

MikeyLikesHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 01:43 PM
coolbean04

Quote:
Where are the a lot of good players that we drafted for sucking for 8 years? Seriously since the whole thing started with trading away everyone back then, who has Sather drafted thats so awesome? Staal? Dubinsky? These are the gems of 7 years of suckage? If it was so great why are we still overpaying players to come play here?

We said we could start to fairly judge the rebuild in 4-5 years, well we are getting to that point now. I think another gm would have done a much better job, thats just my opinion.
I'll answer you question. I'll start with the 2001 draft since you don't want to include Lundqvist in 2000.

2001:

1. Blackburn - Freak Injury, what can you do?
2. Tyutin - A nice player, got us Zherdev
6. Zidlicky - Has some great NHL #'s for a 6th rounder
8. Hollweg - Made the NHL

2002:

2. Falardeau - Our first pick was a 2nd rounder. A Bust.
8. Prucha - Is a huge success just making it to the NHL

2003:

1. Jessiman - A HUGE bust
2. Baranka - Still an NHL prospect that can make the NHL
5. Dawes - Is a nice player for being a 5th rounder

2004:

1. Montoya - Emergency pick. We didn't know what Lundqvist would've been an all-star and panicked due to Blackburn's injury.

I think he could've been a nice NHL goalie if we didn't stunt his growth.

1. Korpikoski - A nice prospect, can develop into a solid player
2. Byers - Still an NHL prospect, probably won't live up to being a solid player for a 2nd round pick.

2. Dubinsky - Need I say more?

4. Callahan - Nice NHL player

2005:

1. Staal - Need I say more?
2. Sauer - Still a nice prospect
2. Cliche - Got us Avery who helped turn this team around

2006:

1. Sanguinetti - Solid prospect
2. Anisimov - Solid Prospect

2007:

1. Cherepanov - Solid prospect that ended with tragedy.
- Draft too recent to judge the rest.

2008:

1. Del Zotto - Solid prospect.

Summary:

We have actually had solid drafts, especially in the later rounds.

Lets just talk about the 1st round picks.

In 8 drafts we have had 8 1st round picks.

2 - Led to freak injury and Death, nothing you can do.
3 - Solid prospects still (Sang, DZ, Korpedo)
1 - Franchise player - Staal.
2 - Busts - Jessiman & Montoya. Montoya is understandable since we panicked. We felt we had no goalie once Blackburn got hurt.

So really, you have 1 true bust in 8 drafts. You also can't forget about the success in later rounds.

8 drafts =

Tyutin = Zherdev
Zidlicky - Succeeded not as a Ranger
Prucha
Dawes
Korpedo
Dubinsky
Callahan
Staal

Solid Prospects

Sang
Anisimov
Del Zotto

Still be NHL regulars

Byers
Sauer

So that's 13 players making the NHL while also having two tragedies to 1st round picks in Blackburn & Cherepanov.

I rate our draft success an B+

coolbean04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 01:56 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post

spot on......thats the perfect team too.....no real superstars.....great depth....the rangers IMO have less scoring depth but much better defensive depth than that team

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 02:00 PM
Alcapwn89

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
spot on......thats the perfect team too.....no real superstars.....great depth....the rangers IMO have less scoring depth but much better defensive depth than that team
Two completely different styles of play, however. There's really no similarity's between the two teams...

Alcapwn89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 02:13 PM
2 Late 2 Anton

Send a message via AIM to 2 Late 2 Anton Send a message via MSN to 2 Late 2 Anton
I really think the Ranger's have zero excuses for being a ****** offensive team. You have guys like Prucha, Dawes and Callahan, who are the types of guys who are made better by the players around them, and the players around them are Zherdev, Dubinsky, Gomez and Drury, why can't any of them produce? And Rissmiller, he's a great choice for secondary (or tertiary) scoring. On a team with this much offensive talent, he should be able to at least get a shot at the team, and if he does get a shot, he should be able to produce. Then we have the utlity guys like Betts, Orr and Sjostrom. Seriously, why can't this team score goals? They have no excuses. They have, in my opinion, one of the best spreads of offensive talent in the east. There aren't any bonafide superstars on offense, but there's a lot of players who are capable of at least thirty points a year, and more that are capable of 40, 50 and 60+.

2 Late 2 Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 02:17 PM
levski87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Mowinckel View Post
I really think the Ranger's have zero excuses for being a ****** offensive team. You have guys like Prucha, Dawes and Callahan, who are the types of guys who are made better by the players around them, and the players around them are Zherdev, Dubinsky, Gomez and Drury, why can't any of them produce? And Rissmiller, he's a great choice for secondary (or tertiary) scoring. On a team with this much offensive talent, he should be able to at least get a shot at the team, and if he does get a shot, he should be able to produce. Then we have the utlity guys like Betts, Orr and Sjostrom. Seriously, why can't this team score goals? They have no excuses. They have, in my opinion, one of the best spreads of offensive talent in the east. There aren't any bonafide superstars on offense, but there's a lot of players who are capable of at least thirty points a year, and more that are capable of 40, 50 and 60+.

Exactly. No bonafide stars, but the team has talent. It's the defensive system that holds them back so damn much. It kills the transition game along with any sort of offensive game. Once we enter the offensive zone, we don't know what to do. How many shots on goal can you say we have that are not off the rush, but are generated from the cycle?

levski87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 02:17 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Identity crisis? I dont think so.

I think its a case of what style they should play, not what style they are playing.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 02:57 PM
Radek27

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbean04 View Post
I'll answer you question. I'll start with the 2001 draft since you don't want to include Lundqvist in 2000.

2001:

1. Blackburn - Freak Injury, what can you do?
2. Tyutin - A nice player, got us Zherdev
6. Zidlicky - Has some great NHL #'s for a 6th rounder
8. Hollweg - Made the NHL

2002:

2. Falardeau - Our first pick was a 2nd rounder. A Bust.
8. Prucha - Is a huge success just making it to the NHL

2003:

1. Jessiman - A HUGE bust
2. Baranka - Still an NHL prospect that can make the NHL
5. Dawes - Is a nice player for being a 5th rounder

2004:

1. Montoya - Emergency pick. We didn't know what Lundqvist would've been an all-star and panicked due to Blackburn's injury.

I think he could've been a nice NHL goalie if we didn't stunt his growth.

1. Korpikoski - A nice prospect, can develop into a solid player
2. Byers - Still an NHL prospect, probably won't live up to being a solid player for a 2nd round pick.

2. Dubinsky - Need I say more?

4. Callahan - Nice NHL player

2005:

1. Staal - Need I say more?
2. Sauer - Still a nice prospect
2. Cliche - Got us Avery who helped turn this team around

2006:

1. Sanguinetti - Solid prospect
2. Anisimov - Solid Prospect

2007:

1. Cherepanov - Solid prospect that ended with tragedy.

2008:

1. Del Zotto - Solid prospect.

Summary:

We have actually had solid drafts, especially in the later rounds.

Lets just talk about the 1st round picks.

In 8 drafts we have had 8 1st round picks.

2 - Led to freak injury and Death, nothing you can do.
3 - Solid prospects still (Sang, DZ, Korpedo)
1 - Franchise player - Staal.
2 - Busts - Jessiman & Montoya. Montoya is understandable since we panicked. We felt we had no goalie once Blackburn got hurt.

So really, you have 1 true bust in 8 drafts. You also can't forget about the success in later rounds.

8 drafts =

Tyutin = Zherdev
Zidlicky - Succeeded not as a Ranger
Prucha
Dawes
Korpedo
Dubinsky
Callahan
Staal

Solid Prospects

Sang
Anisimov
Del Zotto

Still be NHL regulars

Byers
Sauer

So that's 13 players making the NHL while also having two tragedies to 1st round picks in Blackburn & Cherepanov.

I rate our draft success an B+
I'm just going to name the guys you mentioned that are even worthy of being mentioned here.
Tyutin- ok good draft pick there, but again how good is it when we have the super euro scout on our team huh? PIcks like this should be a yearly thing with this scouting staff

Zidlicky- Traded for Mike Dunham can't count him

Hollweg- WOW a 4th liner!

Prucha- The daily HF Rangers trade chip, a real gem.

Baranka- Gone for two seasons and still can't stay healthy, bust as of right now.

Dawes- Another player who can't even keep a regular roster spot.

Montoya- Terrible pick, thought it was terrible when we made it and I still feel that way. We got nothing out of this draft pick. Wait Freddie 4th line Sjostrom.

Korp- Eh he looks ok but nothing that I waited around 8 years of sucking for. Hasn't really done much yet but he is one of the few bright spots.

Byers- 4th line potential, again whats so great about these players?

Dubinsky- The best drafted foward out of 5 yearrs of drafting and he is 2nd line material. That is a scary statement in itself.

Callahan- Solid 3rd line energy guy, a solid draft pick.

Staal- The best out of them all, was a gift that fell into Sathers lap though but I think that evens out since the Rangers really should have had a higher draft pick in that draft but got screwed with the lockout. Right now 2nd pairing guy but has the potential for top pair. Solid pick for sure and Slats traded up to get him two spots I think so I give him credit on this one. Best pick in the whole run.

Sauer- Walking injury with limited upside.

Cliche- Bust

Sanguinetti- Is he even considered as one of the top defensive prospects outside of Ranger land? No he's not. I also believe Del Zotto has already surpassed him on the depth chart.

Anisimov- Good prospect, not great. 2nd line potential most likely 3rd.

Cherry- Can't blame anyone here just a messed up thing that happened.

Del Zotto- Too early to tell right now, but it does have the potential to be a great pick.

In the end for 8 years of ******** we got
Staal Great
Tyutin Good
Dubinsky Great where we got him
Prucha Eh
Dawes Eh
Callahan Good
Korpikoski Good
Sanguinetti Good
Del Zotto Good but could be great
Anisimov Good

I'm sorry but that still is not what I hoped for from that long playoffless drought. And again Toots shouldn't count either since he was in the system before the lockout/rebuild took place. Add up all the picks during all the years and think this is what we have to show for that. With our super scouts and the money we spend on scouting i'm sorry I feel we should have come away with better. Add in all the young guys Slats got during those deals during that season and we only still have Greg Moore and Blair Betts in the system from all those deals. All the rest busted out except for RJ Umberger which was the one guy Sather got that decided to not offer a contract to, of course he was the best one! Balej, Liffiton, Immonen, ect bah!

Old
12-05-2008, 03:03 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Sauer- Walking injury with limited upside.
Uh.. one injury doesn't make anyone a walking injury. Limited upside? Totally agreed. This team doesn't need a defensively responsible d-man right now.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 03:06 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Quote:

You hit the nail on the head, Radek. If you look at the rising powers in this league: Pittsburgh, Boston, Chicago, Washington, Minnesota...these are basically the best teams in the league aside from the veteran teams like the Red Wings, Sharks, and Ducks. All of those young teams went through significant rebuilds, and they each came away with strong young players that they drafted. Star players, impact players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post

The Rangers gave up on their rebuild halfway through. The success of Jagr and Lundqvist led to Sather skipping through a few steps. So now we have a great pool of young complimentary players, but we don't have any real star talent among our forwards outside of Zherdev and maybe Dubinsky. They might both be very good, but they're no Kane or Toews or Semin or Kessel or Lucic or any of the others. Those teams all got really great foundations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by levski87 View Post
Exactly. No bonafide stars, but the team has talent. It's the defensive system that holds them back so damn much. It kills the transition game along with any sort of offensive game. Once we enter the offensive zone, we don't know what to do. How many shots on goal can you say we have that are not off the rush, but are generated from the cycle?
Where is the talent? This team has no first line players. We have a top six that equates to two great SECOND lines. Our "talent" on the blueline is Redden and Rozsival. 'Nuff said. This is a team full of second and third liners.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 03:14 PM
Radek27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Uh.. one injury doesn't make anyone a walking injury. Limited upside? Totally agreed. This team doesn't need a defensively responsible d-man right now.
ONE injury? I think u need to look through his injury history again.

Old
12-05-2008, 03:19 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
You hit the nail on the head, Radek. If you look at the rising powers in this league: Pittsburgh, Boston, Chicago, Washington, Minnesota...these are basically the best teams in the league aside from the veteran teams like the Red Wings, Sharks, and Ducks. All of those young teams went through significant rebuilds, and they each came away with strong young players that they drafted. Star players, impact players.

The Rangers gave up on their rebuild halfway through. The success of Jagr and Lundqvist led to Sather skipping through a few steps. So now we have a great pool of young complimentary players, but we don't have any real star talent among our forwards outside of Zherdev and maybe Dubinsky. They might both be very good, but they're no Kane or Toews or Semin or Kessel or Lucic or any of the others. Those teams all got really great foundations.

Where is the talent? This team has no first line players. We have a top six that equates to two great SECOND lines. Our "talent" on the blueline is Redden and Rozsival. 'Nuff said. This is a team full of second and third liners.
I was saying alot of the same during the 7 years of no playoffs, you're a bit late

Our time to get those great players passed, we just need to pick good ones like we have been and we're all good to go - great goalie, good skating, puck moving Dmen, now we just need the forwards. Chere wouldve helped, but sadly that is not happening.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote