HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

Robert Nilsson vs Alex Steen

View Poll Results: Robert Nilsson vs Alex Steen
Nilsson 65 49.24%
Steen 67 50.76%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Old
09-08-2008, 02:52 PM
ryz

vCash: 500
Steen has been an NHLer for a while now. Nilsson was AHL fodder until about 8 months ago.

ryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 03:16 PM
AK

Steen.

AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 03:42 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryz View Post
Steen has been an NHLer for a while now. Nilsson was AHL fodder until about 8 months ago.
Thats a pretty poor argument. I have nothing wrong with someone picking Steen, thats fine, he's a hell of a player.

But just because he has been an NHL regular for longer doesn't mean he's a better player.

Marty Reasoner has been an NHL regular for almost 8 years, does that mean you'd take him over Nilsson?

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 03:51 PM
Scotianhab

Steen

Scotianhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 04:17 PM
Africa.

Voted Steen.

Africa. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 05:38 PM
Laoghaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Thats a pretty poor argument. I have nothing wrong with someone picking Steen, thats fine, he's a hell of a player.

But just because he has been an NHL regular for longer doesn't mean he's a better player.

Marty Reasoner has been an NHL regular for almost 8 years, does that mean you'd take him over Nilsson?
Thats a ****ing stupid argument. Given nearly equal play the person who has done so consitently is the better player. You can't just take a part of someones argument and pick on it. Or I will say that Joe Juneau is better than anybody on the Oilers because he had a 100 point season.

Laoghaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 05:45 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
I see Steen more so I guess it's normal for me to prefer him more.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 05:49 PM
Airborne Troll*

Steen, when he had to step up, he did it last year

Airborne Troll* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 07:40 PM
CrossCheck

Steen should hit 60 pts this year quite easily being the go to offensive guy...

CrossCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2008, 07:50 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnanigans View Post
Thats a ****ing stupid argument. Given nearly equal play the person who has done so consitently is the better player. You can't just take a part of someones argument and pick on it. Or I will say that Joe Juneau is better than anybody on the Oilers because he had a 100 point season.
I didn't pick part of Ryz argument, I picked his entire argument. Hell, what he said isn't even an argument its just stating that its taken Nilsson a little longer to stick in the NHL. Yeah okay, so what?

A statement "Well Steen has been in the NHL longer means he's better" doesn't really show alot. Especially for players who are so young. Steen was drafted a year earlier and is a year older. It's taken Nilsson longer to break into the NHL as a regular, that doesn't make him a worse player right now or in the future.

Steen being a strong 2-way player, or being a better goal scorer, now those are reasons as to why he might be better than Nilsson.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2008, 01:58 PM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
I didn't pick part of Ryz argument, I picked his entire argument. Hell, what he said isn't even an argument its just stating that its taken Nilsson a little longer to stick in the NHL. Yeah okay, so what?

A statement "Well Steen has been in the NHL longer means he's better" doesn't really show alot. Especially for players who are so young. Steen was drafted a year earlier and is a year older. It's taken Nilsson longer to break into the NHL as a regular, that doesn't make him a worse player right now or in the future.

Steen being a strong 2-way player, or being a better goal scorer, now those are reasons as to why he might be better than Nilsson.
I would also like to point out that Nilsson was drafted by the Islanders organization; which does not have the best track record for developing young players, but does have a good record of trading them away allowing them to meet expectations with other teams(i.e.Bertuzzi, McCabe, Redden, Dumont, Chara, Brewer, T.Salo, Niinima, Luongo)

09-09-2008, 02:11 PM
SChan*

I voted nilsson. He has more talent than Steen, but he is also lazy like his father. If he can work on that he will be better.

SChan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2008, 06:32 PM
zeke
#TeamReimer

Kaberle > Brewer

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 01:32 AM
HuMz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnanigans View Post
What the hell are you talking about in Nilsson's first full season he outperformed Steens 2nd and 3rd (better PPG although point totals are even). So how does that make Steen more consistent when hes a year older and dropped his goal and point totals in his 2nd NHL season.

And most importantly how is Spawn picking on anyones arguement? It wasn't his arguement in the first place it was ryz who tried too say Steen was just a better NHLer just because he broke into the NHL a year and half earlier not taking into account the fact Nilsson is a year younger.

HuMz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 01:50 AM
Super Sniper Cele

Send a message via AIM to Super Sniper Cele
I've been pretty biased towards Nilsson ever since I got to see him play with Wilkes-Barre a couple years ago. The guy has so much untapped skill and potential that he could become a 35 goal first liner. Steen could never be that, IMO.

Super Sniper Cele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 02:41 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

When's the last time Steen led his team in +/-, was among the best even strength scorers on his team for an entire NHL season and was among the DIVISION leaders in PTS/60 and among the team leaders in GA/60, the only player to get a better rating in tougher minutes being the guy who made the All-Star game.

Steen was better for a stretch. So was Gagner, doesn't change the fact that Nilsson was better last year then both.

I also think Nilsson has more upside to go with being a full two years younger.

SK13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 03:43 AM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
When's the last time Steen led his team in +/-, was among the best even strength scorers on his team for an entire NHL season and was among the DIVISION leaders in PTS/60 and among the team leaders in GA/60, the only player to get a better rating in tougher minutes being the guy who made the All-Star game.

Steen was better for a stretch. So was Gagner, doesn't change the fact that Nilsson was better last year then both.

I also think Nilsson has more upside to go with being a full two years younger.
All good points, but everyone knows that everything is better in Toronto....pwned!

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2008, 11:04 AM
bizzz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
All good points, but everyone knows that everything is better in Toronto....pwned!
No, everyone knows that everything is better in Edmonton and all the worst things are in the US.

bizzz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 05:08 AM
SChan*

they both have been playing like absolute **** this season. Steen has been worse.

Old
12-06-2008, 08:20 AM
Nordic*

Steen is unable to perform offensively, Nilsson is unable to perform defensively.

They both pretty much suck in my eyes, Steen more so though. Nilsson has some skill but is too soft.

Nordic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 08:49 AM
SChan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
Steen is unable to perform offensively, Nilsson is unable to perform defensively.

They both pretty much suck in my eyes, Steen more so though. Nilsson has some skill but is too soft.
agreed