HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Avery Suspended

Old
12-05-2008, 12:26 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

vCash: 500
Avery is trying to break the NHL into sports entertainment. Watch out WWE.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 12:47 PM
Carbo N8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
The team, and league, could have put a gag order on Avery if they were so concerned about this, previous to the event. Truth is, this is good for hockey and secretly the NHL is loving the attention it is getting.

I still find it ironic, that its acceptable he can punch it out on the ice without any issue from the league whatsoever. Hurt someone's feelings and get 6 games. Can't you just see a little bit of the humor in this?

The best thing that could have happened was let them play that game, let them sort it out on the ice and watch the enormous ratings that would have followed. Fine Avery, give him a gag order and voila..its a win win.
How do you gag the mouth that won't stop tho?

I don't think this is the kind of publicity the NHL is really looking for and it's not just about hurting someone's feelings. I doubt Elisha cares about what her pouty little ex boy has to say about her. What happens tho, when the next time he says something that is actionable in a court of law. When that happens and with the way he is it's only a matter of time, how does the NHL win from that?

The fact that he chose to stage it in front of the cameras and not say it on the ice tells me that he wouldn't be willing to settle it on the ice, he'd just turtle and run back to the bench.

The NHL doesn't need sideshow freaks like him and hopefully he learns from this or just disappears to make room for a real hockey player.

Carbo N8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 02:29 PM
Jean-Guy Drouin*

This 6 game suspension is completely stupid.

Motteau almost killed Nielsen on the Ice last week and he received 2 games. Avery talked to people, didnt event touched anybody, and receives a 6 games suspension ?! The NHL is a circus.

Jean-Guy Drouin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 02:35 PM
Darz

Avery sucks. Anybody who thinks this game is better with him around, should join him in getting their brains examined!!!

12-05-2008, 04:10 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz View Post
Avery sucks. Anybody who thinks this game is better with him around, should join him in getting their brains examined!!!
Better? No. More exciting? Sure. I could care less what happens to Avery, I just despise how the league is so full of itself, it can't see the double standards it sets forward.

What next? Should Koivu get suspended if he publicly insults another player?

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 04:26 PM
googlymoogly

I think Avery should sue Bettman for violation of 1st Amendment rights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HN8L...eature=related

Check out Ribs at the end He can hardly contain himself. Avery Ott and Ribs on one team, talk about annoying players.

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 04:34 PM
Lord Horse
Next Day's News

Quote:
Better? No. More exciting? Sure. I could care less what happens to Avery, I just despise how the league is so full of itself, it can't see the double standards it sets forward.

That's a poor argument.

There's such a thing as professional decorum, the league AND the PA demand it, as they should. Some clown purposely yaks it up for reporters, no problem. Some clown yaks it up with a personal shot against another player & a crude remark about a 3rd party, then yep - suspension time.

There's a time and place for those comments, and that's on the ice just before the puck drops. If Avery wasn't such a huge fan of Sean Avery, he'd keep it in the game. But he's so in love with seeing his own name in the papers that he'll go out of his way (as in this case) to see that it gets there. To do that while using an expression that isn't exactly family-oriented is past the line - the game can't promote itself as fun and safe entertainment for kids with a doofus like Avery referring to an ex as something like a sperm receptacle.

I know that's just a laugh in some quarters of Montreal, but it's terrible press for the league.

Googlymoogly, not sure if you're serious, but if so I'd recommend you educate yourself on what the 1st Amendment is for, and what it protects.

Lord Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 05:05 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwoar View Post
That's a poor argument.

There's such a thing as professional decorum, the league AND the PA demand it, as they should.
You kidding me? Ever been to a bar after the game is over, and the team walks in? Not exactly a portrayal of class. Pro athletes aren't in this level of professionalism you are putting them in, not even close.

The only policy that gets attention, is when you make the organization look stupid and get caught. Thats why trash talking is accepted in the locker room and on the ice. Wait till the day a Montreal player's voice gets picked up on mic, saying something really tasteless to another play and then lets all pretend this team has a bunch of classy players.

On the ice its a circus, same as off the ice. I've been to a ton of events where pro athletes are there, most are classless, a product of their environment.

Avery got caught, thats the only difference and he was an idiot for doing so. I don't see how the Stars couldn't handle this without getting the NHL involved, its a joke.

Next time a player gets crushed from behind, and he gets a one game suspension.. just remember what Avery got for hurting someone's feelings and saying something at the wrong time.

Lets see Gary backup his "good boy" talk with a real suspension and control of the players in this league on the ice.

Old
12-05-2008, 05:25 PM
Domenic

Not sure if anyone has said this yet in the thread but the funny thing is that Avery doesn't realise that in getting him, Dallas got NYR's sloppy second. Ironic no?

Hull

Domenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 06:23 PM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

vCash: 50
Quote:
You kidding me? Ever been to a bar after the game is over, and the team walks in? Not exactly a portrayal of class. Pro athletes aren't in this level of professionalism you are putting them in, not even close.

The only policy that gets attention, is when you make the organization look stupid and get caught. Thats why trash talking is accepted in the locker room and on the ice. Wait till the day a Montreal player's voice gets picked up on mic, saying something really tasteless to another play and then lets all pretend this team has a bunch of classy players.

On the ice its a circus, same as off the ice. I've been to a ton of events where pro athletes are there, most are classless, a product of their environment.

Avery got caught, thats the only difference and he was an idiot for doing so. I don't see how the Stars couldn't handle this without getting the NHL involved, its a joke.

Next time a player gets crushed from behind, and he gets a one game suspension.. just remember what Avery got for hurting someone's feelings and saying something at the wrong time.

Lets see Gary backup his "good boy" talk with a real suspension and control of the players in this league on the ice.
Getting caught is not really a defense when you wait for the mics and the sun-guns to get there and the cameras to turn on...which he did.

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 06:25 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
Getting caught is not really a defense when you wait for the mics and the sun-guns to get there and the cameras to turn on...which he did.
I agree.

Old
12-05-2008, 07:23 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:

Never happens.

Koivu is all class. Even if he did, he isn't a repeat offender of the idiocy that is Sean Avery.

6 games isn't enough, this guy should just be banned from the league already.. I dont think any team will take him anyways, so it may just as well be the same.

Let's not forget his history of comments, like the one about French players. You'd think Montreal fans would take note of ithis.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 07:48 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated R Superstar View Post
This is where Avery belongs...in the WWE! What a lame attempt at trying to be funny, and get under Dion's skin...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 07:52 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
This is where Avery belongs...in the WWE! What a lame attempt at trying to be funny, and get under Dion's skin...
Avery, Ott, and Lucic with his WWE after fight win dance. They could be a tag team.

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 08:06 PM
mcphee

Quote:

If I'm at a trade show representing a company, and offer the opinion to a passer by that I've not only had his wife, but didn't enjoy it, I should get canned because I was doing it on their dime.

If I did it in a bar after the show, they could rightly decide that I was the type of garbage that they'd like to avoid being a room with and they might want to fire me, but would have to cook up a reason.

Avery was on their dime, he didn't make anyone laugh, he brought people outside the game into it, he's a sad little puke who isn't ahappy if he isn't getting attn., a trait that kids usually grow out of by 8 or 9.

Years ago, when the world was less politically correct and you could get away with more, people had the dignity not to spew this crap.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 08:14 PM
C4KOMI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated R Superstar View Post
something that bettman has no clue how to do and stops anyone who tries.

C4KOMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 08:23 PM
la25ecoupe

This guy is the man Paris Hilton. He will release a sex tape and have a tv show.

Mark my word.

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 12:36 AM
Nashy
The Honey Badger

Quote:
The entire league is built on champions crossing the line. The Hall Of Fame is decorated with players who crossed the line. Welcome to pro sports.

I think this says more about the Dallas Stars, than Avery. I'm sickened by the people bailing on him. Nice organization that bails on a player when they do something stupid. It all looks scripted to me, I think they are relieved Sean did this so they could bail themselves out of a terrible FA signing.

I'm not saying it wasn't a poor choice of words, however, if it wasn't Elisha.. poster girl for the NHL who used to blog for them.. I doubt this gets much attention, not nearly as much.

Well, I agree... but nice double standard we have here. If Avery had said it on the ice, and they punched it out.. would this have happened?
Avery's agent...is that you?

Nashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 02:20 AM
pepperMonkey

I'm all for punishing Avery. That bag of dirt needs his head cleaned a few times. But six games??
Next time a star players head gets taken off and the offencer gets only a couple of games, remember, Avery and his 'sloppy seconds' is soo...soooooo much more offensive then the dudes smashed head.
Lord, talk about messed up. Yes, yes, he's a repeat offender but come on, does the NHL really have to get into this and make an example of this while they let people kill each other (illegally) on the ice?

pepperMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 04:51 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

My mother is very old school and said "they suspended him for that? He just needed an ass wiping from the guy he was refering this to but that's it". I said "welcome to our politicaly correct World, Mom".

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 04:58 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
Avery made disrespectful remarks, insulting towards women, directed toward co-workers, while on the job to the media.

You are telling me he shouldn't be suspended? If you ran a business and an employee was interviewed, you'd let him run his mouth about personal relationships to the camera, about co-workers or workers at a rival company? Please.
Yea but we know Avery wasn't like mad at his ex-girl friend in a "i'm going to take revenge" fit of jealous rage. He said it to stir **** up to get under Phaneuf's skin. I'm pretty sure Cuthbert knows him well enough to not take him seriously. He must have said a LOT of things when he was with her.

Quote:
That said, the scapegoat thing never works. Remember when Ray Emery was supposed to be the center of Ottawa's problems? Or Larry Murphy was what was holding the Leafs down? How about Roy's ego in Montreal? You could mention the three Amigos, but eh.
Agree with that. Dallas do not play well, don't blame Avery. Too easy.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 05:04 AM
peperebougon*

Wow 6 games???? And yet shots to the head are OK... wow just wow.

peperebougon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 08:15 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post

Years ago, when the world was less politically correct and you could get away with more, people had the dignity not to spew this crap.
Also years ago people had the sense of what was and what was not their business. Media should have the sense to turn off the cameras sometimes, the public should have the sense to turn away and recognize hurtful comments that stem from a failed personal relationship. It has nothing to do with us , regardless if Avery attempted to bring us into it with his antics.

I'd like to think we're all adults and can pick up on what is important and what isn't, and I hate feigned moral outrage. Unfortunately it makes up a large part of the GDP of Canada.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 10:51 AM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
If I'm at a trade show representing a company, and offer the opinion to a passer by that I've not only had his wife, but didn't enjoy it, I should get canned because I was doing it on their dime.
Technically, he wasn't on their time. It was after practice.

Quote:
he didn't make anyone laugh, he brought people outside the game into it, he's a sad little puke who isn't ahappy if he isn't getting attn., a trait that kids usually grow out of by 8 or 9.
This is all true, I agree.

Quote:
I think the main thing here is, you are forgetting this does happen on the ice, every day the game is played. It is acceptable on the ice, and a normal part of the game.

People are making it sound like he crossed a line no NHL player would ever cross, "name calling". He was a jerk and idiot for doing this to the media, it should have stayed on the ice.

6 games for this while AK can lying motionless on the ice with no penalty or suspension from the league? Excuse me while I find this a little bit of a joke.

Old
12-06-2008, 10:59 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

One dares to imagine that there may be a certain amount of straw-on-the-camel's-back aspect to this suspension too. Not that he technically has a track record of actually being suspended, but... folks have talked to him or about his antics before, and nothing has ever changed him. Might as well slap on the suspension and see. Nobody is going to spare any sympathy for him in the meantime, so the NHL can't lose.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote