HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Bob will upgrade soon!

Old
12-04-2008, 10:12 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboflex View Post
This.

When Gainey acquires a Dman it's not to upgrade the top 5 (as Bouillon, Gorges, Hamrlik, Komisarek and Markov are a fine group), it's to fill in the gaping holes that exist in spots 6-7.

It's bad enough having to rely on O'Byrne or Breezer as #6 with a healthy lineup, but Komisarek's injury shows us we're really in trouble when they're 5 & 6. You have to count on an injury during a deep playoff run (god forbid it's not Markov or Hammer), which is why it's essential Gainey acquires some depth. The guy doesn't have to be awsome (although that's a plus, up to Gainey if the price is worth it), but at least a reliable, veteren guy who can handle the rough stuff.
O'byrne is fine as #6, it's having Bouillon and Gorges as #3-4 for an extended period that's the problem. Those 3 as 5-6-7 is a great situation to have.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2008, 10:14 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoasthabsfan View Post
Have you ever seen him actually play? He is horrible defensively and certainly isnt the answer to the Habs problems.......
His shot would definitely help the PP...I'm sure he'd be fine playing with Hamrlik, a lot less pressure than 1st pair in Toronto or Florida.

He has 11pts in 14 games and is +7 on a bad team.

Old
12-05-2008, 11:49 AM
MasterD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
McCabe has a big contract for 2 more years after this one so forget it. Green is already making over 5M and the Caps won't let him go. Boynton sucks. The rest sucks.

So it's J-Bo or nothing!
I could settle for Kubina... J-Bo ain't coming here.

Or maybe we could pry Jovanovski away from Phoenix for 1-2 good prospects, play him with Hamr or Gorges to cover for his defensive liabilities

MasterD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 01:08 PM
Nitehowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
His shot would definitely help the PP...I'm sure he'd be fine playing with Hamrlik, a lot less pressure than 1st pair in Toronto or Florida.

He has 11pts in 14 games and is +7 on a bad team.
If you haven't seen him play, he is very similar to Markov on the PP. Kaberle is a passer first and doesn't shoot much at all.McCabe was the shooter when that combo was getting all the PP points in Toronto.

Someone made a good point about not acquiring a #4 dman... instead a solid #5 dman... with O'By and Cube as the rotating #6 dman. Cube and Dandy are just too small together and Breezby is only in the lineup till Carbo gets him to 1000 games.

One player I thought would fill this role would be Seidenberg from Carolina. He is up there in blocked shots and hits and would give a good defensive physical presence .
Anyone else notice how quiet Eric Staal is this year? Hmmmm maybe he needs a change of scenery.With attendance down and possible $$ problems in Carolina could he be the big C we could use. .....say Pleks/Boullion/White/Carle for Staal/Seidenberg ?

Nitehowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 01:15 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
About the PP woes, and us missing Streit, pretty much.

It's not his shot we miss the most. It's his puck distribution abilities.

Check your tapes.
I agree Phil, but it was also his shot that gave him the room to be able to distribute the puck. Chicken or the egg thing if you ask me.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 02:06 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterD View Post
I could settle for Kubina... J-Bo ain't coming here.

Or maybe we could pry Jovanovski away from Phoenix for 1-2 good prospects, play him with Hamr or Gorges to cover for his defensive liabilities
JB is not signing in Florida so he will be moved within 2 months...why not here?

I'm not saying it will definitely be here, but we have more moveable assets than anybody.

Old
12-05-2008, 02:09 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitehowl View Post
If you haven't seen him play, he is very similar to Markov on the PP. Kaberle is a passer first and doesn't shoot much at all.McCabe was the shooter when that combo was getting all the PP points in Toronto.

Someone made a good point about not acquiring a #4 dman... instead a solid #5 dman... with O'By and Cube as the rotating #6 dman. Cube and Dandy are just too small together and Breezby is only in the lineup till Carbo gets him to 1000 games.

One player I thought would fill this role would be Seidenberg from Carolina. He is up there in blocked shots and hits and would give a good defensive physical presence .
Anyone else notice how quiet Eric Staal is this year? Hmmmm maybe he needs a change of scenery.With attendance down and possible $$ problems in Carolina could he be the big C we could use. .....say Pleks/Boullion/White/Carle for Staal/Seidenberg ?
I'm talking McCabe.

Old
12-05-2008, 02:14 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

After Kaberle's game last night, I can't help but believe they will pressure him into waiving his NTC.

Sined is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 02:19 PM
Brett38

Gainey won't do anything before the ALL-Star break. He's hoping Sundin will sign with them. If he does, he will work on a top 4 D before the trade deadline. He would like o know what he has to play with...Sundin...before he looks at the D.

Brett38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 03:01 PM
Turboflex*

I was big on Sundin as a summer UFA but the Habs don't need this guy airdropped into lineup at christmas time. If he was serious about winning in the NHL he woulda been at training camp in September. Now what's his deal? Poker season is over so he needs something to do until golf season starts?

Forget this guy and get a good Dman instead.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 03:10 PM
les Habs

OK, so I know I might get flamed for this, but I heard Sheldon is possibly on the block. Don't know his salary, don't know what it'd take, but considering our woes on the PP... Of course I'd rather have Bo, but just thinking about that damn PP. He also has 20 points in 26 games and is a +6.

les Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 03:26 PM
Krazy

Sorry to barge in, but I dont think McCabe would go to Montreal. He had the NMC and waived it to go to FLA only because of his wife's family. Otherwise we probably would have done McCAbe for Grabovski last year, considering Fletch tried to get grabo a few times and didnt seem to know much about van ryn....

Kubina would look great on Montreal.....

Krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 09:49 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by les Habs View Post
OK, so I know I might get flamed for this, but I heard Sheldon is possibly on the block. Don't know his salary, don't know what it'd take, but considering our woes on the PP... Of course I'd rather have Bo, but just thinking about that damn PP. He also has 20 points in 26 games and is a +6.
Yes you would get flamed but not because it's Sheldon Souray but because you suggest it without any idea of what he would cost of his cap hit.

Sined is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 10:32 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by les Habs View Post

I wish there was a smiley with a gun to his head and pulls the trigger, cuz that's basically what I would do if they traded for him.

1- huge cap hit
2- we'd have to lose some players to get him when he could've signed here without us losing anything
3- his horrible defensive play
4- his horrible defensive play
5- his horrible defensive play
6- his horrible defensive play
7- his horrible defensive play
8- his horrible defensive play
9- his horrible defensive play
10- Jason Spezza would own the Habs

PS.: I know he is +6, which is astounding and unbelievable, but I'm sure it has more to do with his teamates than him being solid defensively. It's a shame I haven't caught a Oilers game yet this season.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 09:03 AM
sampollock

there is not a pile of d men out there, so if bob waits it will get worse to find one, and at the deadline, you pay wayyyyyyyyy more , so it is a need, and if bob is wanting to do it, make it happen, waiting, only makes things worse.

look at the sundin issue or hossa

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 10:59 AM
smon

I'm thinking a trade with a mediocre Western Conference team is more likely. What do you guys think of Derek Morris from Phoenix? He hasn't exactly thrived offensively there, but he seems to be a fairly physical defender with a good shot. Impending UFA, too, with cap hit of 3.95M.

Of course the question would be how much of an upgrade he would be over the existing #4.

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 11:30 AM
Pascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterD View Post

Last I heard/saw Jovo is not the shadow of what he use to be. I don't know how he is this year though.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote