HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Avery Suspended

Old
12-06-2008, 12:07 PM
Habskrieg

vCash: 500
I kind of enjoy Avery in the NHL. Wouldn't want him on our team, but still I find his clown act fun at times. You got to admit that during last play-offs, he had people laughing for his act on Brodeur.

Habskrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 02:18 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Technically, he wasn't on their time. It was after practice.

This is all true, I agree.

I think the main thing here is, you are forgetting this does happen on the ice, every day the game is played. It is acceptable on the ice, and a normal part of the game.

People are making it sound like he crossed a line no NHL player would ever cross, "name calling". He was a jerk and idiot for doing this to the media, it should have stayed on the ice.

6 games for this while AK can lying motionless on the ice with no penalty or suspension from the league? Excuse me while I find this a little bit of a joke.
Couple of things, the after practice interv iew is on their dime, no one is interviewing Avery the citizen in the dressing room, he's Avery the Dallas Star. If he's full time at Vogue, Tom Hicks could care less.

You're right, on ice ignorance is fine, happens all th etime, but it's player to player, you draw someone else in, it's your own sad personal need. He crossed a line by bringing in other people in a public manner. The one thing I'd add tro on ice commentary is racial and ethnic stuff. Some do it, but it's an area with limits, it didn't used to be, but it is now, and I don't have a problem with objections to guys throwing racial comments around.

As to length, I can't argue that it is too long in comparison, I'd argue that otrhers are too short, we don't disagreee, it's just I see it from the other side. Increase the gratuitous cheap shot suspensions by all means.

Bottom line is that the guy is repugnant, players don't want him in their room. It's a team game and Avery is just in it to make some cash to take his life in other directions as near as I can tell. That's fine, I don't need Ron McLean style Pollyanna stories but if he isn't committed to the game or his team, it's transparent or at least has become so.

I remember guys on my ball team years ago, guys who couldn't keep their mouths shut, loudmouths who embarassed the rest of us. They didn't get invited back the next year, no one wanted to be around them, I explained that there were other teams that they might find more hospitable and left it at that. Avery reminds me of those guys.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 02:27 PM
Carbo N8

[QUOTE=mcphee;16678333]

As to length, I can't argue that it is too long in comparison, I'd argue that otrhers are too short, we don't disagreee, it's just I see it from the other side. Increase the gratuitous cheap shot suspensions by all means.
[QUOTE]

It's almost apples & oranges, just because the NHL can't get the suspensions for more serious stuff right doesn't mean they should just ignore something like this. Maybe they will start getting more serious about the headshots, etc.

I still think Avery deserves at least 5 games for staging such a pathetic attempt at humour.

Carbo N8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 04:34 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
Couple of things, the after practice interv iew is on their dime, no one is interviewing Avery the citizen in the dressing room, he's Avery the Dallas Star. If he's full time at Vogue, Tom Hicks could care less.

You're right, on ice ignorance is fine, happens all th etime, but it's player to player, you draw someone else in, it's your own sad personal need. He crossed a line by bringing in other people in a public manner. The one thing I'd add tro on ice commentary is racial and ethnic stuff. Some do it, but it's an area with limits, it didn't used to be, but it is now, and I don't have a problem with objections to guys throwing racial comments around.

Bottom line is that the guy is repugnant, players don't want him in their room. It's a team game and Avery is just in it to make some cash to take his life in other directions as near as I can tell. That's fine, I don't need Ron McLean style Pollyanna stories but if he isn't committed to the game or his team, it's transparent or at least has become so.

I remember guys on my ball team years ago, guys who couldn't keep their mouths shut, loudmouths who embarassed the rest of us. They didn't get invited back the next year, no one wanted to be around them, I explained that there were other teams that they might find more hospitable and left it at that. Avery reminds me of those guys.
Its ok to disagree on this issue, I'll always remember our times at Brokeback Mountain together.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 05:58 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Its ok to disagree on this issue, I'll always remember our times at Brokeback Mountain together.
I am quite the mountaineer and mountaineering is quite a tricky business.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 06:37 PM
HockeyF3ind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Guy Drouin View Post
This 6 game suspension is completely stupid.

Motteau almost killed Nielsen on the Ice last week and he received 2 games. Avery talked to people, didnt event touched anybody, and receives a 6 games suspension ?! The NHL is a circus.
I completely agree...this suspension is TOTALLY absurd....since when did the NHL (which condones fighting that bloody faces and "legal" checks that almost kill players) go into the business of protecting the besmirched virtue of some Hollywood playgirl who clearly fancies hockey player man meat in her special place? And its not like I love Avery and think he's some kind of stand up guy....but this suspension and all this hoopla over a fairly innocent (albeit fairly distasteful) comment makes the NHL look more ridiculous than Avery could ever achieve on his own.

Its almost like the NHL is taking its cues from the "We should look at ourselves" vagina monologues here on the HF habs boards......grow up people, and stop acting like a bunch of 2nd grade pansies.

HockeyF3ind is offline   Reply With Quote