HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12/6/08: Nashville vs. Minnesota

Old
12-06-2008, 12:15 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

vCash: 500
12/6/08: Nashville vs. Minnesota

vs.

@

Nashville Predators (13-10-2, 28pts, 3rd Central, 8th West)

Last Game: Nashville 3 vs. Colorado 2
Last Ten Games: 6-3-1
Home Record: 6-3-1
OT/Shootout Record: 5-2
Record vs. Minnesota: 0-1-0
Goals For: 73
Goals Against: 79
Power Play Ranking: 13.9%, 25th
Home Power Play Ranking: 15.7%, 20th
Penalty Kill Ranking: 80.0%, 20th
Home Penalty Kill Ranking: 81.1%, 17th

Nashville Team Leaders
Goals: Jason Arnott, 13
Assists: Jean-Pierre Dumont, 20
Power Play Goals: Shea Weber, Arnott, 4
Power Play Scoring: Dumont, 9 (1g+8a)
Short-Handed Goals: Five Tied at 1
Short-Handed Scoring: Scott Nichol, 3 (0g+3a)
Shots: Shea Weber, 86
Shooting Percentage: Arnott, 20.0%
Plus-Minus: Weber, +11
Penalty Minutes: Jordin Tootoo, 52
Hits: Weber, 57
Blocked Shots: Greg Zanon, 68
Giveaways: Dumont, 17
Takeaways: Dan Hamhuis, 18
Turnover Differential: Joel Ward, +11
Faceoffs Won: Radek Bonk, 157-92
Faceoff Percentage: Bonk, 63.1%
Time on Ice: Weber, 24:04
Wins: Dan Ellis, 8-10-2
Minutes Played: Ellis, 1177
Goals Against Average: Pekka Rinne, 2.64
Save Percentage: Rinne, .899
Shutouts: Rinne, Ellis, 1

Nashville Fun Fact: The Predators are 8-1-0 when defenseman Shea Weber scores.

Nashville Player To Watch: Martin Erat scored his first NHL goal against the Wild on 10/30/2001. It would be fitting for him to finally find the back of the net after nine straight games without a goal against them.

Nashville Reason to Worry: The Stand In One Place for Two Minutes Play is still

Nashville Injury Report
None

Nashville Projected Lineup
Ward-Arnott-Dumont
Pihlstrom-Legwand-Erat
Smithson-Bonk-Tootoo
Fiddler-Nichol-Belak

Weber-Suter
Hamhuis-Zanon
De Vries-Koistinen

Rinne

Minnesota Wild (15-9-1, 31pts, 2nd Northwest, 4th West)

Last Game: Minnesota 1 @ Vancouver 2
Last Ten Games: 5-5-0
Away Record: 7-3-0
OT/Shootout Record: 3-1
Record vs. Nashville: 1-0-0
Goals For: 72
Goals Against: 55
Power Play Ranking: 26.1%, 2nd
Away Power Play Ranking: 26.1%, 2nd
Penalty Kill Ranking: 88.3%, 2nd
Away Penalty Kill Ranking: 91.1%, 2nd

Minnesota Team Leaders
Goals: Mikko Koivu, 10
Assists: Koivu, 19
Power Play Goals: Andrew Brunette, 5
Power Play Scoring: Koivu, 13 (3g+10a)
Short-Handed Goals: Koivu, 1
Shots: Koivu, 93
Shooting Percentage: Brunette, 26.5%
Plus-Minus: Koivu, +6
Penalty Minutes: Derek Boogaard, 44
Hits: Cal Clutterbuck, 73
Blocked Shots: Nick Schultz, 52
Giveaways: Koivu, 26
Takeaways: Koivu, 24
Turnover Differential: Eric Belanger, +5
Faceoffs Won: Koivu, 266-242
Faceoff Percentage: Belanger, 53.4%
Time on Ice: Kim Johnsson, 24:47
Wins: Niklas Backstrom, 14-8-1
Minutes Played: Backstrom, 663
Goals Against Average: Josh Harding, 1.69
Save Percentage: Harding, .932
Shutouts: Backstrom, 3

Minnesota Fun Fact: The Wild have set a team record on the man advantage in the last three games, going 10/20 on the power play in that span.

Minnesota Player to Watch: Blue liner Marek Zidlicky has been a major force on Minnesota's power play, with six points in his last six games.

Minnestoa Reason to Worry: The Wild are facing the Predators on the back end of a back to back for the second time in the last three weeks.

Minnesota Injury Report
Marian Gaborik (Lower Body, Out)
Owen Nolan (Lower Body, Doubtful)

Minnesota Projected Lineup
Brunette-Koivu-Bouchard
Veilleux-Belanger-Burns
Mietinen-Pouliot-Weller
Boogaard-Sheppard-Clutterbuck

Johnsson-Schutlz
Zidlicky-Skoula
Reitz-Bergeron

Backstrom

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 01:28 AM
braindead

First in. I'm expecting a collective Gordie Howe hat trick from the Preds.

5 goals, 8 assists and 3 fights. Score early, score often. Preds prevail.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 09:39 AM
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
Koivu will be a problem for us.

Soundgarden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 11:22 AM
I am Canadian
Swedes + Leafs =

From Fantasy hockey, can Rinne pull off this win?

I am Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 11:39 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Canadian View Post
Hopefully we won't need to see Rinne...Ellis is starting tonight.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...28/1002/SPORTS

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 11:50 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

When we lose to the Wild, it is usually due to their powerplay. If we can't contain their powerplay, we are going to lose again.

12-06-2008, 12:50 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Canadian View Post
Who did you pay off to get Rinne into the lineup???

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20.../81206008/1028

Ellis injured in morning skate (not expected to be serious), MacIntyre recalled from Milwaukee to backup Rinne tonight!

Can Pekka win the game? Of course he can! I've said it multiple times over the past two years...Pekka Rinne is the real deal folks...he's the real deal.

Old
12-06-2008, 01:18 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Stay out of the freaking box ladies

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 01:28 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Who did you pay off to get Rinne into the lineup???

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20.../81206008/1028

Ellis injured in morning skate (not expected to be serious), MacIntyre recalled from Milwaukee to backup Rinne tonight!

Can Pekka win the game? Of course he can! I've said it multiple times over the past two years...Pekka Rinne is the real deal folks...he's the real deal.
It is clear that Trotz likes him. I can't remember a time where we gave so many games to a backup goalie when injuries were not the primary reason. Even last year we road Mason hard for most of the first 2 months of the season, despite a terrible record.

Enoch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 01:42 PM
Pattypred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
It is clear that Trotz likes him. I can't remember a time where we gave so many games to a backup goalie when injuries were not the primary reason. Even last year we road Mason hard for most of the first 2 months of the season, despite a terrible record.
Maybe coach learned something from that ....

Pattypred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 04:03 PM
Seth Lake

I've been high on Rinne since I saw him at prospect camp during the summer of '03 the week after the draft. I thought then that he was head and shoulders better than Lassila at the time (who the Preds were initially high on) and even thought that at his stage of development, that he was better than Miikka Kiprusoff at a later stage of his development (I'd watched Kipper in 3 AHL games before that, Rinne was still a backup in Europe).

The only thing that has dampened the organization on Rinne since he was drafted was the shoulder injury two summers ago that required surgery and made him miss effectively a whole year.

Pekka has done a great job coming back from that and has proved he has nothing left to learn in the AHL. He is ready for the NHL and very soon will be ready to be a No. 1 in the NHL. I still think there are little things left to develop in his game (particularly puckhandling), but his fundamentals are solid and we are now looking at a goalie refining his game at the NHL level against the best competition in the world, rather than trying to learn on the fly.

If you haven't figured it out yet...I'm really high on Rinne and believe he is capable of turning into a franchise netminder eventually.

Old
12-06-2008, 04:05 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattypred View Post
Maybe coach learned something from that ....

Or, maybe the difference is that Rinne is a goalie that we drafted, developed, and watched exceed expectations time and time again. Ellis was new to the organization and had no history with the coaching staff.

Old
12-06-2008, 07:49 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

We had one heck of a first period. 18 shots for with only 4 against - I hope this doesn't come back to bite us in the second.

Old
12-06-2008, 09:16 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Off one of the worst powerplays I have ever seen, we score seconds after it ends......Great shot by Dumont as he waited in the slot.

Old
12-06-2008, 09:35 PM
Paincakes

And Pekka is perfect again!

Paincakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 09:35 PM
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
Glad to get the win, Harding and Rinne sounds like they were brick walls.

Soundgarden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 09:36 PM
zecke26

just for the record:

i turned on your game with 11min left in the 3rd. and soon after dumont scores the game winner.
enoch, your favorite "elitist" is a lucky charm for you!

congrats on the win!

zecke26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 10:25 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Preds are now 14-3-0 when Shea records a point

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 10:55 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by zecke26 View Post
just for the record:

i turned on your game with 11min left in the 3rd. and soon after dumont scores the game winner.
enoch, your favorite "elitist" is a lucky charm for you!

congrats on the win!
Your a closet Pred fan. I know it, you know it, reveal it to the world and buy some season tickets (and no, I don't care if you don't live in Nashville).

Old
12-07-2008, 02:24 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

-Hilarious that there was a wave of cheering\applause when Koistinen was announced as a healthy scratch. Can't say I didn't join in.

-I didn't have the issue everyone else in the building had with the Tootoo penalty at the end of the second period. He was "grazed," and in trying to sell it went barrelling over Harding.

-Proud of our PK tonight. Minny never really could get set up.

-Point shots from Weber are the new Kariya-to-Sullivan cross-crease pass. Sometimes we waste an entire power play trying to make *the* play happen, instead of just making ANYTHING happen. It's not always going to be there, especially with teams keying in and looking for those shots.

-Radek Bonk seems like a nice guy, and he's great at faceoffs. That said, he's a lump on the ice at this point. I was certain he was going to be an early season trade, even for a low pick...I've been disappointed. At least he's not getting as much PP time these days.

-Off the rush, Jason Arnott might as well be Jordin Tootoo. Loves that slow, deliberate windup slapshot. He's just more accurate with it.

-Great to see Pekka get another win...but I'm not as quick to hail him as our new starter as some around me were. He's had some luck on his side, and at times he makes Tomas Vokoun look omposed. I worry that his tendency to lose track of the puck when it's in the blue ice will get exploited against teams that are aggressive in deep...ie the Sharks, Red Wings, etc. Our defense did a great job of hopping on those tricklers tonight, but you can't keep hoping everyone is in the right place at the right time. Not quite ready to supplant Ellis as the starter, yet.

-Pihlstrom is probably the fastest skater on the team at this point, and hits like a tank. He's giving 130 percent...if he can somehow find his hands, he's going to be a deadly player. 5 shots tonight, and despite Erat being mired in a cold streak, that ELP line consistently looks dangerous. Legwand looks like a completely different player lately, though that might also be because of his public call-out.

-Quiet, steady game for Klein. Seemed smart about jumping up into the rush, wise about when to stay back. Amazing that he can jump right in despite not playing for a month and a half. Had a feeling we might see him, after Koistinen gift-wrapped Wolski's shorthanded goal in the last game, and very nearly did it twice. We saw Trotz yank him off the ice both times, and have a heated discussion. Hope that the silly grudge against Klein is gone, and he actually gets a few games to show what he can do.

-What a shot by Dumont, a real laser. Started to think nothing was going to get by Harding, who played an outstanding game. He simply doesn't give up rebounds.

-I don't get the booing of Zidlicky every time he touches the puck. It's not a Kariya situation. I know that he wasn't the most popular player when he was here among fans, but I don't really hold any ill-will toward him.

-I never thought I would miss Bud "like the beer" Ford "like the truck," but this "Mac" chimp is unbearable. If you stand out front immediately following the game, you can watch him make a beeline to leave. Combine that with his stream of slipping on easy names and annoying voice...ugh. Also...whose idea was it to bring back the "PRED...a...toooores!" frogs? Has that commercial been shown in the past 8 years? Worst. Clip. Ever.

-Is anyone else...kind of worried about attendance? It was 14404 announced, tonight...but that included the free admission for military, plus who knows how many other free tickets given out. In a season that we *must* average 14K...I am afraid we're going to actually fall below what we even had last year. It's depressing that we came so close to losing the team--got a second chance--and it's right back to where it was. The team is doing its job...I've never seen so much advertising, from billboards to commercials to print ads to radio spots to promotion...but it's the same old story. Have to hope it picks up after Titans\College Football season...it usually does, but it's a cop-out to keep accepting the poor crowds because of those factors. You can't keep using those strawman arguments when teams like Tampa Bay...just as ensconced in college sports and the NFL as Nashville, but with a worse team...routinely draw good crowds. That said, I think that they'd have a little easier time selling tickets if players like Joel Ward weren't getting first line minutes. I was a little refreshed to hear Poile admit that they'd like one more top true top six scoring forward...but it's a little "i'll believe it when I see it."

I'll stop there, because I really didn't intend for this post to sound so negative. We played possibly the best period I've seen all year in the first, and shut down a team that has historically given us a lot of trouble. Great win, 3 in a row...let's build on it in STL on Monday. 4 games this week.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 04:46 AM
urho

vCash: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
-Hilarious that there was a wave of cheering\applause when Koistinen was announced as a healthy scratch. Can't say I didn't join in.
Has he really been that bad? At least he had 2 assists in game against Colorada lately... But i guess it's about his defensive game?

Great to see Rinne playing good! He's from my hometown team and i've always had sympathy for him

urho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 09:25 AM
braindead

Great post Mr. neck. Agree with almost all of it (all except Rinne).

And, yes, Koistenen was THAT bad on Thursday night. He had to sit. It was bad in epic proportions.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 11:15 AM
thevioletfire

Send a message via AIM to thevioletfire
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post

Also...whose idea was it to bring back the "PRED...a...toooores!" frogs? Has that commercial been shown in the past 8 years? Worst. Clip. Ever.
It's really sad that my first reply & inspiration for signing up as a participant is just to say... I agree 100 percent with you. I'm all for the silly stuff that helps kids get into the action. That Pred -A- Tors thing hasn't been relevant for almost a decade. Nobody I sit with finds it even slightly amusing.. but I sit in 303, so that may not be a good judge of reception.

thevioletfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 11:35 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

It is a silly in-game clip. I'm surprised it hasn't been replaced by now.

Last year at this point in time, our goaltending situation was in shambles, Weber was injured, and you still heard many questioning Suter as a long-term fixture on this team. This year, our goaltending is not in question. Rinne looks like a legitimate future starter. Ellis has played well. The drafting of Pickard shores up our future even more. Weber is probably the leading Norris candidate right now, and Suter is just behind him in terms of overall performance. This team has issues, but at least it looks like we are solidifying on the backend and in net.

Old
12-07-2008, 11:41 AM
zecke26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Your a closet Pred fan. I know it, you know it, reveal it to the world and buy some season tickets (and no, I don't care if you don't live in Nashville).

i'm a wings fan (just like everybody else in nashville )!

but i really like the preds and wish them all the best. especially a better attendance, because the whole organization deserves it.

and if i'd live in nashville, i'd go there often. no doubt. the arena always seems to be pretty loud. in the POs last year i was impressed.

so don't tell anyone, but: GO PREDS!

zecke26 is offline   Reply With Quote