HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Did the NHL make the right call suspending Avery?

View Poll Results: Did the NHL make the right call suspending Avery?
Yes 106 47.11%
No 116 51.56%
Other (explain) 3 1.33%
Voters: 225. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-04-2008, 11:27 PM
Noori

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addiction View Post
I can't stand the ****** bag and he is on the team i support. However if he gets suspended for this then every player in the NHL who talks **** on the ice should be suspended as well! If it happens on the Ice or in an interview it should make no difference.
Hmm... one stays on the ice, the other gets broadcasted on air and printed in the press. Big, big difference. Avery did do his job though because Phaneuf played like ****.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2008, 11:45 PM
Luongo4VP

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Highlander View Post
Phaneuf played like ****.
Hasn't that been the case with Phaneuf all season?

I'm really sad I actually picked him in my hockey pool. But on the brightside, I have Boyle,Souray and Markov.

Luongo4VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 12:34 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

I was going to say no, because perhaps a fine would have sufficed. But, having thought about it, doesn't a suspension end up being more money out of the player's pocket than the fine would have been? I think some teams even pick up the tab on their players' small fines, but missing a game might actually be a game's worth of cash out of Avery's pocket. Clarification from anyone?

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 05:15 AM
Brisk-Illusion

I don’t know where this whole “the NHL is classy” attitude comes from.

This is a league where players are allowed to fight, hit, and throw each other head-first into walls. An NHL game anything but classy, more often than not, players will end up breaking ribs, losing teeth, getting concussions from getting beaten up, and even leaving on stretchers to be rushed to emergency rooms. And that’s fine, it’s the game we all love, and there’s nothing wrong or broken with it, the guys who entertain us understand and accept the risks involved, and are well compensated.

Also, can we stop pretending that NHL players are somehow morally superior? They’ve been caught stealing (O’Byrne), cheating in their spouses (Brodeur), hitting people while driving drunk and leaving the scene of the crime (Bell), and even killing their own teammates because they were too ****ing stupid to drive their expensive cars (Heatly)*. Avery making a comment about his is ex is nothing compared to any of those previous things players do on a regular basis. The NHL is just like every other slice of society, some people are classy, most aren’t, they are flawed human beings, making a crude comment on your own time does not warrant the league’s attention anymore than when a player cheats on his wife, or ends up spending the night in jail because he’s gotten too drunk the night before. (see the Staal brothers)

The notion that the league suspended Avery to prevent an ugly situation on the ice is absurd; does anyone here think that Pheneuf or any other player on the Flames is going to risk his NHL career by going to maliciously attack Avery? I know these guys** are all on steroids and can’t control themselves, but I don’t think anyone would be stupid enough to throw everything they’ve worked for all their lives because Avery made a 3sec comment.

Everyone who truly hates Avery only hates themselves, there’s no reason to hate someone you’ve never met him, someone who’s never done anything to make your (real***) life miserable, and someone who’s only sin is becoming very rich and successful by being themselves. Sean Avery hate is basically the male equivalent of Paris Hilton hate.

*Yes, I went there
**Yes, by “these guys” I do mean the entire Flames’ lineup
*** What happens during an NHL game is not real life, get over it

Brisk-Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2008, 09:46 AM
Noori

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luongo4VP View Post
Hasn't that been the case with Phaneuf all season?

I'm really sad I actually picked him in my hockey pool. But on the brightside, I have Boyle,Souray and Markov.
He'd been "Meh" but the Dallas game was especially bad.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 04:49 PM
uncleben85
My face is my mask.

should of just been fined.

its ridiculous. 2-4 games for head hunting
6 for using the term "sloppy seconds" - and thats literally all it was for.
guarantee if he had said "EX-GIRLFRIENDS" he would have not gotten the attention he has for it.

uncleben85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 05:00 PM
Yzerplan
I has one.

Suspending him 6 games for his remarks about Elisha Cuthbert, which is essentially what they did...its not only unprecedented, but absolutely ridiculous to say the least.

Ryan Hollweg gets 3 games for smashing someone from behind on a dirty hit and Avery gets 6 games for this?! The NHL is a joke sometimes, honestly.

Yzerplan is offline   Reply With Quote