HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Higgins victim of his own success?

Old
12-06-2008, 05:43 PM
habtastic

vCash: 500
bottom line...he can't finish. Has always been his biggest problem when he's not scoring. Not that he doesn't work hard. Not that he doesn't get dirty. Not that he is a liability. Rather when he has a great chance to score...he screws it up. Many commentators (TSN and RDS) have noticed he seems to be too quick for himself, he looks so hyperactive that he loses control of the puck when he's about to shoot. He needs to get his composure back, timing and dare I say a little Max Lapierre of last game soft touch.

That hat trick in Ottawa. I was so excited cuz i thought, oh ****, he's back to his old goal scoring ways, burying them like he can, but then it just seemed to stop (he did go top shelf on all three goals btw, beauties).
He still is doing his job out there and while i'm happy to have the current Koivu line with Dago replacing Higgins, I think without Koivu, he's really gonna have to find ways to do new things with Kovy and Lang (i.e. just get the puck out of the boards and to one of them...pref Kovy as Lang seriously has the worst aim EVER! At least Kovy misses from bad angles).

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 06:15 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika Kostitsyn View Post
Pacioretty hits more in one game than Higgins will ever do in his entire career !!

Mr. "Stone Hands" Higgins is a perimeter floater, while Pacioretty crash the net on a consistent basis.

Pacioretty >>> Higgins !! And it's not even close !!

Shut the **** up.

LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 06:22 PM
LyricalLyricist

This post is true, Higgins wasn't expected to be this good, and now that he isn't a star, people see him as trade bait, it's sad. Gainey is smarter than that, he'll keep him here I think. He's a good complementary player. At the right price, he's an excellent player to have. Smart, well spoken, a leader, has a solid work ethic, he's not the most physical player out there, but it's not his game. Yes yes, would be better if it was but people need to stop worrying about changing the good we have on this team. Even guys like latendresse, leads the team forwards in hits, but it's not enough. Slowly we'll see guys like pacioretty, latendresse, stewart all work together and contribute much more hits. Until then, patience. Let's not destroy the team because one guy isn't as tough as nails. Appreciate him, are we paying him crazy money? no, he has like less than 2 a year, making 25 goals, what's the problem, he's a steal in my book for now. I doubt he'd command high dollars later on either.

Old
12-06-2008, 06:41 PM
smon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erika Kostitsyn View Post
Pacioretty hits more in one game than Higgins will ever do in his entire career !!

Mr. "Stone Hands" Higgins is a perimeter floater, while Pacioretty crash the net on a consistent basis.

Pacioretty >>> Higgins !! And it's not even close !!

There are so many things wrong with this statement that I don't even know where to begin.

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 06:42 PM
smon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
This post is true, Higgins wasn't expected to be this good, and now that he isn't a star, people see him as trade bait, it's sad. Gainey is smarter than that, he'll keep him here I think. He's a good complementary player. At the right price, he's an excellent player to have. Smart, well spoken, a leader, has a solid work ethic, he's not the most physical player out there, but it's not his game. Yes yes, would be better if it was but people need to stop worrying about changing the good we have on this team. Even guys like latendresse, leads the team forwards in hits, but it's not enough. Slowly we'll see guys like pacioretty, latendresse, stewart all work together and contribute much more hits. Until then, patience. Let's not destroy the team because one guy isn't as tough as nails. Appreciate him, are we paying him crazy money? no, he has like less than 2 a year, making 25 goals, what's the problem, he's a steal in my book for now. I doubt he'd command high dollars later on either.
Precisely. So maybe he's not a first liner - but he's a damn good third liner who plays well positionally and can chip in offensively.

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 08:07 PM
BigTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by smon View Post
Precisely. So maybe he's not a first liner - but he's a damn good third liner who plays well positionally and can chip in offensively.
Third liners don't play 17 minutes a game with PP time to boot.

He's a third liner, start using him like one.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 08:31 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimer View Post
Third liners don't play 17 minutes a game with PP time to boot.

He's a third liner, start using him like one.
While people say he's a good 3rd liner, I don't believe that, he's a second line player. 3rd line players aren't two-way players who can play pk, pp, and make nearly 30 goals. Why can't he be just a good player, he's either overrated or underrated. He's a good player. Last year, 3rd on the team in goals. What's the big problem? I honestly don't get what the fuss is about.

Old
12-06-2008, 08:49 PM
MTL-rules

The way he played tonight it might be his time to ne in the Press box...

Him and Kovalev were brutal all game long, espacially in their zone...

Next game Begin and Higgins out... Sergei and Lats in... Kovalev on the 4th line...

Way too bold for the coach who refuse to play Hamrlik on the PP and puts Lang and Brisebois on the point...

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 08:53 PM
BigTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
While people say he's a good 3rd liner, I don't believe that, he's a second line player. 3rd line players aren't two-way players who can play pk, pp, and make nearly 30 goals. Why can't he be just a good player, he's either overrated or underrated. He's a good player. Last year, 3rd on the team in goals. What's the big problem? I honestly don't get what the fuss is about.
The fuss is/should be about the ice-time he receives, along with the fact that he has always been on a line with players better than him. He also never gets demoted or singled out for poor play. We know his plateau; 25 goals, 25 assists and that's with oodles of ice-time. Give those oodles to someone with untapped potential, because Higgins isn't getting it done offensively.

Old
12-06-2008, 08:55 PM
habdynasty

no one produces playing with kovalev

habdynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 08:59 PM
BigTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
The way he played tonight it might be his time to ne in the Press box...

Him and Kovalev were brutal all game long, espacially in their zone...

Next game Begin and Higgins out... Sergei and Lats in... Kovalev on the 4th line...

Way too bold for the coach who refuse to play Hamrlik on the PP and puts Lang and Brisebois on the point...
Laraque out.

Old
12-06-2008, 09:24 PM
mlandry

Higgins is a decent player but he's overrated I find.

It seems he always plays well for like half the season and the other half he's horrible. I always hear about his potential but that's not that problem IMO, it's his inconsistency.

I think he's just too weak mentally. I know he even admitted last year it was all in his head.

I hope he can stay at a consistent level for an entire season in the future but this year is looking very familiar with him.

mlandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 10:02 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Higgins has a great set of tools, but simply lacks vision, and isn't able to set up anyone except himself, and has trouble finishing. He's a good 2nd/3rd liner in the NHL though still, but I think our expectations were off on his ceiling thanks to some big games on TSN where Pierre McGuire got off on him...

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 11:56 PM
compile

vCash: 611
Higgins is a decent 2 way player. Put him with Plekanec and A.Kostitsyn who are both speedy, and he'll eventually score. Koivu slows him down and Tanguay is well just Tanguay (you could put him with anyone).

The lineup should be:
Higgins/D'Agostini - Plekanec - A.Kostitsyn
Tanguay - Koivu - Kovalev
Latendress - Lang - S. Kostitsyn
BGL/Begin/Dandy/Paco - Lapierre/Chipchura - Kosto

Markov - Komisarek
Gorges - Hamrlik
Boullion - Carle/Valentenko()/Weber

Brisebois and O'Byrne shouldn't play the rest of the season, heck I'd trade both and hopefully get a prospect or maybe a package deal for a better dman.

The team is lacking a spark, and the more I watch Kovalev the more apparent it is about his "character profile." 1 good season 1 bad season, and repeat. In order to win ANYTHING, you can't have that. I'd package him up with O'Byrne and a pick for someone else (ahem Kovalchuk pls).

compile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 03:04 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimer View Post
The fuss is/should be about the ice-time he receives, along with the fact that he has always been on a line with players better than him. He also never gets demoted or singled out for poor play. We know his plateau; 25 goals, 25 assists and that's with oodles of ice-time. Give those oodles to someone with untapped potential, because Higgins isn't getting it done offensively.
Who's to say he doesn't have untapped potential. He was supposed to be a third liner, became a solid second liner. While unlikely, maybe he can be even better, who knows. His ice time? What about it? 17 min a game or whatever you said? Yup, that's clearly franchise player minutes or maybe, a second line player is getting second line ice time, could it be? Yes, he used to be on the first line with Koivu a couple years ago, but there was no one else to put there before, so he got the chance.

Higgins got 17:01 yesterday vs Devils, 6th out of our forwards. This does not inclue d-men, just incase people bring that up.

Higgins got 16:05 vs NYR, 5th out of our forwards, with many many right behind him.

His average ice time this year: 16:56.

Last year it was 17:57.

What's the problem? A second line guy, who's responsible defensively, who could play PP AND PK gets 17ish minutes a game? Why is this the end of the world?

Old
12-07-2008, 03:06 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaHabs View Post
Higgins is a decent 2 way player. Put him with Plekanec and A.Kostitsyn who are both speedy, and he'll eventually score. Koivu slows him down and Tanguay is well just Tanguay (you could put him with anyone).

The lineup should be:
Higgins/D'Agostini - Plekanec - A.Kostitsyn
Tanguay - Koivu - Kovalev
Latendress - Lang - S. Kostitsyn
BGL/Begin/Dandy/Paco - Lapierre/Chipchura - Kosto

Markov - Komisarek
Gorges - Hamrlik
Boullion - Carle/Valentenko()/Weber

Brisebois and O'Byrne shouldn't play the rest of the season, heck I'd trade both and hopefully get a prospect or maybe a package deal for a better dman.

The team is lacking a spark, and the more I watch Kovalev the more apparent it is about his "character profile." 1 good season 1 bad season, and repeat. In order to win ANYTHING, you can't have that. I'd package him up with O'Byrne and a pick for someone else (ahem Kovalchuk pls).
We tried that second line, didn't work.

Old
12-07-2008, 03:14 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostitsyn1489 View Post
Chris Higgins wasn't known as an offensive player when he got drafted. He's got drafted for his speed, for his defensive game, for his leadership and his work ethic. Hoping that it'll lead to some goals as well, but it's not his primairy roll. He's got here played great defensively as a rookie. Couldn't seem to score, but he was still very effective. Came back after the OG and played with a red hot Saku Koivu that just won the Silver medal and then he started to score like mad. He raised expectation for the enxt season, could he be the 40 goals scorer we are looking for so long? Why not?

He started the next season scoring at the same pace he finished the previous season, maybe even better. His wrist shot is sick, does he have it all to be captain someday? He scores on the PP Even Strenght, hell even on the PK. Then he goes down with an injury come back he's clearly slowed down and finish the season with average offensive production. The following year he gets his first 50 points season, get nearly 30 goals. He's not producing at the pace he was at in his hot streak, but he's producing more then everybody expected when he first joined the team. He comes back this year, miss the beggining of the season is put with Koivu again he scores quite a bit. Then play on different line every game and is now considered as a good trade bait. He can't score so even if he's still really good defensively he's useless and is expendable.

I liked Chris Higgins when he couldnt score because i liked his other skills, those skills are still there so why hating him now?

He was injured for the first several games and well he might not even be at 100% now, he might not be at the same level other players are shape wise and he's now playing with a guy that nobody could do anything with this season, how can you blame him for not scoring?

Still the guy is on pace for 20 goals, would be his worst season offensively, but it wouldnt be the first time a guy struggle in the first 20 games of a season? I'm not sure he played at 100% since last season. Does he try too much offensively? I think so. He should play his game and himself not thinking he's a great offensive player cause he's got a good streak.

I'm sure it'll be the same as it happened to alot of player. He comes late in the NHL, people have doubts on him, then he's doing good fans think he's bigger then he really is then struggle"IN ONE ASPECT OF HIS GAME" so we should trade him before he has no value to finally settle down as a pretty good player that maybe didnt match the high expectation, but that is still one really good player, better then expectation on draft day, but not as much as after his first hot streak.

There's a difference between being hard on players and being foolish. It's not because he played higher then expectation for 35 games that he'll keep it up for 1000. ItK's not because he's under the expectation for 20 games that he'll struggle for the remaining of his career.

Also 2 way players like Higgins peak later then skilled offensive minded guys.

I just hope the same won't happen to a guy like Pacioretty cause I'm pretty sure both will have similar career and similar ups and downs.
Excellent post.

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 03:16 PM
FerrisRox

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
Higgins has a great set of tools, but simply lacks vision, and isn't able to set up anyone except himself, and has trouble finishing. He's a good 2nd/3rd liner in the NHL though still, but I think our expectations were off on his ceiling thanks to some big games on TSN where Pierre McGuire got off on him...
Is that really how you form your opinion of a player? Why not, you know, just watch him? You need to be told by Pierre Maguire?

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote