HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PGT: Meh, just let Markov be OK

Old
12-06-2008, 10:28 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
That's basically what I think of it. A meh game, a meh effort by the Habs, but I just want Markov to be OK. I'll exchange a point in order for him to be healthy. We really didn't deserve to win this game, even beyond the PP struggles and Kovalev's latest booboo.
I thought the effort was good early on but New Jersey outskated us later in the game. Both goalies gave up bad goals but made some nices saves later on. I think what cost us the extra point was not finish at least one more chance in the 1st.

The PP is moving the puck well but not finishing.

One guy I'd like to see in the press box next game is Plekanec, him and Tanguay were freaking useless tonight. Pleks either lost the puck or skated towards the blueline, Tanguay just skates around the perimiter and when he gets the puck in the slot he doesn't shoot.

Agree on Markov...but i think he'll be fine, it hit him in the nose, it hurts like hell at first but should not keep him out of the lineup.

Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 10:28 PM
Hab-a-maniac

It's a good sign going forward if we're this good record-wise with Kovy struggling like it's 2003 and he's on the New York Rangers. I own a RBK jersey with his name but if we don't re-sign him, I feel ok about still wearing it considering what he has done. But if Kovy doesn't manage to give us 20-25 goals by year's end, he won't get much of a raise from us or any other team for that matter.

Hab-a-maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 10:29 PM
Born in 1909
Vive la France!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogurt View Post
The lack of PP production went from a back-burner issue to the forefront tonight.

This team can't continue to have a PP producing at a shade over 10% and expect to keep up with the top teams in the conference. If they even had a middle-of-the-pack PP it would make a world of difference.

So what's the solution? Is it internal or is it something that the GM has to take care of? Because I don't have a clue.
time to bring up Weber for an experimental trial run

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 10:30 PM
Hab-a-maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylife View Post
Based on how well D'Ago's call-up has gone, I say why not?

Old
12-06-2008, 10:35 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitehowl View Post
How many times a game do you see Breeze standing still looking back hoping Price saves his a**. Is there any way he can get his 1000th game with Hamilton
Price belongs in Hamilton, he needed Brisebois to save his ass in the 3rd.

Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 10:36 PM
Chomsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylife View Post
Obi down, Weber up? Why not.

Chomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 10:43 PM
Nitehowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Price belongs in Hamilton, he needed Brisebois to save his ass in the 3rd.
Why did BG ever give Breeze $1.5 when no one else wanted him. I think 500,000 was enough.

Nitehowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 11:05 PM
HockeyF3ind

Quote:
How many times a game do you see Breeze standing still looking back hoping Price saves his a**. Is there any way he can get his 1000th game with Hamilton
Did you not see him save a goal with the shaft of his stick??? If not for Breezer we would have lost in regulation.

HockeyF3ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 11:05 PM
madbox

Didn't find they worked collectively, boys were making me nauseous in our own zone all night, was giving me fits. The Devils flubbed on so many scoring opporunities, it's a wonder they only tallied one in regulation.

Tanguay needs to get off the point on the PP already, seriously. 46464646464646

madbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 11:06 PM
HockeyF3ind

Quote:
Why did BG ever give Breeze $1.5 when no one else wanted him. I think 500,000 was enough.
Correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't Breezer taken Leauge minimum the last two seasons with 750K??

HockeyF3ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 11:09 PM
Rayne*

Quote:
$750K base salary + $750K signing bonus is what I think it actually is. Sadly those both count against the cap, so yeah, $1.5M.

Rayne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 11:18 PM
Hab-a-maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomsky View Post
Obi down, Weber up? Why not.
Because O'Byrne will have to clear waivers. As sucky as he has been, do you want another d-man lost via waivers? Doug McLean isn't the only GM in history who would pick up a young d-man off the waiver wire. O'Byrne's former agent is the Nucks GM now after all. I would think about either a trade or just getting rid of Breezy's ass somehow if at all possible.

Old
12-06-2008, 11:26 PM
Teufelsdreck

I could see the loss coming. The Devils were starting to take over starting in the second period. They cycled and cycled and cycled and the Habs could do little except rely on Price, who did a good job until the unfortunate penaty that extended into OT. The only bright spot (besides Price) was d'Agostini's continued scoring. I wouldn't wait 20-25 games to test him; 10 should be enough, and if he's still playoing well, SKost will have to be shipped to Hamilton.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 11:36 PM
Turboflex*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
I could see the loss coming. The Devils were starting to take over starting in the second period. They cycled and cycled and cycled and the Habs could do little except rely on Price, who did a good job until the unfortunate penaty that extended into OT. The only bright spot (besides Price) was d'Agostini's continued scoring. I wouldn't wait 20-25 games to test him; 10 should be enough, and if he's still playoing well, SKost will have to be shipped to Hamilton.
Devils had a very strong cycle, that's where the habs really miss big bodies on D like Komisarek and O'Byrne.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 12:06 AM
hackeyisneat
Incostitsynt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashy View Post
Well, I for one, say screw the two PP units, put your 5 best guys on the ice for 2 minutes, and that for me would be Koivu, AK46, Tanguay, Markov and D'ago...and I would put AK on the point with Markov.

Cuz it just ain't working the way it is.
I agree, and Kovy on the point is a great idea, could break his goal slump. Keep in mind he's still putting up assists near every game, but can't get open on the right side of the PP anymore so it's time for a change. If there's one thing he's always great at it's puck control and mainly keeping the puck in the opposition's zone with those quick hands. (except if he over commits and does lose it, will he have the hustle to get back?)

As for Price's over commitment in the OT, he was hung out to dry numerous times in the third and saved the point for us. How he ever got his stick on that wide open Elias chance and put the puck over the net I don't know.

hackeyisneat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 12:31 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Basically if we loose Markov we are screwed big time. Regardless of howlong, hes our Best D, and as Much as I love Gorges, he can't fill Markov's shoes. MAAAAAAAAAYBE Hammer but its a massive long shot. Markov is irreplaceable on our team as far as I'm concerned. I wish him a speedy recovery.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 12:40 AM
totalrecall

nobody can fill markov's shoes

totalrecall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 12:48 AM
LesHabsRock

Habs probably deserved better than a 1-0 lead after the first period. I was frustrated that Clemmenson made so many spectacular saves on us, particularly off a Kovy back hand which I thought was a sure goal. We did deserve a better fate, but I'll take the point and run. That's just the type of game the Devils play and the Habs are adjusting and winning games lately by playing a similar way defensively since goal scoring for them is in a drought. Kudos to the coaching staff for making this adjustment to compensate and recognize the offense wasn't scoring. The NHL is a point-driven league and is not based on win percentage like other pro sports, so we got a point. As long as they keep getting points in losses and two points in wins they'll get they're 100 point season. 35 points now puts them 4th seed and moves them ahead of Pittsburgh who lost to Ottawa today with even number of games played. Go Habs Go. Let's beat Calgary.

LesHabsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 12:50 AM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayne View Post
$750K base salary + $750K signing bonus is what I think it actually is. Sadly those both count against the cap, so yeah, $1.5M.
Its $750K worth of bonuses. They only count if he hits them, which he wont.

Bad Natey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 01:06 AM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Doesn't look serious for Markov. Carbo didn't mention anything, so maybe it was just precautionary as it was late in the game. Hamrlik had a same type of shot 2 weeks ago.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 01:45 AM
MM425

Good god... why is it that every time we play the Devils the game is brutally boring.

I don't even blame the Devils because other times when I watch them, they're OK... for some reason whenever the Habs and Devils play it's a boring game.

At least we got a point

MM425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 03:07 AM
Kimota
Three Bananas

Two things I noticed in this game:

1. Why did Carbo decide to play the Devils' style? We don't have the physical strength to match and all it does is become a chest game.

2. Whatever happened to our speed? Last year we would have had drawn circles around these guys. I remember we made a comeback and it seemed easy to do and they couldn't compete with our firepower. It's like somebody replaced the legs of Plekanec in the off season and gave him the legs of a 90 years old man. That guy used to be a rocket, flying like you would not believe, taking the other teams by surprise.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 03:51 AM
peperebougon*

Quote:
Originally Posted by habhob View Post
OK. I know we have PP problems, but Laraque on the PP just before Pleks neutralized it by taking a penalty.

I would have tried that long ago.... you park his big ass in front of the goalie. When a goalie is in the zone you gotta try stuff.

peperebougon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 04:12 AM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 1976
just got home from Radio Lounge.

Higgins, Price, Gorges, O'Byrne and D'agostini were there having a grand ol time after the OT loss.

...alex despatie was there too

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 06:09 AM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbox View Post
Tanguay needs to get off the point on the PP already, seriously. 46464646464646
That's a great idea, I hope Carbo does that. I'd love to see Beliveau and Kostopoulos on the point

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote