HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#26 -- Flyers @ Hurricanes -- Saturday, December 6, 2008 -- 7:00 PM (ET)

Old
12-06-2008, 10:15 PM
bney7

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamski7 View Post
to be fair, maybe if FF didnt throw call 50 passing plays a game and become utterly predictable while refusing to run the ball and then the eagles still were average....

then yes maybe he would deserve most of it.

but FF doesnt learn. throws it 50 times a game and everyone sitting at home can call the plays and so can opposing defenses.
Oh I agree, I want Reid gone. But 5 does deserve some blame. I'd love to have 5 back with a new coach next year. . . Just don't like the odds of that occurring.

bney7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 10:19 PM
shamski7

Send a message via AIM to shamski7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bney7 View Post
Oh I agree, I want Reid gone. But 5 does deserve some blame. I'd love to have 5 back with a new coach next year. . . Just don't like the odds of that occurring.
right, im not saying mcnabb gets a pass. hes gotta shoulder some of the blame. i would like to see him come back next year with a different coach. i'm not sold on kolb, i dont think hes got the arm.

shamski7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 10:26 PM
wahoowa
All in the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamski7 View Post
right, im not saying mcnabb gets a pass. hes gotta shoulder some of the blame. i would like to see him come back next year with a different coach. i'm not sold on kolb, i dont think hes got the arm.
Kolb looks like a bust to me. He's got a noodle arm like Jeff Garcia, but I haven't seen any reason to believe he can efficiently run a west coast offense.

I think at this point everyone is hoping Reid 'resigns' to deal with familial issues. But I know we will probably win 2 or 3 out of the next 4, just miss the playoffs, and he'll be back.

wahoowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 10:54 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoowa View Post
Kolb looks like a bust to me. He's got a noodle arm like Jeff Garcia, but I haven't seen any reason to believe he can efficiently run a west coast offense.
How could anyone know, he doesn't get on the field. Unless you are watching him in practice, there is no rationale on base that on.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 11:18 PM
shamski7

Send a message via AIM to shamski7
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
How could anyone know, he doesn't get on the field. Unless you are watching him in practice, there is no rationale on base that on.
when he played in baltimore you could tell he doesnt have great arm strength. maybe we're all used to mcnabb's cannon?

i agree that its not fair to call him a bust based on 2 quarters of football against a top defense.

shamski7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 11:54 PM
wahoowa
All in the Game

Quote:
You're definitely right; I can't be sure that Kolb is a bust. But watching the preseason, where I was looking for some form of improvement, and watching the bits in the Pitt and Baltimore game, I just don't see anything that would make him an outstanding quarterback.

I just remember watching Dono come into his first game, which was a surprisingly similar situation to Kolb this year. He came in midway through a game against the Bucs, who of course for years (and now) were a great defensive team. Warren Sapp likened his entry to 'fresh meat coming in', and Dono was something like 4-12. But even through that misery, I saw potential: a rocket arm, quick feet, etc. With Kolb... I just don't see anything special. I hope I'm wrong.

And, just as a side note, I did go to Lehigh for training camp the past two years. But even that is a poor measuring stick, considering I left thinking about Reggie Brown's breakout year (for the third year in a row) and Lorenzo Booker's blazing speed.

Old
12-06-2008, 11:56 PM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

vCash: 50
well I am glad The Flyers won, takes the sting off UNH losing that playoff game tonite.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 11:59 PM
wahoowa
All in the Game

That's too bad; my relatives live right outside of UNH in Lee. My uncle is a big time UNH hockey fan, so I'm sure he's disappointed.

Old
12-07-2008, 12:35 AM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoowa View Post
That's too bad; my relatives live right outside of UNH in Lee. My uncle is a big time UNH hockey fan, so I'm sure he's disappointed.
turned the ball over 6 times. not gonna beat anyone doing that.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 02:24 AM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Dude you should live here and see what they say about McNabb and half of the Phillies. The Phillies won this town's first championship in 25 years and people complained on the radio for three days about how Chase Utley dropped an f-bomb and how classless he is. The same guy who played half the season with a torn up hip and never complained or make excuses. Of course I'm not talking about people on here, but that's Philadelphia.
Really? I'm glad I wasn't home to hear any of that. That's just soft. Then again, I guess Philadelphians will find anything to complain about... they know no other way.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 05:19 AM
BerubeBox*

A few of my observations...

Enough has been said about Vaananen already. He rocks.

Nitty was very solid.

Alberts is becoming one of our most underrated players, judging by some of the comments on this board. He's one of our better offensive defensemen. Good puck moving and smart pinches. I can remember about 10 plays this year that qualified as pinches, and we didn't get burned on any of them.

Knuble has really impressed me this year. Good hustle, a few nice 1-on-1 moves, and most surprisingly, good hands. It might not always be pretty but I have a feeling he gave up on trying to really control the puck fluidly. Instead he just bats it back and forth like a surgeon.

Hartnell had another solid game. Good jump. Probably only stands out so much in contrast with the blunders.

BerubeBox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 08:16 AM
RoDu

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerubeBox View Post
Alberts is becoming one of our most underrated players, judging by some of the comments on this board. He's one of our better offensive defensemen. Good puck moving and smart pinches. I can remember about 10 plays this year that qualified as pinches, and we didn't get burned on any of them.

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 08:31 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

He's right. Alberts has been solid in his last 7-8 games. Looks like a good pick up now from holmgren. Maybe it was the fact that he had to learn how to play the game without being in a system

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 09:07 AM
BerubeBox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
He had a lot to prove. We all saw him as less than mediocre from the start, but he's been surprisingly good at the transitional side of the game.

BerubeBox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 09:38 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 800
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Alberts has certainly played much better as of late. He had a great game last night.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 09:43 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 552
Alberts has played his best when he was paired with Kukkonen. He's been able to step up in the play more often and contribute. Sound like any other defensemen not named Timonen or Coburn?

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 10:20 AM
AaronTrieu

gotta give a small amount of props to kuks. ever since getting waived he has been pretty good.

AaronTrieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 12:02 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronTrieu View Post
gotta give a small amount of props to kuks. ever since getting waived he has been pretty good.
Absolutely!

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 12:02 AM
kicksave27

Quote:
Originally Posted by smacklby View Post
well, when was the last time you saw Carter shoot a one-timer???

i dont think i've ever seen him shoot a one-timer....

just saying, you are never too good to work on some part of your game....
Most of carters goals come off of turnovers or coming off the half wall. Both mainly wrister situations. He has one of the best wrist shots in the game, and can beat goalies from long distance with it. Guys with that kind of wrist shot are tougher for a goalie to face than a guy with a rocket slap shot.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 11:33 AM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
Most of carters goals come off of turnovers or coming off the half wall. Both mainly wrister situations. He has one of the best wrist shots in the game, and can beat goalies from long distance with it. Guys with that kind of wrist shot are tougher for a goalie to face than a guy with a rocket slap shot.
That's all fine and good, but there's clearly aspects to his game that can be improved.

Of course, he'd have to pass the puck to someone else in order to get set up for one-timers.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 11:38 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Carter should bomb some one timers on the PP

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 10:05 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 2360
Since I didn't see the game, was this an issue for anyone?

Quote:
http://blogs.newsobserver.com/sports...carolinas-says

Fox Sports Carolinas now says that it was to blame for commercials that were aired while the puck was in play Saturday during the hockey game between the Carolina Hurricanes and Philadelphia Flyers, which the Flyers won in overtime.

Viewers believe that ads broke into the action twice — once near the end of the second period — though none of the goals was pre-empted.

"It was an issue at our master control," says Kate Hart, a spokeswoman for Fox Sports Carolinas. "It was not Time Warner’s fault. ... We’re trying not to point fingers at anybody.

We’re sorry it happened, and we’re working to make sure it won’t happen again."

But TWC representatives were sensitive Monday to the impression that the cable company was indeed being blamed for the inadvertent commercial breaks. Because it had not heard of other systems having the same problems, FS Carolinas initially believed the problem was caused at Time Warner's end, probably by a malfunction in the automated equipment that inserts commercials.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote