HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What's wrong with Kovalev???

Old
12-06-2008, 09:15 PM
Nashy
The Honey Badger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
Very costly penalty in the offensive zone tonight at the end of the game, costing us the game...
Yeah, that and the no scoring thing is beginning to get annoying.

Nashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 09:18 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashy View Post
Yeah, that and the no scoring thing is beginning to get annoying.
Sorry to say but I found that comment ironic when looking at your avatar...

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 09:22 PM
Nashy
The Honey Badger

Quote:
Sorry to say but I found that comment ironic when looking at your avatar...
Yeah, he needs some pine time, too, but he's not the team's sniper, though, and I think Kovalev is at 15 games without a goal....Higgins ain't there....yet.

Nashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 09:24 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Did the player have the puck in his skates? If that was the case it was a bad call from the Ref. You couldn't see the puck at all on the replay they showed.

I thought the Plekanec penality was worse thah that one.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 11:24 PM
prairie hab

Higgins, Pleks and Kovy are next to have their ice time reduced.

It worked for Lapierre, Begin, and Dandy. Guy needs to continue sending a message.

prairie hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2008, 11:39 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Did the player have the puck in his skates? If that was the case it was a bad call from the Ref. You couldn't see the puck at all on the replay they showed.

I thought the Plekanec penality was worse thah that one.
I just saw the replay and the puck wasn't in the skates, it was heading to the corner... bad penalty, costly penalty.

Old
12-07-2008, 12:00 AM
Iwishihadacup

Kovalev is really starting to cost us some points

I would like to see him go down for a few games to let a more hungry player take his place, would be very nice

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 08:22 AM
RushDP

Quote:
I just saw the replay and the puck wasn't in the skates, it was heading to the corner... bad penalty, costly penalty.
Can you provide a link? All I saw was the angle where you couldn't see where the puck was at all. That was the CBC feed but I'd like to see the angle you saw with the puck heading into the corner since it must have been from the other side of the rink.

I thought from the immediate reaction Kovalev gave that he was playing the puck.

RushDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 08:40 AM
RushDP

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie hab View Post
Higgins, Pleks and Kovy are next to have their ice time reduced.

It worked for Lapierre, Begin, and Dandy. Guy needs to continue sending a message.
Are you suggesting that you should treat 4th liners and top liners the same way? There are too many 4th liners as is when they are all healthy so some will sit anyway but to sit top liners and replace them with 4th liners is dumb. Calling up from the farm for a few games is equally as dumb just to make a point and embarrass your key personel.

Higgins would react the right way, get the message and do better once back. Pleks may do the same or get alienated and go the other way. Kovy would just resent the embarrassment of being sat out and tune out the coach. I'd do the same if I was him.

A coach has to manage egos and get the best out of their players. Do you seriously believe that sitting Kovy will get the best out of him the next game? He is working hard despite what some haters say here and it is pretty hard to sit a guy that is working hard. Instead, you could take him aside and ask him what you could do together to make his game better. First, take him off the PK. Save him for PP and regular shifts, why give him extra ice during a PK when there are plenty of younger legs out there that can do that job? Second, Kovy on the half boards in a PP is exactly what the other team expects so change it up. They collapse on him and suffocate him so there is no real advantage to having him there. There are changes that can be made before we sit the guy and lose him for good. For no good reason other than to satisfy Kovy haters.

BTW, should we have sat Koivu for a couple of games last year because when it came to stupid boneheaded penalties at the worst time he took the cake. This year he has changed that aspect of his game and he has been amazing as captain. Gets better every game.

Old
12-07-2008, 09:42 AM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
Originally Posted by RushDP View Post
Are you suggesting that you should treat 4th liners and top liners the same way? There are too many 4th liners as is when they are all healthy so some will sit anyway but to sit top liners and replace them with 4th liners is dumb. Calling up from the farm for a few games is equally as dumb just to make a point and embarrass your key personel.

Higgins would react the right way, get the message and do better once back. Pleks may do the same or get alienated and go the other way. Kovy would just resent the embarrassment of being sat out and tune out the coach. I'd do the same if I was him.

A coach has to manage egos and get the best out of their players. Do you seriously believe that sitting Kovy will get the best out of him the next game? He is working hard despite what some haters say here and it is pretty hard to sit a guy that is working hard. Instead, you could take him aside and ask him what you could do together to make his game better. First, take him off the PK. Save him for PP and regular shifts, why give him extra ice during a PK when there are plenty of younger legs out there that can do that job? Second, Kovy on the half boards in a PP is exactly what the other team expects so change it up. They collapse on him and suffocate him so there is no real advantage to having him there. There are changes that can be made before we sit the guy and lose him for good. For no good reason other than to satisfy Kovy haters.

BTW, should we have sat Koivu for a couple of games last year because when it came to stupid boneheaded penalties at the worst time he took the cake. This year he has changed that aspect of his game and he has been amazing as captain. Gets better every game.
I don't think Kovalev plays better than any of our 4th liner BTW

Old
12-07-2008, 09:56 AM
kovalost27

A lot of our goals in the last 4 games have been a result of Kovalev's playmaking skills. To say that he's not playing well is stupid.

However, to say that he's not scoring is quite accurate. Kovalev just needs to break the ice, and once he does this, hfboards Montreal Canadiens board posters will have to start much more creative posts.

Happy bashing for the time being!

kovalost27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 10:12 AM
sampollock

his chance of getting resigned by bob is nil

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 10:15 AM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampollock View Post
his chance of getting resigned by bob is nil
And I got my ass blasted for making a thread about which UFA Gainey would sign between Tanguay and Kovalev.....

Right now I wouldn't mind it if we didn't sign either.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 10:25 AM
sampollock

funny that #27, comes off a great year, and then bites,

bob might go out, and bring in that big scoring winger yet, before the deadline

Old
12-07-2008, 10:35 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Can you provide a link? All I saw was the angle where you couldn't see where the puck was at all. That was the CBC feed but I'd like to see the angle you saw with the puck heading into the corner since it must have been from the other side of the rink.

I thought from the immediate reaction Kovalev gave that he was playing the puck.
We should have traded him this summer when we had a chance and when his value was (finally) high! This guy really pisses me off on most nights. Give that same talent to Begin or transplant Begin's heart into Kovalev, and see him leading the NHL in scoring!

Old
12-07-2008, 10:39 AM
C4KOMI

he'll be back on the 2nd half of the season if not gone for good.

C4KOMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 10:44 AM
Johnny Hotrox

Quote:
We should have traded him this summer when we had a chance and when his value was (finally) high! This guy really pisses me off on most nights. Give that same talent to Begin or transplant Begin's heart into Kovalev, and see him leading the NHL in scoring!
I don't understand the questioning of Kovy's heart, he plays his best hockey in the playoffs.

Johnny Hotrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 10:50 AM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Hotrox View Post
I don't understand the questioning of Kovy's heart, he plays his best hockey in the playoffs.
oh... Then after looking at last year's playoff, I REALLY dont want to sign him BACK

imagine what his worst hockey his

Old
12-07-2008, 10:58 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Hotrox View Post
I've heard that a lot. Where was he last year? I'd rather have someone else, someone with grit, someone with heart.

Old
12-07-2008, 11:25 AM
sampollock

seems , like he does not care,

lost his heart?

Old
12-07-2008, 12:33 PM
mariolemieux66

Send a message via Skype™ to mariolemieux66
I dont care what is going on with Kovalev.

GET HIM OUT...NOW!

mariolemieux66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 02:38 PM
RushDP

Quote:
Thanks for the non-link to the replay where you state that the puck was away from the action when Kovy got the penalty that did us in.

I can now see that you did not in fact watch any replay but are still providing an opinion that it was conclusive.

Provide a link to the replay you claim was conclusive. If you can't do so then at least admit your hate.

Old
12-07-2008, 02:43 PM
RushDP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
I don't think Kovalev plays better than any of our 4th liner BTW
Clearly you know nothing when it comes to hockey. If you can't see that the effort is there but the results are not then you have an issue with Kovalev pure and simple.

Tell me, how many fourth liners are in the top three point producers of this team right now? How may 4th liners are on the PK, PP and regular shifts?

Kovy haters are the same guys that were Koivu haters last season. They just need to find something to be negative about.

Old
12-07-2008, 02:50 PM
RushDP

Quote:
I've heard that a lot. Where was he last year? I'd rather have someone else, someone with grit, someone with heart.

Aside from Koivu who was our #1 playoff performer who did more than Kovalev? He had game winning goals, was a factor all the time and was the first to publicly say it as it was: we outplayed the Flyers but the goalie beat us.

Where was the rest of the team is what you should be asking? Starting with Price followed by the young guys that helped get us to the playoffs. They all disappeared but hey what the hell just pin it on Kovy, who is the only reason we made the playoffs but we'll convenientely forget that part of the equation.

Old
12-07-2008, 02:53 PM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
Clearly you know nothing when it comes to hockey. If you can't see that the effort is there but the results are not then you have an issue with Kovalev pure and simple.

Tell me, how many fourth liners are in the top three point producers of this team right now? How may 4th liners are on the PK, PP and regular shifts?

Kovy haters are the same guys that were Koivu haters last season. They just need to find something to be negative about.
I love unconditionnally Koivu last year, I liked Kovy also, but you must be blind to just rely on stats and saying "OMG LOLZOR KOVY IS THE ROCKZOR!!1!!! HATERS DUNNO SHIZNIT OLOL!!!1111oneone!!!ONEONE!!

the fourth liners are creating more opportunities to score than him, and when he creates some, 75% of the chances he blew them. And his assists are primary secondary ones that are the consequence of him playing with players that can put them in it, Which he can't. The biggest example on how he is bad this year is Baldtitsyn's play
Last year, when Kovy was good, so did Andrei, Kovy was actually passing the puck, letting Baldy dominate, now this year, Andrei playing with Kovalev was a non-factor. You must be blind if you can't see the difference between a freed Andrei and an Andrei playing with Kovalev