HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Help with Computer

Closed Thread

Old
12-06-2008, 11:59 PM
Delat

vCash: 500
Help with Computer

I posted this in the geek emporium but nobody seems to go there so I'll try in here to get a faster answer...

I would like to know the best way to remove a trojan from my CPU. Avast is telling me I have a trojan each second and now I have lots of publicity pages opening. How can I get rid of that?

Thanks for your help guys (and girls).

Old
12-07-2008, 12:05 AM
overlords
Hfboards

any anti virus like norton or AVG (my recommendation) should take care of it if it's a well enough known trojan. If mainstream anti-viruses don't take care of it, a simple reformat will do the trick.

Old
12-07-2008, 12:08 AM
overlords
Hfboards

forgot to mention, avg is my recommendation because it is free. just google it.

Old
12-07-2008, 12:18 AM
Delat

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
any anti virus like norton or AVG (my recommendation) should take care of it if it's a well enough known trojan. If mainstream anti-viruses don't take care of it, a simple reformat will do the trick.

Is avast good?

Old
12-07-2008, 12:21 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delat View Post
Is avast good?
if it isn't helping you remove the trojan, then no, it probably isn't. I haven't heard too much about it and i asked a fellow compsci friend about it and he wasn't too familiar with it either. Usually an anti virus has a way of helping you remove it, you can give avg a try and if u don't like it, just uninstall it.

Old
12-07-2008, 12:41 AM
Rayne*

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
No.

More info on the trojan will help.

Old
12-07-2008, 12:45 AM
snakeye

Normal answer people give is run hijackthis and paste the logs. Maybe if you do that then we can determine more accurately what this piece of chit malware is.

Also, try Ad-Aware 2008 free, it finds and removes a lot of crap, and might solve your problem.

http://www.lavasoft.com/products/ad_aware_free.php

Old
12-07-2008, 12:47 AM
snakeye

Normal answer people give is run hijackthis and paste the logs. Maybe if you do that then we can determine more accurately what this piece of chit malware is.

Also, try Ad-Aware 2008 free, it finds a lot of crap, and might solve your problem.

http://www.lavasoft.com/products/ad_aware_free.php

You can also take a screenshot of the process tab in the task manager, sometimes malware is very obviously spotted there. You can also go start > run > msconfig and see if there are any software that you are not familiar with.

wth? Double post? O_o

Old
12-07-2008, 02:04 AM
Iggy-4-50

Spyware Doctor is the best if you have a problem IMO, they seem to find malware before it's released...hmmm
Seriously, you get what you pay for. the free ones are a joke as most just find the problem but not get rid of them until you buy.

I use Kaspersky AV now days, and I haven't had to worry about anything getting into my PC and it's very tame on the system.

Old
12-07-2008, 08:33 AM
Delat

I ran spyware doctor and Hijackthis and I saved a logfile...

Spyware doctor said it removed things but I still have those popups once in a while, and expecially when I open my CPU...

What should I do next, anyone knows how I can deal with the logfile and find the spyware?

Old
12-07-2008, 09:22 AM
Coldplay
Courage

Back when I had a PC, thank God I've moved on to the light, I used Kaspersky, worth every penny.

Old
12-07-2008, 09:27 AM
sammy87

I have always had luck using TrendMicro Sysclean.
  • - Go to http://www.trendmicro.com/download/dcs.asp and download the Sysclean Package(located under "if you are not a TrendMicro customer
  • - Go to http://www.trendmicro.com/download/viruspattern.asp and download the latest virus pattern .zip file
  • - Go to http://www.trendmicro.com/download/spywarepattern.asp and download the zip file under the heading "Detection and Cleanup (Trend Micro Anti-Spyware) – Ssapiptn.Da5 "
  • -Create a Folder on your desktop. Copy the sysclean app into the folder, and then unzip the two pattern files and copy the contents into the folder.
  • -Open sysclean and choose the run option. It will open some command prompts and scan through your system, you may have to click ok a couple of times, and depending on how many files you have on your hard drive, may take upto an hour. It should automatically remove and viruses or spyware it finds. You can see what it removes by clicking on View Log(once the scan has finished)

You can also try downloading startup control panel(http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml). It's a small executable which will list all programs that are set to run on start up. You can go through the tabs and uncheck items that you don't want. Viruses usually have a path of C:\Windows\System32 or C:\Documents and Settings. If you are unsure of something, try googling the exe, ex: cftmon.exe you can usually find a website which will tell you what the file is for.

If you haven't already done so i would also run a windows update.

Old
12-07-2008, 09:27 AM
HomaridII

Quote:

Spyware doctor said it removed things but I still have those popups once in a while, and expecially when I open my CPU...

What should I do next, anyone knows how I can deal with the logfile and find the spyware?
Try downloading Avira (free antivirus, IMO the best available) and SPyware Terminator (also free).

Old
12-07-2008, 11:57 AM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Back when I had a PC, thank God I've moved on to the light, I used Kaspersky, worth every penny.
There always someone willing to start up the Mac vs. PC argument here...

Old
12-07-2008, 11:59 AM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
There always someone willing to start up the Mac vs. PC argument here...
I wasn't starting anything, rofl, I just implied I had a Mac and didn't need to worry about viruses anymore.

Kaspersky is awesome, if viruses ever come to Mac, I hope they make a Mac version too.

Old
12-07-2008, 12:05 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
I wasn't starting anything, rofl, I just implied I had a Mac and didn't need to worry about viruses anymore.

Kaspersky is awesome, if viruses ever come to Mac, I hope they make a Mac version too.
Well if you didn't want to start anything you could have simply said, I used to use Kaspersky when I was using a PC.

Low key, non-arrogant/elitist which surprisingly a lot of Mac users come off as.

If Macs had more than 10% of the market they would be the target of some malicious software, sort of like how as Firefox grew in popularity it started to be targeted by usually IE only problems. But while they are in relative obscurity people who use macs will be safe from infection.

But that doesn't mean Macs can't be carriers. Macs can carry viruses from one PC to another just not experience any of the symptoms.

In fact just recently in an ironic twist Apple had made a statement saying they recommend the use of an Anti-Virus even if Mac is the more secure platform. But then was quickly withdraw after they realized one of their marketing pillars was based on its malware free environment.

Anyways way off-topic but yeah get AVG Free.

Old
12-07-2008, 12:09 PM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

vCash: 50
xoftspySE works also. However, I'd suggest the reformat. I do one every 6 months. Speeds things up and cleans everything up.

Old
12-07-2008, 12:11 PM
CareyClutch
Doing the job

Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
http://www.kaspersky.com/

download the 30 day trial version and scan your computer

Kaspersky is by far the best AV on the market

Old
12-07-2008, 12:11 PM
Ape Clutch

Send a message via MSN to Ape Clutch Send a message via Yahoo to Ape Clutch
Zone Alarm Security Suite

Old
12-07-2008, 01:29 PM
snakeye

Quote:

...now paste the logs here so we can see them

Old
12-07-2008, 01:31 PM
overlords
Hfboards

if going the kaspersky route, i hope you don't have a 64 bit OS because kaspersky doesn't seem to like them very much.

Old
12-07-2008, 01:51 PM
Plekanetzz

Ccleaner + Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware + hijackthis + AVG = solution

Old
12-07-2008, 03:33 PM
sheed36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason allison'fans View Post
http://www.kaspersky.com/

download the 30 day trial version and scan your computer

Kaspersky is by far the best AV on the market
Some people will argue that NOD32 is the best AV out there... I have used both Kaspersky and NOD32.Personally I prefer NOD32 but both work very good and are tops for AV protection.Can't go wrong with either...

Old
12-07-2008, 07:53 PM
Delat

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeye View Post
...now paste the logs here so we can see them
Can you read these kind of file...I'd like te send the logifle to someone if it can help...

Old
12-07-2008, 07:56 PM
Rayne*

Quote:
Well your taste in music/username certainly isn't indicative of moving into the light. Besides, this isn't a PC vs Mac thread.

Kaspersky is your best bet for an antivirus solution. NOD32 is a close second, but they both cost money.

Closed Thread