HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What's wrong with Kovalev???

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-07-2008, 02:55 PM
  #101
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RushDP View Post
Thanks for the non-link to the replay where you state that the puck was away from the action when Kovy got the penalty that did us in.

I can now see that you did not in fact watch any replay but are still providing an opinion that it was conclusive.

Provide a link to the replay you claim was conclusive. If you can't do so then at least admit your hate.
I've stated it before, from the replay that I saw on RDS, the puck was heading to the corner. Do you keep replays of every play in a game? I sure as hell don't. So don't ask for something you know can't be provided. It makes YOU look bad, not me.

As for the hate for Kovalev, I don't think I've even pretended to liking him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RushDP View Post
Aside from Koivu who was our #1 playoff performer who did more than Kovalev? He had game winning goals, was a factor all the time and was the first to publicly say it as it was: we outplayed the Flyers but the goalie beat us.

Where was the rest of the team is what you should be asking? Starting with Price followed by the young guys that helped get us to the playoffs. They all disappeared but hey what the hell just pin it on Kovy, who is the only reason we made the playoffs but we'll convenientely forget that part of the equation.
Who's the so-called star of this team, the one who's supposedly performing in the playoffs? Where was he two years ago down the stretch when we were battling to make the playoffs? I rest my case!

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 03:39 PM
  #102
kovalev47
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 710
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
I just saw the replay and the puck wasn't in the skates, it was heading to the corner... bad penalty, costly penalty.
Well to me it seemed like the Jersey guy embelished the trip slightly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
We should have traded him this summer when we had a chance and when his value was (finally) high! This guy really pisses me off on most nights. Give that same talent to Begin or transplant Begin's heart into Kovalev, and see him leading the NHL in scoring!
Well he isn't paid to play like that every night though. I mean if he played like that every night, he would be paid about 8 mil a season.

kovalev47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 04:14 PM
  #103
FerrisRox
Registered User
 
FerrisRox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,406
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
I've stated it before, from the replay that I saw on RDS, the puck was heading to the corner. Do you keep replays of every play in a game? I sure as hell don't. So don't ask for something you know can't be provided. It makes YOU look bad, not me.

As for the hate for Kovalev, I don't think I've even pretended to liking him.


Who's the so-called star of this team, the one who's supposedly performing in the playoffs? Where was he two years ago down the stretch when we were battling to make the playoffs? I rest my case!
Messier couldn't carry the Vancouver Canucks into the playoffs. Does that make him a bad playoff performer? How obtuse a point are you intending to make?

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 06:00 PM
  #104
guapo23
Registered User
 
guapo23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country:
Posts: 2,519
vCash: 500
Kovalev has been playing a lot better.
He is skating and getting open again.

I think Carbo should take away his penalty kill ice time.
He needs to rest a bit.
That way he will have more jump in his regular & PP shifts.

It is not like he is the best PK player anyway.
We have so many guys who can play on the PK.

What do you guys think ?

guapo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 06:16 PM
  #105
Nitehowl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: BC Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 966
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guapo23 View Post
Kovalev has been playing a lot better.
He is skating and getting open again.

I think Carbo should take away his penalty kill ice time.
He needs to rest a bit.
That way he will have more jump in his regular & PP shifts.

It is not like he is the best PK player anyway.
We have so many guys who can play on the PK.

What do you guys think ?
He shows some effort some games but he is so predictable on the PP .
And for those that say he has two people covering him, it is more like he goes toward the coverage instead of the open spots. He looks like he is pouting most games. For someone suppossedly so individually skilled he sure has a hard time working well with linemates. He is mostly a puck hog and thus his linemates aren't as involved . Look how AKost has played since being put on a different line.

Nitehowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 10:59 PM
  #106
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
Messier couldn't carry the Vancouver Canucks into the playoffs. Does that make him a bad playoff performer? How obtuse a point are you intending to make?
The only point is that we should have traded his sorry butt when his value was at its peak. That's my obtuse point.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 11:21 PM
  #107
prairie hab
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,305
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RushDP View Post
Are you suggesting that you should treat 4th liners and top liners the same way? There are too many 4th liners as is when they are all healthy so some will sit anyway but to sit top liners and replace them with 4th liners is dumb. Calling up from the farm for a few games is equally as dumb just to make a point and embarrass your key personel.

Higgins would react the right way, get the message and do better once back. Pleks may do the same or get alienated and go the other way. Kovy would just resent the embarrassment of being sat out and tune out the coach. I'd do the same if I was him.

A coach has to manage egos and get the best out of their players. Do you seriously believe that sitting Kovy will get the best out of him the next game? He is working hard despite what some haters say here and it is pretty hard to sit a guy that is working hard. Instead, you could take him aside and ask him what you could do together to make his game better. First, take him off the PK. Save him for PP and regular shifts, why give him extra ice during a PK when there are plenty of younger legs out there that can do that job? Second, Kovy on the half boards in a PP is exactly what the other team expects so change it up. They collapse on him and suffocate him so there is no real advantage to having him there. There are changes that can be made before we sit the guy and lose him for good. For no good reason other than to satisfy Kovy haters.

BTW, should we have sat Koivu for a couple of games last year because when it came to stupid boneheaded penalties at the worst time he took the cake. This year he has changed that aspect of his game and he has been amazing as captain. Gets better every game.
You sure read a lot into a short, concise post.

I never claimed Kovalev was not working hard lately, however, I disagree about your analysis regarding the different treatment of players. These guys are pro athletes, not high school players. Spare me the embarrassment factor - these guys have done a good enough job of that lately (O'byrne anyone???). You can't tell me players don't see things the way they are. Skilled players naturally get more ice time, but the "grinders" and effort guys have to impress to get minutes. And by the way, Carbo has somewhat "clouded" just exactly who a 4th liner is..........

I think Kovy should not be on the PK. His 5 on 5 defensive zone play is lacklustre at best because he refuses to head man the puck but instead tries to deke his way through everyone. He takes too long of shifts, and is just slumping right now. Higgins and Pleks are outright invisible and need the same treatment Lapierre, Begin, Dandy, Lats and S. Kost have received.

Let us not see this "depth problem" as a problem at all. Play the guys who win. Sit the guys who don't buy in from time to time. Make the game simpler for the "stars". Play them with the grunts if you have to in order to make a point. It is amazing how infectious effort is. D'Agostini has rejuvenated the squad lately - all because he goes to the net. A Kost feels he can free wheel knowing Koivu WILL GET HIM THE PUCK, unlike Kovy where you are always guessing what he will do.

I trust Carbo's judgment and he doesn't have to be liked. What he needs to get out of these guys is wins, and he will do just that.

prairie hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 06:25 AM
  #108
RushDP
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 825
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie hab View Post
You sure read a lot into a short, concise post.

I never claimed Kovalev was not working hard lately, however, I disagree about your analysis regarding the different treatment of players. These guys are pro athletes, not high school players. Spare me the embarrassment factor - these guys have done a good enough job of that lately (O'byrne anyone???). You can't tell me players don't see things the way they are. Skilled players naturally get more ice time, but the "grinders" and effort guys have to impress to get minutes. And by the way, Carbo has somewhat "clouded" just exactly who a 4th liner is..........

I think Kovy should not be on the PK. His 5 on 5 defensive zone play is lacklustre at best because he refuses to head man the puck but instead tries to deke his way through everyone. He takes too long of shifts, and is just slumping right now. Higgins and Pleks are outright invisible and need the same treatment Lapierre, Begin, Dandy, Lats and S. Kost have received.

Let us not see this "depth problem" as a problem at all. Play the guys who win. Sit the guys who don't buy in from time to time. Make the game simpler for the "stars". Play them with the grunts if you have to in order to make a point. It is amazing how infectious effort is. D'Agostini has rejuvenated the squad lately - all because he goes to the net. A Kost feels he can free wheel knowing Koivu WILL GET HIM THE PUCK, unlike Kovy where you are always guessing what he will do.

I trust Carbo's judgment and he doesn't have to be liked. What he needs to get out of these guys is wins, and he will do just that.
How did I read too much into your post? You made a statement and I replied to it. It was pretty clear what you meant.

I agree that Kovy should be saved for offense alone and not be on PK. I also think it is time to rethink the PP because the teams have adjusted to Kovy on the half boards. It is not by reducing his ice time that you will get more out of him it is by using him properly. If he is at 80% of last season production we'll be OK. At $4M he is doing what we pay him for. At $7M I'd be the first to want a trade.

RushDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 07:52 AM
  #109
BadHabit
Registered User
 
BadHabit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,593
vCash: 500
It's just Kovy being Kovy. (Kovy = Manny Ramirez)

He does some great stuff, he does some bad stuff.

I think everyone needs to calm down a bit. He wins way more games than he loses for us, and we would really miss him if he wasn't here. He is still the only guy we have who can skate into the opposing zone on a regular basis to setup and literally control the play all on his own.

You take the good you take the bad you take them both and there you have the facts of life.

BadHabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 08:02 AM
  #110
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto
 
Andrighetto Fabolous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
The only point is that we should have traded his sorry butt when his value was at its peak. That's my obtuse point.
To be honest it's not like Kovalev was a young guy in his prime after last season, GM's know Kovalev is inconsistent so I doubt many teams were lining up to trade for a 35 year old who just had one of his best seasons in the NHL.

Even though Kovalev hasn't been great offensively this year he's been doing other things well such as penalty killing, so I don't get all the hate he's still receiving. Once he scores a goal and breaks his slump the goals will start coming for him and then people will all be in love with Kovalev again.

Andrighetto Fabolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 02:07 PM
  #111
smon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,016
vCash: 500
Yeah, he's obviously useful to have. He's easily the most talented player on the team, and he's got the most offensive skills. But he's not the clutch player that some think he is.

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 02:10 PM
  #112
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 33,738
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwishihadacup View Post
Kovalev is really starting to cost us some points

I would like to see him go down for a few games to let a more hungry player take his place, would be very nice
Kovy's problem is not hunger, he's snakebitten goal scoring wise and he's trying to be a bit too perfect, he needs to start shooting a lot more and a few will find their way in.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 02:53 PM
  #113
mariolemieux66
Registered User
 
mariolemieux66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Vancouver
Country: Japan
Posts: 1,414
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to mariolemieux66
Kovalev does'nt pass the puck enough, he has to adjust. The way things are now team kind of double team him and because he does'nt pass the puck and does'nt have great speed does'nt end up anywhere. If kovalev start to pass the puck to is linemates that are free and those put the puck in the net, other team will have to adjust to this which will mean that they would have to put less emphasis into double teaming Kovalev and this will create more space for Kovalev.He seems to work hard enough.I still dont know if Montreal can win the cup with him .

mariolemieux66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 01:03 AM
  #114
FerrisRox
Registered User
 
FerrisRox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,406
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
The only point is that we should have traded his sorry butt when his value was at its peak. That's my obtuse point.
That's a foolish theory, not an obtuse point.

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 01:13 AM
  #115
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
That's a foolish theory, not an obtuse point.
And that's your opinion, nothing more, nothing less.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 01:15 AM
  #116
Stradale
Registered User
 
Stradale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,000
vCash: 500
Whats wrong with Kovy is that hes on a slump. His shot just dont go though the goal line. Thats it.

Hes on pace for a 60 pts season, isnt that what everybody should expect? Its so easy to blame Kovalev for everything because he got a really good season last year, he was the key of the PP and all his teammated depended on him on the pp, so some people are expecting him to be the savior again. This year, Kovalev is being watched twice more on the PP, so he cannot do what he did last year but his teammates cannot find another way to score without Kovy. So instead of blaming Kovy for being predictable or whatever on the PP, maybe his teammates should find something more creative. Its not likie Kovalev is keeping the puck for himself during the 2 minutes.

Kovalev production 5 on 5 is probably even or better than last year. The reason Kovalev is on the slump is because our PP is on a slump.

Blame him all you want but he still have more points than Tanguay and his game was more much simple for the last couple of game. He crashed the net more, keeping the puck less, short pass, i dont think theres anything wrong about his game.

Now, whats wrong with Higgins, whats wrong with Plekanec, whats wrong with Tanguay. Thats more my concern.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2008, 02:43 PM
  #117
guapo23
Registered User
 
guapo23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country:
Posts: 2,519
vCash: 500
No one really answered my point.

I think he is getting too much ice time.

Take away his PK time and he will have way more energy & jump in his regular & PP shifts.

We have tons of players who can play on the PK.

Problem solved.

guapo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:16 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.