Giordano
Lombardi

CDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 10:36 AM
Snoil11

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Snoil11 Send a message via Yahoo to Snoil11
St. Louis is still in rebuilding mode, so targeting one of their blue-chip prospects voids any trade proposal. If you wanna trade with St. Louis, consider players like Tkachuk, McDonald, Hinote and Legace.

Snoil11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 11:35 AM
Congo

Oh man, McDonald would look real darn good in a Flames uniform...

Congo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 12:41 PM
DBU
343 Guilty Spark

vCash: 50
To Calgary:
Andy McDonald

To St. Louis:
Matthew Lombardi
2nd round pick

Value-wise? And would it make sense?

DBU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 12:57 PM
Congo

I think it might take a bit more than that, but I'm not sure. It's hard to judge someone's value when you haven't watched them play for a while. That said, that trade might not make as much sense for the Flames. Removing Lombardi (as much as I think he's incredible) would put McDonald between Cammalleri and Iginla, which would be a pretty formidable top line. Then we still have Langkow centering the second line, so we'd have two solid scoring lines, coupled with our awesome 3rd and 4th lines. But has that really made the team better? To me, it seems too close to a lateral move. Sure, the top line gets a bit better, but we lose our best penalty killer, so is it really worth it?

Congo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 01:12 PM
DBU
343 Guilty Spark

vCash: 50
That, plus we don't even have a second. Chicago has it =/

DBU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 03:10 PM
flamesfan12

Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
I'm not a fan of McDonald. Not really interested in trading a guy like Lombardi for him.

flamesfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 03:34 PM
Lanny'sDaMan

vCash: 1075
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDR View Post
I think Flames need to strengthen their squad
I could not disagree more. With the exception of Bertuzzi (and he's just lazy, tho showing signs of improvement) I think our team is perfect. They just need to continue working hard and playing as a team.

Lanny'sDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 05:55 PM
Hyperkookeez*

basically gio and lombo for perron and polak

perron is great as is but the price is a bit steep for potential

Hyperkookeez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 06:14 PM
Abonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny'sDaMan View Post
I could not disagree more. With the exception of Bertuzzi (and he's just lazy, tho showing signs of improvement) I think our team is perfect. They just need to continue working hard and playing as a team.
I really don't think that our team is perfect. There is clear room for improvement. The flames haev a solid team no doubt, but I don't see them as being in the same class as SJ or Detroit.

Regardless, I don't understand proposals that have the flames looking for more scoring...We still need another legit, top 4 d-man and that need should trump any offensive concern.

Abonics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 07:13 PM
JorgeRocks!

big fan of polak, but do not reallly want to give up lombardi though, but i guess you have to give up to get quality players. st.louis is a young rebuilding team, and i think may as well acquire more prospects and picks. for calgary, i would very much like to see a trade based around giordano for polak, maybe

St. Louis
Giordano
Draft pick in 2010 (3rd to 5th rounder????)

Calgary
Polak

JorgeRocks! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 09:27 PM
flamesfan12

Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeRocks! View Post
big fan of polak, but do not reallly want to give up lombardi though, but i guess you have to give up to get quality players. st.louis is a young rebuilding team, and i think may as well acquire more prospects and picks. for calgary, i would very much like to see a trade based around giordano for polak, maybe

St. Louis
Giordano

Calgary
Polak
Is Polak even a puck moving defenceman? I just don't see the need to move a guy like Giordano for a stay at home guy like Polak. I don't know much about Polak, but didn't think he had much for offensive potential. I could be wrong though.

flamesfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 09:36 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeRocks! View Post

St. Louis
Giordano

Calgary
Polak
Giordano > Polak... nevermind with Calgary adding something to the deal... not a chance

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 09:47 PM
Northern Neighbour

Polak has a pretty good upside and is playing top-4 minutes as a 21-year old. I would deal Giordano and a pick for Polak and I wouldn't think twice about it.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 10:15 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Neighbour View Post
Polak has a pretty good upside and is playing top-4 minutes as a 21-year old. I would deal Giordano and a pick for Polak and I wouldn't think twice about it.
Giordano is also playing top 4 minutes... on a better team... Giordano is locked up for 2 more season at under a million... he has shown has the ability to be an impact defenseman this season... there is no logical reason to move him at this point in time for someone who likely won't be any better

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 11:22 PM
Wags

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
Giordano is also playing top 4 minutes... on a better team... Giordano is locked up for 2 more season at under a million... he has shown has the ability to be an impact defenseman this season... there is no logical reason to move him at this point in time for someone who likely won't be any better
Well put, while Giordano has shown the odd defensive brain-fart, we definitely need him on the team, as he brings assets to the table that we are sorely lacking in our other dman, such as his ability to advance the puck.

Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 01:09 AM
GoFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wags View Post
Well put, while Giordano has shown the odd defensive brain-fart, we definitely need him on the team, as he brings assets to the table that we are sorely lacking in our other dman, such as his ability to advance the puck.
Hmmm fair enough, honestly Gio is really impressing me.... he has come far in 25 or so games. If this keeps up he could be a legit top 4 next year to fill in for Aucoin as he is likely moving on as a UFA. Lanny I nearly agree that the team is perfect (winning games is the goal post)... but if we could trade up a bit to add even more fire power in a guy like Kovalchuk (if they ever trade him) I would be open to ideas but in a nut shell this team is looking great!

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 06:30 AM
Dions shoulder

Giordano has been second only to Regehr defensively since the SJ game. No way we get rid of him, his trade value is much less than his value to the team.

Dions shoulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 09:30 AM
Northern Neighbour

Giordano has been playing better, but he's more of a #5/#6 defenceman. He's averaging 17:34 a game, which actually puts him 2nd-from-the-bottom of all Flames defencemen, trailing Phaneuf, Regehr, Aucoin, Sarich, and Vandermeer. While he's been pretty good of late, let's not overexaggerate his value and potential.

If the team was able to acquire a 22-year old defenceman with top-3 potential for Giordano, they should make the move. Polak could contribute now. He's averaging almost 20 minutes a game (19:47 to be exact), which is 3rd amongst all Blues' defenders. He makes an excellent first pass, plays sound defensive hockey, and can also play on the PP. Another benefit is that he's a right-handed shot. I think he would be a great partner for Phaneuf and be part of the team's core for a very long time.

Anyway, I don't see St. Louis trading Polak unless a team was willing to overpay, and Giordano plus a mid-round pick isn't exactly an overpayment.

Old
12-08-2008, 10:06 AM
Snoil11

Send a message via ICQ to Snoil11 Send a message via Yahoo to Snoil11
Do you really think, St. Louis regards Polak as a (future) top-three defensemen?

Snoil11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 10:35 AM
Northern Neighbour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoil11 View Post
Do you really think, St. Louis regards Polak as a (future) top-three defensemen?
I think they do. I think they envision him to be Jay McKee's replacement. Heck, he's already playing more minutes than McKee and only trails Brewer and Jackman in ice time. He and Erik Johnson would make a great pairing.

I like Polak. He's a steady, mobile defenceman that can make a very good first pass. He's not as offensive as Giordano, but he's a big body that can move and could fit in on most teams' top-4 and should be a very good #3 guy in the future. He's a cross between the Sabres' Henrik Tallinder and the Flames' Corey Sarich, but with more upside than Sarich.