HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12/6/08: Nashville vs. Minnesota

Old
12-07-2008, 12:47 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
It is a silly in-game clip. I'm surprised it hasn't been replaced by now.

Last year at this point in time, our goaltending situation was in shambles, Weber was injured, and you still heard many questioning Suter as a long-term fixture on this team. This year, our goaltending is not in question. Rinne looks like a legitimate future starter. Ellis has played well. The drafting of Pickard shores up our future even more. Weber is probably the leading Norris candidate right now, and Suter is just behind him in terms of overall performance. This team has issues, but at least it looks like we are solidifying on the backend and in net.
Suter finally looks like what he was drafted to be...a top notch two-way defenseman. We've seen flashes in years passed, but he seems to have found consistency.

Factor in that Zanon has actually been better this year as well, and even De Vries isn't looking too bad...our defense\goal situation is about as solid as it's been in a few years.

Joel Ward has been a pleasant surprise, Antti Pihlstrom looks like he belongs, Belak is probably the best playing-enforcer we've ever had...Trotz hasn't been trying to force Fiddler and Tootoo into roles they're not fitted to.

I think this actually has the ingredients to be a pretty good team this year. I think that if we could get ONE MORE legitimate scoring threat...be it through trade, Sullivan or Radulov coming back...whatever...this could be the best TEAM we've ever had. There's heart here that I haven't seen since 03-04.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 12:57 PM
Nitrous Mafia

Did Belak play any after the fight? I don't remember seeing him.

Don't like the booing of Zidlicky either.

Ward isn't as bad as he was the beginning of the year.

Nitrous Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 01:19 PM
Soundgarden

Wow, this is the first two pager I've seen.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 01:40 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by bburton86 View Post
Did Belak play any after the fight? I don't remember seeing him.

Don't like the booing of Zidlicky either.

Ward isn't as bad as he was the beginning of the year.
Zidlicky got into it with Hamhuis at the end of the game, and it looked like he clearly instigated the situation. He got what he deserved IMO.

12-07-2008, 01:50 PM
Joretus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Rinne was still a backup in Europe
Not behind bad goalie tho

Good to see him doing well, soon every team having good finnish goalie in the league

Btw. Lassila is doing fine in SM-liiga and not ruling out NHL yet(not likely tho) in his career.

Joretus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 02:08 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joretus View Post
Not behind bad goalie tho

Good to see him doing well, soon every team having good finnish goalie in the league

Btw. Lassila is doing fine in SM-liiga and not ruling out NHL yet(not likely tho) in his career.
No, Rinne was behind one of the best. The story that has been repeated multiple times throughout the organization is that when we sent someone over there to scout him, they were rushed to the arena two hours before game time and he kept wanting to know why...the answer simply was that warmups was the only time you would see Rinne on the ice.

Last edited by Seth Lake: 12-07-2008 at 07:32 PM.
Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2008, 07:03 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by urho View Post
Has he really been that bad? At least he had 2 assists in game against Colorado lately... But i guess it's about his defensive game?
I'm going to resist the temptation to rant about Koistinen's horrific performance against Colorado.

When he was announced as a scratch, I'm pretty sure I impulsively praised Jesus. Some chick in the row in front of me looked back and said, "What?!" as in "Are you crazy? Trotz is making a huge mistake!"

Klein played well enough to keep VK out of the lineup. I think Trotz saw that as well, judging by his post-game comments. I would play him against St. Louis and Vancouver and let him, as Trotz might say, "build some consistency."

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 12:09 AM
deleted

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Klein played well enough to keep VK out of the lineup. I think Trotz saw that as well
God I hope so, it's about time he got another chance. Now he just needs to take full advantage cause I can see Trotz starting to scratch him again in a second.

deleted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 12:47 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

One of the best things about this game for me was seeing Klein have a solid effort and actually hearing Trotz say something about it. I almost didn't believe it. I'm so over Koistinen.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2008, 04:08 AM
sparkle twin
Real Deal

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
That was a great win. Legwand with another great game! I thought this was going to be another game like the STL game a few weeks ago. Both goalies made some unbelievable saves. Very good discipline. Every time Minnesota seemed to be getting some momentum Rinne stopped play or we cleared the puck and were able to turn the momentum right around with our own pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
-Hilarious that there was a wave of cheering\applause when Koistinen was announced as a healthy scratch. Can't say I didn't join in.

-Pihlstrom is probably the fastest skater on the team at this point, and hits like a tank. He's giving 130 percent...if he can somehow find his hands, he's going to be a deadly player. 5 shots tonight, and despite Erat being mired in a cold streak, that ELP line consistently looks dangerous. Legwand looks like a completely different player lately, though that might also be because of his public call-out.

-I don't get the booing of Zidlicky every time he touches the puck. It's not a Kariya situation. I know that he wasn't the most popular player when he was here among fans, but I don't really hold any ill-will toward him.

-I never thought I would miss Bud "like the beer" Ford "like the truck," but this "Mac" chimp is unbearable. If you stand out front immediately following the game, you can watch him make a beeline to leave. Combine that with his stream of slipping on easy names and annoying voice...ugh.

-Is anyone else...kind of worried about attendance? It was 14404 announced, tonight...but that included the free admission for military, plus who knows how many other free tickets given out. In a season that we *must* average 14K...I am afraid we're going to actually fall below what we even had last year. It's depressing that we came so close to losing the team--got a second chance--and it's right back to where it was. The team is doing its job...I've never seen so much advertising, from billboards to commercials to print ads to radio spots to promotion...but it's the same old story. Have to hope it picks up after Titans\College Football season...it usually does, but it's a cop-out to keep accepting the poor crowds because of those factors. You can't keep using those strawman arguments when teams like Tampa Bay...just as ensconced in college sports and the NFL as Nashville, but with a worse team...routinely draw good crowds. That said, I think that they'd have a little easier time selling tickets if players like Joel Ward weren't getting first line minutes. I was a little refreshed to hear Poile admit that they'd like one more top true top six scoring forward...but it's a little "i'll believe it when I see it."

I'll stop there, because I really didn't intend for this post to sound so negative. We played possibly the best period I've seen all year in the first, and shut down a team that has historically given us a lot of trouble. Great win, 3 in a row...let's build on it in STL on Monday. 4 games this week.
-I was too shocked that Trotz actually scratched Koistinen to cheer for him being scratched.

-I thought that ELP line was one of the best the whole night. They didn't get any points but they had a lot of chances. Legwand played great again. Maybe Pihlstrom is exactly what Legwand/Erat need to get them going again.

-I didn't like the booing of Zidlicky either. As far as we know, he didn't ask to be traded and he wasn't a FA we were trying to re-sign, he was just traded. Once Timonen left, Zidlicky just wasn't as effective and we had others that could take his place so we traded him.

-That new guy gets on my nerves because he stumbles through everything and has to read word for word the script for every contest they do. You would think that after doing some of these things multiple times now he would know basically what is going on.

-I seriously thought there was more than 14,4 there last night. I guess there is more advertising, but I don't really notice it. I hear the spots on the radio with Weber/Suter but I usually hear them on the sports channels. And I see the commercials, but again, usually while already watching a game. Maybe it's because I have season tickets and know when the games are, but most of it doesn't stand out to me anymore like when it was new 3 months ago.

-Some of the football arguments are warranted this season. The media here is so far up the titans ass and with the Titans at 12-1, Fulmer fired/Kiffin hired that's all that's on the radio/tv/papers. Even Vandy going to a bowl game doesn't get as much air time as they should. We have all been complaining about the lack of coverage for the Preds but when even Dan Ellis complains and is asking for a little bit more coverage, you know it's bad. These sports shows on Sunday nights spend about 15-20 minutes on the Titans and about 20-45 seconds on the Preds. Channel 4 tonight had a story on the step-by-step process of how they make those t-shirts for the titans with the 2 RBs on them, but had nothing about the Preds (as a side note, they think it's so wonderful with this ONE shirt? Please. In other football towns you find tons of those kinds of shirts everywhere). If Hope Hines can pronounce the players name I consider that a small miracle. I mean, how many times do I have to hear or see the same stories about the giant tape ball in the titans locker room. When the Predators visit hospitals or help in the Toys for Tots drives there is no story. When the Titans do the same things, it's a story in the regular news portion of the newscasts. I know that the Preds don't do these things for recognition, but when Hamhuis and deVries dress up as Winnie the Pooh and Tigger, I'm sorry, that deserves to be on TV. We barely get front page stories in the paper, unless it's about Boots/JB/money issues. There's no articles about getting to know our players and their road to the NHL. There were 11 other games in the NHL on Saturday. Guess how many recaps were in the paper. Five. When the Titans are over and there is nothing left to talk about, then they'll start talking about the Preds. Until then they choose to basically ignore anything not Oiler blue. Whether it's the media or "fans", this town simply cannot follow two sports at once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Zidlicky got into it with Hamhuis at the end of the game, and it looked like he clearly instigated the situation. He got what he deserved IMO.
At the end of the game, yes. But not during the game when he hadn't done anything to warrant booing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predanerd View Post
One of the best things about this game for me was seeing Klein have a solid effort and actually hearing Trotz say something about it. I almost didn't believe it. I'm so over Koistinen.
Seriously. Usually Klein's performance is qualified with a "He did some good things, but..." from Trotz. I was happy with Klein.

Last edited by sparkle twin: 12-08-2008 at 04:18 AM.
sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote